Subject: Re: [Mgs] Salvage title

From: Steve Shoyer <[email-masked]> 7CMK9F0VTyMBNjM+aKbZxkT66nHAtvZ13D++xfKJpEMHaBKLCvrsYTB3uOfllupNFqBm+b/ EgoHwelz0PKFSXtvrUnuSi8sbs84fBUr1qXfdydeHOo5Os1leuRiNnPrzBqfkR1KOqte4X3 DjSObCSAKun0R1lybPrkA== bBWPryLf1K5d5L3ngOxPetkLBskPOHLeSYT7vEHphYbDdbOgBbsQFWA5WA/OFUUj8Tf3W6TXb 7itvtBh7CPVBsOzi6SIya7k1++unQyJ/+go3knOE1SHXqwSJJh3YSoVq2FgLo97hXdNZwus0i JzaZcw5A+G4b56hv+4unEyuJnqpTvfiLfOb6/WouVzWsnI/XzFmMgXSpTPRyFWDHBABwbmHd4 OUmYPE+zUw6ux1PhyxQEY+EaHe9kwgLEJtJzTuFlwTW4sXwwLTXaCF9flcuu1ALvI1pX15Zlv M/TMQKCJv6NYOYzX0QJ7hpb9lsYTqXfhvmgaVL7vreAXgx2dVyBl1dD0i1oP0DgouEm0Sc98L MTCamayLFw8pttyERJBWQhXtIV/+i3
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 16:03:00 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4977405919558421810==
 boundary="------------lL94VrlHsjralB7ThoE35yAf"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------lL94VrlHsjralB7ThoE35yAf
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

In Massachusetts there are two kinds of salvage titles, repairable and 
parts-only.  A repairable car can be re-registered after being repaired 
and passing a salvage inspection.  A parts-only car cannot be registered 
again in MA.  The salvage title might make the car harder to insure, or 
at least more expensive.

--Steve (1980 MGB)

On 10/1/2022 12:15 AM, Max Heim wrote:
> A salvage title definitely will hurt the value at auction. it just 
> raises the question “what happened to it?” and the answer can never be 
> good.
>
> But if you were planning to keep the car long term and don't mind 
> doing the restoration work, and are satisfied there is no irreparable 
> damage, then you might as well do it. You at least have a very good 
> idea of what it will take, more so than you would if you went and 
> bought a project car on the open market to replace it.
>
> Let your heirs figure out how to deal with the salvage title…
>
> --
> Max Heim
> '66 MGB
>
>> On Sep 30, 2022, at 6:43 PM, Robert's New iPad <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tom,
>> That’s terrible news.
>> Generally speaking, a car that burns by itself can be 
>> salvaged/recovered and can be restored.   A car that is in a garage 
>> or barn fire may have its metal annealed, changing its strength.  An 
>> engineer can explain this better, but most owners of burned cars will 
>> stay away from one that was baked.
>> One would think that the salvage title would push down the value, but 
>> I have no direct knowledge.  One of the guys in our club owns a 
>> couple of cars, not MGs, that he has bought from insurance companies, 
>> repaired and repainted them, and has had good service from them.  He 
>> is a talented and experienced fellow.
>> Do you have pictures of the car that you can share?
>> Bob
>>
>>
>>> On Sep 30, 2022, at 9:04 PM, Thomas Gunderson <[email-masked]> 
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> My MGA was in a fire. Hagerty will let me buy the car back for about 
>>> 1/3 the total payout. This will put the car as salvage. If I keep 
>>> the car and restore the car to the status it was before the fire. 
>>> How will the salvage title affect the value?
>>> Should I let them keep the car and take the money?
>>>
>>> 1957 MGA 1500 rst
>>> Tom Gunderson
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone X
--------------lL94VrlHsjralB7ThoE35yAf
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>In Massachusetts there are two kinds of salvage titles,
      repairable and parts-only.  A repairable car can be re-registered
      after being repaired and passing a salvage inspection.  A
      parts-only car cannot be registered again in MA.  The salvage
      title might make the car harder to insure, or at least more
      expensive.</p>
    <p>--Steve (1980 MGB)<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/1/2022 12:15 AM, Max Heim wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      A salvage title definitely will hurt the value at auction. it just
      raises the question “what happened to it?” and the answer can
      never be good.
      <div class=""><br class="">
      </div>
      <div class="">But if you were planning to keep the car long term
        and don't mind doing the restoration work, and are satisfied
        there is no irreparable damage, then you might as well do it.
        You at least have a very good idea of what it will take, more so
        than you would if you went and bought a project car on the open
        market to replace it.</div>
      <div class=""><br class="">
      </div>
      <div class="">Let your heirs figure out how to deal with the
        salvage title…</div>
      <div class=""><br class="">
        <div class="">
          <div style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); letter-spacing: normal;
            text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
            white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;
            -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; word-wrap: break-word;
            -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break:
            after-white-space;" class="">
            <div style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); letter-spacing: normal;
              text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
              white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;
              -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; word-wrap: break-word;
              -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break:
              after-white-space;" class="">
              <div style="margin: 0px; font-size: 13px;" class="">--</div>
              <div style="margin: 0px; font-size: 13px; min-height:
                16px;" class="">Max Heim</div>
              <div style="margin: 0px; font-size: 13px;" class="">'66
                MGB</div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
        <div><br class="">
          <blockquote type="cite" class="">
            <div class="">On Sep 30, 2022, at 6:43 PM, Robert's New iPad
              &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                class="moz-txt-link-freetext" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
              wrote:</div>
            <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
            <div class=""><span style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);
                font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style:
                normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline
                !important;" class="">Hi Tom,</span><br
                style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana;
                font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps:
                normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal;
                text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform:
                none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;
                -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"
                class="">
              <span class="Apple-tab-span" style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: pre; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;">	</span><span
                style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana;
                font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps:
                normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal;
                text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform:
                none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;
                -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;
                float: none; display: inline !important;" class="">That’s
                terrible news.</span><br style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0,
                0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style:
                normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none;" class="">
              <span class="Apple-tab-span" style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: pre; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;">	</span><span
                style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana;
                font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps:
                normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal;
                text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform:
                none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;
                -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;
                float: none; display: inline !important;" class="">Generally
                speaking, a car that burns by itself can be
                salvaged/recovered and can be restored.   A car that is
                in a garage or barn fire may have its metal annealed,
                changing its strength.  An engineer can explain this
                better, but most owners of burned cars will stay away
                from one that was baked.  </span><br style="caret-color:
                rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px;
                font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
                font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align:
                start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
                white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;
                -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"
                class="">
              <span class="Apple-tab-span" style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: pre; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;">	</span><span
                style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana;
                font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps:
                normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal;
                text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform:
                none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;
                -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;
                float: none; display: inline !important;" class="">One
                would think that the salvage title would push down the
                value, but I have no direct knowledge.  One of the guys
                in our club owns a couple of cars, not MGs, that he has
                bought from insurance companies, repaired and repainted
                them, and has had good service from them.  He is a
                talented and experienced fellow.</span><br
                style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana;
                font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps:
                normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal;
                text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform:
                none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;
                -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"
                class="">
              <span class="Apple-tab-span" style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: pre; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;">	</span><span
                style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana;
                font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps:
                normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal;
                text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform:
                none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;
                -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;
                float: none; display: inline !important;" class="">Do
                you have pictures of the car that you can share?</span><br
                style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana;
                font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps:
                normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal;
                text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform:
                none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;
                -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"
                class="">
              <span style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:
                Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline
                !important;" class="">Bob</span><br style="caret-color:
                rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px;
                font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
                font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align:
                start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
                white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;
                -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"
                class="">
              <br style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:
                Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none;" class="">
              <br style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:
                Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none;" class="">
              <blockquote type="cite" style="font-family: Verdana;
                font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps:
                normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal;
                orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px;
                text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;
                -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"
                class="">On Sep 30, 2022, at 9:04 PM, Thomas Gunderson
                &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                  class="moz-txt-link-freetext" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                wrote:<br class="">
                <br class="">
                <br class="">
                My MGA was in a fire. Hagerty will let me buy the car
                back for about 1/3 the total payout. This will put the
                car as salvage. If I keep the car and restore the car to
                the status it was before the fire. How will the salvage
                title affect the value?<br class="">
                Should I let them keep the car and take the money?<br
                  class="">
                <br class="">
                1957 MGA 1500 rst<br class="">
                Tom Gunderson<br class="">
                <br class="">
                Sent from my iPhone X</blockquote>
            </div>
          </blockquote>
        </div>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------lL94VrlHsjralB7ThoE35yAf--

--===============4977405919558421810==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============4977405919558421810==--