Subject: [Mgs] Carb Bank Interchangeability

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 15:32:55 +0000 (UTC)

--===============0174428258737774539==
	boundary="----=_Part_130719_1879594694.1636731175866"

------=_Part_130719_1879594694.1636731175866
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have a 1972 MGB with HIF carbs & a 1968 BGT with HS4s newly purchased.=C2=
=A0 It appears the intake manifolds are the same.=C2=A0 Can I just switch t=
he carb banks?
The BGT needs a clutch, so I want to put the new HS4s on the car that is ru=
nning.
Thanks,Steve HughesArcher, FL

------=_Part_130719_1879594694.1636731175866
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<div style="color:black;font: 12pt Courier New, Courier, mono;">I have a 1972 MGB with HIF carbs &amp; a 1968 BGT with HS4s newly purchased.&nbsp; It appears the intake manifolds are the same.&nbsp; Can I just switch the carb banks?
<div><br>
</div>

<div>The BGT needs a clutch, so I want to put the new HS4s on the car that is running.</div>

<div><br>
</div>

<div>Thanks,</div>

<div>Steve Hughes</div>

<div>Archer, FL<br>

<div><br>
</div>

<div><br>

<div><br>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

------=_Part_130719_1879594694.1636731175866--

--===============0174428258737774539==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============0174428258737774539==--

---

From: David Councill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 12:58:54 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5486279140464434542==
 boundary="------------2FF9AF52F6F3C2A4965294C6"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------2FF9AF52F6F3C2A4965294C6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Yes - I did that switch on my 72B. Mostly because I had a decent rebuilt 
set from a 71BGT to use and I am very familiar with the HS4s and no 
experience with the HIF carbs. I did use the HIF carbs for at least a 
few months or so before removal  and they did seem to have some 
advantages, in particular in cold weather starting as I recall.

Now that I have several MGs (67BGT, 72B, 64B), I am giving some thought 
to putting the HIFs back in the 72B this winter, granted I am also 
currently rebuilding the 67BGT.

David Councill

On 11/12/2021 7:32 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> I have a 1972 MGB with HIF carbs & a 1968 BGT with HS4s newly 
> purchased.  It appears the intake manifolds are the same.  Can I just 
> switch the carb banks?
>
> The BGT needs a clutch, so I want to put the new HS4s on the car that 
> is running.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Hughes
> Archer, FL
>

--------------2FF9AF52F6F3C2A4965294C6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Yes - I did that switch on my 72B. Mostly because I had a decent
      rebuilt set from a 71BGT to use and I am very familiar with the
      HS4s and no experience with the HIF carbs. I did use the HIF carbs
      for at least a few months or so before removal  and they did seem
      to have some advantages, in particular in cold weather starting as
      I recall. <br>
    </p>
    <p>Now that I have several MGs (67BGT, 72B, 64B), I am giving some
      thought to putting the HIFs back in the 72B this winter, granted I
      am also currently rebuilding the 67BGT.</p>
    <p>David Councill<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/12/2021 7:32 AM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div style="color:black;font: 12pt Courier New, Courier, mono;">I
        have a 1972 MGB with HIF carbs &amp; a 1968 BGT with HS4s newly
        purchased.  It appears the intake manifolds are the same.  Can I
        just switch the carb banks?
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>The BGT needs a clutch, so I want to put the new HS4s on
          the car that is running.</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Thanks,</div>
        <div>Steve Hughes</div>
        <div>Archer, FL<br>
          <div><br>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------2FF9AF52F6F3C2A4965294C6--

--===============5486279140464434542==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5486279140464434542==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 <[email-masked]> LoBrISSnTjHnYh6ief8spo2rwC2/3w/NFvzeR3Lud3f0rDYJ27KlJrBLXsGvS1J63FVT2gcRxP6hDT4S/tPaYkMHcr/vgtuzFNkqvl5im1JoSB+Q1p16kK+Y
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 08:50:03 +0000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============1380171961777108979==
 boundary="------------FX35wJYXRzWy4Wy3GO3RlRk6"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------FX35wJYXRzWy4Wy3GO3RlRk6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Probably, but the fuel supply, choke and throttle controls are 
different.  The air cleaner mounting is as well but they can move with 
the carbs.

PaulH.

>> The BGT needs a clutch, so I want to put the new HS4s on the car that 
--------------FX35wJYXRzWy4Wy3GO3RlRk6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Probably, but the fuel supply, choke and throttle controls are
      different.  The air cleaner mounting is as well but they can move
      with the carbs.</p>
    <p>PaulH.<br>
    </p>
    On 11/12/2021 7:32 AM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated
      moz-txt-link-freetext" href="mailto:[email-masked]"
      moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a> wrote:<br>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <blockquote type="cite"
        cite="mid:[email-masked]">
        <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
          charset=UTF-8">
        <div style="color:black;font: 12pt Courier New, Courier, mono;">I
          have a 1972 MGB with HIF carbs &amp; a 1968 BGT with HS4s
          newly purchased.  It appears the intake manifolds are the
          same.  Can I just switch the carb banks?
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>The BGT needs a clutch, so I want to put the new HS4s on
            the car that is running.</div>
        </div>
      </blockquote>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>
--------------FX35wJYXRzWy4Wy3GO3RlRk6--

--===============1380171961777108979==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1380171961777108979==--