Subject: Re: [Mgs] Turn signal flasher

From: dave northrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 20:50:11 +0000

--===============2536936759660587521==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_dd4269e79ad842738dff1839c2a90792ranteercom_"

--_000_dd4269e79ad842738dff1839c2a90792ranteercom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_dd4269e79ad842738dff1839c2a90792ranteercom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_dd4269e79ad842738dff1839c2a90792ranteercom_--

--===============2536936759660587521==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============2536936759660587521==--

---

From: Robert's New iPad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:02:11 -0400

Yes.
	Locate your original and determine if its two-wire or three-wire.  
	Some originals were rectangular, but they are all interchangeable if the wire count is the same.
Bob

> On Apr 15, 2022, at 4:23 PM, Michael MacLean <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Is there a generic turn signal flasher unit for my 69 MGB GT?
> Mike MacLean
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> 
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 14:08:54 -0700

--===============7947517317494617895==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_BBAA0FF3-B77B-4A51-B600-67215A79C3EA"

--Apple-Mail=_BBAA0FF3-B77B-4A51-B600-67215A79C3EA
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

They are interchangeable either way, with a little effort. The 2-wire =
ones ground through the housing =E2=80=94 the 3-wire ones have a ground =
wire, that can easily be added if not present.

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB

> On Apr 15, 2022, at 2:02 PM, Robert's New iPad <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
> 	Yes.
> 	Locate your original and determine if its two-wire or =
three-wire. =20
> 	Some originals were rectangular, but they are all =
interchangeable if the wire count is the same.
> Bob
>=20
>=20
>> On Apr 15, 2022, at 4:23 PM, Michael MacLean =
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>>=20

--Apple-Mail=_BBAA0FF3-B77B-4A51-B600-67215A79C3EA
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">They =
are interchangeable either way, with a little effort. The 2-wire ones =
ground through the housing =E2=80=94 the 3-wire ones have a ground wire, =
that can easily be added if not present.<div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><div class=3D"">
<div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); letter-spacing: normal; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;" class=3D""><div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D""><div style=3D"margin: 0px; font-size: 13px;" =
class=3D"">--</div><div style=3D"margin: 0px; font-size: 13px; =
min-height: 16px;" class=3D"">Max Heim</div><div style=3D"margin: 0px; =
font-size: 13px;" class=3D"">'66 MGB</div></div></div>
</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div>

<div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Apr 15, 2022, at 2:02 PM, Robert's New iPad &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><div =
class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"white-space:pre">	=
</span>Yes.<br class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-tab-span" =
style=3D"white-space:pre">	</span>Locate your original and =
determine if its two-wire or three-wire. &nbsp;<br class=3D""><span =
class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"white-space:pre">	</span>Some =
originals were rectangular, but they are all interchangeable if the wire =
count is the same.<br class=3D"">Bob<br class=3D""><br class=3D""><br =
class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D"">On Apr 15, 2022, at 4:23 =
PM, Michael MacLean &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br class=3D""><br =
class=3D"">Is there a generic turn signal flasher unit for my 69 MGB =
GT?<br class=3D"">Mike MacLean<br =
class=3D""></blockquote></div></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_BBAA0FF3-B77B-4A51-B600-67215A79C3EA--

--===============7947517317494617895==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7947517317494617895==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 <[email-masked]> 4xlou2MBudrZ8AQG8/WLBpPfBdBG3BxwDb5IO+dv8JWvzzfaY8ONDJ2186NT2VcH5vB8RAzBBsSogIl/rVU3smiSTiOiugfT3q8=
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 09:24:45 +0100

The original 2-wire flasher units do not ground, they operate in series 
with the lamps.  The early 3-wire units don't ground either, the third 
terminal is for the dash tell-tales.  Only the later OEM 3-wire 
electronic units have a ground wire.  The apparent benefit of those 
3-wire is that they don't slow down as system voltage falls and 
connection resistances rise, which is why many fit them.  However both 
those problems are contributing to dim lamps, which is still the case 
with the 3-pin flasher units, fix the faults instead.

But this is a mine-field, many people confuse them with hazard flashers 
which are also 2-wire and 3-wire.  Hazard flashers will appear to work 
when used as a turn signal flasher but there is a delay after operating 
the switch before the lamps light, which is ... a hazard, as is not 
warning you when a corner bulb has failed, which both the original 2-pin 
and the later electronic 3-pin do. LED flasher lamps fall into the same 
category.

There are also modern cube-type 'universal' flasher units (they re not 
'digital' any more than the others are) and most of those should be 
avoided, some so-called LED flasher units need at least one filament 
bulb to work.

PaulH.

On 15/04/2022 22:08, Max Heim wrote:

They are interchangeable either way, with a little effort. The 2-wire 
ones ground through the housing — the 3-wire ones have a ground wire, 
that can easily be added if not present.

[email-masked]