Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA exhaust

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 09:47:58 -0700

--===============3571496640774170383==
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body dir=3D"auto" style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;"><meta =
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><div =
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: =
after-white-space;" class=3D"">Living on the west coast, I=E2=80=99ve =
never seen a need for a stainless exhaust system. A mild steel pipe =
easily lasts 20 years, mufflers somewhat less. However, your climate may =
vary.<div class=3D""><br class=3D""><div class=3D"">
<div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); letter-spacing: normal; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;" class=3D""><div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D""><div style=3D"margin: 0px; font-size: 13px;" =
class=3D"">--</div><div style=3D"margin: 0px; font-size: 13px; =
min-height: 16px;" class=3D"">Max Heim</div><div style=3D"margin: 0px; =
font-size: 13px;" class=3D"">'66 MGB</div></div></div>
</div>

<div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Sep 10, 2022, at 7:48 PM, <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"=
 class=3D"">[email-masked]</a> wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><font face=3D"times =
new roman" size=3D"4" style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; =
white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><div style=3D"margin: 0px; padding: =
0px; font-family: &quot;times new roman&quot;; font-size: 14pt; =
overflow-wrap: break-word;" class=3D"">I installed an MGB engine in an =
MGA back in 1969.&nbsp; What I discovered was that the stock MGB exhaust =
manifold being dual pipes would hit the steering shaft, so I used the =
stock cast iron MGA exhaust manifold.&nbsp; And used all the stock MGA =
exhaust as it was already in place.&nbsp;</div><p style=3D"margin: 0px; =
padding: 0px; font-family: &quot;times new roman&quot;; font-size: 14pt; =
overflow-wrap: break-word;" class=3D"">&nbsp;</p><div style=3D"margin: =
0px; padding: 0px; font-family: &quot;times new roman&quot;; font-size: =
14pt; overflow-wrap: break-word;" class=3D"">I don't recommend using a =
non-stock header on an MGA or MGB as they allow more heat to escape, and =
the carbs are on the same side of the engine as the exhaust.&nbsp; On =
hot days, in traffic, a header can add a lot of extra&nbsp; heat to the =
engine compartment, which is the last thing you need.<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></div><p style=3D"margin: =
0px; padding: 0px; font-family: &quot;times new roman&quot;; font-size: =
14pt; overflow-wrap: break-word;" class=3D"">&nbsp;</p><div =
style=3D"margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: &quot;times new =
roman&quot;; font-size: 14pt; overflow-wrap: break-word;" =
class=3D"">Stainless steel exhaust does create noise that some people =
say is not pleasant.&nbsp; When I bought a new exhaust system for my '65 =
MGB I bought a mild steel one from Rimmer in the UK.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><p =
style=3D"margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: &quot;times new =
roman&quot;; font-size: 14pt; overflow-wrap: break-word;" =
class=3D"">&nbsp;</p><p style=3D"margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: =
&quot;times new roman&quot;; font-size: 14pt; overflow-wrap: =
break-word;" class=3D"">&nbsp;</p><div style=3D"margin: 0px; padding: =
0px; font-family: &quot;times new roman&quot;; font-size: 14pt; =
overflow-wrap: break-word;" class=3D"">-----Original Message-----<br =
class=3D"">From: "dave northrup" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br class=3D"">Sent: Saturday, =
September 10, 2022 1:22pm<br class=3D"">To: "<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>" =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br class=3D"">Subject: [Mgs] MGA =
exhaust<br class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
id=3D"SafeStyles1662863907" class=3D""><div class=3D"WordSection1" =
style=3D"page: WordSection1;"><div style=3D"margin: 0px; font-size: =
14pt; font-family: &quot;times new roman&quot;; padding: 0px; =
overflow-wrap: break-word;" class=3D"">I recently acquired a 59 MGA with =
an MGB engine.&nbsp; The exhaust pipe and muffler need to be =
replaced.</div><p class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin: 0px; font-size: =
14pt; font-family: &quot;times new roman&quot;; padding: 0px; =
overflow-wrap: break-word;">&nbsp;</p><div style=3D"margin: 0px; =
font-size: 14pt; font-family: &quot;times new roman&quot;; padding: 0px; =
overflow-wrap: break-word;" class=3D"">Not sure how to tell if it has an =
mga exhaust manifold or an mgb manifold or how to tell the =
difference.</div><p class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin: 0px; font-size: =
14pt; font-family: &quot;times new roman&quot;; padding: 0px; =
overflow-wrap: break-word;">&nbsp;</p><div style=3D"margin: 0px; =
font-size: 14pt; font-family: &quot;times new roman&quot;; padding: 0px; =
overflow-wrap: break-word;" class=3D"">I found an MGA stainless steel =
exhaust pipe and muffler at a really good price.&nbsp; Will if =
fit?</div></div></div><p style=3D"margin: 0px; padding: 0px; =
font-family: &quot;times new roman&quot;; font-size: 14pt; =
overflow-wrap: break-word;" class=3D"">&nbsp;</p></font><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">_______________________________________________</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Donate:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs" style=3D"font-family: =
Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D""><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" style=3D"font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">Unsubscribe:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]" =
style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a><=
/div></blockquote></div><br class=3D""></div></div></body></html>=

--===============3571496640774170383==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============3571496640774170383==--