Subject: Re: [Mgs] PCV question

From: Max Heim via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 15:17:43 -0700

--===============8352104981958294934==
 boundary="Apple-Mail=_C2B4E3E9-8751-4E1F-AFD5-8882F4F61D75"

--Apple-Mail=_C2B4E3E9-8751-4E1F-AFD5-8882F4F61D75
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

I think your problem is that the valve cover pipe does not run through a =
PCV valve. A pre-67 doesn=E2=80=99t have a pipe from the valve cover. I =
would try running a Y-junction, bringing both hoses together before =
running into the PCV, to simulate the early configuration.

--
Max Heim
[email-masked]

> On Jun 3, 2019, at 3:09 PM, dannyvarnado--- via Mgs =
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> Hi all,
> I have a =E2=80=9974 MBG engine with a =E2=80=9964 through =E2=80=9967 =
PCV valve on the manifold and connected to the front cover breather =
pipe.  I have a hose running from the valve cover pipe to the air =
cleaner.
> Seems to work fine for daily around town driving.  My problem occurs =
when traveling at 65 mph sustained speed for about 100 miles.=20
> The problem is I blow out about half a quart of oil from somewhere =
mid-engine or back on the passenger side.  I can=E2=80=99t find any =
obvious place that the oil is coming from but it seems to be =
concentrated near the starter.
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Danny
> =20
> _______________________________________________
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html =
<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs =
<http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs> http://autox.team.net/archive =
<http://autox.team.net/archive>
>=20
> Unsubscribe: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked] =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]>

--Apple-Mail=_C2B4E3E9-8751-4E1F-AFD5-8882F4F61D75
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D"">I think your problem is that the valve cover pipe does not =
run through a PCV valve. A pre-67 doesn=E2=80=99t have a pipe from the =
valve cover. I would try running a Y-junction, bringing both hoses =
together before running into the PCV, to simulate the early =
configuration.<div class=3D""><br class=3D""><div class=3D"">
<div class=3D"">--</div><div class=3D"">Max Heim</div><div class=3D""><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a></div><div=
 class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline">

</div>
<br class=3D""><div><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Jun 3, 2019, at 3:09 PM, dannyvarnado--- via Mgs &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><div =
class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: WordSection1; font-family: =
Verdana; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><div style=3D"margin: =
0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" =
class=3D"">Hi all,<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in =
0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" =
class=3D"">I have a =E2=80=9974 MBG engine with a =E2=80=9964 through =
=E2=80=9967 PCV valve on the manifold and connected to the front cover =
breather pipe.&nbsp; I have a hose running from the valve cover pipe to =
the air cleaner.<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in =
0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" =
class=3D"">Seems to work fine for daily around town driving.&nbsp; My =
problem occurs when traveling at 65 mph sustained speed for about 100 =
miles.<span class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><o:p =
class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">The =
problem is I blow out about half a quart of oil from somewhere =
mid-engine or back on the passenger side.&nbsp; I can=E2=80=99t find any =
obvious place that the oil is coming from but it seems to be =
concentrated near the starter.<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: =
Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">Any suggestions?<o:p =
class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">Thanks,<o:p=
 class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">Danny<o:p =
class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D""><o:p =
class=3D"">&nbsp;</o:p></div></div><span style=3D"font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: =
inline !important;" =
class=3D"">_______________________________________________</span><br =
style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><br=
 style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: rgb(149, 79, 114); =
text-decoration: underline; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br =
style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">Donate:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"color: rgb(149, 79, =
114); text-decoration: underline; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br style=3D"font-family: =
Verdana; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Suggested annual donation =
&nbsp;$12.75</span><br style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><br style=3D"font-family: =
Verdana; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs" style=3D"color: rgb(149, 79, =
114); text-decoration: underline; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a><span =
style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D""><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" style=3D"color: rgb(149, 79, =
114); text-decoration: underline; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br style=3D"font-family: =
Verdana; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><br =
style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">Unsubscribe:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color: rgb(149, 79, 114); text-decoration: underline; =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a><=
/div></blockquote></div><br class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_C2B4E3E9-8751-4E1F-AFD5-8882F4F61D75--

--===============8352104981958294934==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============8352104981958294934==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 08:34:04 +0100 lX4JMaXndHokxN3VDdq7pkpABp7ErJD8ymc8YPrWu2vSsrj4Yi5r7EYEuq5bqeFU6j8FF47ik1DvdiLSFYyCkwZN+TZW+dp9+xc=

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============3856657907327439863==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_008F_01D51AB0.44DF9F90"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_008F_01D51AB0.44DF9F90
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You are describing two types of crankcase breathing, which should not =
exist on the same car.

The first from inception to Feb 64 used a hose from the rocker cover to =
the front air cleaner.

The second from then to Oct 68 used a PCV valve on the inlet manifold =
with a hose going to the front tappet chest cover.

The Y-connector Max talks about was only used after that when the tappet =
chest cover was plumbed to both carbs in place of the PCV valve.

But oil loss on the starter side won't be anything to do with that =
anyway.  More likely to be something to do with the filter/filter head =
perhaps a seal blowing under higher oil pressures and hotter oil, oil =
cooler connections if present, or oil gauge connection.  The latter is =
right above the starter of course, but at speed oil is going to be blown =
back anyway.  Could also be rocker cover.  Stuff that side of the engine =
with balled-up newspaper and that may help to localise the source.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  I have a '74 MBG engine with a '64 through '67 PCV valve on the =
manifold and connected to the front cover breather pipe.  I have a hose =
running from the valve cover pipe to the air cleaner.
  Seems to work fine for daily around town driving.  My problem occurs =
when traveling at 65 mph sustained speed for about 100 miles.=20

  The problem is I blow out about half a quart of oil from somewhere =
mid-engine or back on the passenger side.  I can't find any obvious =
place that the oil is coming from but it seems to be concentrated near =
the starter.

------=_NextPart_000_008F_01D51AB0.44DF9F90
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:v =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Calibri;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
A:link {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: windowtext; mso-style-type: =
personal-compose
}
.MsoChpDefault {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.WordSection1 {
	page: WordSection1
}
</STYLE>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US link=3D#0563c1 bgColor=3D#ffffff vLink=3D#954f72>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You are describing two types of crankcase breathing, =
which=20
should not exist on the same car.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The first from inception to Feb 64 used a hose from =
the rocker=20
cover to the front air cleaner.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The second from then to Oct 68 used a PCV valve on =
the inlet=20
manifold with a hose going to the front tappet chest cover.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The Y-connector Max talks about was only used after =
that when=20
the tappet chest cover was plumbed to both carbs in place of the PCV=20
valve.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>But oil loss on the starter side won't be anything =
to do with=20
that anyway.&nbsp; More likely to be something to do with the =
filter/filter head=20
perhaps a seal blowing under higher oil pressures and hotter oil, oil =
cooler=20
connections if present, or oil gauge connection.&nbsp; The latter is =
right above=20
the starter of course, but at speed oil is going to be blown back =
anyway.&nbsp;=20
Could also be rocker cover.&nbsp; Stuff that side of the engine with =
balled-up=20
newspaper and that may help to localise the source.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black">I have a=20
  =9274 MBG engine with a =9264 through =9267 PCV valve on the manifold =
and connected=20
  to the front cover breather pipe.&nbsp; I have a hose running from the =
valve=20
  cover pipe to the air cleaner.<o:p></o:p></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DWordSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Seems to work fine for daily around town =
driving.&nbsp; My=20
  problem occurs when traveling at 65 mph sustained speed for about 100 =
miles.=20
  <o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>The problem is I blow out about half a quart of =
oil from=20
  somewhere mid-engine or back on the passenger side.&nbsp; I can=92t =
find any=20
  obvious place that the oil is coming from but it seems to be =
concentrated near=20
  the starter.<o:p></o:p></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_008F_01D51AB0.44DF9F90--

--===============3856657907327439863==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3856657907327439863==--