Subject: Re: [Mgs] Shims

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 14:21:00 +0100 pyWj2quwMxxm2rE3deiuPmmiUHDlj9Ytft+6yF4vTT9Wfgh2dMnlSCxu1/ZTeqltiTfeBxpSo9Ohbg==

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============8572667317202409874==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_018D_01D56199.A4D068F0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_018D_01D56199.A4D068F0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

'Floating' calipers as used on the MG ZS 180 for example do only have a =
piston one side.  When the pad that side contacts the disc the body of =
the caliper is pushed back, on sliding pins mounted on a fixed carrier.  =
The caliper wraps round the disc to pull the other pad against the other =
side of the disc.  I had my doubts about the sliding pins, but despite a =
number of corroded parts on my 14 year-old ZS - far more than on my 40 =
year old MGBs - those haven't yet given me problems, it has been the =
pistons themselves, as on the MGB calipers.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  I have heard of but not experienced, floating calipers. Do they have a =
piston on one side only? Seems a really silly place to cut cost corners!
------=_NextPart_000_018D_01D56199.A4D068F0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=EF=BB=BF<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>'Floating' calipers as used on the MG ZS 180 for =
example do=20
only have a piston one side.&nbsp; When the pad that side contacts the =
disc the=20
body of the caliper is&nbsp;pushed back, on sliding pins mounted on a =
fixed=20
carrier.&nbsp; The caliper wraps round the disc to pull the other pad =
against=20
the other side of the disc.&nbsp; I had my doubts about the sliding =
pins, but=20
despite a number of corroded parts on my 14 year-old ZS - far more than =
on my 40=20
year old MGBs - those haven't yet given me problems, it has been the =
pistons=20
themselves, as on the MGB calipers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black">&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dauto>
  <DIV dir=3Dauto>
  <DIV dir=3Dauto>I have heard of but not experienced, floating =
calipers. Do they=20
  have a piston on one side only? Seems a really silly place to cut cost =

  corners!</DIV></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_018D_01D56199.A4D068F0--

--===============8572667317202409874==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============8572667317202409874==--