Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA FRONT DISC BRAKES

From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 14:19:22 -0400

> Where can I find info on converting shoe to disc on the front od a 
1957 mga rst 1500?

Barney answered your question but I want to ask one.

Why? Unless you are routinely careening down mountain roads the MGA drum 
brakes are more than adequate for  a street driven MGA. Even many 
vintage raced MGAs do not convert to discs (even when they are allowed 
to do so). The limiting factor for stopping distance will always be tire 
traction. Put your money into good tires (most MGA size tires are for 
economy cars and not sports cars) and I think you'll find the brakes are 
fine. This of course assumes drum brakes/linings/etc are all in good 
condition. Which, with brakes being very high on the List of Important 
Things, they should be.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 21:17:47 -0500

+1 on that

-----Original Message-----
From: Mgs <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Eric Russell
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 1:19 PM
To: [email-masked]; Thomas Gunderson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA FRONT DISC BRAKES

1957 mga rst 1500?

Why? Unless you are routinely careening down mountain roads the MGA drum brakes are more than adequate for  a street driven MGA. Even many vintage raced MGAs do not convert to discs (even when they are allowed to do so). The limiting factor for stopping distance will always be tire traction. Put your money into good tires (most MGA size tires are for economy cars and not sports cars) and I think you'll find the brakes are fine. This of course assumes drum brakes/linings/etc are all in good condition. Which, with brakes being very high on the List of Important Things, they should be.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]