Subject: Re: [Mgs] mga 1500 with early 5 main mgb engine

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 17:52:40 -0700

--===============0801744703391914196==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_49108B09-04E3-48E2-800B-1E834558970B"

--Apple-Mail=_49108B09-04E3-48E2-800B-1E834558970B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

Hmm, the back of that tach case has obviously been modified. Are you =
sure it still contains the matching internals? I say this because for 20 =
years I ran my Mk. I MGB with the original tach case, faceplate & =
needle, but with a cheap auto parts store mini-tach inside the case. The =
only modifications were two small screw holes to attach the mechanism.

An original MGB Mk. I tach would have had a loop in the white wire, =
attached to the back of the case with a thumb nut and a thin U-shaped =
brass bracket. I am not seeing that on yours.

Actually, I guess it is unclear whether you are talking about an MGA =
tach or an early MGB tach...

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB

> On Jul 30, 2023, at 5:22 PM, dave northrup <[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> Negative ground, car runs smoothly, need to install the electric tach =
which supposedly was previously installed in this car and working.
> =20
> On the back view, what hooks up where?  I am pretty sure the tab, and =
the screw, are ground.
> =20
> The other two =E2=80=93 one needs to go to power and the other to the =
coil.  I think one is a female bullet connector; the other is male.  =
Which goes to power and which to the coil?
> <tach front view.jpg><tach rear =
view.jpg>_______________________________________________
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html =
<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs =
<http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs> http://autox.team.net/archive =
<http://autox.team.net/archive>
>=20
> Unsubscribe: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked] =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]>

--Apple-Mail=_49108B09-04E3-48E2-800B-1E834558970B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">Hmm, =
the back of that tach case has obviously been modified. Are you sure it =
still contains the matching internals? I say this because for 20 years I =
ran my Mk. I MGB with the original tach case, faceplate &amp; needle, =
but with a cheap auto parts store mini-tach inside the case. The only =
modifications were two small screw holes to attach the mechanism.<div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">An original MGB Mk. I =
tach would have had a loop in the white wire, attached to the back of =
the case with a thumb nut and a thin U-shaped brass bracket. I am not =
seeing that on yours.</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">Actually, I guess it is unclear whether you are talking about =
an MGA tach or an early MGB tach...</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""><div class=3D"">
--<br class=3D"">Max Heim<br class=3D"">'66 MGB

</div>

<div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Jul 30, 2023, at 5:22 PM, dave northrup &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><meta =
charset=3D"UTF-8" class=3D""><div class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: =
WordSection1; caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: =
none;"><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;" class=3D"">Negative ground, car runs smoothly, need to =
install the electric tach which supposedly was previously installed in =
this car and working.<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: =
0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D""><o:p =
class=3D"">&nbsp;</o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; =
font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">On the back view, what =
hooks up where?&nbsp; I am pretty sure the tab, and the screw, are =
ground.<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D""><o:p =
class=3D"">&nbsp;</o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; =
font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">The other two =E2=80=93 =
one needs to go to power and the other to the coil.&nbsp; I think one is =
a female bullet connector; the other is male.&nbsp; Which goes to power =
and which to the coil?<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div></div><span =
id=3D"cid:0E29209D-766E-429B-8731-A221A402F560">&lt;tach front =
view.jpg&gt;</span><span =
id=3D"cid:730CBBD9-8EEC-4550-A299-42A08DE3277F">&lt;tach rear =
view.jpg&gt;</span><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">_______________________________________________</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Donate:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs" style=3D"font-family: =
Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D""><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" style=3D"font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">Unsubscribe:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]" =
style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a><=
/div></blockquote></div><br class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_49108B09-04E3-48E2-800B-1E834558970B--

--===============0801744703391914196==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============0801744703391914196==--

---

From: Paul Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 08:38:26 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8981336523490488721==
 boundary="------------suyqWQEjUociPNsBe1SmdRWC"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------suyqWQEjUociPNsBe1SmdRWC
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Not an MGB reference number, it looks like it has later internals than 
but would still be the current-operated type i.e. RVI where the power to 
the coil comes via the tach.  The ignition switch would be connected to 
the male bullet and the female bullet to the coil.  12v (also from the 
ignition) to the spade and earth to the case.  When used on the MGB 
there were separate wires from the ignition switch to the spade and to 
the male bullet but you can tee from one to the other rather than 
running a separate wire.

It would have been helpful to see the top half of the dial where it 
might have shown RVI and what polarity it was.  I suspect it would show 
positive earth, but those electronics would have been used with negative 
earth in an MGB for example so it looks like it has been converted by 
swapping the guts instead of swapping the wires round internally.  If 
that tach was used after the car was converted to negative earth it 
would make sense.

PaulH.

On 31/07/2023 01:22, dave northrup wrote:
>
> Negative ground, car runs smoothly, need to install the electric tach 
> On the back view, what hooks up where?  I am pretty sure the tab, and 
> the screw, are ground.
>
> The other two – one needs to go to power and the other to the coil.  I 
> think one is a female bullet connector; the other is male.  Which goes 
> to power and which to the coil?
>
>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs  http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
--------------suyqWQEjUociPNsBe1SmdRWC
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Not an MGB reference number, it looks like it has later internals
      than but would still be the current-operated type i.e. RVI where
      the power to the coil comes via the tach.  The ignition switch
      would be connected to the male bullet and the female bullet to the
      coil.  12v (also from the ignition) to the spade and earth to the
      case.  When used on the MGB there were separate wires from the
      ignition switch to the spade and to the male bullet but you can
      tee from one to the other rather than running a separate wire.<br>
    </p>
    <p>It would have been helpful to see the top half of the dial where
      it might have shown RVI and what polarity it was.  I suspect it
      would show positive earth, but those electronics would have been
      used with negative earth in an MGB for example so it looks like it
      has been converted by swapping the guts instead of swapping the
      wires round internally.  If that tach was used after the car was
      converted to negative earth it would make sense.</p>
    <p>PaulH.<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 31/07/2023 01:22, dave northrup
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered
        medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-ligatures:standardcontextual;}span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal">Negative ground, car runs smoothly, need to
          install the electric tach which supposedly was previously
          installed in this car and working.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">On the back view, what hooks up where?  I
          am pretty sure the tab, and the screw, are ground.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">The other two – one needs to go to power
          and the other to the coil.  I think one is a female bullet
          connector; the other is male.  Which goes to power and which
          to the coil?<o:p></o:p></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------suyqWQEjUociPNsBe1SmdRWC--

--===============8981336523490488721==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8981336523490488721==--