Subject: Re: [Mgs] 58 mga

From: Paul Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 08:18:53 +0000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3383814493821742327==
 boundary="------------e84CnhfT25rJuf20ZCtEGlV2"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------e84CnhfT25rJuf20ZCtEGlV2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

What's the biting point like?  If that's fine then leave it alone.

I don't know the MGA master but on the MGB the master piston comes back 
to the circlip in the bore and positions the resting position of the 
pedal, and that determines how much 'throw' you have at the pedal, the 
slave cylinder and hence the release bearing.  Slop in the linkage at 
the pedal puts it closer to the floor and results in less slave piston 
movement and hence a lower biting point.  The same is not true of the 
linkage at the clutch end as a spring inside the slave cylinder pushes 
the piston out to take up all the play at that end, and more importantly 
to compensate for the graphite release bearing wearing down.  The more 
that wears the further the piston moves out, drawing fluid down from the 
master reservoir, so you continue to get a full stroke of the release 
arm.  That makes the MGB clutch system self-adjusting, and there is no 
scope for threaded adjustment anywhere in the system.  But as I say that 
is the MGB not the MGA.

PaulH.

On 29/10/2023 23:49, dave northrup wrote:
>
> I am reassembling the car; it was never running and driving under my 
> ownership.
>
> I noticed today as I’m attempting to get the car running and driving 
> for the first time that there is play in the clutch in the rod that 
> goes into the master.
>
> It is threaded about as far out as it can go.
>
> It occurred to me that I could thread a rod so that there is virtually 
> no play, and that the as soon as you press the clutch pedal it will 
> move inside the master.  It also occurred to me that that might be a 
> bad idea. Can/should I do that?  or will it push too far inside the 
> master and cause additional problems?  It isn’t more than about ½” of 
> play or so
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs  http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
--------------e84CnhfT25rJuf20ZCtEGlV2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>What's the biting point like?  If that's fine then leave it
      alone.</p>
    <p>I don't know the MGA master but on the MGB the master piston
      comes back to the circlip in the bore and positions the resting
      position of the pedal, and that determines how much 'throw' you
      have at the pedal, the slave cylinder and hence the release
      bearing.  Slop in the linkage at the pedal puts it closer to the
      floor and results in less slave piston movement and hence a lower
      biting point.  The same is not true of the linkage at the clutch
      end as a spring inside the slave cylinder pushes the piston out to
      take up all the play at that end, and more importantly to
      compensate for the graphite release bearing wearing down.  The
      more that wears the further the piston moves out, drawing fluid
      down from the master reservoir, so you continue to get a full
      stroke of the release arm.  That makes the MGB clutch system
      self-adjusting, and there is no scope for threaded adjustment
      anywhere in the system.  But as I say that is the MGB not the MGA.</p>
    <p>PaulH.<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 29/10/2023 23:49, dave northrup
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta name="Generator"
        content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-ligatures:standardcontextual;}span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal">I am reassembling the car; it was never
          running and driving under my ownership.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">I noticed today as I’m attempting to get
          the car running and driving for the first time that there is
          play in the clutch in the rod that goes into the master.
          <o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">It is threaded about as far out as it can
          go.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">It occurred to me that I could thread a rod
          so that there is virtually no play, and that the as soon as
          you press the clutch pedal it will move inside the master.  It
          also occurred to me that that might be a bad idea. Can/should
          I do that?  or will it push too far inside the master and
          cause additional problems?  It isn’t more than about ½” of
          play or so<o:p></o:p></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------e84CnhfT25rJuf20ZCtEGlV2--

--===============3383814493821742327==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============3383814493821742327==--