Subject: Re: [Mgs] Replacement alternator

From: Charles Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 05:55:14 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============1029903844874706365==
 boundary="------------B4C6ACFC5C389A0C111B291B"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------B4C6ACFC5C389A0C111B291B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

You didn't say what year  the B is.  I looked the alternator up. I note 
there's a16AC unit,45A, for 68-69.  Might be a better fit. What unit 
came off the car?

CR

On 4/22/2021 4:59 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:
> Yesterday on a friend of a friend's CB MGB. A 'universal' 16/17/18ACR 
> of 55 amps output and a new belt of the same number that came off - 
> 10900. The only way the belt would go on was by fitting it before the 
> mounting bolts! With the body sitting on the engine mount there is 
> still at least 1/2" of movement in the adjuster that can't be used, 
> and with everything installed the adjuster has barely moved from the 
> minimum position.
>
> Two other people on the MGOC forum found the same thing, so I suspect 
> the body on these is fatter. One was offered alternative belts of 
> 10925 and 10950 but not unsurprisingly at the time stayed with the 
> original. Maybe the 10925 would be a better bet, I was aware of the 
> 10950 for late RBs but felt that might be too big.
> PaulH.
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--------------B4C6ACFC5C389A0C111B291B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>You didn't say what year  the B is.  I looked the alternator up. 
      I note there's a16AC unit,45A, for 68-69.  Might be a better fit. 
      What unit came off the car?</p>
    <p>CR<br>
    </p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 4/22/2021 4:59 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:C0BF1B293BAB4B57BAA11A286D367B3A@paul">
      <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
        http-equiv="Content-Type">
      <meta name="GENERATOR" content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
      <style></style>
      <div><span style="WIDOWS: 1; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none;
          BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,224); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY:
          inline !important; FONT: 14px/21px verdana; WHITE-SPACE:
          normal; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR:
          rgb(48,48,48); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width:
          0px">Yesterday on a friend of a friend's CB MGB. A 'universal'
          16/17/18ACR of 55 amps output and a new belt of the same
          number that came off - 10900. The only way the belt would go
          on was by fitting it before the mounting bolts! With the body
          sitting on the engine mount there is still at least 1/2" of
          movement in the adjuster that can't be used<font size="3"
            color="#000000">, and with everything installed the adjuster
            has barely moved from the minimum position.</font></span><br
          style="WIDOWS: 1; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR:
          rgb(255,255,224); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; FONT: 14px/21px verdana;
          WHITE-SPACE: normal; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR:
          rgb(48,48,48); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width:
          0px">
        <br style="WIDOWS: 1; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR:
          rgb(255,255,224); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; FONT: 14px/21px verdana;
          WHITE-SPACE: normal; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR:
          rgb(48,48,48); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width:
          0px">
        <span style="WIDOWS: 1; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR:
          rgb(255,255,224); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline
          !important; FONT: 14px/21px verdana; WHITE-SPACE: normal;
          FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(48,48,48);
          WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">Two other
          people on the MGOC forum found the same thing, so I suspect
          the body on these is fatter. One was offered alternative belts
          of 10925 and 10950 but not unsurprisingly at the time stayed
          with the original. Maybe the 10925 would be a better bet, I
          was aware of the 10950 for late RBs but felt that might be too
          big.</span></div>
      <div><span style="WIDOWS: 1; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none;
          BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,224); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY:
          inline !important; FONT: 14px/21px verdana; WHITE-SPACE:
          normal; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR:
          rgb(48,48,48); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width:
          0px"></span> </div>
      <div><span style="WIDOWS: 1; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none;
          BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,224); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY:
          inline !important; FONT: 14px/21px verdana; WHITE-SPACE:
          normal; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR:
          rgb(48,48,48); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width:
          0px">PaulH.</span></div>
      <div> </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------B4C6ACFC5C389A0C111B291B--

--===============1029903844874706365==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============1029903844874706365==--

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 12:50:17 +0100 wF1mGlCAjx2o+g+ZSLhTbnC3BjaRoPD/IG5f2rOdFASRvccf2JfsDKummCqCHmB2c1KOcdhxOGV/6g==

--===============7225820198906260901==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_007F_01D7383F.363D4880"

------=_NextPart_000_007F_01D7383F.363D4880
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

It's on and working well.  It's a 72, 16AC would be the wrong type as it =
uses an external regulator, I doubt anyone would bother fitting one of =
those these days.  16/17/18ACR (internal regulation) should all be plug =
compatible with each other but require a different plug if replacing a =
16AC.  The original 16AC and ACR were 34 amps, rising though the 17 to =
the 18 at 45 amps.  If that 16AC really is 45 amps then it's not a =
standard unit and may have the same problem.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  You didn't say what year  the B is.  I looked the alternator up.  I =
note there's a16AC unit,45A, for 68-69.  Might be a better fit.  What =
unit came off the car?

------=_NextPart_000_007F_01D7383F.363D4880
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html;&#13;&#10;      charset=3Dwindows-1252"=20
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It's on and working well.&nbsp; It's a 72, 16AC =
would be the=20
wrong type as it uses an external regulator, I doubt anyone would bother =
fitting=20
one of those these days.&nbsp; 16/17/18ACR (internal regulation) should =
all be=20
plug compatible with each other but require a different plug if =
replacing a=20
16AC.&nbsp; The original 16AC and ACR&nbsp;were 34 amps, rising though =
the 17 to=20
the 18 at 45 amps.&nbsp; If that 16AC really is 45 amps then it's not a =
standard=20
unit and may have the same problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT><FONT=20
  size=3D2></FONT><BR></DIV>
  <P>You didn't say what year&nbsp; the B is.&nbsp; I looked the =
alternator=20
  up.&nbsp; I note there's a16AC unit,45A, for 68-69.&nbsp; Might be a =
better=20
  fit.&nbsp; What unit came off the car?</P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_007F_01D7383F.363D4880--

--===============7225820198906260901==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7225820198906260901==--

---

From: Charles Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 04:08:50 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2881664371239765067==
 boundary="------------AE6D78893BB26BEC109DA74F"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------AE6D78893BB26BEC109DA74F
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Glad it's resolved.  I was drawn to the 16AC because I figured a lesser 
output unit might be physically smaller.

I have a '69 with a 5-wire alternator which has an internal regulator.  
Perhaps different accessories for the U. S. market. (?)  It's a rebuilt 
unit from Autozone, marketed under the Duralast brand name, came with a 
lifetime warranty.  Last replacement was a number of years ago.  Not 
even sure they carry it now.   Don't drive the B much now; it's main 
enemy is the passage of time.

CR

On 4/23/2021 6:50 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:
> It's on and working well.  It's a 72, 16AC would be the wrong type as 
> it uses an external regulator, I doubt anyone would bother fitting one 
> of those these days. 16/17/18ACR (internal regulation) should all be 
> plug compatible with each other but require a different plug if 
> replacing a 16AC.  The original 16AC and ACR were 34 amps, rising 
> though the 17 to the 18 at 45 amps.  If that 16AC really is 45 amps 
> then it's not a standard unit and may have the same problem.
> PaulH.
>
>     ----- Original Message -----
>
>     You didn't say what year  the B is.  I looked the alternator up. 
>     What unit came off the car?
>

--------------AE6D78893BB26BEC109DA74F
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Glad it's resolved.  I was drawn to the 16AC because I figured a
      lesser output unit might be physically smaller.  <br>
    </p>
    <p> I have a '69 with a 5-wire alternator which has an internal
      regulator.  Perhaps different accessories for the U. S. market.
      (?)  It's a rebuilt unit from Autozone, marketed under the
      Duralast brand name, came with a lifetime warranty.  Last
      replacement was a number of years ago.  Not even sure they carry
      it now.   Don't drive the B much now; it's main enemy is the
      passage of time.</p>
    <p>CR<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 4/23/2021 6:50 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:DBDE30FE61D5460D94B3B6AE0D31FB2E@paul">
      <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
        http-equiv="Content-Type">
      <meta name="GENERATOR" content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
      <style></style>
      <div><font size="2">It's on and working well.  It's a 72, 16AC
          would be the wrong type as it uses an external regulator, I
          doubt anyone would bother fitting one of those these days. 
          16/17/18ACR (internal regulation) should all be plug
          compatible with each other but require a different plug if
          replacing a 16AC.  The original 16AC and ACR were 34 amps,
          rising though the 17 to the 18 at 45 amps.  If that 16AC
          really is 45 amps then it's not a standard unit and may have
          the same problem.</font></div>
      <div> </div>
      <div><font size="2">PaulH.</font></div>
      <blockquote style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT:
        5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
        <div style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <p>You didn't say what year  the B is.  I looked the alternator
          up.  I note there's a16AC unit,45A, for 68-69.  Might be a
          better fit.  What unit came off the car?</p>
      </blockquote>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------AE6D78893BB26BEC109DA74F--

--===============2881664371239765067==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2881664371239765067==--

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 10:56:19 +0100 poTkzjtUZupXcEtTbasvrZYEQk52NU6FD2mYUYhWdnAMNPcq9v75Gd7iA+eSBg/WtjxjqN6/ciSC6A==

--===============1947982165619079602==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0046_01D738F8.75051070"

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01D738F8.75051070
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

According to the diagrams 5-wire two-plug internally regulated was =
16ACR, not 16AC which had a single plug and four wires to the external =
regulator.  After that 17 and 18 ACR were two or three wires on a single =
3-terminal connection.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  I have a '69 with a 5-wire alternator which has an internal regulator. =
 Perhaps different accessories for the U. S. market. (?)  It's a rebuilt =
unit from Autozone, marketed under the Duralast brand name, came with a =
lifetime warranty.  Last replacement was a number of years ago.  Not =
even sure they carry it now.   Don't drive the B much now; it's main =
enemy is the passage of time.

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01D738F8.75051070
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html;&#13;&#10;      charset=3Dwindows-1252"=20
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>According to the diagrams 5-wire two-plug internally =
regulated=20
was 16ACR, not 16AC which had a single plug and four wires to the =
external=20
regulator.&nbsp; After that 17 and 18 ACR&nbsp;were two or three wires =
on a=20
single 3-terminal connection.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"=20
dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <P>I have a '69 with a 5-wire alternator which has an internal=20
  regulator.&nbsp; Perhaps different accessories for the U. S. market. =
(?)&nbsp;=20
  It's a rebuilt unit from Autozone, marketed under the Duralast brand =
name,=20
  came with a lifetime warranty.&nbsp; Last replacement was a number of =
years=20
  ago.&nbsp; Not even sure they carry it now. &nbsp; Don't drive the B =
much now;=20
  it's main enemy is the passage of time.</P>
  <P><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01D738F8.75051070--

--===============1947982165619079602==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1947982165619079602==--

---

From: Charles Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 14:30:34 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0799338100560141320==
 boundary="------------8C8EBF9F06217EDCBCF78E3F"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------8C8EBF9F06217EDCBCF78E3F
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

You're right.  I looked at those drawings  too but I only compared them 
to what I have, not the 16AC.  Oh well; glad it all worked out.

CR

On 4/24/2021 4:56 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:
> According to the diagrams 5-wire two-plug internally regulated was 
> 16ACR, not 16AC which had a single plug and four wires to the external 
> regulator.  After that 17 and 18 ACR were two or three wires on a 
> single 3-terminal connection.
>
>     I have a '69 with a 5-wire alternator which has an internal
>     passage of time.

--------------8C8EBF9F06217EDCBCF78E3F
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>You're right.  I looked at those drawings  too but I only
      compared them to what I have, not the 16AC.  Oh well; glad it all
      worked out.</p>
    <p>CR<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 4/24/2021 4:56 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:9FD9FC997B3C4879A091A5B1260AE44F@paul">
      <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
        http-equiv="Content-Type">
      <meta name="GENERATOR" content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
      <style></style>
      <div><font size="2">According to the diagrams 5-wire two-plug
          internally regulated was 16ACR, not 16AC which had a single
          plug and four wires to the external regulator.  After that 17
          and 18 ACR were two or three wires on a single 3-terminal
          connection.</font></div>
      <blockquote style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT:
        5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"
        dir="ltr">
        <div style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </div>
        <p>I have a '69 with a 5-wire alternator which has an internal
          regulator.  Perhaps different accessories for the U. S.
          market. (?)  It's a rebuilt unit from Autozone, marketed under
          the Duralast brand name, came with a lifetime warranty.  Last
          replacement was a number of years ago.  Not even sure they
          carry it now.   Don't drive the B much now; it's main enemy is
          the passage of time.</p>
        <p> </p>
      </blockquote>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------8C8EBF9F06217EDCBCF78E3F--

--===============0799338100560141320==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0799338100560141320==--