Subject: Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 217, Issue 8

From: Paul Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2025 08:22:45 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2981194131616491959==
 boundary="------------SayChCwbDS0tJcYNoSd2FykS"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------SayChCwbDS0tJcYNoSd2FykS
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

That's how they _should_ work in all but the first MGBs and I suspect 
MGAs.  They come on when you operate the switch then after a short delay 
start flashing off-on-off-on.  This gives the earliest warning to other 
road users.  They also have a 'bulb failure' mode where if one has 
failed the remaining corner and the tell-tale come on and stay on so you 
can take appropriate action. If you fit a 4-way/hazard flasher unit it's 
then they only start flashing after a delay from operating the switch, 
and they will flash anything from one to four bulbs at the same rate.

Triumph flashers are different again as far as the tell-tale goes.  With 
a single tell-tale they should be off normally of course, but if you fit 
an early MGB flasher it comes on with the ignition and only starts 
flashing off when the indicator switch is operated.  The MGB with two 
tell-tales has additional contacts in the indicator switch to prevent that.

FWIW.

PaulH.

On 30/09/2025 20:14, Eric Russell wrote:
> > I guess its ok that I'm now running a Triumph flasher unit in my 
> MGA????
>
> Except now the turn signals will blink off-on-off instead of 
> on-off-on-off.
>
--------------SayChCwbDS0tJcYNoSd2FykS
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>That's how they _should_ work in all but the first MGBs and I
      suspect MGAs.  They come on when you operate the switch then after
      a short delay start flashing off-on-off-on.  This gives the
      earliest warning to other road users.  They also have a 'bulb
      failure' mode where if one has failed the remaining corner and the
      tell-tale come on and stay on so you can take appropriate action. 
      If you fit a 4-way/hazard flasher unit it's then they only start
      flashing after a delay from operating the switch, and they will
      flash anything from one to four bulbs at the same rate.</p>
    <p>Triumph flashers are different again as far as the tell-tale
      goes.  With a single tell-tale they should be off normally of
      course, but if you fit an early MGB flasher it comes on with the
      ignition and only starts flashing off when the indicator switch is
      operated.  The MGB with two tell-tales has additional contacts in
      the indicator switch to prevent that.<br>
    </p>
    <p>FWIW.</p>
    <p>PaulH.</p>
    <p></p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 30/09/2025 20:14, Eric Russell
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div class="gmail_default" style=""><font size="4">&gt; I guess
            its ok that I'm now running a Triumph flasher unit in my
            MGA???? </font></div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style=""><font size="4"><br>
          </font></div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style=""><font size="4">Except now
            the turn signals will blink off-on-off instead of
            on-off-on-off. </font></div>
      </div>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------SayChCwbDS0tJcYNoSd2FykS--

--===============2981194131616491959==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============2981194131616491959==--