Subject: [Mgs] rivets without holes

From: "dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 10:34:17 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============4798497822538774777==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0035_01D66A4A.CF66BFF0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01D66A4A.CF66BFF0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

ISTR there was a thread a while back about rivets without holes in them
(i.e. solid tops).  I need to rivet in the metal plates on the valve cover
and I would like to do it correctly.

Can someone help me out?

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01D66A4A.CF66BFF0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>ISTR there was a thread a while back about rivets =
without holes in them (i.e. solid tops).&nbsp; I need to rivet in the =
metal plates on the valve cover and I would like to do it =
correctly.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Can someone help me =
out?<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0035_01D66A4A.CF66BFF0--

--===============4798497822538774777==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============4798497822538774777==--

---

From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 14:32:00 -0400

I bought a package from McMaster-Carr a few years ago. I have lots left.

Send me your mailing address & I will put a few in envelope.

To set the rivets I made a buck with a length of hardwood. Drill a small 
divot in the end, clamp the piece of wood in a vise, position the rivet 
head in the divot - through the ID plate & valve cover and peen over the 
end of the rivet. I started it by using a center punch in the end of the 
rivet then peened it over with a ball peen hammer.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

On 8/4/2020 2:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 10:34:17 -0500
> From: "dave" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [Mgs] rivets without holes
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>

[email-masked]

---

From: dwoerpel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 15:39:46 -0500

--===============4865008966602342037==

----_com.samsung.android.email_2437726002722470
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.samsung.android.email_2437726002722470
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.samsung.android.email_2437726002722470--

--===============4865008966602342037==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4865008966602342037==--

---

From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 17:38:32 -0400

It was a few years ago and my remembering ain't what it used to be... It 
is possible I put a little bit of sealant (RTV?) on the rivet before 
assembly. But when it is properly installed the rivet's shank should 
expand to fill the drilled hole before being peened over.

Anyway, it's an MG. I thought they were supposed to leak oil? Fill up 
the oil & check the gas...

Eric

On 8/4/2020 4:39 PM, dwoerpel wrote:
> I did similar but the buck was an alloy. Worked well on the tubular 
> rivet but I get oil leaking out the rivet holes.  Re-did them using 
> sealer but still leak.
> Any ideas before Dave rivers his and this Dave tries again?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave W

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

---

From: dwoerpel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 08:29:28 -0500

--===============6446940342362709955==

----_com.samsung.android.email_451902480866090
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.samsung.android.email_451902480866090
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.samsung.android.email_451902480866090--

--===============6446940342362709955==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6446940342362709955==--