Subject: Re: [Spridgets] How it's made. Episode 498 Judson Rotor.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 05:09:14 -0500 (EST)

Hi Dean,
 
You ought to write all this up and send it to a car magazine for a  
feature.  If they use it an pay you it will help pay for tools and material  and 
maybe get you some orders to make some more.
 
Regards
 
Weslake-Monza 1330

In a message dated 20/12/2012 21:23:50 Coordinated Universal Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I still  can't believe I pulled this off.  It took a long time to cut  those
dang slots. 1.5 hours each.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 17:01:55 +0000 (UTC)

It's been awhile since I have been on the list. However, I thought I would
update how my Judson SC has been running. The unit has approx. 3000 miles on
it and is still performing very well. I have been adding 1 oz of Miracle to 1
gal of gas. Not having any overheating issues.

The unit has Torlon 4435 bladesB The housing bore treatedB with ECAT's thin
film wear resistant coating ZN54. The specs on the coating are 3000
microhardness , .06 coefficient of friction, 2-5 microns coating thickness,
1560 F max. working temperature.B 

One of these days I plan to tear it down to see how the inside is wearing. I
think a good point would be 5000 miles.

B 

Merry Christmas

Allen

----- Original Message -----

From: " derf " <derf247@ gmail .com>
To: "Dean Hedin " <[email-masked]>
Cc: " Spridgets " < spridgets @ autox .team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 11:47:41 PM
Subject: Re: [ Spridgets ] How it's made. Episode 498 Judson Rotor.

When I had my Judson I contemplated coating the inside surface with Teflon
or Ceramic or something to help with friction.
Never got around to doing it, though.
------------------------
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 15:22:40 -0500

I haven't noticed any wear issues with the bore of my unit.  

I had honed it out some time ago and once it had broken in, the bore took 

on a polish and has remained this way ever since.

I believe the orginal vane material has much to do with how the bore wears.

But I am intrigued by the low friction aspect of the coating. 

How much does it cost to coat the bore in the ZN54?

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2012 12:02 PM
To: derf
Cc: Spridgets; Dean Hedin
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] How it's made. Episode 498 Judson Rotor.

It's been awhile since I have been on the list. However, I thought I would
update how my Judson SC has been running. The unit has approx. 3000 miles on
it and is still performing very well. I have been adding 1 oz of Miracle to
1 gal of gas. Not having any overheating issues.

The unit has Torlon 4435 blades The housing bore treated with ECAT's thin
film wear resistant coating ZN54. The specs on the coating are 3000
microhardness, .06 coefficient of friction, 2-5 microns coating thickness,
1560 F max. working temperature. 

Merry Christmas

Allen

  _____  

From: "derf" <[email-masked]>
To: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Spridgets" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 11:47:41 PM
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] How it's made. Episode 498 Judson Rotor.

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 14:30:11 +0000 (UTC)

This coating is typically used to coat the feed barrles of injection molding
equipment. They do not want the material sticking as its fed into the molds.
The low friction really appealed to me in combination with the torlon. My goal
was to reduce the heat because these superchargers were known to overheat. So
far I seem to have achived the goal.

It's beenB  a while since this was done. But, I'm thinking it was around $
300.00 for the coating. Also, I did have the bore machined prior to the
coating to make sure it was true.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
To: "kramer allen" <[email-masked]>, "derf" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Spridgets" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2012 3:22:40 PM
Subject: RE: [Spridgets] How it's made. Episode 498 Judson Rotor.

I havenbt noticed any wear issues with the bore of my unit. B 

I had honed it out some time ago and onceB  it had broken in, the bore took

onB  a polish and ha s remained this way ever since.

B 

B 

B 

Merry Christmas

Allen

----- Original Message -----

[email-masked]