Subject: Re: [Mgs] 1978 MGB

From: dave via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 20:20:51 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============6754039467477101621==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000A_01D51D6E.80CC2C10"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01D51D6E.80CC2C10
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

The only way to get it restarted is to wait.

=20

Its all pretty stock although I have replaced the fuel pump.  Tomorrow =
my mechanic is going to rebuild the carb.

=20

From: Richard Ewald <[email-masked]>=20
Sent: Friday, June 7, 2019 8:13 PM
To: dave <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 1978 MGB

=20

After it dies what do you do to get it restarted?

Does it still have the stock carb?  Stock fuel pump?  Ignition system?

Rick

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 7, 2019, at 3:44 PM, dave via Mgs <[email-masked] =

After a short hiatus, I am back trying to figure this thing out.

=20

Starts when cold, no problem.  runs at 2500 to 3000 rpm no problem.

=20

Let it go down to 1000 or so and it dies.  Will not restart.

=20

Fuel is flowing.

Spark on all 4 cylinders according to my spark testing tool

Starter fluid accomplishes nothing

No signs of flooding =E2=80=93 no gas smell, plugs are neither oily nor =
gassy, no gas pouring into carb

=20

This has the water choke.  Could that be the problem?

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01D51D6E.80CC2C10
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.msonormal0, li.msonormal0, div.msonormal0
	{mso-style-name:msonormal;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The only way to get it restarted is to =
wait.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Its all pretty stock although I have replaced the fuel =
pump.=C2=A0 Tomorrow my mechanic is going to rebuild the =
carb.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> Richard Ewald =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, June 7, 2019 =
8:13 PM<br><b>To:</b> dave &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Subject:</b> =
Re: [Mgs] 1978 MGB<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>After it =
dies what do you do to get it restarted?<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Does it still have the stock carb? &nbsp;Stock fuel =
pump? &nbsp;Ignition system?<o:p></o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Rick<o:p></o:p></p><div =
id=3DAppleMailSignature><p class=3DMsoNormal>Sent from my =
iPhone<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><br>On Jun 7, 2019, at 3:44 PM, dave via =
Mgs &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>After a short hiatus, I am back trying to figure this =
thing out.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Starts when cold, no problem.&nbsp; runs at 2500 to =
3000 rpm no problem.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Let it go =
down to 1000 or so and it dies.&nbsp; Will not restart.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Fuel is =
flowing.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Spark on all 4 cylinders =
according to my spark testing tool<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Starter fluid accomplishes nothing<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>No signs of flooding =E2=80=93 no gas smell, plugs are =
neither oily nor gassy, no gas pouring into carb<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>This has the =
water choke.&nbsp; Could that be the =
problem?<o:p></o:p></p></div></blockquote><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>_______________________________________________<br><br>=
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>Donate: =
<a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html<=
/a><br>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75<br><br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/=
mgs</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><=
br><br>Unsubscribe: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]=
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a><o=
:p></o:p></p></div></blockquote></div></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_000A_01D51D6E.80CC2C10--

--===============6754039467477101621==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============6754039467477101621==--

---

From: "Osborne, Paul via Mgs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2019 03:11:20 +0000

--===============2765630642958950791==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_B864E5AF25534B468E529C590EEAF230urrochesteredu_"

--_000_B864E5AF25534B468E529C590EEAF230urrochesteredu_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_B864E5AF25534B468E529C590EEAF230urrochesteredu_
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_B864E5AF25534B468E529C590EEAF230urrochesteredu_--

--===============2765630642958950791==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2765630642958950791==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2019 10:07:04 +0100 s28MsdoT1YuRxzqBm5hMS9+Vd7Rm6/13cpzHtQQnA+fZhjJ58Ai22s2Xswr78lgQ9L1Zb/dWt68hTg==

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============7242591401845480221==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_001F_01D51DE1.EC5F3FD0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01D51DE1.EC5F3FD0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

If the plugs aren't fouled then I doubt it is the choke stuck open, but =
you could check that with a Colortune in from cold.  It could still be =
the choke though in that when that warms and removes the fast idle the =
normal idle screw is not open enough to maintain the engine.  Are you =
warm starting giving it a little throttle with the pedal?  Or just =
cranking feet off?  IME they need a little throttle when warm, but not =
cold when the choke is activated.

When it is left to get cold and you turn on the ignition again and it =
starts, does the fuel pump chatter away or just click a couple of times =
- that's if you have an SU or equivalent pump?

"no gas pouring into carb" do you mean no gas is pouring out of the carb =
overflow?  When it won't restart switch off and take the fuel delivery =
pipe off the carb and you should get a spurt of fuel.  If not direct the =
pipe into a container and switch on again, and you should get at least =
one Imperial pint per minute and in practice double that, in a =
continuous series of pulses with minimal bubbling.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  =20
  Starts when cold, no problem.  runs at 2500 to 3000 rpm no problem.

  =20

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01D51DE1.EC5F3FD0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:v =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Calibri;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
A:link {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: windowtext; mso-style-type: =
personal-compose
}
.MsoChpDefault {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.WordSection1 {
	page: WordSection1
}
</STYLE>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US link=3D#0563c1 bgColor=3D#ffffff vLink=3D#954f72>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If the plugs aren't fouled then I doubt it is the =
choke stuck=20
open, but you could check that with a Colortune in from cold.&nbsp; It =
could=20
still be the choke though in that when that warms and removes the fast =
idle the=20
normal idle screw is not open enough to maintain the =
engine.&nbsp;&nbsp;Are you=20
warm starting giving it a little throttle&nbsp;with the pedal?&nbsp; Or =
just=20
cranking feet off?&nbsp; IME they need a little throttle when warm, but =
not cold=20
when the choke is activated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>When it is left to get cold and you turn on the =
ignition again=20
and it starts, does the fuel pump chatter away or just click a couple of =
times -=20
that's if you have an SU or equivalent pump?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>"no gas pouring into carb" do you mean no gas is =
pouring out=20
of the carb overflow?&nbsp; When it won't restart switch off and take =
the fuel=20
delivery pipe off the carb and you should get a spurt of fuel.&nbsp; If =
not=20
direct the pipe into a container and switch on again, and you should get =
at=20
least one Imperial pint per minute and in practice double that, in a =
continuous=20
series of pulses with&nbsp;minimal bubbling.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DWordSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Starts when cold, no problem.&nbsp; runs at 2500 =
to 3000=20
  rpm no problem.<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Let it go down to 1000 or so and it dies.&nbsp; =
Will not=20
  restart.<o:p></o:p></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01D51DE1.EC5F3FD0--

--===============7242591401845480221==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7242591401845480221==--