Subject: [Spridgets] Rearden metal

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 00:34:20 -0500

I find myself for the first time machining some 7075 Aluminum alloy on the
lathe the other evening.

This is my new favorite metal.  It is as strong and hard as many steels yet
it machines very easily.

The presence of chromium in this alloy does not go unnoticed.  The surface
finish is spectacular.  When cut with a fine tool you get that prismatic
effect, like looking at a CD. This happens with other aluminum alloys to
some extent, but they soon dull over after short time.  7075 stays bright.

I can't believe I've wasted my whole life messing around with 6061.

I'll have to get some more of this stuff.  It's expensive from the big
online vendors like McMaster or MSC, but there are a couple guys on ebay
with very reasonable prices.

In fact I've discovered ebay is the way to go for metal stock.  You can
often find oddball stuff that people have left over from big projects that
they just want to get rid of. I was able to get four foot of bearing grade
stainless steel rod like this.  The shipping cost more than the rod!  The
same stuff from McMaster would have cost over $150.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 07:03:55 -0500 (EST)

Aren't you going to tell us what you're making?

In a message dated 15/12/2012 05:34:27 Coordinated Universal Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 13:10:26 -0500

Yea, a dark steel blue.

The lathe is an old "Atlas".  Go figure.

I actually don't machine very much.  The lathe was a gift from an old
friend.  It was in sorry shape at that time.  I have spent some money
over the years to revive it, and although it is usable it still could
stand some more renovations.

I usually use it to make things to repair other things.
This current project is probably the grandest undertaking.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jody Kerr [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:33 AM
To: Dean Hedin
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Rearden metal

Hey Dan,

If you're going to call it Rearden Metal you totally need to have it
anodized blue. :)

Jody
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Haynes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 20:50:47 GMT

Not to mention the yield strength is almost double that of 6061 (~55ksi vs
~30ksi) That's why my adjustable radius rods are made from it!

Mark Haynes
It only goes one way-Pay it Forward
HAN6L12977
AN5L8016

------------------------------

____________________________________________________________
Woman is 53 But Looks 25
Mom reveals 1 simple wrinkle trick that has angered doctors...
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/50cf85c01e3215c051b0st02duc
------------------------

[email-masked]