Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Octane Averaging

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 19:24:15 -0700

Bob Spruck wrote:
> If I mix equal amounts of 110 and 100 octane race gas, will it average
> out to 105? 110 is too much, 100 is too little, 105 is just right in my
> 11:1 engine. Seems logical to me but I thought I better ask.
>

Actually it isn't quite linear.  It would be more like 4 gallons of 100 
and 2 of 110
would do it.  I thought I had a reference handy, can't seem to find it.

mjb.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 18:29:03 -0800

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
There'll be a test on Friday.
====================================================
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mark J Bradakis
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 6:24 PM
To: Bob Spruck
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Octane Averaging

> 11:1 engine. Seems logical to me but I thought I better ask.
==========================================
Actually it isn't quite linear.  It would be more like 4 gallons of 100 
and 2 of 110
would do it.  I thought I had a reference handy, can't seem to find it.

mjb.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 21:29:40 -0500

I don't know the answer to your question.  But I'm curious - how did you
decide 110 is too much and 100 is too little?

Rick

Sent from my keyboard

On Dec 4, 2012, at 9:14 PM, Bob Spruck <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Point of reference, here in Georgia Sunoco 110 is going for $9.99 a
> gallon and 100 is $7.99. Probably be more at the track!
>
> Bob
> ------------------------
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 00:11:47 -0500

I think it depends on what the additives are in each type of gas that are
used to raise the octane.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bob Spruck
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 9:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Spridgets] Octane Averaging

Bob
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 12:35:48 -0500

> But I'm curious - how did you decide 110 is too much and 100 is too 
> little?

At the very high RPMs in racing, is it really advantageous to use 
slower-burning gas - a  timing thing?  Or is there some other factor in 
effect?

Michael Rowe
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 16:09:04 -0500

The archives are currently not working, so:

I thought I polarized my generator following instructions online - + battery 
terminal to small wire on generator.  But I can't get a voltage reading off 
either the generator or the battery when the engine is running.  Just now, I 
got a lower reading on the battery after running the engine a bit for 
testing, then turning it off.

When the engine is running, the headlights get brighter with RPM.  That 
indicatest that there is output from the generator, but it is not getting to 
the battery.  So why can't I read any output at the generator?

What are the symptoms of a dead generator other than no output at all?  What 
are the symptoms of a dead regulator?

Michael Rowe
The Holy Sprite
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 16:51:47 -0500

Watch this video......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH_yIeKsBSM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Rick

Sent from my keyboard

terminal to small wire on generator.  But I can't get a voltage reading off
either the generator or the battery when the engine is running.  Just now, I
got a lower reading on the battery after running the engine a bit for testing,
then turning it off.
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 17:12:56 -0500

Watch this video......

Perfect.  Thanks Rick.

Michael Rowe
------------------------

[email-masked]