Subject: [Mgs] Leaking speedometer cable fitting.

From: Donald Joseph Toy via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 06:13:36 -0400

Sages of the list, 
In the past i have had a problem, like most T series owners, with the wild fluctuations of my speedometer.I had pulled the original cable and found a fairly large kink in it. I did some vise clamping and some gentle persuasion on the cable jacket and returned it to a roundish shape. however this didn’t help the problem. I ordered the non original cable from Moss which is a sealed cable with a plastic jacket. I finally had a semi decent speedometer reading.  Then we started to notice that drips of oil were coming out of the top of the cable nearest the speedometer, followed by my speedometer going all the way up and sticking at the top speed. (no way in h3ll). Any fixes on stopping this oil from working its way up from the tranny?
Donald Joseph Toy
[email-masked]
“all great men are dead…and I’m not feeling well"

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: mgbob--- via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 12:53:35 GMT

--===============3220704942738427586==

----__JWM__J20d59ba2.70362460S.28139886M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

Hi Don,  There might be two issues here. My similar experience was that =
the tach was jumping. Original cable seemed to have slight kinking that =
I made better, but instrument still jumped. Bought and installed the Mos=
s cable, which is a current design and probably better. Instrument still=
 jumped which, it turned out, was caused by bearing in the head allowing=
 the cup to contact the rotating magnet. Once repaired, the tach read fi=
ne.  Eventually I re-installed the original cable, because to me it look=
ed better. And it dripped. Dripping might have been my doing, as I oiled=
 the cable liberally and may have not wiped it dry enough, and it could =
be that the cable is working grease up from the reduction drive on the d=
ynamo. Speedo can work it up from the gearbox.   A big drip can come fro=
m connection of oil pressure pipe to the gauge, something worth checking=
.Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Donald Joseph Toy via Mgs <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mgs] Leaking speedometer cable fitting.
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 06:13:36 -0400

Sages of the list, =

In the past i have had a problem, like most T series owners, with the wi=
ld fluctuations of my speedometer.I had pulled the original cable and fo=
und a fairly large kink in it. I did some vise clamping and some gentle =
persuasion on the cable jacket and returned it to a roundish shape. howe=
ver this didn=E2&euro;&trade;t help the problem. I ordered the non origi=
nal cable from Moss which is a sealed cable with a plastic jacket. I fin=
ally had a semi decent speedometer reading.  Then we started to notice t=
hat drips of oil were coming out of the top of the cable nearest the spe=
edometer, followed by my speedometer going all the way up and sticking a=
t the top speed. (no way in h3ll). Any fixes on stopping this oil from w=
orking its way up from the tranny?
Donald Joseph Toy
[email-masked]
=E2&euro;&oelig;all great men are dead=E2&euro;=A6and I=E2&euro;&trade;m=
 not feeling well"

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

----__JWM__J20d59ba2.70362460S.28139886M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>Hi Don,</div><div>&nbsp; There might be two issues here. My s=
imilar experience was that the tach was jumping. Original cable seemed t=
o have slight kinking that I made better, but instrument still jumped. B=
ought and installed the Moss cable, which is a current design and probab=
ly better. Instrument still jumped which, it turned out, was caused by b=
earing in the head allowing the cup to contact the rotating magnet. Once=
 repaired, the tach read fine.</div><div>&nbsp; Eventually I re-installe=
d the original cable, because to me it looked better. And it dripped. Dr=
ipping might have been my doing, as I oiled the cable liberally and may =
have not wiped it dry enough, and it could be that the cable is working =
grease up from the reduction drive on the dynamo. Speedo can work it up =
from the gearbox.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp; A big drip can come from connec=
tion of oil pressure pipe to the gauge, something worth checking.</div><=
div>Bob</div><div><br><br>---------- Original Message ----------<br>From=
: Donald Joseph Toy via Mgs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: mgs@autox.=
team.net<br>Subject: [Mgs] Leaking speedometer cable fitting.<br>Date: F=
ri, 16 Oct 2015 06:13:36 -0400<br><br>Sages of the list, <br>In the past=
 i have had a problem, like most T series owners, with the wild fluctuat=
ions of my speedometer.I had pulled the original cable and found a fairl=
y large kink in it. I did some vise clamping and some gentle persuasion =
on the cable jacket and returned it to a roundish shape. however this di=
dn&acirc;&euro;&trade;t help the problem. I ordered the non original cab=
le from Moss which is a sealed cable with a plastic jacket. I finally ha=
d a semi decent speedometer reading. &nbsp;Then we started to notice tha=
t drips of oil were coming out of the top of the cable nearest the speed=
ometer, followed by my speedometer going all the way up and sticking at =
the top speed. (no way in h3ll). Any fixes on stopping this oil from wor=
king its way up from the tranny?<br>Donald Joseph Toy<br>dontoy@comcast.=
net<br>&acirc;&euro;&oelig;all great men are dead&acirc;&euro;&brvbar;an=
d I&acirc;&euro;&trade;m not feeling well"<br><br>______________________=
_________________________<br><br>[email-masked]<br>Donate: http://ww=
w.team.net/donate.html<br>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75<br>Arch=
ive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<b=
r>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]<=
/p></html>

----__JWM__J20d59ba2.70362460S.28139886M--

--===============3220704942738427586==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3220704942738427586==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 13:52:48 +0100

I know nowt about T-types, but can it be coming up from inside the gearbox? 
Or is it just excess grease in the cable?  You say 'sealed', do you mean the 
inner can't be separated from the outer non-destructively?  If it can, then 
withdraw the inner and clean all the grease off, there should be enough left 
behind for lubrication.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Donald Joseph Toy via Mgs" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2015 11:13 AM
Subject: [Mgs] Leaking speedometer cable fitting.

> Sages of the list,
> In the past i have had a problem, like most T series owners, with the wild 
> fluctuations of my speedometer.I had pulled the original cable and found a 
> fairly large kink in it. I did some vise clamping and some gentle 
> persuasion on the cable jacket and returned it to a roundish shape. 
> however this didn’t help the problem. I ordered the non original cable 
> from Moss which is a sealed cable with a plastic jacket. I finally had a 
> semi decent speedometer reading.  Then we started to notice that drips of 
> oil were coming out of the top of the cable nearest the speedometer, 
> followed by my speedometer going all the way up and sticking at the top 
> speed. (no way in h3ll). Any fixes on stopping this oil from working its 
> way up from the tranny?
> Donald Joseph Toy
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
> 

[email-masked]