Subject: Re: [Mgs] Carbs still being nasty

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 08:49:40 -0000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============0088101788747733507==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_006A_01D24ED4.8473A390"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_006A_01D24ED4.8473A390
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Have you proved the overflow/vent pipes are blocked?

With the float valve upside down it will never shut off the fuel, and =
that in itself can cause fuel to bubble up through the jet.

Your car is definitely suffering from DPO syndrome, what ever the 'P' =
stands for.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  =20
  I definitely have plugged overflow tubes.

  At least one of the valves (the front one) had the valve needle upside =
down: the rubber tip was headed down not up.

------=_NextPart_000_006A_01D24ED4.8473A390
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:v =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Calibri;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
A:link {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: windowtext; mso-style-type: =
personal-compose
}
.MsoChpDefault {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.WordSection1 {
	page: WordSection1
}
</STYLE>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US link=3D#0563c1 bgColor=3D#ffffff vLink=3D#954f72>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Have you proved the overflow/vent pipes are=20
blocked?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>With the&nbsp;float valve upside down it will never =
shut off=20
the fuel, and that in itself can cause fuel to bubble up through the=20
jet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Your car is definitely suffering from DPO syndrome, =
what ever=20
the 'P' stands for.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DWordSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>I definitely have plugged overflow =
tubes.<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>At least one of the valves (the front one) had =
the valve=20
  needle upside down: the rubber tip was headed down not=20
up.<o:p></o:p></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_006A_01D24ED4.8473A390--

--===============0088101788747733507==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============0088101788747733507==--

---

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 09:45:54 -0800

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============1378983108743148101==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_04F0_01D24EDC.5FB6C1B0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_04F0_01D24EDC.5FB6C1B0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Well, I took an air compressor to the bottom end of the tub and couldn't get
any air through the tube.

As to the valve: the manual and I think Moss show the rubber down which hits
the lever, leaving the brass to close against the valve hole at the top. I
thought to myself, that is kind of dumb: why make the rubber tip crush
against lever metal and brass against a small hole. Brass against lever and
rubber against open hole makes far more sense.

As to DPO, my understanding would be Previous.

Clayton

From: PaulHunt73 [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 5, 2016 12:50 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Carbs still being nasty

With the float valve upside down it will never shut off the fuel, and that
in itself can cause fuel to bubble up through the jet.

Your car is definitely suffering from DPO syndrome, what ever the 'P' stands
for.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

At least one of the valves (the front one) had the valve needle upside down:
the rubber tip was headed down not up.

------=_NextPart_000_04F0_01D24EDC.5FB6C1B0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.msonormal0, li.msonormal0, div.msonormal0
	{mso-style-name:msonormal;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body bgcolor=3Dwhite =
lang=3DEN-US link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>Well, I took an air compressor =
to the bottom end of the tub and couldn&#8217;t get any air through the =
tube.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>As to the valve: the manual and I think Moss show the =
rubber down which hits the lever, leaving the brass to close against the =
valve hole at the top. I thought to myself, that is kind of dumb: why =
make the rubber tip crush against lever metal and brass against a small =
hole. Brass against lever and rubber against open hole makes far more =
sense.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>As to DPO, my understanding would be =
Previous.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Clayton<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> PaulHunt73 =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> Monday, December 5, =
2016 12:50 AM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]; =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Mgs] Carbs still being =
nasty<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'>Have you proved the overflow/vent pipes are =
blocked?</span><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'>With the&nbsp;float valve upside down it will never shut =
off the fuel, and that in itself can cause fuel to bubble up through the =
jet.</span><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'>Your car is definitely suffering from DPO syndrome, what =
ever the 'P' stands for.</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'>PaulH.</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><blockquote =
style=3D'border:none;border-left:solid black 1.5pt;padding:0in 0in 0in =
4.0pt;margin-left:3.75pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:=
5.0pt'><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>----- Original =
Message ----- <o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:#E4E4E4'><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p></div><p class=3DMsoNormal>I definitely have plugged =
overflow tubes.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>At least one of the =
valves (the front one) had the valve needle upside down: the rubber tip =
was headed down not up.<o:p></o:p></p></blockquote></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_04F0_01D24EDC.5FB6C1B0--

--===============1378983108743148101==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1378983108743148101==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 09:04:57 -0000

--===============7278802753958553588==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0081_01D24F9F.D0EFB350"

------=_NextPart_000_0081_01D24F9F.D0EFB350
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Do we know what year this car is?  Which SUs or Stromberg?

If you have the charcoal canister then it's possible for that to get =
choked, and there is plenty of pipe-work to get blocked and cause =
problems as well.

If you are talking about the float valve there should be a sprung metal =
pin at the bottom that the float lever bears on.  The tip was originally =
brass and conical going into a circular chamfered seat, later changed to =
Viton which is typically black or red, but still conical, see here =
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/fvalve.htm#1  My manuals don't show what you =
describe, but Moss Europe for the HIF does seem to show the moving part =
of the valve upside down relative to the float, but the HS is the right =
way up.  It's not possible to tell from the US Moss site which way up =
they are in either HS or HIF.  That's not to say that someone hasn't =
installed a really rubbish copy.

PaulH.

  Well, I took an air compressor to the bottom end of the tub and =
couldn't get any air through the tube.

  =20

  As to the valve: the manual and I think Moss show the rubber down =
which hits the lever, leaving the brass to close against the valve hole =
at the top.

------=_NextPart_000_0081_01D24F9F.D0EFB350
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:v =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Calibri;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
A:link {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
P.msonormal0 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman",serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: =
12pt; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; mso-style-name: msonormal; mso-margin-top-alt: =
auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto
}
LI.msonormal0 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman",serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: =
12pt; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; mso-style-name: msonormal; mso-margin-top-alt: =
auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto
}
DIV.msonormal0 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman",serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: =
12pt; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; mso-style-name: msonormal; mso-margin-top-alt: =
auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto
}
SPAN.EmailStyle18 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: windowtext; mso-style-type: =
personal
}
SPAN.EmailStyle19 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: windowtext; mso-style-type: =
personal-reply
}
.MsoChpDefault {
	FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.WordSection1 {
	page: WordSection1
}
</STYLE>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US link=3D#0563c1 bgColor=3Dwhite vLink=3D#954f72>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Do we know what year this car is?&nbsp; Which SUs or =

Stromberg?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If you have the charcoal canister then it's possible for that to =
get=20
choked, and there is plenty of pipe-work to get blocked and cause =
problems as=20
well.</DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If you are talking about the float valve there =
should be a=20
sprung metal pin at the bottom that the float lever bears on.&nbsp; The =
tip was=20
originally brass and conical going into a circular chamfered seat, later =
changed=20
to Viton which is typically black or red, but still conical, see here <A =

href=3D"http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/fvalve.htm#1">http://www.mgb-stuff.or=
g.uk/fvalve.htm#1</A>&nbsp;=20
My manuals don't show what you describe, but Moss Europe for the HIF =
does seem=20
to show the moving part of the valve upside down relative to the float, =
but the=20
HS is the right way up.&nbsp; It's not possible to tell from the&nbsp;US =
Moss=20
site which way up they are in either HS or HIF.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT =
size=3D2>That's=20
not to say that someone hasn't installed a really rubbish =
copy.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV class=3DWordSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Well, I took an air compressor to the bottom end =
of the tub=20
  and couldn=92t get any air through the tube.<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>As to the valve: the manual and I think Moss show =
the=20
  rubber down which hits the lever, leaving the brass to close against =
the valve=20
  hole at the top.</P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0081_01D24F9F.D0EFB350--

--===============7278802753958553588==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7278802753958553588==--