Subject: [Spridgets] Solid State Voltage Stabilizer

From: Tim Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:04:50 -0400

My project recently has been to make a solid state voltage stabilizer 
for my Sprite. Today I installed it and it appears it works OK. My 
1966 Spite didn't have a voltage stabilizer as built. The V.S. 
supplies a regulated 10 volts to the fuel gauge. Hopefully the needle 
should not "jump" quite as much now. I do have an after market gas 
tank that doesn't have internal baffles so I'm not holding my breath 
for huge improvements. Doesn't really matter because this was a PROJECT!

For the archive: the V.S. came from Jameco part 837441, $1.25 (but 
you have to order at least 5), rated at 10 volts @ 1.5 amps. I could 
have bought a similar chip at Radio Shack, but the R.S. case was 
completely insulated. The ordered chip has a mounting tab that is 
also an electrical ground and should also help with cooling the chip. 
Plus the Shack was pricey. I included a LED that shows the V.S. is 
working. This was all built into the housing of an old style V.S.

Upcoming projects - relays for headlights, heater blower, and horn. 
And I bought an LM741 Op-amp to try and make a low fuel indicator. I 
don't really "need" to do these things, but they are PROJECTS! (and, 
projects are good!)

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/sets/ 
------------------------

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation: $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:23:50 -0400

Projects are good.  Keep them coming.

Just an FYI,  
My "self terminating solid state flasher" works pretty good.
Except...The ignition emf noise occasionally causes it to false
trigger.  This is no big deal, the turn signals do not blink
if the turn signal switch is in the center position, but the dash light
blinks.  It happens rarely (like when starting the car) so I'm leaving it as
is.  

My electric fuel pump safety cut off circuit is not working for similar 
reasons. This is the circuit that is suppose to look at the tach signal from
the ignition and shut off the fuel pump if the engine stops turning over.
Here again the ignition noise is causing trouble despite the fact that I
have a good emi filter on the circuits supply side.  I'll probably have 
to put a regulator on it.  Right now it chatters the fuel pump relay when I
activate it. 

Both the above circuits work perfectly on the bench. But the electrical
environment in the car is a totally different animal.  Something to keep in
mind.

I'd like to make a intermittent wiper circuit next.  I have a decent pull
switch / potentiometer that the stock bugeye wiper button will fit nicely.

FWIW, My gas gauge works as follows...
If the needle is pegged...I have gas.
If the needle starts to dance, I have less than a gallon left :)
I'm not sure they ever worked any better than this when they were new.
This is with a new Moss sender BTW.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tim Collins
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Spridgets] Solid State Voltage Stabilizer

Tim Collins

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]