Subject: Re: [Mgs] Mgs MGA AIR FILTER

From: Eric Russell via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 15:12:56 -0400

Almost anything knowable about the MGA can be found in the MGA Guru's 
Tech Pages: http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/

Re: MGA Air Filters - yes, they should be oiled. The MGA Owner's Manual 
is available here: 
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/books/pdf/Drivers_Handbook_1600.pdf The front 
filter plate has a short pipe for the rocker breather. The MGA filter 
easily bends around it.

Having noted the above, It should be mentioned that the MGA Air Filters 
are more for keeping rocks & small birds out. Alternate filters are 
shown here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/carbs/cb200.htm To fit these 
filters you will need to carve away a bit of the filter to clear the 
breather fitting.

Not stock in appearance but I use K&N RU4410 attached to MGB SU air 
entry smoothers. Much easier to R/R the filters and real filtration. 
Pictures here: 
https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt-forum.1/attaching-k-and-n-ru-4410-filters.1436061/ 

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

> Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 13:54:53 -0400
> From: Thomas Gunderson
>
> I have a 1957 MGA rst 1500.
> I have the air filters that aremetal zig zag all the way around the original style filter. A tuffcotton woven with the metal.should the filters be oiled or dry? Do I need to make a cut in the filter for the blowback air hose?
> Thanks,
> Tom
>
>

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Stan Fickes via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 20:32:05 -0400

--===============1472896823310781533==

--00000000000006b93f05a4c7a912

As Barney says, the Fram CA77 will squeeze onto the factory plates. A notch
has to be carved out, but it only takes a minute with an X-Acto. (Amusing
note -- my Deere garden tractor uses the CA77 but neither sounds as good
nor is as fun to drive.) Changing the perished factory filter elements to
the CA77 led to another problem. The increased flow resistance of the CA77
caused reduced air pressure inside the filter/carb mouth, causing oil to be
sucked up the breather hose, which led to increased oil consumption and oil
dripping out of the rear filter. To remedy this, I JB Welded a bit of
hardware cloth inside the rocker cover, and inserted some stainless steel
scrubber (like Kurly Kate) in the pipe coming out of the cover. The
scrubber catches the oil so it might drain back into the rocker rather than
travel up the hose. It's worked for me, though I'm now braced for
constructive criticism (You did WHAT?!?). I suspect the MGB K&N solution
flows better and leads to (perhaps marginally) better performance with less
oil draw. I suppose another solution to filtering breather input air with
no concern as to stock appearance might be something like
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-2164 on top of the rocker cover, or
bracketed nearby if clearance is insufficient.
sf

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 3:13 PM Eric Russell via Mgs <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> > I have the air filters that aremetal zig zag all the way around the
> original style filter. A tuffcotton woven with the metal.should the filters
> be oiled or dry? Do I need to make a cut in the filter for the blowback air
> hose?
> > Thanks,
> > Tom
>

--00000000000006b93f05a4c7a912
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>As Barney says, the Fram CA77 will squeeze onto the f=
actory plates. A notch has to be carved out, but it only takes a minute wit=
h an X-Acto. (Amusing note -- my Deere garden tractor uses the CA77 but nei=
ther sounds as good nor is as fun to drive.) Changing the perished factory =
filter elements to the CA77 led to another problem. The increased flow resi=
stance of the CA77 caused reduced air pressure inside the filter/carb mouth=
, causing oil to be sucked up the breather hose, which led to increased oil=
 consumption and oil dripping out of the rear filter. To remedy this, I JB =
Welded a bit of hardware cloth inside the rocker cover, and inserted some s=
tainless steel scrubber (like Kurly Kate) in the pipe coming out of the cov=
er. The scrubber catches the oil so it might drain back into the rocker rat=
her than travel up the hose. It&#39;s worked for me, though I&#39;m now bra=
ced for constructive criticism (You did WHAT?!?). I suspect the MGB K&amp;N=
 solution flows better and leads to (perhaps marginally) better performance=
 with less oil draw. I suppose another solution to filtering breather=C2=A0=
input air with no concern as to stock appearance might be something like=C2=
=A0<a href=3D"https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-2164">https://www.summ=
itracing.com/parts/vpe-2164</a>=C2=A0on top of the rocker cover, or bracket=
ed nearby if clearance is insufficient.</div><div>sf</div><br><div class=3D=
"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, May 3, 2020 at =
3:13 PM Eric Russell via Mgs &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">mgs@=
autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" st=
yle=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padd=
ing-left:1ex">Almost anything knowable about the MGA can be found in the MG=
A Guru&#39;s <br>
Tech Pages: <a href=3D"http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/" rel=3D"noreferrer" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/</a><br>
<br>
Re: MGA Air Filters - yes, they should be oiled. The MGA Owner&#39;s Manual=
 <br>
is available here: <br>
<a href=3D"http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/books/pdf/Drivers_Handbook_1600.pdf" r=
el=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/books/pdf/Dri=
vers_Handbook_1600.pdf</a> The front <br>
filter plate has a short pipe for the rocker breather. The MGA filter <br>
easily bends around it.<br>
<br>
Having noted the above, It should be mentioned that the MGA Air Filters <br=
are more for keeping rocks &amp; small birds out. Alternate filters are <br=
shown here: <a href=3D"http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/carbs/cb200.htm" rel=3D"no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/carbs/cb200.htm</a> T=
o fit these <br>
filters you will need to carve away a bit of the filter to clear the <br>
breather fitting.<br>
<br>
Not stock in appearance but I use K&amp;N RU4410 attached to MGB SU air <br=
entry smoothers. Much easier to R/R the filters and real filtration. <br>
Pictures here: <br>
<a href=3D"https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt-forum.1/attaching-k-and-n=
-ru-4410-filters.1436061/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www=
.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt-forum.1/attaching-k-and-n-ru-4410-filters.14360=
61/</a> <br>
<br>
<br>
Eric Russell<br>
Mebane, NC<br>
<br>
<br>
&gt; Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 13:54:53 -0400<br>
&gt; From: Thomas Gunderson<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I have a 1957 MGA rst 1500.<br>
&gt; I have the air filters that aremetal zig zag all the way around the or=
iginal style filter. A tuffcotton woven with the metal.should the filters b=
e oiled or dry? Do I need to make a cut in the filter for the blowback air =
hose?<br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; Tom<br>
</blockquote></div></div>

--00000000000006b93f05a4c7a912--

--===============1472896823310781533==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1472896823310781533==--