Subject: [Mgs] Fwd: Re: Tires

From: Barney Gaylord via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 15:18:08 -0500

--===============4630827249436787751==
	boundary="=====================_74811296==.ALT"

--=====================_74811296==.ALT

Oops, sorry.  Didn't notice you were looking for 14" tires.

>Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 15:15:42 -0500
>To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, MGs 
><[email-masked]>
>From: Barney Gaylord <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: [Mgs] Tires
>
>For very good value for the money, I like
>Nexen SB802 All-Season Radial Tire - 165/80R15 87T
>$60 from Amazon with free 4-5 day shipping.
>$60 from Walmart with free 2-day shipping, or have them shipped to 
>your nearest Walmart superstore for installation.
>
>Avoid Nankang tires, at least in this size.  Latteral grip is not 
>too bad, but directional stability is terrible, have you wandering 
>all over the road, needing constant attention to keep in your 
>traffic lane, even worse if the road surface is not flat.   I had to 
>buy two of those when I was in Alaska, started out on the front but 
>quickly moved them to the rear axle as a matter of safety.
>
>Gremax Capturar CF2 165/80/15 tires are good.  Found those in 
>Canada.  They have the best directional stability of any tire I ever 
>driven, even on the "W" roads (deply worn in the tracks from snow 
>studs and tire chains).
>
>Vredestein Sprint Classic 165HR15 86H and Blockley 165VR15 86V 4PR 
>are good (for more money).  Bias ply tires are strictly for show 
>cars, not for any spirited driving.  Settle for nothing less than 
>Traction "A" in the UTOG rating.
>
>$0..03,
>
>Barney Gaylord
>1958 MGA with an attitude (and 600,000 miles)
>http://MGAguru.com
>
>
>At 01:19 PM 1/27/2020, Michael MacLean via Mgs wrote:
>>I know this is going to start a crap storm, but I have not owned an 
>>MG for many years.  My new to me 69 GT has Dunlop SP 20 165SR 14 
>>tires on it now.  I cannot find a date code anywhere in these 
>>tires.  Does Dunlop still make SP 20 tires anymore?  I'm pretty 
>>sure these tires are too old.  The sidewall has tiny cracks all 
>>over.  They are holding for now, but I can't help but think how 
>>much better the ride would be with new tires, any tires.  What size 
>>should I be looking for?  Any suggestions for a tire that won't 
>>have me eating peanut butter sandwiches for the next month?
>>Mike MacLean

--=====================_74811296==.ALT

<html>
<body>
Oops, sorry.&nbsp; Didn't notice you were looking for 14&quot; tires.
<br><br>
<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite="">Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 15:15:42
-0500<br>
To: &quot;[email-masked]&quot; &lt;[email-masked]&gt;,
MGs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
From: Barney Gaylord &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Tires<br><br>
For very good value for the money, I like <br>
Nexen SB802 All-Season Radial Tire - 165/80R15 87T <br>
$60 from Amazon with free 4-5 day shipping.<br>
$60 from Walmart with free 2-day shipping, or have them shipped to your
nearest Walmart superstore for installation.<br><br>
Avoid Nankang tires, at least in this size.&nbsp; Latteral grip is not
too bad, but directional stability is terrible, have you wandering all
over the road, needing constant attention to keep in your traffic lane,
even worse if the road surface is not flat.&nbsp;&nbsp; I had to buy two
of those when I was in Alaska, started out on the front but quickly moved
them to the rear axle as a matter of safety.<br><br>
Gremax Capturar CF2 165/80/15 tires are good.&nbsp; Found those in
Canada.&nbsp; They have the best directional stability of any tire I ever
driven, even on the &quot;W&quot; roads (deply worn in the tracks from
snow studs and tire chains).<br><br>
Vredestein Sprint Classic 165HR15 86H and <b>B</b>lockley 165VR15 86V 4PR
are good (for more money).&nbsp; Bias ply tires are strictly for show
cars, not for any spirited driving.&nbsp; Settle for nothing less than
Traction &quot;A&quot; in the UTOG rating.<br><br>
$0..03,<br><br>
Barney Gaylord<br>
1958 MGA with an attitude (and 600,000 miles)<br>
<a href="http://mgaguru.com/" eudora="autourl">http://MGAguru.com</a><br>
<br>
<br>
At 01:19 PM 1/27/2020, Michael MacLean via Mgs wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite="">I know this is going to start a
crap storm, but I have not owned an MG for many years.&nbsp; My new to me
69 GT has Dunlop SP 20 165SR 14 tires on it now.&nbsp; I cannot find a
date code anywhere in these tires.&nbsp; Does Dunlop still make SP 20
tires anymore?&nbsp; I'm pretty sure these tires are too old.&nbsp; The
sidewall has tiny cracks all over.&nbsp; They are holding for now, but I
can't help but think how much better the ride would be with new tires,
any tires.&nbsp; What size should I be looking for?&nbsp; Any suggestions
for a tire that won't have me eating peanut butter sandwiches for the
next month?<br>
Mike MacLean</blockquote></blockquote></body>
</html>

--=====================_74811296==.ALT--

--===============4630827249436787751==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============4630827249436787751==--