Subject: [Mgs] Speedo cable stuck in speedo

From: "Douglas McKinnie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 21:45:22 -0400

--===============1669407101962989494==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<body>
<div style=3D"font-family: verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:=
 8pt; color: #000000;">
I've had a non-working speedo that the annual state inspection has missed=
 3 times now (perhaps a working GPS in the car counts in my state?).
<br />
<br />The angle drive at the transmission is the culprit, and I've been c=
arrying around a longer speedo cable for just as long.&nbsp;
<div>
  <br />
</div>
<div>I've got the speedometer out of the dash and out of the car, but the=
 "inner" of the speedo cable is still very securely attached to the speed=
ometer, and tugging on it with pliers doesn't seem to budge it at all.
</div>
<div>
  <br />
</div>
<div>Any suggestions?
</div>

<br>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--===============1669407101962989494==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============1669407101962989494==--

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 08:59:06 +0100 Lqz0dC2rr0GNMnSETOGzmqZuk0M+j9gzhzGbZroKa3d09lfqJzYMPb5iAZg1Y4rSaIYdJHzGFtOQ8w==

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============9026768451633044988==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_008F_01D67606.FEAC3BB0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_008F_01D67606.FEAC3BB0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I take it you mean the inner of the right-angle drive is stuck in the =
speedo?  No experience of those but where the cable goes direct into the =
speedo it's just a loose-fitting square drive.

You may already know this but the routing on LHD cars did change at =
various times from going across the car behind the dash and needing a =
right-angle drive, to going across in the engine compartment then =
straight through the bulkhead into the back of the speedo i.e. no =
right-angle drive.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  I've got the speedometer out of the dash and out of the car, but the =
"inner" of the speedo cable is still very securely attached to the =
speedometer, and tugging on it with pliers doesn't seem to budge it at =
all. 
------=_NextPart_000_008F_01D67606.FEAC3BB0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I take it you mean the inner of the right-angle =
drive is stuck=20
in the speedo?&nbsp; No experience of those but where the cable goes =
direct into=20
the speedo it's just a loose-fitting square drive.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You may already know this but the routing on LHD =
cars did=20
change at various times&nbsp;from going across the car behind the dash =
and=20
needing a right-angle drive,&nbsp;to going across in the engine =
compartment then=20
straight through the bulkhead into the back of the speedo i.e. no =
right-angle=20
drive.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black"><BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; COLOR: =
#000000; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">
  <DIV>I've got the speedometer out of the dash and out of the car, but =
the=20
  "inner" of the speedo cable is still very securely attached to the=20
  speedometer, and tugging on it with pliers doesn't seem to budge it at =
all.=20
  </DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_008F_01D67606.FEAC3BB0--

--===============9026768451633044988==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============9026768451633044988==--

---

From: "Douglas McKinnie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 18:07:01 -0400

Update: Mine had no angle-drive at the speedo, just an angle drive on the
transmission end.

 I just had feet of "inner" cable attached to the speedo and unwilling to come
away from it. 

Following advice here and elsewhere, I grabbed the cable with pliers and
wiggled and pulled and it did come loose!

Now it is reinstalled with a new cable, no angle drive at either end.
Unfortunately, although the odometer and trip meter work fine now, the speed
needle is very steady at "0" regardless of the speed of the car. It did work
fine being spun by an anticlockwise drill with the old cable, so I fear that
my wiggle-and-pull extra force routine has done some damage internal to the
speedo.

More research, more thinking!

[email-masked]