Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB electric tach

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 13:23:21 -0700

--===============7612743719773654129==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_6B8196F9-5465-4345-A68E-F7825F1E59C1"

--Apple-Mail=_6B8196F9-5465-4345-A68E-F7825F1E59C1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

What year of MGB is this tach out of? It=E2=80=99s way too small for a =
Mk. I =E2=80=94 is it out of a pillow dash car? It also lacks the =
inductive loop that would be present on an early car. So this tach is =
certainly going to be negative earth.

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB

> On Oct 23, 2024, at 12:25=E2=80=AFPM, dave northrup <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
> Working on an MGA with a swapped in early 5 main MGB engine.
> =20
> Trying to figure out how to set up an electric tach.  With the car =
came an MGA tach with the internals swapped for an MGB tach but it =
doesn=E2=80=99t work.  I purchased an MGB tach, and am trying to test it =
before I attempt to swap the internals for the non working one.
> =20
> Here is a picture of the tach; there are 2 white leads, which =
according to the wiring diagram, one goes to the coil and one to the =
ignition.  Which is which?  Or should I just try them?  I know that it =
goes power to tach to coil.  We had the car running with the old tach =
but no movement of the needle before we found out that the gage was bad.
> =20
> Also, I am assuming the extra spade in the tach goes to power?  At =
least the ground spade is obvious as its part of the case.
> =20
> And, while I=E2=80=99m at it, the MGB wiring diagram shows one lead to =
the gage voltage stabilizer.  I=E2=80=99m thinking that can go directly =
to the fuse box to power?
> _______________________________________________
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs =
http://autox.team.net/archive
>=20
> Unsubscribe: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail=_6B8196F9-5465-4345-A68E-F7825F1E59C1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;">What year of =
MGB is this tach out of? It=E2=80=99s way too small for a Mk. I =E2=80=94 =
is it out of a pillow dash car? It also lacks the inductive loop that =
would be present on an early car. So this tach is certainly going to be =
negative earth.<div><br id=3D"lineBreakAtBeginningOfMessage"><div>
--<br>Max Heim<br>'66 MGB

</div>

<div><br><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>On Oct 23, 2024, at 12:25=E2=80=AF=
PM, dave northrup &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div><meta charset=3D"UTF-8"><div =
class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: WordSection1; caret-color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; =
font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span style=3D"">Working on an MGA =
with a swapped in early 5 main MGB engine.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><span style=3D""><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><span style=3D"">Trying to figure out how to set up an =
electric tach.&nbsp; With the car came an MGA tach with the internals =
swapped for an MGB tach but it doesn=E2=80=99t work.&nbsp; I purchased =
an MGB tach, and am trying to test it before I attempt to swap the =
internals for the non working one.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><span style=3D""><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><span style=3D"">Here is a picture of the tach; there are 2 =
white leads, which according to the wiring diagram, one goes to the coil =
and one to the ignition.&nbsp; Which is which?&nbsp; Or should I just =
try them?&nbsp; I know that it goes power to tach to coil.&nbsp; We had =
the car running with the old tach but no movement of the needle before =
we found out that the gage was bad.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><span style=3D""><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><span style=3D"">Also, I am assuming the extra spade in the =
tach goes to power?&nbsp; At least the ground spade is obvious as its =
part of the case.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span =
style=3D""><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span style=3D"">And, =
while I=E2=80=99m at it, the MGB wiring diagram shows one lead to the =
gage voltage stabilizer.&nbsp; I=E2=80=99m thinking that can go directly =
to the fuse box to power?<o:p></o:p></span></div></div><span =
id=3D"cid:610EB38F-BE24-4926-844A-6AD792369EB8">&lt;20241022_175133.jpg&gt=
;</span><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: =
none; float: none; display: inline =
!important;">_______________________________________________</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">[email-masked]</a><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline =
!important;">Donate:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline =
!important;">Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;">Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs" style=3D"font-family: =
Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a><span style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;"><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" style=3D"font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline =
!important;">Unsubscribe:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]" =
style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a></div>=
</blockquote></div><br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_6B8196F9-5465-4345-A68E-F7825F1E59C1--

--===============7612743719773654129==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============7612743719773654129==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 13:40:51 -0700

--===============3326502074193836285==
 boundary=----DGXNBOQ7BIYMIJF3V382O9VI0ZYH66
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

------DGXNBOQ7BIYMIJF3V382O9VI0ZYH66
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Some mg tachs require current to flow through them to the points, more mode=
rn tachs just read the voltage at the points=2E

On October 23, 2024 12:25:55 PM PDT, dave northrup <dave@ranteer=2Ecom> wr=
ote:
>Working on an MGA with a swapped in early 5 main MGB engine=2E
>
>Trying to figure out how to set up an electric tach=2E  With the car came=
 an MGA tach with the internals swapped for an MGB tach but it doesn't work=
=2E  I purchased an MGB tach, and am trying to test it before I attempt to =
swap the internals for the non working one=2E
>
>Here is a picture of the tach; there are 2 white leads, which according t=
o the wiring diagram, one goes to the coil and one to the ignition=2E  Whic=
h is which?  Or should I just try them?  I know that it goes power to tach =
to coil=2E  We had the car running with the old tach but no movement of the=
 needle before we found out that the gage was bad=2E
>
>Also, I am assuming the extra spade in the tach goes to power?  At least =
the ground spade is obvious as its part of the case=2E
>
>And, while I'm at it, the MGB wiring diagram shows one lead to the gage v=
oltage stabilizer=2E  I'm thinking that can go directly to the fuse box to =
power?

--=20
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=2E Please excuse my brevity=2E
------DGXNBOQ7BIYMIJF3V382O9VI0ZYH66
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-micr=
osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas=2Emicrosoft=2Ecom/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"h=
ttp://www=2Ew3=2Eorg/TR/REC-html40">
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii=
">
<meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
<style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p=2EMsoNormal, li=2EMsoNormal, div=2EMsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11=2E0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-ligatures:standardcontextual;}
span=2EEmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:black;}
=2EMsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8=2E5in 11=2E0in;
	margin:1=2E0in 1=2E0in 1=2E0in 1=2E0in;}
div=2EWordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>
<body lang=3D"EN-US" link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D"word-wrap=
:break-word"><div dir=3D"auto">Some mg tachs require current to flow throug=
h them to the points, more modern tachs just read the voltage at the points=
=2E</div><br><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"auto">On October 23=
, 2024 12:25:55 PM PDT, dave northrup &lt;dave@ranteer=2Ecom&gt; wrote:</di=
v><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=2E8ex; b=
order-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">

<div class=3D"WordSection1">
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"color:black">Working on an MGA with =
a swapped in early 5 main MGB engine=2E<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"color:black"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span=
></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"color:black">Trying to figure out ho=
w to set up an electric tach=2E&nbsp; With the car came an MGA tach with th=
e internals swapped for an MGB tach but it doesn=E2=80=99t work=2E&nbsp; I =
purchased an MGB tach, and am trying to test it before I attempt
 to swap the internals for the non working one=2E<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"color:black"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span=
></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"color:black">Here is a picture of th=
e tach; there are 2 white leads, which according to the wiring diagram, one=
 goes to the coil and one to the ignition=2E&nbsp; Which is which?&nbsp; Or=
 should I just try them?&nbsp; I know that it goes power
 to tach to coil=2E&nbsp; We had the car running with the old tach but no =
movement of the needle before we found out that the gage was bad=2E<o:p></o=
:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"color:black"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span=
></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"color:black">Also, I am assuming the=
 extra spade in the tach goes to power?&nbsp; At least the ground spade is =
obvious as its part of the case=2E<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"color:black"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span=
></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"color:black">And, while I=E2=80=99m =
at it, the MGB wiring diagram shows one lead to the gage voltage stabilizer=
=2E&nbsp; I=E2=80=99m thinking that can go directly to the fuse box to powe=
r?<o:p></o:p></span></p>
</div>
</blockquote></div><div dir=3D"auto"><div class=3D'k9mail-signature'>-- <b=
r>Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=2E Please excuse my brevity=2E<=
/div></div></body>
</html>

------DGXNBOQ7BIYMIJF3V382O9VI0ZYH66--

--===============3326502074193836285==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3326502074193836285==--

---

From: dave northrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 22:24:52 +0000

--===============2757679864975740695==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_09138a858da449df9b8b1317715fe8d0ranteercom_"

--_000_09138a858da449df9b8b1317715fe8d0ranteercom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_09138a858da449df9b8b1317715fe8d0ranteercom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_09138a858da449df9b8b1317715fe8d0ranteercom_--

--===============2757679864975740695==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2757679864975740695==--

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 16:13:40 -0700

--===============6329943947053929518==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_3B00EE62-E24E-4190-994D-6D8F657A2DDE"

--Apple-Mail=_3B00EE62-E24E-4190-994D-6D8F657A2DDE
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

As far as I can tell, you have a 3.5=E2=80=9D diameter tach from a =
1968-up MGB. So you should probably look at the wiring diagram for one =
of these years. I don't have any personal experience because I deal =
strictly with pre-68 Bs.

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB

> On Oct 23, 2024, at 3:25=E2=80=AFPM, dave northrup <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
> Thank you for taking the time to answer
>=20
>=20
> -------- Original message --------
> From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
> Date: 10/23/24 3:23 PM (GMT-06:00)
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: dave northrup <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB electric tach
>=20
>=20
> --
> Max Heim
> '66 MGB
>=20
>> On Oct 23, 2024, at 12:25=E2=80=AFPM, dave northrup =
>> =20
>> And, while I=E2=80=99m at it, the MGB wiring diagram shows one lead =
to the gage voltage stabilizer.  I=E2=80=99m thinking that can go =
directly to the fuse box to power?

--Apple-Mail=_3B00EE62-E24E-4190-994D-6D8F657A2DDE
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;">As far as I =
can tell, you have a 3.5=E2=80=9D diameter tach from a 1968-up MGB. So =
you should probably look at the wiring diagram for one of these years. I =
don't have any personal experience because I deal strictly with pre-68 =
Bs.<div><br id=3D"lineBreakAtBeginningOfMessage"><div>
--<br>Max Heim<br>'66 MGB

</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

<div><br><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>On Oct 23, 2024, at 3:25=E2=80=AFP=
M, dave northrup &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div>

<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8">
<meta content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8">

<div style=3D"line-break:after-white-space">
Thank you for taking the time to answer
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>-------- Original message --------</div>
<div>From: Max Heim &lt;[email-masked]&gt; </div>
<div>Date: 10/23/24 3:23 PM (GMT-06:00) </div>
<div>To: [email-masked] </div>
<div>Cc: dave northrup &lt;[email-masked]&gt; </div>
<div>Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB electric tach </div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>What year of MGB is this tach out of? It=E2=80=99s way too small =
for a Mk. I =E2=80=94 is it out of a pillow dash car? It also lacks the =
inductive loop that would be present on an early car. So this tach is =
certainly going to be negative earth.
<div><br id=3D"lineBreakAtBeginningOfMessage">
<div>--<br>
Max Heim<br>
'66 MGB </div>
<div><br>
<blockquote type=3D"cite">
<div>On Oct 23, 2024, at 12:25=E2=80=AFPM, dave northrup =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:</div>
<br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline">
<div>
<div class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"font-family:Verdana; =
font-size:13px; font-style:normal; font-weight:400; =
letter-spacing:normal; text-align:start; text-indent:0px; =
text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px; =
text-decoration:none">
<div style=3D"margin:0in; font-size:11pt; =
font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><span style=3D"">Working on an MGA with =
a swapped in early 5 main MGB engine.</span></div>
<div style=3D"margin:0in; font-size:11pt; =
font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><span style=3D"">&nbsp;</span></div>
<div style=3D"margin:0in; font-size:11pt; =
font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><span style=3D"">Trying to figure out =
how to set up an electric tach.&nbsp; With the car came an MGA tach with =
the internals swapped for an MGB tach but it doesn=E2=80=99t work.&nbsp; =
I purchased an MGB tach,
 and am trying to test it before I attempt to swap the internals for the =
non working one.</span></div>
<div style=3D"margin:0in; font-size:11pt; =
font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><span style=3D"">&nbsp;</span></div>
<div style=3D"margin:0in; font-size:11pt; =
font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><span style=3D"">Here is a picture of =
the tach; there are 2 white leads, which according to the wiring =
diagram, one goes to the coil and one to the ignition.&nbsp; Which is =
which?&nbsp; Or should I
 just try them?&nbsp; I know that it goes power to tach to coil.&nbsp; =
We had the car running with the old tach but no movement of the needle =
before we found out that the gage was bad.</span></div>
<div style=3D"margin:0in; font-size:11pt; =
font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><span style=3D"">&nbsp;</span></div>
<div style=3D"margin:0in; font-size:11pt; =
font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><span style=3D"">Also, I am assuming the =
extra spade in the tach goes to power?&nbsp; At least the ground spade =
is obvious as its part of the case.</span></div>
<div style=3D"margin:0in; font-size:11pt; =
font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><span style=3D"">&nbsp;</span></div>
<div style=3D"margin:0in; font-size:11pt; =
font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><span style=3D"">And, while I=E2=80=99m =
at it, the MGB wiring diagram shows one lead to the gage voltage =
stabilizer.&nbsp; I=E2=80=99m thinking that can go directly to the fuse =
box to power?</span></div>
</div>
<span =
id=3D"cid:610EB38F-BE24-4926-844A-6AD792369EB8">&lt;20241022_175133.jpg&gt=
;</span><span style=3D"font-family:Verdana; font-size:13px; =
font-style:normal; font-weight:400; letter-spacing:normal; =
text-align:start; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; =
white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px; text-decoration:none; float:none; =
display:inline!important">_______________________________________________<=
/span><br style=3D"font-family:Verdana; font-size:13px; =
font-style:normal; font-weight:400; letter-spacing:normal; =
text-align:start; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; =
white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px; text-decoration:none">
<br style=3D"font-family:Verdana; font-size:13px; font-style:normal; =
font-weight:400; letter-spacing:normal; text-align:start; =
text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; =
word-spacing:0px; text-decoration:none">
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"font-family:Verdana; =
font-size:13px; font-style:normal; font-weight:400; =
letter-spacing:normal; orphans:auto; text-align:start; text-indent:0px; =
text-transform:none; white-space:normal; widows:auto; =
word-spacing:0px">[email-masked]</a><br style=3D"font-family:Verdana; =
font-size:13px; font-style:normal; font-weight:400; =
letter-spacing:normal; text-align:start; text-indent:0px; =
text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px; =
text-decoration:none">
<span style=3D"font-family:Verdana; font-size:13px; font-style:normal; =
font-weight:400; letter-spacing:normal; text-align:start; =
text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; =
word-spacing:0px; text-decoration:none; float:none; =
display:inline!important">Donate:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"font-family:Verdana; =
font-size:13px; font-style:normal; font-weight:400; =
letter-spacing:normal; orphans:auto; text-align:start; text-indent:0px; =
text-transform:none; white-space:normal; widows:auto; =
word-spacing:0px">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br =
style=3D"font-family:Verdana; font-size:13px; font-style:normal; =
font-weight:400; letter-spacing:normal; text-align:start; =
text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; =
word-spacing:0px; text-decoration:none">
<span style=3D"font-family:Verdana; font-size:13px; font-style:normal; =
font-weight:400; letter-spacing:normal; text-align:start; =
text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; =
word-spacing:0px; text-decoration:none; float:none; =
display:inline!important">Suggested
 annual donation &nbsp;$12.75</span><br style=3D"font-family:Verdana; =
font-size:13px; font-style:normal; font-weight:400; =
letter-spacing:normal; text-align:start; text-indent:0px; =
text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px; =
text-decoration:none">
<br style=3D"font-family:Verdana; font-size:13px; font-style:normal; =
font-weight:400; letter-spacing:normal; text-align:start; =
text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; =
word-spacing:0px; text-decoration:none">
<span style=3D"font-family:Verdana; font-size:13px; font-style:normal; =
font-weight:400; letter-spacing:normal; text-align:start; =
text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; =
word-spacing:0px; text-decoration:none; float:none; =
display:inline!important">Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs" style=3D"font-family:Verdana; =
font-size:13px; font-style:normal; font-weight:400; =
letter-spacing:normal; orphans:auto; text-align:start; text-indent:0px; =
text-transform:none; white-space:normal; widows:auto; =
word-spacing:0px">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a><span =
style=3D"font-family:Verdana; font-size:13px; font-style:normal; =
font-weight:400; letter-spacing:normal; text-align:start; =
text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; =
word-spacing:0px; text-decoration:none; float:none; =
display:inline!important"><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" style=3D"font-family:Verdana; =
font-size:13px; font-style:normal; font-weight:400; =
letter-spacing:normal; orphans:auto; text-align:start; text-indent:0px; =
text-transform:none; white-space:normal; widows:auto; =
word-spacing:0px">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br =
style=3D"font-family:Verdana; font-size:13px; font-style:normal; =
font-weight:400; letter-spacing:normal; text-align:start; =
text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; =
word-spacing:0px; text-decoration:none">
<br style=3D"font-family:Verdana; font-size:13px; font-style:normal; =
font-weight:400; letter-spacing:normal; text-align:start; =
text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; =
word-spacing:0px; text-decoration:none">
<span style=3D"font-family:Verdana; font-size:13px; font-style:normal; =
font-weight:400; letter-spacing:normal; text-align:start; =
text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; =
word-spacing:0px; text-decoration:none; float:none; =
display:inline!important">Unsubscribe:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]" =
style=3D"font-family:Verdana; font-size:13px; font-style:normal; =
font-weight:400; letter-spacing:normal; orphans:auto; text-align:start; =
text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; widows:auto; =
word-spacing:0px">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]=
et</a></div>
</blockquote>
</div>
<br>
</div>
</div>
</div>

</div></blockquote></div><br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_3B00EE62-E24E-4190-994D-6D8F657A2DDE--

--===============6329943947053929518==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6329943947053929518==--

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 17:39:00 -0700

--===============2814733946511155392==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_E61B186F-5CA6-4BFA-9244-15D2DF2B576D"

--Apple-Mail=_E61B186F-5CA6-4BFA-9244-15D2DF2B576D
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

As you figured out, one white goes to =E2=80=9CL=E2=80=9D on the =
ignition switch, and the other to the coil +. Based on the overall =
alignment, I am going to say the left one goes to the switch and the =
right one to the coil.

The blade sticking out in the middle will be the ground to the case, =
which will be black.

That leaves the other blade as green to the voltage stabilizer.

FWIW...

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB

> On Oct 23, 2024, at 4:19=E2=80=AFPM, dave northrup <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
> The wiring diagram shows 4 connections to the back of the tach.  I =
have found nothing which shows which goes to which.  I guess I can =
assume that the diagram is looking at the back of the tach but that=E2=80=99=
s as much detail as it shows.
> =20
> From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>=20
> Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2024 6:14 PM
> To: dave northrup <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
> =20
> --
> Max Heim
> '66 MGB=20
> =20
> =20
>=20
>=20
> On Oct 23, 2024, at 3:25=E2=80=AFPM, dave northrup <[email-masked] =
> =20
> Thank you for taking the time to answer=20
> =20
> =20
> Date: 10/23/24 3:23 PM (GMT-06:00)=20
> Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB electric tach=20
> =20
> =20
> --
> Max Heim
> '66 MGB=20
>=20
>=20
> On Oct 23, 2024, at 12:25=E2=80=AFPM, dave northrup <[email-masked] =
> =20

--Apple-Mail=_E61B186F-5CA6-4BFA-9244-15D2DF2B576D
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: =
after-white-space;"><div><br></div>As you figured out, one white goes to =
=E2=80=9CL=E2=80=9D on the ignition switch, and the other to the coil +. =
Based on the overall alignment, I am going to say the left one goes to =
the switch and the right one to the coil.<div><br></div><div>The blade =
sticking out in the middle will be the ground to the case, which will be =
black.</div><div><br></div><div>That leaves the other blade as green to =
the voltage stabilizer.</div><div><br></div><div>FWIW...<br><div><br =
id=3D"lineBreakAtBeginningOfMessage"><div>
--<br>Max Heim<br>'66 MGB

</div>

<div><br><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>On Oct 23, 2024, at 4:19=E2=80=AFP=
M, dave northrup &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div><meta charset=3D"UTF-8"><div =
class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: WordSection1; caret-color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; =
font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">The wiring diagram shows 4 =
connections to the back of the tach.&nbsp; I have found nothing which =
shows which goes to which.&nbsp; I guess I can assume that the diagram =
is looking at the back of the tach but that=E2=80=99s as much detail as =
it shows.<o:p></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; =
font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div><div><div =
style=3D"border-width: 1pt medium medium; border-style: solid none none; =
border-color: rgb(225, 225, 225) currentcolor currentcolor; =
border-image: none; padding: 3pt 0in 0in;"><div style=3D"margin: 0in; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><b>From:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>Max Heim =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><br><b>Sent:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>Wednesday, October 23, 2024 =
6:14 PM<br><b>To:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>dave northrup =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Cc:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>&lt;[email-masked]&gt; =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Subject:</b><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>Re: [Mgs] MGB electric =
tach<o:p></o:p></div></div></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;">As far as I can tell, you have a 3.5=E2=80=9D diameter tach =
from a 1968-up MGB. So you should probably look at the wiring diagram =
for one of these years. I don't have any personal experience because I =
deal strictly with pre-68 Bs.<o:p></o:p></div><div><div style=3D"margin: =
0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div><div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">--<br>Max =
Heim<br>'66 MGB<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></div></div><div><=
div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin: =
0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin: =
0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><br><br><o:p></o:p></div><blockquote style=3D"margin-top: =
5pt; margin-bottom: 5pt;"><div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">On Oct 23, 2024, at 3:25=E2=80=AF=
PM, dave northrup &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: =
blue; text-decoration: underline;">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></div></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; =
font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div><div><div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;">Thank you for taking the time to answer<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></div><div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin: =
0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin: =
0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">-------- =
Original message --------<o:p></o:p></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin:=
 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">From: Max Heim =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: =
underline;">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<o:p></o:p></div></div><div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;">Date: 10/23/24 3:23 PM (GMT-06:00)<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></div></div><div><=
div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;">To:<span class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: =
underline;">[email-masked]</a><o:p></o:p></div></div><div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;">Cc: dave northrup &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: =
underline;">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<o:p></o:p></div></div><div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;">Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB electric tach<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></div></div><div><=
div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin: =
0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">What year of =
MGB is this tach out of? It=E2=80=99s way too small for a Mk. I =E2=80=94 =
is it out of a pillow dash car? It also lacks the inductive loop that =
would be present on an early car. So this tach is certainly going to be =
negative earth.<o:p></o:p></div><div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div><div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">--<br>Max =
Heim<br>'66 MGB<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></div></div><div><=
div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><br><br><o:p></o:p></div><blockquote style=3D"margin-top: =
5pt; margin-bottom: 5pt;"><div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">On Oct 23, 2024, at 12:25=E2=80=AF=
PM, dave northrup &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: =
blue; text-decoration: underline;">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></div></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; =
font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div><div><div><div><div style=3D"margin: =
0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">Working on an =
MGA with a swapped in early 5 main MGB =
engine.<o:p></o:p></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin: =
0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">Trying to =
figure out how to set up an electric tach.&nbsp; With the car came an =
MGA tach with the internals swapped for an MGB tach but it doesn=E2=80=99t=
 work.&nbsp; I purchased an MGB tach, and am trying to test it before I =
attempt to swap the internals for the non working =
one.<o:p></o:p></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin: =
0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">Here is a =
picture of the tach; there are 2 white leads, which according to the =
wiring diagram, one goes to the coil and one to the ignition.&nbsp; =
Which is which?&nbsp; Or should I just try them?&nbsp; I know that it =
goes power to tach to coil.&nbsp; We had the car running with the old =
tach but no movement of the needle before we found out that the gage was =
bad.<o:p></o:p></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin: =
0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">Also, I am =
assuming the extra spade in the tach goes to power?&nbsp; At least the =
ground spade is obvious as its part of the =
case.<o:p></o:p></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></div></div><div><div style=3D"margin: =
0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">And, while =
I=E2=80=99m at it, the MGB wiring diagram shows one lead to the gage =
voltage stabilizer.&nbsp; I=E2=80=99m thinking that can go directly to =
the fuse box to power?<o:p></o:p></div></div></div><div style=3D"margin: =
0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;">&lt;20241022_175133.jpg&gt;<span style=3D"font-size: 10pt; =
font-family: Verdana, =
sans-serif;">_______________________________________________<br><br></span=
><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;"><span style=3D"font-size: 10pt; =
font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">[email-masked]</span></a><span =
style=3D"font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana, =
sans-serif;"><br>Donate:<span =
class=3D"apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;"><span style=3D"font-size: 10pt; =
font-family: Verdana, =
sans-serif;">http://www.team.net/donate.html</span></a><span =
style=3D"font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana, =
sans-serif;"><br>Suggested annual donation =
&nbsp;$12.75<br><br>Archive:<span =
class=3D"apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;"><span style=3D"font-size: 10pt; =
font-family: Verdana, =
sans-serif;">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</span></a><span =
class=3D"apple-converted-space"><span style=3D"font-size: 10pt; =
font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline;"><span style=3D"font-size: 10pt; =
font-family: Verdana, =
sans-serif;">http://autox.team.net/archive</span></a><span =
style=3D"font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana, =
sans-serif;"><br><br>Unsubscribe:<span =
class=3D"apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline;"><span =
style=3D"font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana, =
sans-serif;">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</s=
pan></a></div></div></blockquote></div></div></div></div></div></blockquot=
e></div></div></div></div></blockquote></div><br></div></div></body></html=
>=

--Apple-Mail=_E61B186F-5CA6-4BFA-9244-15D2DF2B576D--

--===============2814733946511155392==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2814733946511155392==--

---

From: Paul Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2024 09:09:16 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============1093364964654525899==
 boundary="------------AASHjEVn0WVgc0xo1n0vPOAs"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------AASHjEVn0WVgc0xo1n0vPOAs
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

That is a late internal inductive pickup so probably negative earth.  It 
has male and female bullets for two white wires, the wrong way round the 
tach won't work and the right way it should but original the gender of 
the wires was correct for the internals.  The spade is for 12v.  They 
were used on the MGB until the 1973 model year so could be either 
positive or negative earth, usually printed on the dial,  but positive 
could have been converted to negative by a PO.

 From 73 voltage triggered tachs were used with a single white/black 
wire from the coil -ve to a single bullet on the back of the case with 
the spade for the 12v supply, earth again either a spade on the case or 
a black wire under one of the fixings.  All negative earth of course.

The tach 12v feed comes from the voltage stabiliser as that is just a 
convenient point for picking up the 12v supply rather than going all the 
way back to the fusebox.  It is a green wire i.e. fused ignition that 
feeds the stabiliser as well as the tach, power is not passing through 
the stabiliser to the tach.

PaulH.

On 23/10/2024 20:25, dave northrup wrote:
> Trying to figure out how to set up an electric tach.  With the car 
> came an MGA tach with the internals swapped for an MGB tach but it 
> doesn’t work.  I purchased an MGB tach, and am trying to test it 
> Here is a picture of the tach; there are 2 white leads, which 
> according to the wiring diagram, one goes to the coil and one to the 
> ignition.  Which is which?  Or should I just try them?  I know that it 
> goes power to tach to coil.  We had the car running with the old tach 
> Also, I am assuming the extra spade in the tach goes to power?  At 
> And, while I’m at it, the MGB wiring diagram shows one lead to the 
> gage voltage stabilizer.  I’m thinking that can go directly to the 
> fuse box to power?
>
>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs  http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
--------------AASHjEVn0WVgc0xo1n0vPOAs
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>That is a late internal inductive pickup so probably negative
      earth.  It has male and female bullets for two white wires, the
      wrong way round the tach won't work and the right way it should
      but original the gender of the wires was correct for the
      internals.  The spade is for 12v.  They were used on the MGB until
      the 1973 model year so could be either positive or negative earth,
      usually printed on the dial,  but positive could have been
      converted to negative by a PO.</p>
    <p>From 73 voltage triggered tachs were used with a single
      white/black wire from the coil -ve to a single bullet on the back
      of the case with the spade for the 12v supply, earth again either
      a spade on the case or a black wire under one of the fixings.  All
      negative earth of course.</p>
    <p>The tach 12v feed comes from the voltage stabiliser as that is
      just a convenient point for picking up the 12v supply rather than
      going all the way back to the fusebox.  It is a green wire i.e.
      fused ignition that feeds the stabiliser as well as the tach,
      power is not passing through the stabiliser to the tach.</p>
    <p>PaulH.<br>
    </p>
    <p></p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 23/10/2024 20:25, dave northrup
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta name="Generator"
        content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-ligatures:standardcontextual;}span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:black;}.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black">Working on an MGA
            with a swapped in early 5 main MGB engine.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black">Trying to figure
            out how to set up an electric tach.  With the car came an
            MGA tach with the internals swapped for an MGB tach but it
            doesn’t work.  I purchased an MGB tach, and am trying to
            test it before I attempt to swap the internals for the non
            working one.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black">Here is a picture
            of the tach; there are 2 white leads, which according to the
            wiring diagram, one goes to the coil and one to the
            ignition.  Which is which?  Or should I just try them?  I
            know that it goes power to tach to coil.  We had the car
            running with the old tach but no movement of the needle
            before we found out that the gage was bad.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black">Also, I am
            assuming the extra spade in the tach goes to power?  At
            least the ground spade is obvious as its part of the case.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black">And, while I’m at
            it, the MGB wiring diagram shows one lead to the gage
            voltage stabilizer.  I’m thinking that can go directly to
            the fuse box to power?<o:p></o:p></span></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------AASHjEVn0WVgc0xo1n0vPOAs--

--===============1093364964654525899==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1093364964654525899==--

---

From: larry Colen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 19:18:17 -0700

As I remember, it doesn't matter a lot which way the current flows 
between the ignition switch and the coil through the tach.  It may, or 
it may depend on the ground, note that the bullet connectors are 
polarized, but you could rig up a test easily enough with alligator 
clips and if it doesn't work just reverse them.

---
Larry Colen, [email-masked] hosted at sonic

On 2024-10-23 17:39, Max Heim wrote:
> As you figured out, one white goes to “L” on the ignition switch,
> and the other to the coil +. Based on the overall alignment, I am
> going to say the left one goes to the switch and the right one to the
> coil.
> 
> The blade sticking out in the middle will be the ground to the case,
> which will be black.
> 
>> On Oct 23, 2024, at 4:19 PM, dave northrup <[email-masked]>
>> wrote:
>> 
>> The wiring diagram shows 4 connections to the back of the tach.  I
>> have found nothing which shows which goes to which.  I guess I can
>> assume that the diagram is looking at the back of the tach but
>> that’s as much detail as it shows.
>> 
>> As far as I can tell, you have a 3.5” diameter tach from a 1968-up
>> MGB. So you should probably look at the wiring diagram for one of
>> these years. I don't have any personal experience because I deal
>> strictly with pre-68 Bs.
>> 
>> --
>> Max Heim
>> '66 MGB
>> 
>> On Oct 23, 2024, at 3:25 PM, dave northrup <[email-masked]>
>> wrote:
>> 
>> What year of MGB is this tach out of? It’s way too small for a Mk.
>> I — is it out of a pillow dash car? It also lacks the inductive
>> loop that would be present on an early car. So this tach is
>> On Oct 23, 2024, at 12:25 PM, dave northrup <[email-masked]>
>> wrote:
>> 
>> ignition.  Which is which?  Or should I just try them?  I know that
>> it goes power to tach to coil.  We had the car running with the old
>> tach but no movement of the needle before we found out that the gage
>> was bad.
>> 
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html [1]
>> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs [2]
>> http://autox.team.net/archive [3]
>> 
>> Unsubscribe:
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked] [4]
> 
> 
> 
> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.team.net/donate.html
> [2] http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs
> [3] http://autox.team.net/archive
> [4] http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]