Subject: Re: [Mgs] electric fan

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 08:27:14 -0000 FYij0nDqhWReDgCuGhDvRdVHHtQRiFktPovijno89w76aEWATL62CGA4J+mNEVPtpoVA5Y3YoWTy0Q==

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============8252279926060540910==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_001A_01D6E4CE.E6E2D6B0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01D6E4CE.E6E2D6B0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Some add a mechanical fan, but since MGBs have been running around in =
desert states for 50 years it shouldn't be necessary except possibly =
under the harshest of conditions.  People ad them here in the UK which =
seems ridiculous (especially at the moment ,,,), but then they could be =
covering-up a problem which should be investigated and fixed.

Whilst the factory thermostats were set to 90C, aftermarket types often =
have a variable control.  This means that factory systems have a rise on =
the temp gauge before the fan cuts in, when many seem paranoid bout =
probably because they are used to modern cars which don't do that.  So =
they set them to the stat temp to try and keep the temp gauge at a fixed =
point regardless of conditions.

The bottom line is that if everything is working as it should be, you =
shouldn't need additional cooling.

PaulH.

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: dave=20
  To: [email-masked]=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2021 5:52 PM
  Subject: [Mgs] electric fan

  Who uses an electric fan as an add on to the mechanical one?  What =
temperature does it kick in?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----

  _______________________________________________

  [email-masked]
  Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
  Suggested annual donation  $12.75

  Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs =
http://autox.team.net/archive

  Unsubscribe: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01D6E4CE.E6E2D6B0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:v =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Calibri;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: windowtext; mso-style-type: =
personal-compose
}
.MsoChpDefault {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.WordSection1 {
	page: WordSection1
}
</STYLE>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"WORD-WRAP: break-word" lang=3DEN-US link=3D#0563c1 =
bgColor=3D#ffffff=20
vLink=3D#954f72>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Some add a mechanical fan, but since MGBs have been =
running=20
around in desert states&nbsp;for 50 years it shouldn't be necessary =
except=20
possibly under the harshest of conditions.&nbsp; People ad them here in =
the UK=20
which seems ridiculous (especially at the moment ,,,), but then they =
could be=20
covering-up a problem which should be investigated and =
fixed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Whilst the factory thermostats were set to 90C, =
aftermarket=20
types often have a variable control.&nbsp; This means that&nbsp;factory =
systems=20
have a rise on the temp gauge before the fan cuts in, when many seem =
paranoid=20
bout probably because they are used to modern cars which don't do=20
that.&nbsp;&nbsp;So they set them to the stat temp to try and keep the =
temp=20
gauge at a fixed point regardless of conditions.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The bottom line is that if everything is working as =
it should=20
be, you shouldn't need additional cooling.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=[email-masked] href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">dave</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
  href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, January 06, =
2021 5:52=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Mgs] electric =
fan</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DWordSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Who uses an electric fan as an add on to the =
mechanical=20
  one?&nbsp; What temperature does it kick in?<o:p></o:p></P></DIV>
  <P>
  <HR>

  <P></P>_______________________________________________<BR><BR><A=20
  href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A><BR>Donate: =
<A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html<=
/A><BR>Suggested=20
  annual donation&nbsp; $12.75<BR><BR>Archive: <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/=
mgs</A>=20
  <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</A><=
BR><BR>Unsubscribe:=20
  =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]<BR><=
/BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01D6E4CE.E6E2D6B0--

--===============8252279926060540910==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============8252279926060540910==--

---

From: Simon Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 19:21:22 -0800

I had a US spec '74 MGB which withstood the Texas summer heat with no
hint of overheating, and, when in the  UK, I had to cover the oil
cooler and half the radiator during winter or it would never get to
normal temperature.

Simon

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 12:58 AM PaulHunt73 <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Some add a mechanical fan, but since MGBs have been running around in desert states for 50 years it shouldn't be necessary except possibly under the harshest of conditions.  People ad them here in the UK which seems ridiculous (especially at the moment ,,,), but then they could be covering-up a problem which should be investigated and fixed.
>
> Whilst the factory thermostats were set to 90C, aftermarket types often have a variable control.  This means that factory systems have a rise on the temp gauge before the fan cuts in, when many seem paranoid bout probably because they are used to modern cars which don't do that.  So they set them to the stat temp to try and keep the temp gauge at a fixed point regardless of conditions.
>
> The bottom line is that if everything is working as it should be, you shouldn't need additional cooling.
>
> PaulH.
>
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: dave
> To: [email-masked]
> Who uses an electric fan as an add on to the mechanical one?  What temperature does it kick in?
>
> ________________________________
>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]