Subject: [Spridgets] Metalurgical bearing type question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 14:39:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hi list,
 
I have an oilite bush in a suspension component where I'd rather use a  
polyurethane bush.  I can't get a poly bush in the right size and it seems  
more awkward to file than metal.
 
The oilite bush appears to have a relatively short life as nothing spins or 
 turns in it and it's subject to impact loading (as you'd expect in  
suspension).
 
I was tempted to have some Phospher bronze bushes made up but it seems that 
 apart from being able to hopefully have a slightly tighter tolerance 
(maybe a  couple of thou') there's not much to be gained.
 
So, what metal should I be looking for to have bearings made from?  Am  I 
correct in thinking that Brass being an alloy of Copper and Zinc is harder  
than Bronze which is an alloy of Copper and Tin?
 
I'm guess that the loading will be such that Nylatron or some other hard  
plastic simply won't be strong enough?
 
Regards

Weslake-Monza 1330
------------------------

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation: $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

---

From: Derf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 14:18:13 -0500

If nothing spins then why oilight?
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: CosmicMag1380 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 15:18:30 -0400

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 2:39 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
The oilite bush appears to have a relatively short life as nothing
spins or  turns in it and it's subject to impact loading (as you'd
expect in suspension).
---------------------------------
Daniel,

The different alloys that you mention can be made harder or softer
depending on the percentage of materials that you combine... Do you
have a particular BHN or Rockwell hardness in mind? The consideration
here is the parts that the bushing mates. A harder bush may damage the
other parts which, in turn, may be more expensive and/or difficult to
replace!

Have you thought about heat treating with water/oil cooling or
cryogenic treatment of the parts that you have? If the stock part has
not been treated in some manner, either process should give it extra
life. Water cooling a heated metal can increase it's BHN by a fair
percentage. Oven heat treating with water quenching does a really good
job of bringing the BHN up.

I have a freind who owns a tool & die shop. He now has every piece
that he makes cryogenically treated. He says that they last much, much
longer since he started doing that.
--
Kent
1960 Bugeye
1983 Garage full of spridget parts!
2010 Arrow shed full of excess spridget parts!!!
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 08:30:00 -0500

<<  On 4/22/2012 1:39 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
                 I have an oilite bush in a suspension component where 
I'd rather use a polyurethane bush. >>

Here are 1312's items:

http://www.spritenut.com/1312/Westlake1330_trunnion01.jpg

Webmaster
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:56:44 -0400

Hmmm.......I'm confused (situation normal).  If you want to use a polyurethane
bush why not just use the original part?  Easy to get  bushings for the
original part.

Sent from my keyboard

On Apr 23, 2012, at 9:30 AM, "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>                I have an oilite bush in a suspension component where I'd
rather use a polyurethane bush. >>
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: brian S <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:39:41 -0400

That's really cool Daniel!
Sound's like you found the way to size the poly stuff without
all the high buck equipment! Bravo!

Brian S.
Bugeyeracer finally resto'ed!
Thanks to Frank C.!

> Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 08:30:00 -0500
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Metalurgical bearing type question
>
------------------------

[email-masked]