Subject: [Mgs] Clutch master cylinder

From: Elliottmg via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 16:21:57 -0500

Yesterday I started to work on the clutch master cylinder for my project car and ran into a problem.  The car is a 1971 MGB and the cylinder is an unmarked Lockheed (no circles or stripes).  The rebuild kit is Moss 180-965.  The new spring plus the new piston plus the push rod will not fit into the cylinder. It isn't even close -- Probably a half Inch too long with the spring fully compressed. When I looked into the cylinder I can see something rubbery at the bottom end of the cylinder down by the reservoir. Should there be anything rubbery down there?  If not, could an old seal be stuck in the cylinder?  Thanks for your help.
Elliott in Maryland
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: David Councill via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 07:32:38 -0800

Since I have my own question related to clutch hydraulics, I will answer
this one first and then post my question in another email. But in short,
there should be nothing rubbery. There is a plastic piece that fits on the
back of the spring and all that should sit on the back of the bore. The
rubbery piece is probably the 1/2" you refer to.

David Councill
64 MGB
67 MGBGT
72 MGB
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Mgs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Elliottmg via Mgs
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2016 1:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mgs] Clutch master cylinder

Yesterday I started to work on the clutch master cylinder for my project car
and ran into a problem.  The car is a 1971 MGB and the cylinder is an
unmarked Lockheed (no circles or stripes).  The rebuild kit is Moss 180-965.
The new spring plus the new piston plus the push rod will not fit into the
cylinder. It isn't even close -- Probably a half Inch too long with the
spring fully compressed. When I looked into the cylinder I can see something
rubbery at the bottom end of the cylinder down by the reservoir. Should
there be anything rubbery down there?  If not, could an old seal be stuck in
the cylinder?  Thanks for your help.
Elliott in Maryland

[email-masked]