Subject: [Mgs] Brake filaure

From: Barrie Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 17:46:00 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5123107153018288364==
 boundary="------------5F8C3EA853ABFD3515F6C510"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------5F8C3EA853ABFD3515F6C510
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Hello folks,

I have a power assist brake system which after bringing out of winter 
cover my MGB GT V8 exhibited brake failure  No brake fluid on the floor 
but it did need topping up.   So added Dot 4 but still soft squashy 
pedal.    Blowing/sucking  on tube to Edelbrock carb (I have a Rover V8 
dropped in) it sucked but would not blow (I understand this is 
correct}.  So we figured that the brakes need bleeding - is this a 
correct diagnosis? Any tips for a non-brake but fairly well versed 
owner.   If I stomped a lot on the pedal when engine running would that 
put air into the brake pipes

Cheers
Barrie

--------------5F8C3EA853ABFD3515F6C510
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <font size="-1"><font face="Arial">Hello folks, <br>
        <br>
        I have a power assist brake system which after bringing out of
        winter cover my MGB GT V8 exhibited brake failure  No brake
        fluid on the floor but it did need topping up.   So added Dot 4
        but still soft squashy pedal.    Blowing/sucking  on tube to
        Edelbrock carb (I have a Rover V8 dropped in) it sucked but
        would not blow (I understand this is correct}.  So we figured
        that the brakes need bleeding - is this a correct diagnosis? 
        Any tips for a non-brake but fairly well versed owner.   If I
        stomped a lot on the pedal when engine running would that put
        air into the brake pipes<br>
        <br>
        Cheers<br>
        Barrie<br>
      </font></font>
  </body>
</html>

--------------5F8C3EA853ABFD3515F6C510--

--===============5123107153018288364==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============5123107153018288364==--

---

From: dave northrup via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 15:29:31 -0700 z2z3v6zkp2+YMf8VnWgzRbynTPh28B2blB5tVN1QdTm9nHWNNeoNV1BVVR/oLBaHejPdOMK3rjRe0xGH+doSSWtD5yhDs4Y/p8g=

--===============6488100802929727486==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><span style=3D"font-family:Verdana; color:#000; font-size:10pt;=
"><div>get speedbleeders!!!<br><br></div>=0A<blockquote id=3D"replyBlockquo=
te" webmail=3D"1" style=3D"border-left: 2px solid blue; margin-left: 8px; p=
adding-left: 8px; font-size:10pt; color:black; font-family:verdana;">=0A<di=
v id=3D"wmQuoteWrapper">=0A-------- Original Message --------<br>=0ASubject=
: [Mgs] Brake filaure<br>=0AFrom: Barrie Robinson via Mgs &lt;<a href=3D"ma=
ilto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>=0ADate: Tue, May 05=
, 2020 4:46 pm<br>=0ATo: MGB List &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"=
>[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>=0A<br>=0A     <font size=3D"-1"><font face=
=3D"Arial">Hello folks, <br> <br> I have a power assist brake system which =
after bringing out of winter cover my MGB GT V8 exhibited brake failure&nbs=
p; No brake fluid on the floor but it did need topping up.&nbsp;&nbsp; So a=
dded Dot 4 but still soft squashy pedal.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Blowing/sucking&=
nbsp; on tube to Edelbrock carb (I have a Rover V8 dropped in) it sucked bu=
t would not blow (I understand this is correct}.&nbsp; So we figured that t=
he brakes need bleeding - is this a correct diagnosis?&nbsp; Any tips for a=
 non-brake but fairly well versed owner.&nbsp;&nbsp; If I stomped a lot on =
the pedal when engine running would that put air into the brake pipes<br> <=
br> Cheers<br> Barrie<br> </font></font>   <hr>____________________________=
___________________<br>=0A<br>=0A<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Mgs@=
autox.team.net</a><br>=0ADonate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html=
">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>=0ASuggested annual donation  $12.=
75<br>=0A<br>=0AArchive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs">http=
://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"=
>http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>=0A<br>=0AUnsubscribe: http:<a href=
=3D"mailto://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">//autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a><br>=0A=0A</div>=0A</blockq=
uote></span></body></html>

--===============6488100802929727486==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6488100802929727486==--

---

From: Eric Russell via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 14:28:44 -0400

I mean no offense but brakes are rather high on the List of Important 
Things. I am 100% in favor of owners working on their own cars but I 
also get somewhat leery of giving advice about Important Things via 
typed words over the interwebs. (and that is not even taking 
misspellings into account...)

That said, the loss of a measureable volume of brake fluid over the 
winter would indicate a leak somewhere. It must be found and rectified 
(that List of Important Things thing). My general rule is that when part 
of a brake system fails all the other parts are soon to follow. You can 
replace parts one item at a time but don't be surprised when another 
part fails soon afterwards (see: List of Important Things). So... unless 
you find a reasonable reason for one part to have failed while leaving 
all the other parts are in perfect shape (Important Things again), it 
would probably be prudent to replace all the wearable parts of the 
brake's hydraulics in one swell foop. Then, when you're done you'll know 
the brakes are in tip top shape.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
> Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 17:46:00 -0400
> From: Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]>
> To: MGB List <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [Mgs] Brake filaure
>
>
> cover my MGB GT V8 exhibited brake failure? No brake fluid on the floor
> but it did need topping up.?? So added Dot 4 but still soft squashy
> pedal.??? Blowing/sucking? on tube to Edelbrock carb (I have a Rover V8
> correct}.? So we figured that the brakes need bleeding - is this a
> owner.?? If I stomped a lot on the pedal when engine running would that

[email-masked]