Subject: [Mgs] Moss Motors clutch master cylinder brake fluid

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 12:30:15 -0400 (EDT)

--===============8962580327448858879==
	boundary="=_63f72201-5238-48db-b482-c21d0982ec8f"

--=_63f72201-5238-48db-b482-c21d0982ec8f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hello everyone, 

I'm about to replace the clutch hydraulics on my 1974 MGB. I did this one other time a few years ago and used a master cylinder from a company in Knoxville, TN. One problem I had with it was that it was hard to get its cap off without first removing the cap on the brake master cylinder. The new cylinder from Moss appears that it won't have that issue. It's this one under 180-697: [ https://mossmotors.com/180-697-clutch-master-cylinder-replacement-3-4-bore | https://mossmotors.com/180-697-clutch-master-cylinder-replacement-3-4-bore ] 

The problem is that there's no label on the cylinder stating whether or not it's DOT 3 compliant. The brake master I installed ( [ https://mossmotors.com/180-767-brake-master-cylinder-aftermarket | https://mossmotors.com/180-767-brake-master-cylinder-aftermarket)  ] is an aftermarket replacement from Moss, and it's labeled as DOT 3 compliant. I'm under the impression that most parts sold in the US are supposed to be that way, and have also been told that these new cylinders use a synthetic rubber that the old original cylinders didn't have, so the fluid is less mission critical and shouldn't cause the rubber parts to deteriorate. 

There's nothing on the Moss website saying one way or the other. Any thoughts? 

Thank you, 
-William Killeffer 
1974 MGB 
1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 
2015 Chevrolet Sonic hatchback 1.8 5-speed 

--=_63f72201-5238-48db-b482-c21d0982ec8f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-s=
ize: 12pt; color: #000000"><div>Hello everyone,</div><div><br data-mce-bogu=
s=3D"1"></div><div>I'm about to replace the clutch hydraulics on my 1974 MG=
B. I did this one other time a few years ago and used a master cylinder fro=
m a company in Knoxville, TN. One problem I had with it was that it was har=
d to get its cap off without first removing the cap on the brake master cyl=
inder. The new cylinder from Moss appears that it won't have that issue. It=
's this one under 180-697:&nbsp;<a href=3D"https://mossmotors.com/180-697-c=
lutch-master-cylinder-replacement-3-4-bore" style=3D"font-size: 12pt;">http=
s://mossmotors.com/180-697-clutch-master-cylinder-replacement-3-4-bore</a><=
/div><div><br data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div>The problem is that there's n=
o label on the cylinder stating whether or not it's DOT 3 compliant. The br=
ake master I installed (<a href=3D"https://mossmotors.com/180-767-brake-mas=
ter-cylinder-aftermarket" style=3D"font-size: 12pt;">https://mossmotors.com=
/180-767-brake-master-cylinder-aftermarket) </a><span style=3D"font-size: 1=
2pt;">is an aftermarket replacement from Moss, and it's labeled as DOT 3 co=
mpliant. I'm under the impression that most parts sold in the US are suppos=
ed to be that way, and have also been told that these new cylinders use a s=
ynthetic rubber that the old original cylinders didn't have, so the fluid i=
s less mission critical and shouldn't cause the rubber parts to deteriorate=
.</span></div><div><br data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div>There's nothing on t=
he Moss website saying one way or the other. Any thoughts?</div><div><br da=
ta-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div>Thank you,</div><div>-William Killeffer</div>=
<div>1974 MGB</div><div>1996 Jeep Cherokee Country</div><div>2015 Chevrolet=
 Sonic hatchback 1.8 5-speed</div></div></body></html>
--=_63f72201-5238-48db-b482-c21d0982ec8f--

--===============8962580327448858879==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============8962580327448858879==--