Subject: Re: [Spridgets] How it's made. Episode 498 Judson Rotor.

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 19:30:08 -0500

It's a limited audience.  I'm not sure if I want to make many more of these.
I've only delved into it because all the pieces had come together and I have
some unused vacation time to do it in.

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2012 5:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] How it's made. Episode 498 Judson Rotor.

Hi Dean,
 
You ought to write all this up and send it to a car magazine for a feature.
If they use it an pay you it will help pay for tools and material and maybe
get you some orders to make some more.
 
Regards
 
Weslake-Monza 1330

In a message dated 20/12/2012 21:23:50 Coordinated Universal Time,
[email-masked] writes:

I still can't believe I pulled this off.  It took a long time to cut those
dang slots. 1.5 hours each.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 20:44:28 -0500

Almost there...Finished the third slot on the second rotor.

It appears that the surplus, gear reduced, drive motor that I had puchased
may years ago for $60
was probably NOT designed to spin a 6" diameter, 3/16" saw blade, through
almost 2" of aircraft 
grade aluminum.

She's starting to make some unhappy noises now.  Sort of an nasty
backlashing sound coming from what I
presume are the "planeteries".  I've re-filled the lube in the gear box with
some extra thick "STP like" 
oil additive I had laying around with the hope that this might help "cushion
the blows" - or so to speak.

I think it is the case that I will be very lucky if I am able to complete
the final slot on the second rotor.

I'm going to keen up the blade with my diamond stone, take very shallow
cuts, and hope for the best.
This final slot may take much longer than the 1.5 hours the others took.

So it is with the way of these things.  The almost perfect combination of a
variety of complex interplays,
taking years in coming together, for a few moments, and then suddenly a link
in the chain breaks and all is lost. 
  
Wish me luck, and to you all, have a great holiday!
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 23:53:23 -0500

Hey it's snowing here in Pennsylvannia... 
http://tinyurl.com/cqoly87

Slot chip snow. Thought I'd show you the mess that all this makes.

The last slot has been cut.  Yeeha.  

A little lesson learned (if you are ever doing something like this).  
Apply STP to the sides of the saw blade.  It creates a hydrodynamic damper 
that helps reduce chatter.  Made a big difference.

I have one more operation that I am going to do with the big saw.
I'm going to mill a tiny amount of the outside edge of the slot.
On the worn out rotor this sharp edge would dig into the back side of the
vane.
------------------------

[email-masked]