Subject: [Mgs] fuel pump difficulties

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:44:23 -0700 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0F0C_01D10CF9.AC0EDBE0"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0F0C_01D10CF9.AC0EDBE0
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0F0D_01D10CF9.AC0EDBE0"

------=_NextPart_001_0F0D_01D10CF9.AC0EDBE0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hello all. My 62 mga 1622 fuel system is sick. I've mentioned it in previous
posts and have had some great replies. I broke the floats up and what a
surprise: white goo around the float pin and lifter. The water had lots of
water in it (when it was emptied out the garage floor had water on top of
gas). I pumped it for awhile and the pump coughed and spit and kicked out  a
murky mix. I did this for some time and the kicking and spurting continued,
so I finally looked at the pump. Hopefully attached. There is the diaphragm
on the bottom which has some water in it. I couldn't find the filter, which
on, apparently, the original pump was opposite the input/output. So, does
this pump have a filter.

I cleaned up the carb. White crap on the float pin, water in the bowl (it
appears to be an HS4), and just clearly polluted. It seems the pump is not
running properly. The seals on the bowl have broken down ( while being
separated).

Any ideas on the pump filter? Is it supposed to belch out, and be cloudy? I
drained the tank earlier, let it sit for days to air out, and put new fuel
in. I would think by now any water should be gone. 

TIA,

Clayton

------=_NextPart_001_0F0D_01D10CF9.AC0EDBE0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Hello all. My 62 mga 1622 fuel system is sick. =
I&#8217;ve mentioned it in previous posts and have had some great =
replies. I broke the floats up and what a surprise: white goo around the =
float pin and lifter. The water had lots of water in it (when it was =
emptied out the garage floor had water on top of gas). I pumped it for =
awhile and the pump coughed and spit and kicked out&nbsp; a murky mix. I =
did this for some time and the kicking and spurting continued, so I =
finally looked at the pump. Hopefully attached. There is the diaphragm =
on the bottom which has some water in it. I couldn&#8217;t find the =
filter, which on, apparently, the original pump was opposite the =
input/output. So, does this pump have a filter.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I cleaned up =
the carb. White crap on the float pin, water in the bowl (it appears to =
be an HS4), and just clearly polluted. It seems the pump is not running =
properly. The seals on the bowl have broken down ( while being =
separated).<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Any ideas on the pump filter? Is it supposed to belch =
out, and be cloudy? I drained the tank earlier, let it sit for days to =
air out, and put new fuel in. I would think by now any water should be =
gone. <o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>TIA,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Clayton<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_0F0D_01D10CF9.AC0EDBE0--

------=_NextPart_000_0F0C_01D10CF9.AC0EDBE0
	name="20151020_162020_resized.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="20151020_162020_resized.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0F0C_01D10CF9.AC0EDBE0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_0F0C_01D10CF9.AC0EDBE0--

---

From: mgbob--- via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 12:26:27 GMT

--===============3608559627026317885==

----__JWM__J718ca445.131e7682S.28ea173M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

Hi Clayton,  The pump you pictured does have a filter, on the face that =
has the large round gasket behind the zinc-looking casting. See the diag=
ram D.3 in the workshop manual, item 55.   This filter will keep out chu=
nks of rust but will not stop water, as you have found.     When everyth=
ing is working right, the pump will push clean fuel, but the tank must b=
e clean too, and I wonder if air-drying the tank as you have done will s=
uffice.  You might dump a pint of alcohol in the tank, slosh it around, =
absorbing water and some dirt, then drain and dry again. If you have dry=
 compressed air, you might try that too, then put the tank into the sun =
for a few days.  Water would seem to be easy to get out of a tank; it's =
surprisingly difficult.   Have you replaced the flexible fuel lines?  If=
 not, consider new ones. The originals could be brittle now, and sloughi=
ng inside which will be increased by presence of fresh fuel.  If you saw=
 little black chunks in the float bowls or passages, it is fuel line mat=
erial. These lines are not under much pressure, 2.5-4.0 psi, but they ar=
e thoughtfully located over the exhaust manifold....Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mgs] fuel pump difficulties
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:44:23 -0700

Hello all. My 62 mga 1622 fuel system is sick. I&rsquo;ve mentioned it i=
n previous posts and have had some great replies. I broke the floats up =
and what a surprise: white goo around the float pin and lifter. The wate=
r had lots of water in it (when it was emptied out the garage floor had =
water on top of gas). I pumped it for awhile and the pump coughed and sp=
it and kicked out  a murky mix. I did this for some time and the kicking=
 and spurting continued, so I finally looked at the pump. Hopefully atta=
ched. There is the diaphragm on the bottom which has some water in it. I=
 couldn&rsquo;t find the filter, which on, apparently, the original pump=
 was opposite the input/output. So, does this pump have a filter.
 =

I cleaned up the carb. White crap on the float pin, water in the bowl (i=
t appears to be an HS4), and just clearly polluted. It seems the pump is=
 not running properly. The seals on the bowl have broken down ( while be=
ing separated).
 =

Any ideas on the pump filter? Is it supposed to belch out, and be cloudy=
? I drained the tank earlier, let it sit for days to air out, and put ne=
w fuel in. I would think by now any water should be gone.
 =

TIA,
 =

Clayton
 =

----__JWM__J718ca445.131e7682S.28ea173M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>Hi Clayton,</div><div>&nbsp; The pump you pictured does have =
a filter, on the face that has the large round gasket behind the zinc-lo=
oking casting. See the diagram D.3 in the workshop manual, item 55.</div=
><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;This filter will keep out chunks of rust but will not=
 stop water, as you have found. &nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;When every=
thing is working right, the pump will push clean fuel, but the tank must=
 be clean too, and I wonder if air-drying the tank as you have done will=
 suffice. &nbsp;You might dump a pint of alcohol in the tank, slosh it a=
round, absorbing water and some dirt, then drain and dry again. If you h=
ave dry compressed air, you might try that too, then put the tank into t=
he sun for a few days. &nbsp;Water would seem to be easy to get out of a=
 tank; it's surprisingly difficult.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp; Have you repl=
aced the flexible fuel lines? &nbsp;If not, consider new ones. The origi=
nals could be brittle now, and sloughing inside which will be increased =
by presence of fresh fuel. &nbsp;If you saw little black chunks in the f=
loat bowls or passages, it is fuel line material. These lines are not un=
der much pressure, 2.5-4.0 psi, but they are thoughtfully located over t=
he exhaust manifold....</div><div>Bob<br><br>---------- Original Message=
 ----------<br>From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;=
<br>To: &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: [Mgs] fuel pump difficult=
ies<br>Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:44:23 -0700<br><br></p><!--[if gte mso =
9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--><div class=3D"WordSection1"><p class=3D=
"MsoNormal">Hello all. My 62 mga 1622 fuel system is sick. I&rsquo;ve me=
ntioned it in previous posts and have had some great replies. I broke th=
e floats up and what a surprise: white goo around the float pin and lift=
er. The water had lots of water in it (when it was emptied out the garag=
e floor had water on top of gas). I pumped it for awhile and the pump co=
ughed and spit and kicked out&nbsp; a murky mix. I did this for some tim=
e and the kicking and spurting continued, so I finally looked at the pum=
p. Hopefully attached. There is the diaphragm on the bottom which has so=
me water in it. I couldn&rsquo;t find the filter, which on, apparently, =
the original pump was opposite the input/output. So, does this pump have=
 a filter.</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">I =
cleaned up the carb. White crap on the float pin, water in the bowl (it =
appears to be an HS4), and just clearly polluted. It seems the pump is n=
ot running properly. The seals on the bowl have broken down ( while bein=
g separated).</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"=
>Any ideas on the pump filter? Is it supposed to belch out, and be cloud=
y? I drained the tank earlier, let it sit for days to air out, and put n=
ew fuel in. I would think by now any water should be gone.</p><p class=3D=
"MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">TIA,</p><p class=3D"MsoNorm=
al">&nbsp;</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">Clayton</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">&=
nbsp;</p></div></html>

----__JWM__J718ca445.131e7682S.28ea173M--

--===============3608559627026317885==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3608559627026317885==--