Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Metalurgical bearing type question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 17:36:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Kent,
 
What I know about material hardness can be pretty much written on the back  
of a fag (cigarette) packet (hope that translate UK to USA ok!).
 
The bush sits in a steel housing which itself isn't fantastically  
expensive.  A bolt passes through the middle of the bush to clamp to  another steel 
part.
 
Currently the wear is that the bolt isn't as tight a fit in the bearing as  
I'd like due to a combination of average tolerances so I'm guessing over 
time  the bolt hole opens up and there's more free play than there used to be 
along  with an MOT/inspection fail.
 
I don't think that either Oilite or Phospher bronze can be readily heat  
treated.
 
Regards

In a message dated 22/04/2012 20:18:31 GMT Daylight Time,  cosmi
[email-masked] writes:

The  different alloys that you mention can be made harder or softer
depending on  the percentage of materials that you combine... Do you
have a particular  BHN or Rockwell hardness in mind? The consideration
here is the parts that  the bushing mates. A harder bush may damage the
other parts which, in turn,  may be more expensive and/or difficult to
replace!

Have you thought  about heat treating with water/oil cooling or
cryogenic treatment of the  parts that you have? If the stock part has
not been treated in some manner,  either process should give it extra
life. Water cooling a heated metal can  increase it's BHN by a fair
percentage. Oven heat treating with water  quenching does a really good
job of bringing the BHN up.

I have a  freind who owns a tool & die shop. He now has every piece
that he makes  cryogenically treated. He says that they last much, much
longer since he  started doing that.
-- 
Kent
1960 Bugeye
1983 Garage full of  spridget parts!
2010 Arrow shed full of excess spridget  parts!!!
------------------------

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation: $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

---

From: "Guy Weller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 23:01:40 +0100

Sounds like you are describing Lawrence's Frontline upper suspension arm
bushes

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: 22 April 2012 22:36
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Metalurgical bearing type question

Hi Kent,

The bush sits in a steel housing which itself isn't fantastically
expensive.  A bolt passes through the middle of the bush to clamp to
another steel
part.

Currently the wear is that the bolt isn't as tight a fit in the bearing as
I'd like due to a combination of average tolerances so I'm guessing over
time  the bolt hole opens up and there's more free play than there used to
be
along  with an MOT/inspection fail.

Regards

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.927 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/4952 - Release Date: 04/22/12
07:34:00
------------------------

[email-masked]