Subject: Re: [Mgs] 80B, melted white-green wire from ignition switch

From: PaulHunt73 <[email-masked]> aoyH6RG2y9cTy2P2VR8ozaWO/HxGahGJlAd7ozFIO3Pg07vHjJBZJntFscD7zAnKy79/w0iwBtC6CaTAXVKwPA12yY8hkqjeFJg=
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 08:22:12 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2083272030425692844==
 boundary="------------VeOluzuRYi4QYedhX08MCuGZ"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------VeOluzuRYi4QYedhX08MCuGZ
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

A bad engine/gearbox earth strap will cause the heater, choke and 
accelerator cables to get hot but not 'fry' them in the same way that 
electrical wires do when they short, and it won't cause the heater cable 
to become disconnected.   In theory the temp gauge capillary would be 
affected as well but I've never heard of it. You would be unlucky for a 
disconnected heater cable to cause a short, most electrical connections 
should be protected as there are a lot more earthed metal parts behind 
the dash than just that cable.  I often see the backs of bullets 
sticking out of the connector sheath because they haven't been pushed 
home properly, but the plastic sheaths on the connectors available today 
slide and can expose even correctly fitted bullets, unlike the rubber 
sheaths on originals.  I did hear of someone blowing a braided clutch 
hose when the earth strap failed.  They had been aware of slow cranking 
for a while but didn't investigate it properly ...

As someone once said "Listen to your car, it is talking to you." I.e. 
get used to how you car sounds, feels, looks, smells  and investigate 
any changes BEFORE you get a breakdown.

PaulH.

On 31/05/2022 21:06, Robert's New iPad wrote:
> 	Fried heater cable is usually because the earth strap(s) from engine to body are not conducting properly.
> 	I have two on my GT, and check their fasteners a couple of times each year.
> Bob
>
--------------VeOluzuRYi4QYedhX08MCuGZ
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>A bad engine/gearbox earth strap will cause the heater, choke and
      accelerator cables to get hot but not 'fry' them in the same way
      that electrical wires do when they short, and it won't cause the
      heater cable to become disconnected.   In theory the temp gauge
      capillary would be affected as well but I've never heard of it. 
      You would be unlucky for a disconnected heater cable to cause a
      short, most electrical connections should be protected as there
      are a lot more earthed metal parts behind the dash than just that
      cable.  I often see the backs of bullets sticking out of the
      connector sheath because they haven't been pushed home properly,
      but the plastic sheaths on the connectors available today slide
      and can expose even correctly fitted bullets, unlike the rubber
      sheaths on originals.  I did hear of someone blowing a braided
      clutch hose when the earth strap failed.  They had been aware of
      slow cranking for a while but didn't investigate it properly ...</p>
    <p>As someone once said "Listen to your car, it is talking to you." 
      I.e. get used to how you car sounds, feels, looks, smells  and
      investigate any changes BEFORE you get a breakdown.</p>
    <p>PaulH.<br>
      <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: &quot;Times New
        Roman&quot;; font-size: large; font-style: normal;
        font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
        font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
        white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;
        -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-thickness:
        initial; text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color:
        initial; display: inline !important; float: none;"></span></p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 31/05/2022 21:06, Robert's New iPad
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">	Fried heater cable is usually because the earth strap(s) from engine to body are not conducting properly.
	I have two on my GT, and check their fasteners a couple of times each year.
Bob
</pre>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------VeOluzuRYi4QYedhX08MCuGZ--

--===============2083272030425692844==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============2083272030425692844==--