Subject: Re: [Mgs] Radios

From: "dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 16:11:14 -0500

(Oops.  Should not have had someones name on it)

My friend has an early 60's right hand drive MG 4 door sedan.  It has a radio in it, but only the light comes on.  no sound, static, or anything.

It looks like it’s an Ekco Type 1901.  It power unit is separate from the radio head.  I’m guessing the speaker connects to the power unit?

I don’t think it’s an AM radio.  The frequency dial runs from 200-2000.   I did happen to find a website that shows it’s a radio that was new in 1961.  Only 31 pounds!

http://antique-autoradio-madness.org/Ecko/Ekco-1960_1.htm

did the UK have a different set of bandwidths than the US?

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Robert's New iPad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 17:41:59 -0400

UK did have different radio frequencies, and their TV screen has a different count of lines/pixels or something.  
   In Hemmings Motor News he may find adverts for US companies that will put US guts into the radio, should he want it to receive here.  
   For many years I had a Motorola that looked similar. When it died, I took it to a guy who has brought back to life my 1960s KLH 21 and my 1972 MGB British Leyland (actually Motorola, dealer-installed) radios. 
Bob

> On Oct 4, 2021, at 5:05 PM, dave <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Jon -
> 
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 08:33:27 +0200

200 - 2000 looks to me as MW = Medium Wave band.
That was in the early times the most common radio wave band on car radios as I can remember. (I'm from 54)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EKCO 
Your pushbutton model appears to be a luxury model.
Ecko radios appear to be a typical English marketed product. Unknown in the Netherlands.

Hope you can find someone who can help.

Cheers,
Hans
71 BGT

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Mgs <[email-masked]> Namens dave
Verzonden: maandag 4 oktober 2021 23:11
Aan: [email-masked]
Onderwerp: Re: [Mgs] Radios

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

-- 
Dit e-mailbericht is gecontroleerd op virussen met Avast antivirussoftware.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

[email-masked]

---

From: Steve West-Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 07:57:02 -0400

On 04.10.2021 17:05, dave wrote:
> Jon -
> 
> My friend has an early 60's right hand drive MG 4 door sedan.  It has
> a radio in it, but only the light comes on.  no sound, static, or
> anything.
> 
> It looks like it’s an Ekco Type 1901.  It power unit is separate from
> the radio head.  I’m guessing the speaker connects to the power unit?
> 

That is probably a CR1901. Yes, the frequencies were different -they had 
MW - Medium Wave and LW - Long Wave. The dial is in kHz. I had an Aunt 
and Uncle who brought back an MG from Germany that had a similar radio. 
You could pick up the US AM band on MW, the LW band wouldn't have 
broadcasting in the US but you might be able to pick up some signals. 
Not sure if longwave is still used in Europe/UK or not for broadcasting.

-- 
Steve West-Fisher
N4IK

[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 05:17:40 -0500

--===============4144932737213779245==

--0000000000008782bb05cdac7590

> ...the LW band wouldn't have
broadcasting in the US
> ... you might be able to pick up some LW band] signals.
>
> Steve West-Fisher
> N4IK

...especially at night, if any entity is still using the LW band. Wiki
says, "*The frequency for longwave range from 30KHz to 279 KHz , covering a
median wavelength of 150 meters.*" That's really low frequency.
   The antenna in one's mobile phone is only a few millimeters long, or if
a tuned dipole, 3"-6" depending upon the mobile phone band being used.
Broadcast FM radio dipole antennas tune at about 4 feet long. We've all
seen those kinds of antennas in some cars' windshield glass. A dipole
antenna for 30KHz, the very bottom of the LW band, is 15,600 feet long!

Rick
WD4KIB

--0000000000008782bb05cdac7590
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">&gt; ...the LW band wouldn&#39;t have<div dir=3D"auto">br=
oadcasting in the US</div><div dir=3D"auto">&gt; ... you might be able to p=
ick up some LW band] signals.</div><div dir=3D"auto">&gt;</div><div dir=3D"=
auto">&gt; Steve West-Fisher</div><div dir=3D"auto">&gt; N4IK</div><div dir=
=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">...especially at night, if any entity=
 is still using the LW band. Wiki says, &quot;<i>The frequency for longwave=
 range from 30KHz to 279 KHz , covering a median wavelength of 150 meters.<=
/i>&quot; That&#39;s really low frequency.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =
=C2=A0The antenna in one&#39;s mobile phone is only a few millimeters long,=
 or if a tuned dipole, 3&quot;-6&quot; depending upon the mobile phone band=
 being used. Broadcast FM radio dipole antennas tune at about 4 feet long. =
We&#39;ve all seen those kinds of antennas in some cars&#39; windshield gla=
ss. A dipole antenna for 30KHz, the very bottom of the LW band, is 15,600 f=
eet long!=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">Rick</di=
v><div dir=3D"auto">WD4KIB</div></div>

--0000000000008782bb05cdac7590--

--===============4144932737213779245==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4144932737213779245==--

---

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 06:04:09 -0500

--===============1611786419253639894==

--000000000000c2ae5b05cdad1be6

Yes friends, my words copied below are all but totally useless in this
circle of MG people, but sometimes talk of radios, frequencies and antennas
overcomes ham radio guys like me and we spew mostly useless and irrelevant
information. Please forgive.

Rick WD4KIB, General Class ...and two MGs

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021, 5:17 AM Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> says, "*The frequency for longwave range from 30KHz to 279 KHz , covering
> a median wavelength of 150 meters.*" That's really low frequency.

--000000000000c2ae5b05cdad1be6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto"><div>Yes friends, my words copied below are all but total=
ly useless in this circle of MG people, but sometimes talk of radios, frequ=
encies and antennas overcomes ham radio guys like me and we spew mostly use=
less and irrelevant information. Please forgive.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br=
></div><div dir=3D"auto">Rick WD4KIB, General Class ...and two MGs</div><di=
v dir=3D"auto"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote" dir=3D"auto"><div dir=3D"ltr"=
 class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Oct 6, 2021, 5:17 AM Richard Lindsay &lt;<a h=
ref=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8e=
x;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"auto">&gt; ...th=
e LW band wouldn&#39;t have<div dir=3D"auto">broadcasting in the US</div><d=
iv dir=3D"auto">&gt; ... you might be able to pick up some LW band] signals=
.</div><div dir=3D"auto">&gt;</div><div dir=3D"auto">&gt; Steve West-Fisher=
</div><div dir=3D"auto">&gt; N4IK</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=
=3D"auto">...especially at night, if any entity is still using the LW band.=
 Wiki says, &quot;<i>The frequency for longwave range from 30KHz to 279 KHz=
 , covering a median wavelength of 150 meters.</i>&quot; That&#39;s really =
low frequency.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0The antenna in one&#39;s=
 mobile phone is only a few millimeters long, or if a tuned dipole, 3&quot;=
-6&quot; depending upon the mobile phone band being used. Broadcast FM radi=
o dipole antennas tune at about 4 feet long. We&#39;ve all seen those kinds=
 of antennas in some cars&#39; windshield glass. A dipole antenna for 30KHz=
, the very bottom of the LW band, is 15,600 feet long!=C2=A0</div><div dir=
=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">Rick</div><div dir=3D"auto">WD4KIB</d=
iv></div>
</blockquote></div></div></div>

--000000000000c2ae5b05cdad1be6--

--===============1611786419253639894==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1611786419253639894==--

---

From: Robert's New iPad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 07:52:01 -0400

--===============8323076913741013223==
	boundary=Apple-Mail-4431FB5E-7090-4581-8F67-410796C62BB5
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-4431FB5E-7090-4581-8F67-410796C62BB5
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

   Not at all useless, Rick.
   I have long wondered why the antennae in Annapolis MD, on the point south=
 of Naval Academy,  were so long, and your 15,600 ft measure explains it.=20=

Bob

> On Oct 6, 2021, at 7:04 AM, Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]> wr=
ote:
>=20
> Yes friends, my words copied below are all but totally useless in this cir=
cle of MG people, but sometimes talk of radios, frequencies and antennas ove=
rcomes ham radio guys like me and we spew mostly useless and irrelevant info=
rmation. Please forgive.
>=20
>=20
>> On Wed, Oct 6, 2021, 5:17 AM Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]> w=
rote:
>>=20
>> ...especially at night, if any entity is still using the LW band. Wiki sa=
ys, "The frequency for longwave range from 30KHz to 279 KHz , covering a med=
ian wavelength of 150 meters." That's really low frequency.
>>    The antenna in one's mobile phone is only a few millimeters long, or i=
f a tuned dipole, 3"-6" depending upon the mobile phone band being used. Bro=
adcast FM radio dipole antennas tune at about 4 feet long. We've all seen th=
ose kinds of antennas in some cars' windshield glass. A dipole antenna for 3=
0KHz, the very bottom of the LW band, is 15,600 feet long!=20
>>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-4431FB5E-7090-4581-8F67-410796C62BB5
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto"><div dir=3D"ltr"></div><div dir=3D"ltr">&nb=
sp; &nbsp;Not at all useless, Rick.</div><div dir=3D"ltr">&nbsp; &nbsp;I hav=
e long wondered why the antennae in Annapolis MD, on the point south of Nava=
l Academy, &nbsp;were so long, and your 15,600 ft measure explains it.&nbsp;=
</div><div dir=3D"ltr">Bob</div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">=
<br>On Oct 6, 2021, at 7:04 AM, Richard Lindsay &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:richar=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><=
blockquote type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div dir=3D"auto"><div>Yes friends=
, my words copied below are all but totally useless in this circle of MG peo=
ple, but sometimes talk of radios, frequencies and antennas overcomes ham ra=
dio guys like me and we spew mostly useless and irrelevant information. Plea=
se forgive.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">Rick WD4KIB, G=
eneral Class ...and two MGs</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br><div class=3D"gmail_q=
uote" dir=3D"auto"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Oct 6, 2021=
, 5:17 AM Richard Lindsay &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">r=
[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_=
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1e=
x"><div dir=3D"auto">&gt; ...the LW band wouldn't have<div dir=3D"auto">broa=
dcasting in the US</div><div dir=3D"auto">&gt; ... you might be able to pick=
 up some LW band] signals.</div><div dir=3D"auto">&gt;</div><div dir=3D"auto=
">&gt; Steve West-Fisher</div><div dir=3D"auto">&gt; N4IK</div><div dir=3D"a=
uto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">...especially at night, if any entity is st=
ill using the LW band. Wiki says, "<i>The frequency for longwave range from 3=
0KHz to 279 KHz , covering a median wavelength of 150 meters.</i>" That's re=
ally low frequency.</div><div dir=3D"auto">&nbsp; &nbsp;The antenna in one's=
 mobile phone is only a few millimeters long, or if a tuned dipole, 3"-6" de=
pending upon the mobile phone band being used. Broadcast FM radio dipole ant=
ennas tune at about 4 feet long. We've all seen those kinds of antennas in s=
ome cars' windshield glass. A dipole antenna for 30KHz, the very bottom of t=
he LW band, is 15,600 feet long!&nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div=
 dir=3D"auto">Rick</div><div dir=3D"auto">WD4KIB</div></div>
</blockquote></div></div></div>
</div></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr"><span>________=
_______________________________________</span><br><span></span><br><span><a h=
ref=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a></span><br><span>Don=
ate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.=
html</a></span><br><span>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75</span><br><s=
pan></span><br><span>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs">=
http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archi=
ve">http://autox.team.net/archive</a></span><br><span></span><br><span>Unsub=
scribe: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]=
m">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a></span><br>=
</div></blockquote></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-4431FB5E-7090-4581-8F67-410796C62BB5--

--===============8323076913741013223==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8323076913741013223==--

---

From: David Ambrose <[email-masked]> cLuJfU4wcgGDmInVlAodAnkHHJvojebM9z2WTTp4jWSbZ77SDMUyfRIkBllTBVReIeBC6faIGUUKZw==
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 09:33:03 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8244449411308203695==
 boundary="------------eZ9v7JIXb0nnbnhKruhmg3E4"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------eZ9v7JIXb0nnbnhKruhmg3E4
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Not totally useless. I understood them. I'm not a ham, but I did a lot 
of shortwave listening as a youth.

On 10/6/2021 4:04 AM, Richard Lindsay wrote:
> circle of MG people, but sometimes talk of radios, frequencies and 
> antennas overcomes ham radio guys like me and we spew mostly useless 
> and irrelevant information. Please forgive.
>
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2021, 5:17 AM Richard Lindsay 
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>     ...especially at night, if any entity is still using the LW band.
>     Wiki says, "/The frequency for longwave range from 30KHz to 279
>     KHz , covering a median wavelength of 150 meters./" That's really
>     low frequency.
>        The antenna in one's mobile phone is only a few millimeters
>     long, or if a tuned dipole, 3"-6" depending upon the mobile phone
>     band being used. Broadcast FM radio dipole antennas tune at about
>     4 feet long. We've all seen those kinds of antennas in some cars'
>     windshield glass. A dipole antenna for 30KHz, the very bottom of
>     the LW band, is 15,600 feet long!
>
>     Rick
>     WD4KIB
>
>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs  http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
--------------eZ9v7JIXb0nnbnhKruhmg3E4
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Not totally useless. I understood them. I'm not a ham, but I did
      a lot of shortwave listening as a youth. <br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/6/2021 4:04 AM, Richard Lindsay
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="auto">
        <div>Yes friends, my words copied below are all but totally
          useless in this circle of MG people, but sometimes talk of
          radios, frequencies and antennas overcomes ham radio guys like
          me and we spew mostly useless and irrelevant information.
          Please forgive.</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">Rick WD4KIB, General Class ...and two MGs</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
          <div class="gmail_quote" dir="auto">
            <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Wed, Oct 6, 2021, 5:17
              AM Richard Lindsay &lt;<a
                href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
              wrote:<br>
            </div>
            <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0
              .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
              <div dir="auto">&gt; ...the LW band wouldn't have
                <div dir="auto">broadcasting in the US</div>
                <div dir="auto">&gt; ... you might be able to pick up
                  some LW band] signals.</div>
                <div dir="auto">&gt;</div>
                <div dir="auto">&gt; Steve West-Fisher</div>
                <div dir="auto">&gt; N4IK</div>
                <div dir="auto"><br>
                </div>
                <div dir="auto">...especially at night, if any entity is
                  still using the LW band. Wiki says, "<i>The frequency
                    for longwave range from 30KHz to 279 KHz , covering
                    a median wavelength of 150 meters.</i>" That's
                  really low frequency.</div>
                <div dir="auto">   The antenna in one's mobile phone is
                  only a few millimeters long, or if a tuned dipole,
                  3"-6" depending upon the mobile phone band being used.
                  Broadcast FM radio dipole antennas tune at about 4
                  feet long. We've all seen those kinds of antennas in
                  some cars' windshield glass. A dipole antenna for
                  30KHz, the very bottom of the LW band, is 15,600 feet
                  long! </div>
                <div dir="auto"><br>
                </div>
                <div dir="auto">Rick</div>
                <div dir="auto">WD4KIB</div>
              </div>
            </blockquote>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>
--------------eZ9v7JIXb0nnbnhKruhmg3E4--

--===============8244449411308203695==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8244449411308203695==--

---

From: Simon Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 10:06:26 -0700

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 5:00 AM Robert's New iPad <[email-masked]> wrote:
>    I have long wondered why the antennae in Annapolis MD, on the point south of Naval Academy,  were so long, and your 15,600 ft measure explains it.

Submarine communications.

Simon

[email-masked]