Subject: [Mgs] Carbs still being nasty

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 14:31:43 -0800

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============4863091058173096042==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_03CE_01D24984.242E98F0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_03CE_01D24984.242E98F0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hey thanks Bob for the specific help. Go to autox.team.net and change your
email there. The piston drops just fine with a good clank. When the piston
drops with it inside the pot is when I get problems. It goes all the way
down except but the last little bit. Sometimes the piston is hard to lift
but the moves fine. I have no oil in at all.

To add to this, I started having gas bubbling out the jet. I checked the
float bowl and it was drained. It seemed like the gas hadn't even come in
through valve and the float was at the bottom and dry. I checked in water
and it was buoyant and only had a small piece of solder inside. I am waiting
for a new one all the same.

When it rains, it pours.

Also, when I've been able to get it running at around 900, it slowly drops
and dies unless I goose the throttle.

Clayton

------=_NextPart_000_03CE_01D24984.242E98F0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Hey thanks Bob for the specific help. Go to =
autox.team.net and change your email there. The piston drops just fine =
with a good clank. When the piston drops with it inside the pot is when =
I get problems. It goes all the way down except but the last little bit. =
Sometimes the piston is hard to lift but the moves fine. I have no oil =
in at all.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>To add to this, I started having gas bubbling out the =
jet. I checked the float bowl and it was drained. It seemed like the gas =
hadn&#8217;t even come in through valve and the float was at the bottom =
and dry. I checked in water and it was buoyant and only had a small =
piece of solder inside. I am waiting for a new one all the =
same.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>When it rains, it pours.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Also, when =
I&#8217;ve been able to get it running at around 900, it slowly drops =
and dies unless I goose the throttle.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Clayton<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_03CE_01D24984.242E98F0--

--===============4863091058173096042==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============4863091058173096042==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 12:56:09 -0000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============1264113433156808024==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00C8_01D24A3F.F4646160"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00C8_01D24A3F.F4646160
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I've been having posting to and receiving messages from MGS lately, but =
got this, so here goes:

If you have HS cabs then if the jet has not been centred correctly the =
piston won't fully descend, which can cause stalling.

Wind the jet down as far as it can go and see if that allows the piston =
to fully fall.  If it does not, then there is another problem such as a =
bent needle, piston binding against the cover, etc.

If the piston fully drops with the piston lowered, then wind the jet up =
to be flush with the bridge while you recentre the jet, then you can be =
sure that with the jet wound back down to its normal running position it =
will be clear.

Jet will bubble up out of the jet, with the ignition on, if the =
vent/overflow plumbing is blocked.  This goes via the charcoal canister =
if that is what you have.

The idle with HS carbs (unlike HIF carbs) will gradually fall if left =
idling long enough, like several minutes.  But if it drops sooner than =
that try pressing the butterfly cams onto the idle screws as soon as you =
release the throttle, and see if that makes it idle lower straight away. =
 If it does then the butterflies aren't returning fully, which could be =
them binding in the carb throat, insufficient return spring pressure, =
binding linkages, insufficient free-play on the throttle cable, etc.

PaulH.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  The piston drops just fine with a good clank. When the piston drops =
with it inside the pot is when I get problems. It goes all the way down =
except but the last little bit....
------=_NextPart_000_00C8_01D24A3F.F4646160
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:v =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Calibri;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
A:link {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: windowtext; mso-style-type: =
personal-compose
}
.MsoChpDefault {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.WordSection1 {
	page: WordSection1
}
</STYLE>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US link=3D#0563c1 bgColor=3D#ffffff vLink=3D#954f72>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I've been having posting to and receiving messages =
from MGS=20
lately, but got this, so here goes:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If you have HS cabs then if the jet has not been =
centred=20
correctly the piston won't fully descend, which can cause =
stalling.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Wind the jet down as far as it can go and see if =
that allows=20
the piston to fully fall.&nbsp; If it does not, then there is another =
problem=20
such as a bent needle, piston binding against the cover, =
etc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If the piston fully drops with the piston lowered, =
then=20
w</FONT><FONT size=3D2>ind the jet up to be flush with the bridge while =
you=20
recentre the jet, then you can be sure that with the jet wound back down =
to its=20
normal running position it will be clear.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Jet will bubble up out of the jet, with the ignition =
on, if=20
the vent/overflow plumbing is blocked.&nbsp; This goes via the charcoal =
canister=20
if that is what you have.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The idle with HS carbs (unlike HIF carbs) will =
gradually fall=20
if left idling long enough, like several minutes.&nbsp; But if it drops =
sooner=20
than that try pressing the butterfly cams onto the idle screws as soon =
as you=20
release the throttle, and see if that makes it idle lower straight =
away.&nbsp;=20
If it does then the butterflies aren't returning fully, which could be =
them=20
binding in the carb throat, insufficient return spring pressure, binding =

linkages, insufficient&nbsp;free-play on the throttle cable, =
etc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message =
-----&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>The piston drops just fine with a good clank. When the piston =
drops with=20
  it inside the pot is when I get problems. It goes all the way down =
except but=20
  the last little bit....</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00C8_01D24A3F.F4646160--

--===============1264113433156808024==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1264113433156808024==--