Subject: Re: [Mgs] Running hot

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 18:04:27 -0600

--===============4612740963240158171==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

PGRpdiBkaXI9J2F1dG8nPiZndDsgSXMgZmFuIHR1cm5pbmcgdGhlIHJpZ2h0IGRpcmVjdGlvbj8g
SSBoYXZlIGhlYXJkIGFib3V0IHRoYXQ8ZGl2IGRpcj0iYXV0byI+Jmd0O2J1dCBuZXZlciBzZWVu
IGl0LjwvZGl2PjxkaXYgZGlyPSJhdXRvIj48YnI+PC9kaXY+PGRpdiBkaXI9ImF1dG8iPiZuYnNw
OyAmbmJzcDtJIHZlcmlmaWVkIHRoYXQgdGhlIG1ldGFsIGZhbiBpcyBtb3VudGVkIGNvcnJlY3Rs
eS4gQW5kIHZlcmlmaWVkIHRoYXQgdGhlIGVsZWN0cmljIGZhbiB0aGF0IEkgbW91bnRlZCBpcyBi
bG93aW5nIHRoZSByaWdodCB3YXkgKHRoZSBzZWNvbmQgdGltZSBJIHdpcmVkIGl0IDotKS48L2Rp
dj48L2Rpdj4=

--===============4612740963240158171==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============4612740963240158171==--

---

From: Robert's New iPad <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 19:50:57 -0500

In 1972, MG issued a service bulletin that said all the cars with metal fans should have them replaced by the dealer, at no cost, by the plastic fan.   When I came across the bulletin, a couple of years back, I bought a plastic fan and replaced the metal one.
   Plastic fan seems to move more air and to be quieter too. As I always keep fan belt very loose, I found its lower weight reduced squeal when jabbing the throttle.
   If the electric fan moves more air than the OEM metal one, why not remove the metal one?   Unless the two are moving air at exactly the same velocity, one fan will be interfering with the other, not enough to cause this overheating, but unnecessary.
Bob

> On Jan 30, 2021, at 7:04 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> > Is fan turning the right direction? I have heard about that
> >but never seen it.
> 
>    I verified that the metal fan is mounted correctly. And verified that the electric fan that I mounted is blowing the right way (the second time I wired it :-).

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 19:54:41 +0100

That's an interesting piece of information! 
So now I have to find an MG dealer, who can deliver me a plastic fan.
My 1971 imported in 1990 to the Netherlands from California still has the
metal blades...
I once read a story of a broke metal fan blade protruding through the bonnet
(hood).

Cheers,
Hans
71 BGT

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Mgs <[email-masked]> Namens Robert's New iPad
Verzonden: zondag 31 januari 2021 01:51
Aan: [email-masked]
CC: MGs <[email-masked]>
Onderwerp: Re: [Mgs] Running hot

    In 1972, MG issued a service bulletin that said all the cars with metal
fans should have them replaced by the dealer, at no cost, by the plastic
fan.   When I came across the bulletin, a couple of years back, I bought a
plastic fan and replaced the metal one.
   Plastic fan seems to move more air and to be quieter too. As I always
keep fan belt very loose, I found its lower weight reduced squeal when
jabbing the throttle.
   If the electric fan moves more air than the OEM metal one, why not remove
the metal one?   Unless the two are moving air at exactly the same velocity,
one fan will be interfering with the other, not enough to cause this
overheating, but unnecessary.
Bob

> > Is fan turning the right direction? I have heard about that but 
> >never seen it.
> 
>    I verified that the metal fan is mounted correctly. And verified that
the electric fan that I mounted is blowing the right way (the second time I
wired it :-).
_______________________________________________

-- 
Dit e-mailbericht is gecontroleerd op virussen met Avast antivirussoftware.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

[email-masked]