Subject: [Mgs] Modern radio in old MGB car

From: Barrie Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 11:08:11 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8209760371571408276==
 boundary="------------F1E63F8920FF6D6C1CF6C834"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------F1E63F8920FF6D6C1CF6C834
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Hello folks,

This is just comments on putting a radio in an MGB.

When I built my MGB GT V8 many years ago I did not put in a radio - so 
recently I decided to put one in.  I wanted a remote USB a facility and 
one Pioneer model offered this so I got my local car radio shop to put 
it in.   Now, I hate adverts and only listen to two stations.   The 
installed radio was great BUT could not pick up the two (weak) stations 
despite a "new all singing, all dancing" windscreen antenna.  Disaster.  
Not only this but my battery went flat after not using the car for a few 
days.  A nasty problem as electrical leaks are hard to diagnose.  For 
the weak stations problem the Radio shop advised a powered antenna - so 
I bought one from Retro Manufacturing - the lasts small one they had 
that would fit in the rear of the MGB - lucky.   Mounting the powered 
antenna was awkward especially as the install instructions were WRONG.  
After installation it worked fine - weak stations no problem.   But 
battery flattening continued !!!!   Then radio man /thought /that modern 
radios had facilities that connected them to "modern" car computers and 
thus the drain as the radio would keep "on" and chatting even when it 
was turned off.    So being an electrical genius I had a kill switch 
installed.    Thus no matter what, the radio would get no power allowing 
it to chat to the car computer and drain the battery.  It works fine.  
So for those installing a "modern" radio make sure it is not one that 
"talks" to a car computer.  As to the powered antenna, a windshield one 
will do you unless you want to pick up weak stations.

Cheers

--------------F1E63F8920FF6D6C1CF6C834
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <font size="-1"><font face="Arial">Hello folks,<br>
        <br>
        This is just comments on putting a radio in an MGB.<br>
        <br>
        When I built my MGB GT V8 many years ago I did not put in a
        radio - so recently I decided to put one in.  I wanted a remote
        USB a facility and one Pioneer model offered this so I got my
        local car radio shop to put it in.   Now, I hate adverts and
        only listen to two stations.   The installed radio was great BUT
        could not pick up the two (weak) stations despite a "new all
        singing, all dancing" windscreen antenna.  Disaster.  Not only
        this but my battery went flat after not using the car for a few
        days.  A nasty problem as electrical leaks are hard to
        diagnose.  For the weak stations problem the Radio shop advised
        a powered antenna - so I bought one from Retro Manufacturing -
        the lasts small one they had that would fit in the rear of the
        MGB - lucky.   Mounting the powered antenna was awkward
        especially as the install instructions were WRONG.  After
        installation it worked fine - weak stations no problem.   But
        battery flattening continued !!!!   Then radio man <i>thought </i>that
        modern radios had facilities that connected them to "modern" car
        computers and thus the drain as the radio would keep "on" and
        chatting even when it was turned off.    So being an electrical
        genius I had a kill switch installed.    Thus no matter what,
        the radio would get no power allowing it to chat to the car
        computer and drain the battery.  It works fine.  So for those
        installing a "modern" radio make sure it is not one that "talks"
        to a car computer.  As to the powered antenna, a windshield one
        will do you unless you want to pick up weak stations.<br>
        <br>
        Cheers<br>
      </font></font>
  </body>
</html>

--------------F1E63F8920FF6D6C1CF6C834--

--===============8209760371571408276==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============8209760371571408276==--