Subject: Re: [Mgs] Coil type for a 1980 MGB

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 08:27:13 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============6933540403399764954==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0055_01D0E490.01228F10"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0055_01D0E490.01228F10
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Not needed, you have to remove the wires from the coil terminals anyway =
(which I should have mentioned) or you get incorrect readings.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  Might be a good idea to disconnect the battery before making the =
resistance measurement.

------=_NextPart_000_0055_01D0E490.01228F10
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dwindows-1252" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff text=3D#000000>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Not needed, you have to remove the wires from the =
coil=20
terminals anyway (which I should have mentioned) or you get incorrect=20
readings.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><BR></DIV>Might be a good idea to =
disconnect the=20
  battery before making the resistance=20
measurement.<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0055_01D0E490.01228F10--

--===============6933540403399764954==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============6933540403399764954==--

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 11:21:06 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3402629739735269919==
 boundary="------------040800010509010601020707"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------040800010509010601020707
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Are we on the same page?  The way I read it, it was a resistance 
measurement from the coil positive wire to the white or white/brown wire 
on the fuse box, with the ignition switch turned on, in order to find 
out if there was a ballast wire in the coil harness.  I wouldn't attach 
my ohmmeter to a hot circuit.

CR

On 9/1/2015 2:27 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:
> Not needed, you have to remove the wires from the coil terminals 
> anyway (which I should have mentioned) or you get incorrect readings.
> PaulH.
>
>     ----- Original Message -----
>
>     Might be a good idea to disconnect the battery before making the
>     resistance measurement.
>

--------------040800010509010601020707
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    Are we on the same page?  The way I read it, it was a resistance
    measurement from the coil positive wire to the white or white/brown
    wire on the fuse box, with the ignition switch turned on, in order
    to find out if there was a ballast wire in the coil harness.  I
    wouldn't attach my ohmmeter to a hot circuit.<br>
    <br>
    CR<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/1/2015 2:27 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:2ED01B47F85A4AAEB09A4564CBA1BE9C@paul"
      type="cite">
      <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
        http-equiv="Content-Type">
      <meta name="GENERATOR" content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
      <style></style>
      <div><font size="2">Not needed, you have to remove the wires from
          the coil terminals anyway (which I should have mentioned) or
          you get incorrect readings.</font></div>
      <div> </div>
      <div><font size="2">PaulH.</font></div>
      <blockquote style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT:
        5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
        <div style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        Might be a good idea to disconnect the battery before making the
        resistance measurement.<br>
        <br>
      </blockquote>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------040800010509010601020707--

--===============3402629739735269919==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3402629739735269919==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 08:23:36 +0100

--===============5633929888737699230==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0037_01D0E558.A9B1A9E0"

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01D0E558.A9B1A9E0
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

My mistake, I was thinking of the coil measurement.

But you still don't need to disconnect the battery to measure the =
ballast resistance, in fact because of the way some ignitions are wired =
that would prevent you measuring it anyway, as the battery may be needed =
to operate an ignition relay to connect the coil feed wire to 12v.

As long as the wires are removed from the coil to stop any current =
flowing you can measure resistance on a wire that is carrying 12v, for =
the same reason that birds can sit on a 400kV power line.

PaulH.

  Are we on the same page?  The way I read it, it was a resistance =
measurement from the coil positive wire to the white or white/brown wire =
on the fuse box, with the ignition switch turned on, in order to find =
out if there was a ballast wire in the coil harness.  I wouldn't attach =
my ohmmeter to a hot circuit.

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01D0E558.A9B1A9E0
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dwindows-1252" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff text=3D#000000>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My mistake, I was thinking of the coil=20
measurement.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>But you still don't need to disconnect the battery =
to measure=20
the ballast resistance, in fact because of the way some ignitions are =
wired that=20
would prevent you measuring it anyway, as the battery may be needed to =
operate=20
an ignition relay to connect the coil feed wire to 12v.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As long as the wires are removed from the coil to =
stop any=20
current flowing you can measure resistance on a wire that is carrying =
12v, for=20
the same reason that birds can sit on a 400kV power line.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT><BR></DIV>Are we on =
the same=20
  page?&nbsp; The way I read it, it was a resistance measurement from =
the coil=20
  positive wire to the white or white/brown wire on the fuse box, with =
the=20
  ignition switch turned on, in order to find out if there was a ballast =
wire in=20
  the coil harness.&nbsp; I wouldn't attach my ohmmeter to a hot=20
circuit.<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01D0E558.A9B1A9E0--

--===============5633929888737699230==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5633929888737699230==--