Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA brakes

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 16:11:43 +0100 bygYuz/FelbHCZV9lNNElLsK5si3Q/diTxhYSxyAWw5S+YatyrFiiqTOTArZ/8pL263J8LZZUiF7ug==

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============4777586799010440898==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0090_01D547BA.A53B1720"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0090_01D547BA.A53B1720
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

When you say 'failed' I presume you mean the pedal went to the floor?  =
Or at least much further down than normal?  Or did you have a firm pedal =
but poor retardation? =20

Pedal to the floor is unlikely to be hoses, they either burst and stay =
burst, or develop a flap internally that stops that brake (or both rears =
assuming the same as the MGB) from coming off or going on.  If a caliper =
hose it will cause either severe dragging or strong pulling to one side.

Pedal to the floor is either pressure seal failure or air, but air is =
unlikely to come and go.  I've had an MGB clutch master that did much =
the same and it turned out to be the spreader behind the pressure seal =
with a chunk broken away, causing the seal to cock in the bore =
intermittently.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  =20
  Took it out for a test, and the brakes work pretty well, driving =
perhaps a mile with numerous application of the brakes, just once, the =
brakes pretty much failed and I had to pump it quite a bit.  Then they =
worked fine again just fine for the rest of the test drive.  Car sat for =
about an hour, then I took it out again for another test drive.  Exactly =
the same - brakes worked great except just once it was like they failed, =
but after a good bit of pumping they came back up and I drove it back =
in, testing the brakes numerous times with good results.

  =20

  We don't know how old the hoses are; that's my next item to replace.

------=_NextPart_000_0090_01D547BA.A53B1720
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:v =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Calibri;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
A:link {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: windowtext; mso-style-type: =
personal-compose
}
.MsoChpDefault {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.WordSection1 {
	page: WordSection1
}
</STYLE>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US link=3D#0563c1 bgColor=3D#ffffff vLink=3D#954f72>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>When you say 'failed' I presume you mean the pedal =
went to the=20
floor?&nbsp; Or at least much further down than normal?&nbsp; Or =
did&nbsp;you=20
have a firm pedal but&nbsp;poor retardation?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Pedal to the floor is unlikely to be hoses, they =
either burst=20
and stay burst, or develop a flap internally that stops that brake (or =
both=20
rears assuming the same as the MGB) from coming off or going on.&nbsp; =
If a=20
caliper hose it will&nbsp;cause either severe dragging or&nbsp;strong =
pulling to=20
one side.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Pedal to the floor is either pressure seal failure =
or air, but=20
air is unlikely to come and go.&nbsp; I've had an MGB&nbsp;clutch master =
that=20
did much the same and it turned out to be the spreader behind the =
pressure seal=20
with a chunk broken away, causing the seal to cock in the bore=20
intermittently.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DWordSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Took it out for a test, and the brakes work =
pretty well,=20
  driving perhaps a mile with numerous application of the brakes, just =
once, the=20
  brakes pretty much failed and I had to pump it quite a bit.&nbsp; Then =
they=20
  worked fine again just fine for the rest of the test drive.&nbsp; Car =
sat for=20
  about an hour, then I took it out again for another test drive.&nbsp; =
Exactly=20
  the same =96 brakes worked great except just once it was like they =
failed, but=20
  after a good bit of pumping they came back up and I drove it back in, =
testing=20
  the brakes numerous times with good results.<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>We don=92t know how old the hoses are; that=92s =
my next item to=20
  replace.<o:p></o:p></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0090_01D547BA.A53B1720--

--===============4777586799010440898==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============4777586799010440898==--