Subject: Re: [Mgs] B/GT gearbox mystery

From: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2024 23:12:55 +0000

--===============6807243404628983934==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_CO1P222MB0274FEF35A60B60B25864E45AB6F2CO1P222MB0274NAMP_"

--_000_CO1P222MB0274FEF35A60B60B25864E45AB6F2CO1P222MB0274NAMP_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Perhaps a shift fork has come loose on is shaft. Does the shift lever move =
or is it locked in place when you cannot get it into gear?

Best,

Doug
mobile
________________________________
From: Mgs <[email-masked]> on behalf of S.Carr <[email-masked]=
et>
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2024 3:09:01 PM
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mgs] B/GT gearbox mystery

My =9271 B/GT has suddenly developed a gearbox problem=97intermittently it =
will not go into any gear, whether the engine is running or not.  A few min=
utes later it will work normally, then later refuse to shift again.  Any id=
ea where we should look for the cause?  We assume the side plate will have =
to come off.  We need to fix the problem, as I want to put the car up for s=
ale before winter sets in----

Sarah Carr

=9271 B/GT in PA

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=3D550986> for Window=
s

--_000_CO1P222MB0274FEF35A60B60B25864E45AB6F2CO1P222MB0274NAMP_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DWindows-1=
252">
</head>
<body>
<div dir=3D"auto">Perhaps a shift fork has come loose on is shaft. Does the=
 shift lever move or is it locked in place when you cannot get it into gear=
?</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div dir=3D"auto" id=3D"ms-outlook-mobile-signature">
<div dir=3D"auto">Best,</div>
<div dir=3D"auto"><br>
</div>
<div dir=3D"auto">Doug</div>
<div dir=3D"auto">mobile</div>
</div>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Mgs &lt;mgs-bounces@a=
utox.team.net&gt; on behalf of S.Carr &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Monday, September 23, 2024 3:09:01 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked] &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Subject:</b> [Mgs] B/GT gearbox mystery</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<style>
<!--
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math"}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri}
p.x_MsoNormal, li.x_MsoNormal, div.x_MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif}
a:link, span.x_MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline}
span.x_DefaultFontHxMailStyle
	{font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none}
.x_MsoChpDefault
	{}
@page WordSection1
	{margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in}
div.x_WordSection1
	{}
-->
</style>
<div lang=3D"EN-US" link=3D"blue" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D"word-wrap:brea=
k-word">
<div class=3D"x_WordSection1">
<p class=3D"x_MsoNormal"><span class=3D"x_DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span sty=
le=3D"font-size:12.0pt">My =9271 B/GT has suddenly developed a gearbox prob=
lem=97intermittently it will not go into
</span></span><span class=3D"x_DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><u><span style=3D"fo=
nt-size:12.0pt">any</span></u></span><span class=3D"x_DefaultFontHxMailStyl=
e"><span style=3D"font-size:12.0pt"> gear, whether the engine is running or=
 not.&nbsp; A few minutes later it will work
 normally, then later refuse to shift again.&nbsp; Any idea where we should=
 look for the cause?&nbsp; We assume the side plate will have to come off.&=
nbsp; We need to fix the problem, as I want to put the car up for sale befo=
re winter sets in----</span></span></p>
<p class=3D"x_MsoNormal"><span class=3D"x_DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span sty=
le=3D"font-size:12.0pt">Sarah Carr</span></span></p>
<p class=3D"x_MsoNormal"><span class=3D"x_DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span sty=
le=3D"font-size:12.0pt">=9271 B/GT in PA</span></span></p>
<p class=3D"x_MsoNormal"><span class=3D"x_DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span sty=
le=3D"font-size:12.0pt">&nbsp;</span></span></p>
<p class=3D"x_MsoNormal">Sent from <a href=3D"https://go.microsoft.com/fwli=
nk/?LinkId=3D550986">
Mail</a> for Windows</p>
<p class=3D"x_MsoNormal"><span class=3D"x_DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span sty=
le=3D"font-size:12.0pt">&nbsp;</span></span></p>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_CO1P222MB0274FEF35A60B60B25864E45AB6F2CO1P222MB0274NAMP_--

--===============6807243404628983934==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============6807243404628983934==--

---

From: Paul Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2024 10:08:58 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7480996803869608931==
 boundary="------------0mqlFj2LT588V00Pc4SGq5yl"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------0mqlFj2LT588V00Pc4SGq5yl
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

It's not uncommon to get problems selecting reverse or 1st, but lifting 
the clutch then trying again (if nudging towards 1st or 2nd doesn't 
work) has worked for me on two cars over 30 years. Not had a problem 
selecting 3rd or 4th ... but then I rarely do that at a standstill!  If 
the engine isn't running then you _can_ get failure to get it into any 
gear, or maybe have to try and select all of them before things move enough.

Is it grinding when trying to select reverse but won't go in?  If so 
that's the clutch.  That can also prevent selection of forward gears but 
without grinding.

Have there been any problems getting it out of gear once it has gone 
in?  Any unpleasant noises when you have selected a gear and are 
driving?  If not then selector problems and gear set problems are 
perhaps unlikely.  Also if the problem is with all the gears as you say 
i.e. all the fore and aft movements into reverse, 1st/2nd, and 3rd/4th 
then again selector problems seem less likely as there are three 
separate rods and forks.  The only common points are where the remote 
extension engages with the three rods which is accessed from the top of 
the gearbox i.e. a gearbox out job.  There is also an interlock plate 
which in that area which engages with that end of the selector rods and 
I think prevents more than one gear being engaged at a time.

I can understand the problem coming and going with the clutch if 
sometimes the master cylinder is failing to pressurise the fluid and 
move the slave piston, more so than something having come loose inside 
the gearbox, with the possible exception of that interlock plate.

PaulH.

On 23/09/2024 23:09, S.Carr wrote:
>
> My ’71 B/GT has suddenly developed a gearbox problem—intermittently it 
> will not go into _any_gear, whether the engine is running or not.  A 
> few minutes later it will work normally, then later refuse to shift 
> again.  Any idea where we should look for the cause?  We assume the 
> side plate will have to come off.  We need to fix the problem, as I 
> want to put the car up for sale before winter sets in----
>
> Sarah Carr
>
> ’71 B/GT in PA
>
> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for 
> Windows
>
>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs  http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
--------------0mqlFj2LT588V00Pc4SGq5yl
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>It's not uncommon to get problems selecting reverse or 1st, but
      lifting the clutch then trying again (if nudging towards 1st or
      2nd doesn't work) has worked for me on two cars over 30 years. 
      Not had a problem selecting 3rd or 4th ... but then I rarely do
      that at a standstill!  If the engine isn't running then you _can_
      get failure to get it into any gear, or maybe have to try and
      select all of them before things move enough.<br>
    </p>
    <p>Is it grinding when trying to select reverse but won't go in?  If
      so that's the clutch.  That can also prevent selection of forward
      gears but without grinding.<br>
    </p>
    <p>Have there been any problems getting it out of gear once it has
      gone in?  Any unpleasant noises when you have selected a gear and
      are driving?  If not then selector problems and gear set problems
      are perhaps unlikely.  Also if the problem is with all the gears
      as you say i.e. all the fore and aft movements into reverse,
      1st/2nd, and 3rd/4th then again selector problems seem less likely
      as there are three separate rods and forks.  The only common
      points are where the remote extension engages with the three rods
      which is accessed from the top of the gearbox i.e. a gearbox out
      job.  There is also an interlock plate which in that area which
      engages with that end of the selector rods and I think prevents
      more than one gear being engaged at a time.</p>
    <p>I can understand the problem coming and going with the clutch if
      sometimes the master cylinder is failing to pressurise the fluid
      and move the slave piston, more so than something having come
      loose inside the gearbox, with the possible exception of that
      interlock plate.</p>
    <p>PaulH.<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 23/09/2024 23:09, S.Carr wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta name="Generator"
        content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}span.DefaultFontHxMailStyle
	{mso-style-name:"Default Font HxMail Style";
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style>
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span class="DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt">My ’71 B/GT has suddenly
              developed a gearbox problem—intermittently it will not go
              into </span></span><span class="DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><u><span
                style="font-size:12.0pt">any</span></u></span><span
            class="DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt"> gear, whether the engine is
              running or not.  A few minutes later it will work
              normally, then later refuse to shift again.  Any idea
              where we should look for the cause?  We assume the side
              plate will have to come off.  We need to fix the problem,
              as I want to put the car up for sale before winter sets
              in----<o:p></o:p></span></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span class="DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt">Sarah Carr<o:p></o:p></span></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span class="DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt">’71 B/GT in PA<o:p></o:p></span></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span class="DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt"><o:p> </o:p></span></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Sent from <a
            href="https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986"
            moz-do-not-send="true">Mail</a> for Windows</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span class="DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt"><o:p> </o:p></span></span></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------0mqlFj2LT588V00Pc4SGq5yl--

--===============7480996803869608931==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7480996803869608931==--

---

From: Paul Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 12:25:01 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4513854784067036406==
 boundary="------------30yF7EQadEPpVFY0UMxGE73g"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------30yF7EQadEPpVFY0UMxGE73g
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Further thoughts.

As well as interfacing at the front of the gearbox under the remote 
control unit the shafts also interface aft of the gearbox proper in the 
extension (to which is attached the overdrive if fitted).  The rear of 
the shafts have curved fingers at right-angles to the shafts that have 
to pass over each other as each shaft is moved fore and aft.  They, the 
pieces at the front with the interlock plate, and the forks that shift 
the hubs all have screws going into holes in the shafts with locknuts to 
keep things in the correct relative positions.  The ones at the front 
and the back are locked with wire, but for some reason (two gearboxes) 
the forks don't seem to have the wire.  It's the fork that sets the 
rotational position of the each shaft, and hence the relationship 
between the interlock components at the front and the fingers at the 
rear.  If one of those has come loose then that shaft could turn and 
prevent the other two from moving as well as itself.  The forks are 
visible by removing the side cover, so you might get lucky.  Several 
pictures of these areas and others taken during a dismantle here 
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/geardis.htm

PaulH.

> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for 
--------------30yF7EQadEPpVFY0UMxGE73g
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Further thoughts.</p>
    <p>As well as interfacing at the front of the gearbox under the
      remote control unit the shafts also interface aft of the gearbox
      proper in the extension (to which is attached the overdrive if
      fitted).  The rear of the shafts have curved fingers at
      right-angles to the shafts that have to pass over each other as
      each shaft is moved fore and aft.  They, the pieces at the front
      with the interlock plate, and the forks that shift the hubs all
      have screws going into holes in the shafts with locknuts to keep
      things in the correct relative positions.  The ones at the front
      and the back are locked with wire, but for some reason (two
      gearboxes) the forks don't seem to have the wire.  It's the fork
      that sets the rotational position of the each shaft, and hence the
      relationship between the interlock components at the front and the
      fingers at the rear.  If one of those has come loose then that
      shaft could turn and prevent the other two from moving as well as
      itself.  The forks are visible by removing the side cover, so you
      might get lucky.  Several pictures of these areas and others taken
      during a dismantle here <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/geardis.htm">http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/geardis.htm</a></p>
    <p>PaulH.<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 23/09/2024 23:09, S.Carr wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta name="Generator"
        content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}span.DefaultFontHxMailStyle
	{mso-style-name:"Default Font HxMail Style";
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style>
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span class="DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt">My ’71 B/GT has suddenly
              developed a gearbox problem—intermittently it will not go
              into </span></span><span class="DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><u><span
                style="font-size:12.0pt">any</span></u></span><span
            class="DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt"> gear, whether the engine is
              running or not.  A few minutes later it will work
              normally, then later refuse to shift again.  Any idea
              where we should look for the cause?  We assume the side
              plate will have to come off.  We need to fix the problem,
              as I want to put the car up for sale before winter sets
              in----<o:p></o:p></span></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span class="DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt">Sarah Carr<o:p></o:p></span></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span class="DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt">’71 B/GT in PA<o:p></o:p></span></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span class="DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt"><o:p> </o:p></span></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Sent from <a
            href="https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986"
            moz-do-not-send="true">Mail</a> for Windows</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span class="DefaultFontHxMailStyle"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt"><o:p> </o:p></span></span></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

--------------30yF7EQadEPpVFY0UMxGE73g--

--===============4513854784067036406==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4513854784067036406==--