Subject: Re: [Mgs] 58 MGA with early 5 main MGB engine

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2025 16:31:31 -0700

--===============8623018904855327128==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_AE94705C-BF14-4EAB-9172-2E0D71912E0D"

--Apple-Mail=_AE94705C-BF14-4EAB-9172-2E0D71912E0D
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

Um, you=E2=80=99re the one in a position to tell us if it works or not. =
What are you asking?

Does the needle move when you fire the engine? What does it read at =
idle? Are you asking if it=E2=80=99s accurate?

--
Max Heim
[email-masked]

> On Aug 11, 2025, at 2:38=E2=80=AFPM, dave northrup <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
> Is there a way to tell if the electric tach is working on this engine =
(early 5 main MGB engine)
> =20
> _______________________________________________
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs =
http://autox.team.net/archive
>=20
> Unsubscribe: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail=_AE94705C-BF14-4EAB-9172-2E0D71912E0D
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;">Um, you=E2=80=99=
re the one in a position to tell us if it works or not. What are you =
asking?<div><br></div><div>Does the needle move when you fire the =
engine? What does it read at idle? Are you asking if it=E2=80=99s =
accurate?</div><div><br></div><div><br =
id=3D"lineBreakAtBeginningOfMessage"><div>
--<br>Max Heim<br>[email-masked]<br><br><br>

</div>
<div><br><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>On Aug 11, 2025, at 2:38=E2=80=AFP=
M, dave northrup &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div><meta charset=3D"UTF-8"><div =
class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: WordSection1; caret-color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; =
font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span style=3D"">Is there a way to =
tell if the electric tach is working on this engine (early 5 main MGB =
engine)<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span =
style=3D""><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div></div><span style=3D"caret-color:=
 rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: =
normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; =
white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline =
!important;">_______________________________________________</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">[email-masked]</a><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline =
!important;">Donate:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline =
!important;">Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;">Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs" style=3D"font-family: =
Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a><span style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;"><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" style=3D"font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline =
!important;">Unsubscribe:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]" =
style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a></div>=
</blockquote></div><br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_AE94705C-BF14-4EAB-9172-2E0D71912E0D--

--===============8623018904855327128==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============8623018904855327128==--

---

From: Larry Colen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2025 16:49:08 -0700

The electric tach depends on
a) the tach
b) the wiring
c) the distributor

It doesn't care if the motor is 5 main, 3 main or series A.

On 2025-08-11 14:38, dave northrup wrote:
> Is there a way to tell if the electric tach is working on this engine
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

-- 
Larry Colen  [email-masked] http://red4est.com/lrc
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: dave northrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2025 00:15:13 +0000

--===============5812666421977371656==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_e2de5489ce33406cad4a96319cb369fcranteercom_"

--_000_e2de5489ce33406cad4a96319cb369fcranteercom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_e2de5489ce33406cad4a96319cb369fcranteercom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_e2de5489ce33406cad4a96319cb369fcranteercom_--

--===============5812666421977371656==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5812666421977371656==--

---

From: Larry Colen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2025 18:19:15 -0700

You can check it against an external tach/dwell meter.

Some timing lights also have an integral tach.

Or, if you're really good at counting, count how  many times the timing 
mark goes past in 15 seconds and multiply by 4. :-)

On 2025-08-11 17:15, dave northrup wrote:
> Sorry.  The needle moves and it is working.
> 
> My apologies- is there a way to verify its accuracy?
> 
> -------- Original message --------
> From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
> Date: 8/11/25 6:31 PM (GMT-06:00)
> To: dave northrup <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Mgs] 58 MGA with early 5 main MGB engine
> 
> Um, you’re the one in a position to tell us if it works or not. What
> are you asking?
> 
> Does the needle move when you fire the engine? What does it read at
> idle? Are you asking if it’s accurate?
> 
> --
> Max Heim
> [email-masked]
> 
>> On Aug 11, 2025, at 2:38 PM, dave northrup <[email-masked]>
>> wrote:
>> 
>> Is there a way to tell if the electric tach is working on this
>> engine (early 5 main MGB engine)
>> Unsubscribe:

[email-masked]