Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB Carpet set

From: Paul Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 15:11:55 +0100

Moulded definitely better and worth paying for, although on a four-synch 
with the centre arm-rest and cubby the creases aren't that noticeable.  
Ads should state if moulded, if it doesn't say it probably isn't.

Moulding is also an issue in the rear arches, and whether there is a 
section covering the chassis rails at the base of those.

PaulH.

On 24/04/2024 14:32, Allen Hess wrote:
> I’m looking at carpet sets for 71 roadster. I would like to hear about experiences with molded tunnel versus not molded. Fit and ease of installation? Of course there is a price difference. What vendors sell the molded set?
>
> Allen
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Robert's New iPad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 10:46:15 -0400

I have not bought carpets for my MGB so can not comment on moulded vs flat.
	I have learned, though, that one can shape flat carpeting with a bit of steam, steaming, pushing & pulling to shape, repeated as needed to get the shape one wants. 
Bob

> On Apr 24, 2024, at 9:45 AM, Allen Hess <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Robert's New iPad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 10:53:57 -0400

Rimmer Bros offer “OE Quality Carpet Sets”, with moulded tunnel carpet. 
	For Left Hand Drive roadsters, Black, Red, Navy, and Autumn Leaf are shown in their catalogue.  
	Price is not shown in catalogue, but if you went to the site and looked for RP1230BlackOE you would find the price in US $.   There is no tariff for orders less than $800.
Bob

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 09:27:11 -0700

--===============6924744377793106974==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_C6B5306D-43E6-4E32-9270-54F681F7538C"

--Apple-Mail=_C6B5306D-43E6-4E32-9270-54F681F7538C
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

Getting the non-molded set to fit the rear arches is almost impossible, =
since the cheap carpet has a plastic backing that is very resistant to =
stretching. You have to make a series of cuts and hope it butts =
together. It also doesn=E2=80=99t fit the tunnel very well, but in my =
case, with a 4-synchro conversion, the tunnel top was the wrong shape =
anyway. I padded it out with foam and board to make a plausible profile. =
In order to preserve access to the top cover, the tunnel carpet is not =
glued down =E2=80=94 it is pinned by the speaker console and shifter =
boot bezel, and snapped around the base where it tucks under the floor =
carpet.

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB

> On Apr 24, 2024, at 6:32=E2=80=AFAM, Allen Hess =
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> I=E2=80=99m looking at carpet sets for 71 roadster. I would like to =
hear about experiences with molded tunnel versus not molded. Fit and =
ease of installation? Of course there is a price difference. What =
vendors sell the molded set?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs =
http://autox.team.net/archive
>=20
> Unsubscribe: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_C6B5306D-43E6-4E32-9270-54F681F7538C
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;">Getting the =
non-molded set to fit the rear arches is almost impossible, since the =
cheap carpet has a plastic backing that is very resistant to stretching. =
You have to make a series of cuts and hope it butts together. It also =
doesn=E2=80=99t fit the tunnel very well, but in my case, with a =
4-synchro conversion, the tunnel top was the wrong shape anyway. I =
padded it out with foam and board to make a plausible profile. In order =
to preserve access to the top cover, the tunnel carpet is not glued down =
=E2=80=94 it is pinned by the speaker console and shifter boot bezel, =
and snapped around the base where it tucks under the floor =
carpet.<div><br></div><div><div>
--<br>Max Heim<br>'66 MGB

</div>

<div><br><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>On Apr 24, 2024, at 6:32=E2=80=AFA=
M, Allen Hess &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div><div>I=E2=80=99m looking at =
carpet sets for 71 roadster. I would like to hear about experiences with =
molded tunnel versus not molded. Fit and ease of installation? Of course =
there is a price difference. What vendors sell the molded =
set?<br><br>Allen<br>_______________________________________________<br><b=
r>[email-masked]<br>Donate: =
&nbsp;$12.75<br><br>Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs =
http://autox.team.net/archive<br><br>Unsubscribe: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]<br><br></div></=
div></blockquote></div><br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_C6B5306D-43E6-4E32-9270-54F681F7538C--

--===============6924744377793106974==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6924744377793106974==--

---

From: David Councill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 10:27:42 -0700

I have done carpeting in three MGBs and one MGBGT over the past several 
decades. My first time was with free carpet fragments in a 65B. My 72B 
and 64B used the moulded carpet sets from Moss or a Moss reseller. And 
more recently I used a cheaper flat carpet set from an Internet vendor 
on my 67BGT.

For your 71 roadster, I would say moulded is almost a must - trying to 
fit/shape a flat set would be time consuming and hard to get a decent 
fit and appearance. With the earlier 62-67 roadsters, the flat set will 
take a lot more work to fit and can still look decent.

For my 67BGT, I had to do a fair bit of cutting and shaping but I 
wouldn't do it again at least if the car is in overall decent shape.

David

On 4/24/2024 7:11 AM, Paul Hunt wrote:
> Moulded definitely better and worth paying for, although on a 
> four-synch with the centre arm-rest and cubby the creases aren't that 
> noticeable.  Ads should state if moulded, if it doesn't say it 
> probably isn't.
>
>> I’m looking at carpet sets for 71 roadster. I would like to hear 
>> about experiences with molded tunnel versus not molded. Fit and ease 
>> of installation? Of course there is a price difference. What vendors 
>> sell the molded set?
>>
>> Allen

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 08:44:25 +0100

I've seen woven plastic backing on the factory moulded tunnel carpet but 
my cheap flat was just hessian backed so probably is capable of being 
steamed.  Whilst I used the tunnel carpet as is I cut darts in the 
pieces for the rear arches.

PaulH.

On 24/04/2024 17:27, Max Heim wrote:
> Getting the non-molded set to fit the rear arches is almost 
> impossible, since the cheap carpet has a plastic backing that is very 
> resistant to stretching. You have to make a series of cuts and hope it 
> butts together. It also doesn’t fit the tunnel very well, but in my 
> case, with a 4-synchro conversion, the tunnel top was the wrong shape 
> anyway. I padded it out with foam and board to make a plausible 
> profile. In order to preserve access to the top cover, the tunnel 
> carpet is not glued down — it is pinned by the speaker console and 
> shifter boot bezel, and snapped around the base where it tucks under 
> the floor carpet.
>
> --
> Max Heim
> '66 MGB
>

[email-masked]