Subject: Re: [Mgs] new steering rack

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 09:16:59 +0100

Yes, cut the little tie off, then attach a new one afterwards.  Doesn't need 
to be gorilla tight though, just nipped, so you can adjust the tracking 
subsequently.

I'm not familiar with what you have, but have made what sounds to be much 
the same thing to measure the toe.  Mine has a pointer each side that you 
position against a specific point in the centre of the tread, with the car 
moved back and fore so that point moves between in front and behind i.e. 
through 180 degrees, and always in horizontal alignment with the centre of 
the stub axle when you take a measurement.  The important thing is to take 
the measurements at the same point on the tyres, anything else will be 
subject to tyre distortions and positioning on the wheel.

I knew Moss were supplying grease-packed, but not heard of an adjustment 
screw.  Is that in place of the shims?  Can't see why that would need 
maintenance, in fact giving someone an adjustment screw instead of taking 
the time to set up the shims correctly in the factory seems sloppy to me, 
and asking for trouble with those who see an adjustment screw and decide to 
fiddle with it.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> The rack boots come secured with tie wraps. While trying to do an 
> alignment, the boots turned with the rod. Should I cut of the tie wrap and 
> put a new one on after finishing?

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Root via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 17:35:58 +0000

--===============0349714815596804644==

--001a1141becc13f1a3051bcaac11

The adjustment screw is for the inside. You still use the shims the same
way for aligning the rack to the steering column.

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015, 3:19 AM PaulHunt73 <[email-masked]> wrote:

> --
Paul.

sent from my iPad

--001a1141becc13f1a3051bcaac11
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<p dir=3D"ltr">The adjustment screw is for the inside. You still use the sh=
ims the same way for aligning the rack to the steering column.<br>
</p>
<br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Sun, Jul 26, 2015, 3:19 =
AM=C2=A0PaulHunt73 &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">paulhu=
[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quo=
te" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"=
>Yes, cut the little tie off, then attach a new one afterwards.=C2=A0 Doesn=
&#39;t need<br>
to be gorilla tight though, just nipped, so you can adjust the tracking<br>
subsequently.<br>
<br>
I&#39;m not familiar with what you have, but have made what sounds to be mu=
ch<br>
the same thing to measure the toe.=C2=A0 Mine has a pointer each side that =
you<br>
position against a specific point in the centre of the tread, with the car<=
br>
moved back and fore so that point moves between in front and behind i.e.<br=
through 180 degrees, and always in horizontal alignment with the centre of<=
br>
the stub axle when you take a measurement.=C2=A0 The important thing is to =
take<br>
the measurements at the same point on the tyres, anything else will be<br>
subject to tyre distortions and positioning on the wheel.<br>
<br>
I knew Moss were supplying grease-packed, but not heard of an adjustment<br=
screw.=C2=A0 Is that in place of the shims?=C2=A0 Can&#39;t see why that wo=
uld need<br>
maintenance, in fact giving someone an adjustment screw instead of taking<b=
r>
the time to set up the shims correctly in the factory seems sloppy to me,<b=
r>
and asking for trouble with those who see an adjustment screw and decide to=
<br>
fiddle with it.<br>
<br>
PaulH.<br>
<br>
<br>
----- Original Message -----<br>
&gt; The rack boots come secured with tie wraps. While trying to do an<br>
&gt; alignment, the boots turned with the rod. Should I cut of the tie wrap=
 and<br>
&gt; put a new one on after finishing?<br>
<br>
</blockquote></div><div dir=3D"ltr">-- <br></div>Paul. <br><br>sent from my=
 iPad

--001a1141becc13f1a3051bcaac11--

--===============0349714815596804644==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0349714815596804644==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 08:12:24 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============1705153222973927048==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_001A_01D0C843.F803FF80"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01D0C843.F803FF80
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I meant the shims under the pinion cover, not the shims between rack and =
mounting brackets.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  The adjustment screw is for the inside. You still use the shims the =
same way for aligning the rack to the steering column.

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01D0C843.F803FF80
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=EF=BB=BF<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I meant the shims under the pinion cover, not the =
shims=20
between rack and mounting brackets.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV>The adjustment screw is for the inside. You still use the shims =
the same=20
  way for aligning the rack to the steering=20
column.<BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01D0C843.F803FF80--

--===============1705153222973927048==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1705153222973927048==--