Subject: Re: [Mgs] Good Customer Service, MechSpec

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 08:24:19 -0000 TWfCEvM68vk0cKDx6krSP0wGqOuWwOSAQO4wPUOkDGKFYkGgBuo7Po2PCRki3B0MEl6qWeWez0uxkWiqpaHHLmBCYHISYeHqhN+wNlBfw50utfD4LkivqHFd

Pity they didn't check it went into all gears before sending it out.  I did, 
and confirmed that turning the input shaft by hand turned the output shaft 
the appropriate amount in each gear, BEFORE reinstalling my rebuilt V8 box. 
>From someone else.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- > Now the good news is the supplier Mech Spec 
MG Centre near Doncaster,
> Yorkshire, UK is going to send a mechanic to his house to help remove the 
> gearbox for investigation, and will fix whatever is necessary.
> 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Barney Gaylord via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2020 10:08:39 -0500

Yeah, well, everybody makes a mistake sooner or later, and they 
should have checked it before shipping.  And I'm sure they're 
embarrased and won't let it happen again.  And the customer probably 
should have also checked it before installation, so it got past at 
least two people.  When the supplier didn't check it before shipping, 
it's hard to blame the customer for missing the same issue.  This is 
more a case of how to handle it after the fact.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com

At 03:24 AM 3/6/2020, PaulHunt73 wrote:
>Pity they didn't check it went into all gears before sending it 
>out.  I did, and confirmed that turning the input shaft by hand 
>turned the output shaft the appropriate amount in each gear, BEFORE 
>reinstalling my rebuilt V8 box. From someone else.
>
>PaulH.

>----- Original Message -----
>>Now the good news is the supplier Mech Spec MG Centre near 
>>Doncaster, Yorkshire, UK is going to send a mechanic to his house 
>>to help remove the gearbox for investigation, and will fix whatever 
>>is necessary.
>>....

[email-masked]

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 15:28:14 -0000 zZ8odGhipmjlc65yxFBqoHOpktSzBf+rVFuYtO12cW7d5dbpQHr4xN8KGlK6hwkGYKt2XWgDOXvwlHBOqNsN8gL7TcIDL9+RFr0=

I was born an optimist.  But after 50 years dealing with trades-people and 
suppliers I'm afraid I've become a pessimist.  Whilst the gearbox works the 
OD has a leak it didn't have before, and I've got a horrible feeling that 
after just a few dozen miles the OD has started engaging with a bang unless 
I feather the throttle, again which it didn't before.  Weather not conducive 
to more testing at the moment.  Roadster does neither, but then no one has 
fiddled with them in 30 years, and quite possibly not since manufacture.

Getting the V8 gearbox out at home is a much bigger job than with the 
4-cylinder.

----- Original Message ----- 
> ...  When the supplier didn't check it before shipping, it's hard to blame 
> the customer for missing the same issue. 

[email-masked]