Subject: Re: [Spridgets] LBCs and Beatles

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 15:04:36 -0400 (EDT)

While the Jag XK and A-M SB straight sixes look the similar they are  
apparently quite different.  The oil filler/breather is in a similar place  at 
the front and top of both engines but I think only the DB one has a  filler.
 
I think the XK has more main bearings than the DB which is what makes it a  
better engine. Not sure on valve sizes angles etc except there are a bunch 
of  extra specials for the XK (D-type, wide angle etc).
 
Weslake-Monza 1330

In a message dated 31/10/2012 23:05:13 Coordinated Universal Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Aston  Martin used their own DOHC, inline six in all of the DB series cars
right  up to the DBS......which I seem to recall could be had with either 
the
six  or with Aston's newly designed (at that time) V8.
For a while, back in the  late 80s & early 90s, DB 2s, 4s, 5s & 6s were 
going
for well under  $10K!  I've always lusted after a DB4 or a DB5, in Vantage 
or
GT  tune.  Too bad I couldn't afford one when they were sort of  affordable!

Bud Osbourne
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Bud Osbourne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 16:20:31 -0400

The Jag engine was NEVER proven to be a better engine than the Aston
unit...just had significantly more displacement.  Remember, when BMC went
from five to seven main bearings, on their C series engine, the end result
was a more sluggish unit.  Looking back on the Aston Martin engine's racing
history, the engine was NEVER a weak part of their car.  About the only
circuit where the D-Type Jag had a clear advantage over the Aston Martin
DB3S, or the LeMans-winning DBR1 was at LeMans.  The Astons routinely and
soundly beat the C-Type and D-Type jags at most other racing venues.

For Christmas, about 20 years ago, I was given a two volume history of the
post-war Aston Martins called "Racing With the David Brown Aston Martins".
It is a fascinating read and details the development of the DB six cylinder
engine and the cars that it powered.  Included is plenty of racing history,
including the personal side of racing, with interviews with John Wyer,
Sterling Moss, Carroll Shelby and many others.  Great photos, too!  Lots of
"insider" information about Peter Collins, Shelby, Moss and other who drove
for the Aston Martin works team.

I'm guessing that Amazon.com would probably be able to provide you with a
copy of both volumes for a lot less than what it cost 20 years ago.......

Bud Osbourne

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 3:05 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] LBCs and Beatles

While the Jag XK and A-M SB straight sixes look the similar they are
apparently quite different.  The oil filler/breather is in a similar place
at the front and top of both engines but I think only the DB one has a
filler.

Weslake-Monza 1330

Aston Martin used their own DOHC, inline six in all of the DB series cars
right up to the DBS......which I seem to recall could be had with either the
six or with Aston's newly designed (at that time) V8.
For a while, back in the late 80s & early 90s, DB 2s, 4s, 5s & 6s were going
for well under $10K!  I've always lusted after a DB4 or a DB5, in Vantage or
GT tune.  Too bad I couldn't afford one when they were sort of affordable!

Bud Osbourne
------------------------

[email-masked]