Subject: Re: [Mgs] Sourcing radiator hoses

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 15:40:01 +0100 HCMxvzaeX92zHtlhiMT28W6EhGD5TbCjOEtOsudBrekC6wFMvagFocnQULVqtr4lZFV7BiCPFduZ9Dm0YLmNTL5kyAuxMb7xqIs=

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============8028686776070287340==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0019_01D5626D.D96D8B90"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01D5626D.D96D8B90
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Unless you have a radiator cap that has a higher rated pressure than it =
should have, or it is faulty, then the split hose is simply down to poor =
quality.  Nothing to do with air, if you didn't get all of that out and =
coolant was boiling it should simply vent any excess pressure from the =
cap.  According to Clausager the cap was 10lb until 1976, when it became =
13lb.  MGCs had 14lb and V8s 15lb so even those shouldn't cause a =
problem.

You could cause the coolant to boil on a perfect system if the temps =
were very high, and you used the car really hard, but that would show on =
the temp gauge.  However I have found that if the coolant level drops =
for any reason, that DOESN'T show on the gauge.

Getting all the air out should need nothing more than filling the system =
and first engine run with the nose slightly higher than the rear, and =
the heater valve opened.  Once that has percolated round and you allow =
it to cool and top up as necessary, any remaining air should work its =
way into the rad (expansion tank on 77 and later) over the next couple =
of heat/cool cycles (normal driving) where you can keep an eye on level.

However the thermostat can cause a major problem with getting enough =
coolant in.  They should have a vent, which originally consisted of a =
jiggle valve in the outer disc, or a small notch in the edge of the =
opening valve.  But some here in the UK have had neither, and they trap =
a huge amount of air.  I've had to drill a 2mm hole in the outer disc of =
one of mine.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  Upon raising the bonnet, I saw evidence of a coolant leak, and then =
found the split place in the upper radiator hose. The car's been sitting =
in my garage ever since as I haven't yet had time to deal with that.

  Is this the fault of a bad hose, or did I fail to get all of the air =
out of the system, or was it just too hot that day to safely be driving =
the car? I'm going to assume that I can still find hoses at NAPA, but =
does anyone have any suggestions about that?
------=_NextPart_000_0019_01D5626D.D96D8B90
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=EF=BB=BF<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Unless you have a radiator cap that has&nbsp;a =
higher rated=20
pressure than it should have, or it is faulty, then the split hose is =
simply=20
down to poor quality.&nbsp; Nothing to do with air, if you didn't get =
all of=20
that out and coolant was boiling it should simply vent&nbsp;any excess =
pressure=20
from the cap.&nbsp; According to Clausager the cap was 10lb until 1976, =
when it=20
became 13lb.&nbsp; MGCs had 14lb and V8s 15lb so even those shouldn't =
cause a=20
problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You could cause the coolant to boil on a perfect =
system if the=20
temps were very high, and you used the car really hard, but that would =
show on=20
the temp gauge.&nbsp; However I have found that if the coolant level =
drops for=20
any reason, that DOESN'T show on the gauge.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Getting all the air out should need nothing more =
than filling=20
the system and first engine run with the nose slightly higher than the =
rear, and=20
the heater valve opened.&nbsp; Once that has percolated round and you =
allow it=20
to cool and top up as necessary, any remaining air should work its way =
into the=20
rad (expansion tank on 77 and later) over the next couple of heat/cool =
cycles=20
(normal driving)&nbsp;where you can keep an eye on level.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>However the thermostat can cause a major problem =
with getting=20
enough coolant in.&nbsp; They should have a vent, which originally =
consisted of=20
a jiggle valve in the outer disc, or a small notch in the edge of the =
opening=20
valve.&nbsp; But some here in the UK have had neither, and they trap a =
huge=20
amount of air.&nbsp; I've had to drill a 2mm hole in the outer disc of =
one of=20
mine.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black"><BR=20
  data-mce-bogus=3D"1">&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; =
FONT-SIZE: 12pt">
  <DIV>Upon raising the bonnet, I saw evidence of a coolant leak, and =
then found=20
  the split place in the upper radiator hose. The car's been sitting in =
my=20
  garage ever since as I haven't yet had time to deal with that.</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><BR data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></DIV>
  <DIV>Is this the fault of a bad hose, or did I fail to get all of the =
air out=20
  of the system, or was it just too hot that day to safely be driving =
the car?=20
  I'm going to assume that I can still find hoses at NAPA, but does =
anyone have=20
  any suggestions about that?</DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01D5626D.D96D8B90--

--===============8028686776070287340==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============8028686776070287340==--

---

From: Charley Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 16:29:13 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4992457276766960616==
 boundary="------------C3ADD9655A0C3684291CBBF5"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------C3ADD9655A0C3684291CBBF5
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Too busy to change an upper radiator hose?  Now, that's busy! Could be a 
faulty hose, but you might want to check to see if your radiator cap is 
within spec.  Seems like I got my last hoses from CarQuest.  They're my 
best local source for LBC parts.

CR

On 9/3/2019 9:05 AM, William Killeffer via Mgs wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Recently, I did a bunch of work on the cooling system of my 1974 MGB. 
> The car has a 1971 engine and is set up to use an upper radiator hose, 
> a separate lower hose, and a brass fitting that attaches to the water 
> pump with a short length of hose and sends coolant up to the heater 
> core. The work I did included a new radiator, hoses, hose clamps, and 
> thermostat. I sourced all the items from Vicky-Brit at the end of May 
> and installed them sometime in July.
>
> The problem is that the hoses seemed a bit flimsy compared to the ones 
> I took off. Seems like the old hoses came from NAPA. I was driving the 
> car after fitting all the new parts in the early part of August, and 
> all seemed well. I thought I'd been careful to get the air out of the 
> system. We had some really hot days that month, with the heat index 
> showing up at 95+deg, but the car seemed to run well and the temp 
> gauge never got into the danger zone. I was driving it home on one of 
> those hot evenings, when I started smelling coolant not far from home. 
> I didn't see any steam, so I drove the rest of the way home, which was 
> less than a mile at that point.
>
> Upon raising the bonnet, I saw evidence of a coolant leak, and then 
> found the split place in the upper radiator hose. The car's been 
> sitting in my garage ever since as I haven't yet had time to deal with 
> that.
>
> Is this the fault of a bad hose, or did I fail to get all of the air 
> out of the system, or was it just too hot that day to safely be 
> driving the car? I'm going to assume that I can still find hoses at 
> NAPA, but does anyone have any suggestions about that?
>
> Thank you,
> -William
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--------------C3ADD9655A0C3684291CBBF5
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    Too busy to change an upper radiator hose?  Now, that's busy!  
    Could be a faulty hose, but you might want to check to see if your
    radiator cap is within spec.  Seems like I got my last hoses from
    CarQuest.  They're my best local source for LBC parts.<br>
    <br>
    CR<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/3/2019 9:05 AM, William Killeffer
      via Mgs wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:
        12pt; color: #000000">
        <div>Hello everyone,</div>
        <div><br data-mce-bogus="1">
        </div>
        <div>Recently, I did a bunch of work on the cooling system of my
          1974 MGB. The car has a 1971 engine and is set up to use an
          upper radiator hose, a separate lower hose, and a brass
          fitting that attaches to the water pump with a short length of
          hose and sends coolant up to the heater core. The work I did
          included a new radiator, hoses, hose clamps, and thermostat. I
          sourced all the items from Vicky-Brit at the end of May and
          installed them sometime in July.</div>
        <div><br data-mce-bogus="1">
        </div>
        <div>The problem is that the hoses seemed a bit flimsy compared
          to the ones I took off. Seems like the old hoses came from
          NAPA. I was driving the car after fitting all the new parts in
          the early part of August, and all seemed well. I thought I'd
          been careful to get the air out of the system. We had some
          really hot days that month, with the heat index showing up at
          95+deg, but the car seemed to run well and the temp gauge
          never got into the danger zone. I was driving it home on one
          of those hot evenings, when I started smelling coolant not far
          from home. I didn't see any steam, so I drove the rest of the
          way home, which was less than a mile at that point.</div>
        <div><br data-mce-bogus="1">
        </div>
        <div>Upon raising the bonnet, I saw evidence of a coolant leak,
          and then found the split place in the upper radiator hose. The
          car's been sitting in my garage ever since as I haven't yet
          had time to deal with that.</div>
        <div><br data-mce-bogus="1">
        </div>
        <div>Is this the fault of a bad hose, or did I fail to get all
          of the air out of the system, or was it just too hot that day
          to safely be driving the car? I'm going to assume that I can
          still find hoses at NAPA, but does anyone have any suggestions
          about that?</div>
        <div><br data-mce-bogus="1">
        </div>
        <div>Thank you,</div>
        <div>-William</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------C3ADD9655A0C3684291CBBF5--

--===============4992457276766960616==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4992457276766960616==--