Subject: [Mgs] demurred mga start

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 17:19:51 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============0628045442795944491==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_09CA_01D10900.08E6ABC0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_09CA_01D10900.08E6ABC0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Two things in question:

1)      How do you dispose of drained gas from the tank?

2)      Initial suggestions for determining fault in restarting my A after
draining and refilling tank and a long down time? I put my fluke meter's
spark lead clamp on and show current flowing from my coil to cap. Assuming
spark as I am an individual without a second to crank and hold plug to metal
to show spark. Cranks fast enough. Pulled choke but no smell of gas even if
pumping pedal (don't know if this is a pumping carb). Pump runs and finally
shuts off. Cracked the fuel line and have adequate pressure and gas flow.
All leads me to believe that carb bowl is dirty or jets stuck, but I thought
I'd check with the experts.

TIA,

Clayton

------=_NextPart_000_09CA_01D10900.08E6ABC0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	margin-top:0in;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:.5in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:1336541302;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:-1154426908 67698705 67698713 67698715 67698703 =
67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-text:"%1\)";
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level2
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level3
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
@list l0:level4
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level5
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level6
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
@list l0:level7
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level8
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level9
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Two things in question:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo1'><![if !supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>1)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>How do you dispose of drained gas from the =
tank?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>2)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>Initial suggestions for determining fault in =
restarting my A after draining and refilling tank and a long down time? =
I put my fluke meter&#8217;s spark lead clamp on and show current =
flowing from my coil to cap. Assuming spark as I am an individual =
without a second to crank and hold plug to metal to show spark. Cranks =
fast enough. Pulled choke but no smell of gas even if pumping pedal =
(don&#8217;t know if this is a pumping carb). Pump runs and finally =
shuts off. Cracked the fuel line and have adequate pressure and gas =
flow. All leads me to believe that carb bowl is dirty or jets stuck, but =
I thought I&#8217;d check with the experts.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>TIA,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Clayton<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_09CA_01D10900.08E6ABC0--

--===============0628045442795944491==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============0628045442795944491==--

---

From: Eric J Russell via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 20:16:02 -0400

> 1)      How do you dispose of drained gas from the tank?

How old is it? Does it smell like gasoline or like old turpentine or cat 
pee?

If it is not too old and smells like gas, put a gallon or two at a time into 
your other car's nearly full tank. This dilutes the old gas with the fresh 
gas and it'll burn fine. If it is really old and smells bad, try to find a 
hazard waste disposal tank.

> 2)    Assuming spark as I am an individual without a second to crank...

On the MGA it is easy to activate the starter from under the hood. The dash 
knob pulls a cable that goes to a heavy duty switch on the right side frame 
rail a few inches forward of the horizontal firewall shelf. You can manually 
pull the cable end to operate the starter motor.

I would not assume spark. Test to be sure. A car that has sat unused for a 
long while likely needs the points cleaned and the gap set. They can oxadize 
from long disuse.

> (don't know if this is a pumping carb).

It is not a 'pumping' carb. The original carbs are SU H4. If the motor has 
been replaced with an MGB unit it might have SU HS4 (very similar to the H4) 
or HIF4 (similar but the "I-F" stands for Internal Float which is built into 
the carb body). At any rate, pumping the gas pedal on any of these carbs 
does nothing. Make sure the choke cable is actually moving the jets (under 
the carbs if H4 or HS4). And also make sure the jets return to 'off' when 
the choke is released.

Lots of info on Barney Gaylord's website. www.MGAguru.com - go to the Tech 
Index and use the search box to find a page about starting a long dormant 
engine.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC 

[email-masked]