Subject: [Mgs] Alignment tool

From: John Di Fede via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 15:29:09 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============1721816040179196893==
 boundary="Boundary_(ID_ufHt+lpCuY7d1wI6u4867A)"
Content-language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--Boundary_(ID_ufHt+lpCuY7d1wI6u4867A)
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

The alignment tool is rather primitive.  Paul, the instructions do not say
to roll the car back and forth so as to measure at the same point on the
tire.   I never considered that the tire could be fatter or narrower at
certain points on the sidewalls.   I suppose that could happen if you have
raised letters or some type of raised portion of the sidewalls.   For that
matter a slightly bent wheel could through off the measurement.  

The tool is just slightly better than measuring toe in using a tape measure.
Measure distance across the front of the tires and the back of the tires at
the same clock position on the tire ( 9  and 3  o'clock).  Front measurement
should be 1/16" shorter than the rear measurement.   I have set my own toe
in on the MG and other hobby cars I own.  It is a pain in the A$$ especially
when it involves centering the steering wheel.    It is all trial and error.
At times I have so much time invested that it would have been advantageous
to spend $75 at the tire shop. 

John DiFede

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--Boundary_(ID_ufHt+lpCuY7d1wI6u4867A)
Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-micr=
osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"http:=
//www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=
=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Micros=
oft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
=2EMsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3D"#0563C1=
" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>The alig=
nment tool is rather primitive.&nbsp; Paul, the instructions do not say to =
roll the car back and forth so as to measure at the same point on the tire.=
&nbsp;&nbsp; I never considered that the tire could be fatter or narrower a=
t certain points on the sidewalls.&nbsp; &nbsp;I suppose that could happen =
if you have raised letters or some type of raised portion of the sidewalls.=
&nbsp; &nbsp;For that matter a slightly bent wheel could through off the me=
asurement.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><=
p class=3DMsoNormal>The tool is just slightly better than measuring toe in =
using a tape measure.&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;Measure distance across the front o=
f the tires and the back of the tires at the same clock position on the tir=
e ( 9 &nbsp;and 3 &nbsp;o&#8217;clock).&nbsp; Front measurement should be 1=
/16&#8221; shorter than the rear measurement.&nbsp;&nbsp; I have set my own=
 toe in on the MG and other hobby cars I own.&nbsp; It is a pain in the A$$=
 especially when it involves centering the steering wheel.&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbs=
p;It is all trial and error.&nbsp; At times I have so much time invested th=
at it would have been advantageous to spend $75 at the tire shop. <o:p></o:=
p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>John D=
iFede<o:p></o:p></p></div>
<br /><br />
<hr style=3D'border:none; color:#909090; background-color:#B0B0B0; height: =
1px; width: 99%;' />
<table style=3D'border-collapse:collapse;border:none;'>
	<tr>
		<td style=3D'border:none;padding:0px 15px 0px 8px'>
			<a href=3D"https://www.avast.com/antivirus">
				<img border=3D0 src=3D"http://static.avast.com/emails/avast-mail-stamp.=
png" alt=3D"Avast logo" />
			</a>
		</td>
		<td>
			<p style=3D'color:#3d4d5a; font-family:"Calibri","Verdana","Arial","Helv=
etica"; font-size:12pt;'>
				This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
				<br><a href=3D"https://www.avast.com/antivirus">www.avast.com</a>
			</p>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table>
<br />
</body></html>=

--Boundary_(ID_ufHt+lpCuY7d1wI6u4867A)--

--===============1721816040179196893==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============1721816040179196893==--