Subject: Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 167, Issue 3

From: Mogrits <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 23:11:01 -0400

--===============9044601344443263485==

--00000000000079ba6405bf6d6639

>
> > Of course, there is a chicken/egg problem with public charging stations.
> > No one wants to spend a lot of money installing public charging stations
> > until there are a lot of EVs to use them. Conversely, many buyers are
> > reluctant to buy an EV because there are not many public charging
> stations.
> > That is why one of the features of the proposed infrastructure bill now
> > being debated in Congress includes funding to build charging stations.
>
>
Can someone explain for me this concept of a "public charging station"? The
ones I've seen in my town, available to the public, do not appear to have
card swipes or coin slots. Are these "public charging stations" free?
(Regardless of your answer, they are not "free"). So how long can the
taxpayers afford to pay for peoples "gas money"? If the government is
building charging stations, are they now in direct competition with gas
station owners? Is this a good thing? In most States, only authorized
Utility companies can legally sell electricity. If the States decide to
"charge to charge", or if charging stations got privatized, are the
charging station owners selling anything at their "pumps" other than
electricity and is this legal? Will the Utility companies end up owning the
"gas pumps" at these private stations and will there be competition from
street corner to street corner for lowest $/kwh or will people have to buy
their gas from a monopoly which is what electric companies are?

None of this has been well thought out, and it will have major
repercussions. Power generators will need ever more coal and natural gas
while domestic sources have been bankrupted and shut down. The environment
will suffer overall, both in CO2 (not that there's anything wrong with CO2)
but most especially, the additional global mess that will happen from
lithium and coal mining and petroleum extraction in countries with less
controls than we have here in the US. A lot of people will get rich off the
back of US taxpayers, but the "environment" will only get worse.

Warren

--00000000000079ba6405bf6d6639
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quot=
e" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204)=
;padding-left:1ex">&gt; Of course, there is a chicken/egg problem with publ=
ic charging stations.<br>
&gt; No one wants to spend a lot of money installing public charging statio=
ns<br>
&gt; until there are a lot of EVs to use them. Conversely, many buyers are<=
br>
&gt; reluctant to buy an EV because there are not many public charging stat=
ions.<br>
&gt; That is why one of the features of the proposed infrastructure bill no=
w<br>
&gt; being debated in Congress includes funding to build charging stations.=
<br><br></blockquote><div><br></div><div>Can someone explain for me this co=
ncept of a &quot;public charging station&quot;? The ones I&#39;ve seen in m=
y town, available to the public, do not appear to have card swipes or coin =
slots. Are these &quot;public charging stations&quot; free? (Regardless of =
your answer, they are not &quot;free&quot;). So how long can the taxpayers =
afford to pay for peoples &quot;gas money&quot;? If the government is build=
ing charging stations, are they now in direct competition with gas station =
owners? Is this a good thing? In most States, only authorized Utility compa=
nies can legally sell electricity. If the States decide to &quot;charge to =
charge&quot;, or if charging stations got privatized, are the charging stat=
ion owners selling anything at their &quot;pumps&quot; other than electrici=
ty and is this legal? Will the Utility companies end up owning the &quot;ga=
s pumps&quot; at these private stations and will there be competition from =
street corner to street corner for lowest $/kwh or will people have to buy =
their gas from a monopoly which is what electric companies are?</div><div><=
br></div><div>None of this has been well thought out, and it will have majo=
r repercussions. Power generators will need ever more coal and natural gas =
while domestic sources have been bankrupted and shut down. The environment =
will suffer overall, both in CO2 (not that there&#39;s anything wrong with =
CO2) but most especially, the additional global mess that will happen from =
lithium and coal mining and petroleum extraction in countries with less con=
trols than we have here in the US. A lot of people will get rich off the ba=
ck of US taxpayers, but the &quot;environment&quot; will only get worse.</d=
iv><div><br></div><div>Warren</div></div></div>

--00000000000079ba6405bf6d6639--

--===============9044601344443263485==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============9044601344443263485==--

---

From: Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 11:14:59 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3025706772978037746==
 boundary="------------CB34B7CA37CE6046A0862B00"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------CB34B7CA37CE6046A0862B00
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Don't worry Warren, the big companies will find a way to make a huge 
profit at the expense of the underwealthed while the Govt watches glassy 
eyed and thumbs up their bums.

What amazes me is the perception that going electric will lessen the 
strain on the environment.

Cheers
Barrie

On 4/7/2021 11:11 PM, Mogrits wrote:
>     > reluctant to buy an EV because there are not many public
>     charging stations.
> Can someone explain for me this concept of a "public charging 
> station"? The ones I've seen in my town, available to the public, do 
> not appear to have card swipes or coin slots. Are these "public 
> charging stations" free? (Regardless of your answer, they are not 
> "free"). So how long can the taxpayers afford to pay for peoples "gas 
> money"? If the government is building charging stations, are they now 
> in direct competition with gas station owners? Is this a good thing? 
> In most States, only authorized Utility companies can legally sell 
> electricity. If the States decide to "charge to charge", or if 
> charging stations got privatized, are the charging station owners 
> selling anything at their "pumps" other than electricity and is this 
> legal? Will the Utility companies end up owning the "gas pumps" at 
> these private stations and will there be competition from street 
> corner to street corner for lowest $/kwh or will people have to buy 
> repercussions. Power generators will need ever more coal and natural 
> gas while domestic sources have been bankrupted and shut down. The 
> environment will suffer overall, both in CO2 (not that there's 
> anything wrong with CO2) but most especially, the additional global 
> mess that will happen from lithium and coal mining and petroleum 
> extraction in countries with less controls than we have here in the 
> US. A lot of people will get rich off the back of US taxpayers, but 
> the "environment" will only get worse.
>
> Warren
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--------------CB34B7CA37CE6046A0862B00
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <font size="-1"><font face="Arial">Don't worry Warren, the big
        companies will find a way to make a huge profit at the expense
        of the underwealthed while the Govt watches glassy eyed and
        thumbs up their bums.<br>
        <br>
        What amazes me is the perception that going electric will lessen
        the strain on the environment.<br>
        <br>
        Cheers<br>
        Barrie<br>
      </font></font><br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 4/7/2021 11:11 PM, Mogrits wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CAGmEE4dh0QTas56MngOJ6q9KuUzyXff9=[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div class="gmail_quote">
          <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px
            0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
            rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">&gt; Of course, there is
            a chicken/egg problem with public charging stations.<br>
            &gt; No one wants to spend a lot of money installing public
            charging stations<br>
            &gt; until there are a lot of EVs to use them. Conversely,
            many buyers are<br>
            &gt; reluctant to buy an EV because there are not many
            public charging stations.<br>
            &gt; That is why one of the features of the proposed
            infrastructure bill now<br>
            &gt; being debated in Congress includes funding to build
            charging stations.<br>
            <br>
          </blockquote>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>Can someone explain for me this concept of a "public
            charging station"? The ones I've seen in my town, available
            to the public, do not appear to have card swipes or coin
            slots. Are these "public charging stations" free?
            (Regardless of your answer, they are not "free"). So how
            long can the taxpayers afford to pay for peoples "gas
            money"? If the government is building charging stations, are
            they now in direct competition with gas station owners? Is
            this a good thing? In most States, only authorized Utility
            companies can legally sell electricity. If the States decide
            to "charge to charge", or if charging stations got
            privatized, are the charging station owners selling anything
            at their "pumps" other than electricity and is this legal?
            Will the Utility companies end up owning the "gas pumps" at
            these private stations and will there be competition from
            street corner to street corner for lowest $/kwh or will
            people have to buy their gas from a monopoly which is what
            electric companies are?</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>None of this has been well thought out, and it will have
            major repercussions. Power generators will need ever more
            coal and natural gas while domestic sources have been
            bankrupted and shut down. The environment will suffer
            overall, both in CO2 (not that there's anything wrong with
            CO2) but most especially, the additional global mess that
            will happen from lithium and coal mining and petroleum
            extraction in countries with less controls than we have here
            in the US. A lot of people will get rich off the back of US
            taxpayers, but the "environment" will only get worse.</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>Warren</div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------CB34B7CA37CE6046A0862B00--

--===============3025706772978037746==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3025706772978037746==--

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 10:14:21 -0700

--===============1851875908015332391==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_FF6B7EA1-20B5-465B-9CFD-739AA8BBFF9C"

--Apple-Mail=_FF6B7EA1-20B5-465B-9CFD-739AA8BBFF9C
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

I think it=E2=80=99s time to table this completely off topic discussion.

Back on the topic of MGs, I couldn=E2=80=99t think of what to buy with a =
$150 gift certificate from Moss. The only thing I needed was a $15 =
ignition switch (mine is so sloppy that it only cranks the engine maybe =
one out of four tries). I finally decided to splurge on things I =
normally wouldn=E2=80=99t spend on: the wooden knockoff protector, and a =
couple of pricey books.

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB

> On Apr 8, 2021, at 8:14 AM, Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> Don't worry Warren, the big companies will find a way to make a huge =
profit at the expense of the underwealthed while the Govt watches glassy =
eyed and thumbs up their bums.
>=20
> What amazes me is the perception that going electric will lessen the =
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_FF6B7EA1-20B5-465B-9CFD-739AA8BBFF9C
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">I =
think it=E2=80=99s time to table this completely off topic =
discussion.<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">Back on =
the topic of MGs, I couldn=E2=80=99t think of what to buy with a $150 =
gift certificate from Moss. The only thing I needed was a $15 ignition =
switch (mine is so sloppy that it only cranks the engine maybe one out =
of four tries). I finally decided to splurge on things I normally =
wouldn=E2=80=99t spend on: the wooden knockoff protector, and a couple =
of pricey books.<br class=3D""><div class=3D""><br class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">
<div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); letter-spacing: normal; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;" class=3D""><div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D""><div style=3D"margin: 0px; font-size: 13px;" =
class=3D"">--</div><div style=3D"margin: 0px; font-size: 13px; =
min-height: 16px;" class=3D"">Max Heim</div><div style=3D"margin: 0px; =
font-size: 13px;" class=3D"">'66 MGB</div></div></div>
</div>

<div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Apr 8, 2021, at 8:14 AM, Barrie Robinson &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D"">
 =20
    <meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3DUTF-8" class=3D"">
 =20
  <div class=3D"">
    <font size=3D"-1" class=3D""><font face=3D"Arial" class=3D"">Don't =
worry Warren, the big
        companies will find a way to make a huge profit at the expense
        of the underwealthed while the Govt watches glassy eyed and
        thumbs up their bums.<br class=3D"">
        <br class=3D"">
        What amazes me is the perception that going electric will lessen
        the strain on the environment.<br class=3D"">
        <br class=3D"">
        Cheers<br class=3D"">
        Barrie<br class=3D"">
      </font></font><br class=3D""></div></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_FF6B7EA1-20B5-465B-9CFD-739AA8BBFF9C--

--===============1851875908015332391==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1851875908015332391==--