Subject: Re: [Mgs] Vintage MGBGT sighting

From: Paul Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 08:11:11 +0000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0812213927184293218==
 boundary="------------tn3WMB8hiYTevx8S6YhC3NRY"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------tn3WMB8hiYTevx8S6YhC3NRY
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

"six outlandish vehicles" is bad enough?  But "... and a TWA stewardess, 
for God’s sake"?  How times have changed ...

On 27/02/2024 20:01, Larry Colen wrote:
> Today I learned that one of the six cars in the first Cannonball Baker sea to shining sea trophy dash was an MGBGT
>
> https://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/a15143608/the-cannonball-baker-sea-to-shining-sea-memorial-trophy-dash-archived-feature/
--------------tn3WMB8hiYTevx8S6YhC3NRY
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>"<span
style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Charter, Charter-roboto, Charter-local, Georgia, Times, serif; font-size: 19px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial; display: inline !important; float: none;">six
        outlandish vehicles" is bad enough?  But "... </span><span
style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Charter, Charter-roboto, Charter-local, Georgia, Times, serif; font-size: 19px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial; display: inline !important; float: none;">and
        a TWA stewardess, for God’s sake"?  How times have changed ...<br>
      </span></p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 27/02/2024 20:01, Larry Colen wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">Today I learned that one of the six cars in the first Cannonball Baker sea to shining sea trophy dash was an MGBGT

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/a15143608/the-cannonball-baker-sea-to-shining-sea-memorial-trophy-dash-archived-feature/">https://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/a15143608/the-cannonball-baker-sea-to-shining-sea-memorial-trophy-dash-archived-feature/</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------tn3WMB8hiYTevx8S6YhC3NRY--

--===============0812213927184293218==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============0812213927184293218==--

---

From: Dan DiBiase <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 07:31:54 -0500

--===============6366389616832270061==

--0000000000001bde080612705677
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Man, I remember this. I was a CD subscriber for decades, starting around
this time. Still have hundreds of them (and Road and Track, Hot Rod, etc).
This was really great automotive writing and adventure. The magazines are a
shadow of themselves these days.

Dan D
'76 MGB
Central NJ USA

On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 3:48=E2=80=AFPM Larry Colen <[email-masked]> wrote=
:

> Today I learned that one of the six cars in the first Cannonball Baker se=
a
> to shining sea trophy dash was an MGBGT
>
>
> https://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/a15143608/the-cannonball-ba=
ker-sea-to-shining-sea-memorial-trophy-dash-archived-feature/
>
> --
> Larry Colen
> [email-masked]  sent from ret13est
>
>
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
>

--0000000000001bde080612705677
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Man, I remember this. I was a CD subscriber for decades, s=
tarting around this time. Still have hundreds of them=C2=A0(and Road and Tr=
ack, Hot Rod, etc). This was really great automotive writing and adventure.=
 The magazines are a shadow of themselves these days.<div><br></div><div>Da=
n D</div><div>&#39;76 MGB</div><div>Central NJ USA</div></div><br><div clas=
s=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Feb 27, 202=
4 at 3:48=E2=80=AFPM Larry Colen &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">lrc=
@red4est.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" styl=
e=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);paddin=
g-left:1ex">Today I learned that one of the six cars in the first Cannonbal=
l Baker sea to shining sea trophy dash was an MGBGT<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"https://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/a15143608/the-cann=
onball-baker-sea-to-shining-sea-memorial-trophy-dash-archived-feature/" rel=
=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.caranddriver.com/features/col=
umns/a15143608/the-cannonball-baker-sea-to-shining-sea-memorial-trophy-dash=
-archived-feature/</a><br>
<br>
--<br>
Larry Colen<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>=C2=
=A0 sent from ret13est<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]<=
/a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs" rel=3D"noreferrer" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a href=3D"http://au=
tox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.tea=
m.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
Unsubscribe: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/dan.dibia=
[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/ma=
ilman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000001bde080612705677--

--===============6366389616832270061==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6366389616832270061==--

---

From: David Breneman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 17:05:00 +0000 (UTC)

--===============2026025845662680410==
	boundary="----=_Part_2103000_1579324920.1709139900797"

------=_Part_2103000_1579324920.1709139900797
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 On Wednesday, February 28, 2024 at 04:45:47 AM PST, Dan DiBiase <dan.dibia=
[email-masked]> wrote:=20
 > Man, I remember this. I was a CD subscriber for decades, starting around=
 this=C2=A0> time. Still have hundreds of them=C2=A0(and Road and Track, Ho=
t Rod, etc). This was=C2=A0> really great automotive writing and adventure.=
 The magazines are a shadow of=C2=A0> themselves these days.
Yeah, I began subscribing to C/D in high school, so almost 50 years ago.=C2=
=A0 It stoodout from the pack because of its excellent writing and irrevere=
nt attitude.=C2=A0 I stillget it, but I don't think I've cracked the cover =
of one in over a year.=C2=A0 It just isn'tcompelling anymore.=C2=A0 A lot o=
f the best writers got pulled away into David Davis'=C2=A0Automobile Magazi=
ne, which later folded, and left C/D bereft.=20
=20
------=_Part_2103000_1579324920.1709139900797
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body><div class=3D"ydpa96358ecyahoo-style-wrap" style=
=3D"font-family:verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><br></div><=
div id=3D"ydp6fb216c2yahoo_quoted_9324073784" class=3D"ydp6fb216c2yahoo_quo=
ted">
            <div style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, s=
ans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">On Wednesday, February 28, 2024 at=
 04:45:47 AM PST, Dan DiBiase &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:
               =20
                <div><br></div>
                <div><div>&gt; Man, I remember this. I was a CD subscriber =
for decades, starting around this&nbsp;</div><div>&gt; time. Still have hun=
dreds of them&nbsp;(and Road and Track, Hot Rod, etc). This was&nbsp;</div>=
<div>&gt; really great automotive writing and adventure. The magazines are =
a shadow of&nbsp;</div><div>&gt; themselves these days.</div><div><br clear=
=3D"none"></div><div>Yeah, I began subscribing to C/D in high school, so al=
most 50 years ago.&nbsp; It stood</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"fals=
e">out from the pack because of its excellent writing and irreverent attitu=
de.&nbsp; I still</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">get it, but I=
 don't think I've cracked the cover of one in over a year.&nbsp; It just is=
n't</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">compelling anymore.&nbsp; A=
 lot of the best writers got pulled away into David Davis'&nbsp;</div><div =
dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Automobile Magazine, which later folded, =
and left C/D bereft. <br></div></div></div>
        </div></body></html>
------=_Part_2103000_1579324920.1709139900797--

--===============2026025845662680410==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2026025845662680410==--

---

From: Larry Colen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 10:45:05 -0800

> On Feb 28, 2024, at 9:05 AM, David Breneman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> On Wednesday, February 28, 2024 at 04:45:47 AM PST, Dan DiBiase <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > Man, I remember this. I was a CD subscriber for decades, starting around this 
> > time. Still have hundreds of them (and Road and Track, Hot Rod, etc). This was 
> > really great automotive writing and adventure. The magazines are a shadow of 
> > themselves these days.
> 
> Yeah, I began subscribing to C/D in high school, so almost 50 years ago.  It stood
> out from the pack because of its excellent writing and irreverent attitude.  I still
> get it, but I don't think I've cracked the cover of one in over a year.  It just isn't
> compelling anymore.  A lot of the best writers got pulled away into David Davis' 
> Automobile Magazine, which later folded, and left C/D bereft. 

Yeah C/D was the most fun of the lot.  I thought that R/T had the best technical stuff, and but I loved Peter Egan's column.  His story of driving a Frogeye from Wisconsin(?) back to Southern California was a classic.  I loved the line "65 MPH is 4000 RPM, All. Day. Long."  I also loved reading Satch Carlson and Denise McCluggage in Autoweek.  It turned out that my dad peripherally knw McCluggage when he raced MGs in the Northeast back in the 50's.

[email-masked]

---

From: Dan DiBiase <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 15:22:22 -0500

--===============5611720282686688547==

--000000000000a4b84a061276e8f2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

And let's not forget Henry N Manney III....

Dan D

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 2:58=E2=80=AFPM Larry Colen <[email-masked]> wrote=
:

> Yeah C/D was the most fun of the lot.  I thought that R/T had the best
> technical stuff, and but I loved Peter Egan's column.  His story of drivi=
ng
> a Frogeye from Wisconsin(?) back to Southern California was a classic.  I
> loved the line "65 MPH is 4000 RPM, All. Day. Long."  I also loved readin=
g
> Satch Carlson and Denise McCluggage in Autoweek.  It turned out that my d=
ad
> peripherally knw McCluggage when he raced MGs in the Northeast back in th=
e
> 50's.

--000000000000a4b84a061276e8f2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">And let&#39;s not forget Henry N Manney III....<div><br></=
div><div>Dan D</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" c=
lass=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 2:58=E2=80=AFPM Larry Colen &lt=
;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div=
><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border=
-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br>
<br>
&gt; On Feb 28, 2024, at 9:05 AM, David Breneman &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:davi=
[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wr=
ote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On Wednesday, February 28, 2024 at 04:45:47 AM PST, Dan DiBiase &lt;<a=
 href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">dan.dibiase@gmail.=
com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Man, I remember this. I was a CD subscriber for decades, starting=
 around this <br>
&gt; &gt; time. Still have hundreds of them (and Road and Track, Hot Rod, e=
tc). This was <br>
&gt; &gt; really great automotive writing and adventure. The magazines are =
a shadow of <br>
&gt; &gt; themselves these days.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Yeah, I began subscribing to C/D in high school, so almost 50 years ag=
o.=C2=A0 It stood<br>
&gt; out from the pack because of its excellent writing and irreverent atti=
tude.=C2=A0 I still<br>
&gt; get it, but I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve cracked the cover of one in ove=
r a year.=C2=A0 It just isn&#39;t<br>
&gt; compelling anymore.=C2=A0 A lot of the best writers got pulled away in=
to David Davis&#39; <br>
&gt; Automobile Magazine, which later folded, and left C/D bereft. <br>
<br>
Yeah C/D was the most fun of the lot.=C2=A0 I thought that R/T had the best=
 technical stuff, and but I loved Peter Egan&#39;s column.=C2=A0 His story =
of driving a Frogeye from Wisconsin(?) back to Southern California was a cl=
assic.=C2=A0 I loved the line &quot;65 MPH is 4000 RPM, All. Day. Long.&quo=
t;=C2=A0 I also loved reading Satch Carlson and Denise McCluggage in Autowe=
ek.=C2=A0 It turned out that my dad peripherally knw McCluggage when he rac=
ed MGs in the Northeast back in the 50&#39;s.<br>
<br>
<br>
--<br>
Larry Colen<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>=C2=
=A0 sent from ret13est<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]<=
/a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs" rel=3D"noreferrer" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a href=3D"http://au=
tox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.tea=
m.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
Unsubscribe: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/dan.dibia=
[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/ma=
ilman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000a4b84a061276e8f2--

--===============5611720282686688547==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5611720282686688547==--

---

From: David Woerpel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 16:00:14 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7381519635614082503==
 boundary="------------M309y4g2FcvwR97EGeLZllpg"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------M309y4g2FcvwR97EGeLZllpg
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Must add: L.J.K. Setright and Motor Magazine's, William Boddy. Dang, I'm 
old.   That new guy Levy isn't too bad.  ;-)
Dave W
'59 MGA 1500
'59 :{)
"Pay It Forward"

On 2/28/2024 2:22 PM, Dan DiBiase wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 2:58 PM Larry Colen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
>
>     Yeah C/D was the most fun of the lot.  I thought that R/T had the
>     best technical stuff, and but I loved Peter Egan's column.  His
>     story of driving a Frogeye from Wisconsin(?) back to Southern
>     California was a classic.  I loved the line "65 MPH is 4000 RPM,
>     All. Day. Long."  I also loved reading Satch Carlson and Denise
>     McCluggage in Autoweek.  It turned out that my dad peripherally
>     knw McCluggage when he raced MGs in the Northeast back in the 50's.
>
>
>     --
>     Larry Colen
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs  http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--------------M309y4g2FcvwR97EGeLZllpg
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Must add: L.J.K. Setright and Motor Magazine's, William Boddy.  
    Dang, I'm old.   That new guy Levy isn't too bad.  ;-)<br>
    Dave W<br>
    '59 MGA 1500 <br>
    '59 :{)<br>
    "Pay It Forward"<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 2/28/2024 2:22 PM, Dan DiBiase
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CABxEc+=YE-JEUwmKk34duHBntNui00i=[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">And let's not forget Henry N Manney III....
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Dan D</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div class="gmail_quote">
        <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at
          2:58 PM Larry Colen &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote"
style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br>
          <br>
          &gt; On Feb 28, 2024, at 9:05 AM, David Breneman &lt;<a
            href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          &gt; <br>
          &gt; <br>
          &gt; On Wednesday, February 28, 2024 at 04:45:47 AM PST, Dan
          DiBiase &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          &gt; <br>
          &gt; &gt; Man, I remember this. I was a CD subscriber for
          decades, starting around this <br>
          &gt; &gt; time. Still have hundreds of them (and Road and
          Track, Hot Rod, etc). This was <br>
          &gt; &gt; really great automotive writing and adventure. The
          magazines are a shadow of <br>
          &gt; &gt; themselves these days.<br>
          &gt; <br>
          &gt; Yeah, I began subscribing to C/D in high school, so
          almost 50 years ago.  It stood<br>
          &gt; out from the pack because of its excellent writing and
          irreverent attitude.  I still<br>
          &gt; get it, but I don't think I've cracked the cover of one
          in over a year.  It just isn't<br>
          &gt; compelling anymore.  A lot of the best writers got pulled
          away into David Davis' <br>
          &gt; Automobile Magazine, which later folded, and left C/D
          bereft. <br>
          <br>
          Yeah C/D was the most fun of the lot.  I thought that R/T had
          the best technical stuff, and but I loved Peter Egan's
          column.  His story of driving a Frogeye from Wisconsin(?) back
          to Southern California was a classic.  I loved the line "65
          MPH is 4000 RPM, All. Day. Long."  I also loved reading Satch
          Carlson and Denise McCluggage in Autoweek.  It turned out that
          my dad peripherally knw McCluggage when he raced MGs in the
          Northeast back in the 50's.<br>
          <br>
          <br>
          --<br>
          Larry Colen<br>
          <a href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a> 
          sent from ret13est<br>
          <br>
          <br>
          <br>
          <br>
          _______________________________________________<br>
          <br>
          <a href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a><br>
          Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
          <br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a>
          <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive" rel="noreferrer"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
          <br>
          Unsubscribe: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a><br>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------M309y4g2FcvwR97EGeLZllpg--

--===============7381519635614082503==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7381519635614082503==--

---

From: Mark Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 15:50:04 -0700

Peter Egan, Road & Track.

mjb.

[email-masked]