Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Source for Wire Wheels

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 23:16:52 -0600 cv=N9uDKkb2Yi2ZV4O13hbhmNYLbEXZvhtlycSAN4eAjDA= c=1 sm=0 a=4iTdmI3mFFUA:10 a=X6EWi9_stYMA:10 a=pVMl2t813bUA:10 a=IkcTkHD0fZMA:10 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=Mf1v_7_OAAAA:8 a=R56OT9UGuX9eb5RLdf4A:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=J0aUVQLP0FIA:10 a=m3MdUl94G8cA:10 a=VgdHWzi9AekA:10 a=HpAAvcLHHh0Zw7uRqdWCyQ==:117

I donbt know about what chrome wire wheels you were looking at byt the 
dayton chrome wire wheels on the BJ8 I just bought have tubes and bands... 
Every www wheel I have seen, chrome or painted, has had tubes and bands 
EXCEPT for a WW they make that is tubeless but the price is astronomical and 
the individual o rings they use on each spoke must become a nightmare 
sometime down the road.

Leo

-----Original Message----- 
From: Bob Spruck
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Spridgets] Source for Wire Wheels

Well, my '73 Midget is close to being back on the road after a long
engine and hydraulic system rebuild. I do need new wire wheels as mine
were bent out of true when the local tire shop mounted them using the
wrong equipment and the tires are hard as rocks.

Who would you all recommend I buy the wire wheels from? Any bargains out
there? I hate to use VB or Moss just on general principles and Coker's
prices were way out of line. They did specify bands and tubes with the
painted wheels and neither with chrome wheels. The chrome wheels ended
up being cheaper than the painted ones with the bands and tubes. Seems
strange to me. Anybody know why chrome wheels don't need tubes and
painted ones do?

How about tires? The old ones are 175/70-13 BFG and they fit and looked
good and didn't rub on the RWAs.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations,

Bob
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked] 
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 00:19:32 -0500

New wire wheels are not going to be inexpensive, no matter where you go.
I prefer the painted wheels over the chrome. But that's just me.

I could not find anybody to mount wires wheels.  So I learned how to do it 
myself.  Given your experience it sounds like I made the right choice.  

It is actually easier than I thought it would be.  I did it with two tire
irons from harbor freight.  I mounted a spare axle half shaft in the bench
vise pointed up, and used it to hold the wheel while I mounted the tire.    

The least expensive approach is to refurb old wheels, but it is a lot of
work.  It entails buying a multitude of used wire wheels (craigslist, flea
markets, etc) and picking out the best of the lot.  I am amazed at how many
used wire wheels I find at rock bottom prices on Craigslist.  Somebody
actually gave me a wire wheel at a car show this past year.  

People talk about "truing" lbc wire wheels like they were bicycle wheels.
It's a total fallacy.  I never happens.    

The ones that I have found to be out of true were because somebody hit them
on the curb.  In other words, the rims get bent.  I have not seen the case
where the rim was out of line with the hub where spoke truing could be
applied.  And "oh by the way", I've laced my own custom bicycle wheels, so I
know what is involved here (I was taught how to true a motorcycle wheel by
an elderly Italian motorcycle mechanic back in the early 80's).

So I spent quite a bit of time, "unbending" some of the rims I had acquired.
I did it on a cast iron table saw top.  Big "C" clamps, sledge hammer,
whatever it took.  I rigged up two wooden blocks with holes to mount an axle
half shaft. This allowed me to spin the wheels and test for trueness.  

Loose and broken spokes are a little more common.  For this reason the worst
wheel of the lot is turned into the "spoke donor".  We do this because
spokes purchased from the suppliers are very expensive. 

Of course, sand blasting, chemical paint stripping, primering and painting
are also involved.  But this is a hobby..yes?
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 00:36:41 -0500

Yep,

The best inner tubes are, Kenda, Michelin, and those really exspensive ones
from the
UK that have the outside threads on the valvestem so you can lock the
valvestem into position.

NAPA used to sell the Kenda's at a bargain price of $14. But I went back to
order two more and
they raised the price and I got one Kenda and something else from China.

Moss's inner tubes suck.

Just from these developments alone we can see that the world is going to
hell in a handbasket.

I have the same issue trying to find decent bicycle inner tubes BTW.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:17 AM
To: Bob Spruck; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Source for Wire Wheels

Leo
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Fornal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 04:16:46 -0600

There are no longer any decent bicycle inner tubes any more. I have
purchased barn find bikes, that the tubes will STILL hold air. Buy a tube
from Wal-Mart, or an expensive bike shop, and either of them will leak down
in 2 to 3 weeks.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:36 PM, Dean Hedin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I donb t know about what chrome wire wheels you were looking at byt the
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
>

-- 
DON JULIO 1942

http://tequilabrad.com/
------------------------

[email-masked]