Subject: [Mgs] Suspicious noise

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 13:28:03 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============6108879922288347060==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0038_01D794FE.09E92F80"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01D794FE.09E92F80
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I have an 80 MGB Rover V8 with a BW T35 automatic. The car recently started
producing a knocking noise when in motion (forward or reverse) and I can't
find its source. It has been sitting on blocks for a couple of years but
started every month and allowed to reach running temperature. The
transmission was also exercised during this monthly startup and appears to
be working as it should. The front wheels turned freely before the car was
put on blocks but now are difficult to spin over as though the bearings
might be too tight. Breaks work fine.

With the car on front & rear jack stands the noise isn't there. With the
front wheels on the ground and the rear on stands and transmission engaged,
the noise also isn't there so one could assume the drive train isn't the
root cause on my noise. My suspicion is that it is somewhere in the front
axles but visual inspection hasn't produced any clues. 

Needless to say, I am perplexed. Any thoughts or suggestion you may have are
greatly appreciated.

Jim Ray
Hartwell, Georgia

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01D794FE.09E92F80
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>I have an 80 =
MGB Rover V8 with a BW T35 automatic. The car recently started producing =
a knocking noise when in motion (forward or reverse) and I can&#8217;t =
find its source. It has been sitting on blocks for a couple of years but =
started every month and allowed to reach running temperature. The =
transmission was also exercised during this monthly startup and appears =
to be working as it should. The front wheels turned freely before the =
car was put on blocks but now are difficult to spin over as though the =
bearings might be too tight. Breaks work fine.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>With the car =
on front &amp; rear jack stands the noise isn&#8217;t there. With the =
front wheels on the ground and the rear on stands and transmission =
engaged, the noise also isn&#8217;t there so one could assume the drive =
train isn&#8217;t the root cause on my noise. My suspicion is that it is =
somewhere in the front axles but visual inspection hasn&#8217;t produced =
any clues. <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Needless to =
say, I am perplexed. Any thoughts or suggestion you may have are greatly =
appreciated.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Jim =
Ray<br>Hartwell, Georgia<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01D794FE.09E92F80--

--===============6108879922288347060==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============6108879922288347060==--