Subject: Re: [Mgs] Alignment tool

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 08:06:00 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============7008458097447857553==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_002F_01D0C90C.3D7B5DB0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01D0C90C.3D7B5DB0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You don't say anything about rolling the car back and fore so you use =
the same point on the tyre for both measurements.  If you don't do that, =
but measure different points on the tyre, you are dependent on the shape =
and fitment of the tyre.

PaulH.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  =20
  I have the same alignment tool.   Place the tool behind the front =
wheels and set the pointer to zero.   Then place the tool in front of =
the front wheels and the pointer should indicate toe in of 1/16" ( I =
think this is the spec -  check you manual).  Make sure that your =
steering wheel is centered.  If the toe in is not within spec, turn the =
tie rod ends on each side equally until you have the correct =
measurement.  Lots of trial and error involved.  It may take you a while =
to get it correct.    =20

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01D0C90C.3D7B5DB0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:v =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Calibri;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
A:link {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: windowtext; mso-style-type: =
personal-compose
}
.MsoChpDefault {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.WordSection1 {
	page: WordSection1
}
</STYLE>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US link=3D#0563c1 bgColor=3D#ffffff vLink=3D#954f72>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You don't say anything about rolling the car back =
and fore so=20
you use the same point on the tyre for both measurements.&nbsp; If you =
don't do=20
that, but measure different points on the tyre, you are dependent on the =
shape=20
and fitment of the tyre.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DWordSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>I have the same alignment tool.&nbsp;&nbsp; Place =
the tool=20
  behind the front wheels and set the pointer to zero.&nbsp;&nbsp; Then =
place=20
  the tool in front of the front wheels and the pointer should indicate =
toe in=20
  of 1/16=94 ( I think this is the spec -&nbsp; check you manual).&nbsp; =
Make sure=20
  that your steering wheel is centered.&nbsp; If the toe in is not =
within spec,=20
  turn the tie rod ends on each side equally until you have the correct=20
  measurement.&nbsp; Lots of trial and error involved.&nbsp; It may take =
you a=20
  while to get it correct.&nbsp;=20
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01D0C90C.3D7B5DB0--

--===============7008458097447857553==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============7008458097447857553==--

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 08:04:51 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============6882782936576632650==
 boundary="------------000000080104070904020902"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------000000080104070904020902
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I have a similar, if not the same, toe-in measuring tool.  What I'm 
leery of is finding a way to insure that each front wheel has the same 
toe-in angle compared the the rear wheel on the same side.  Not easy to 
ascertain.  The tool is rather flexible.

CR

On 7/28/2015 2:06 AM, PaulHunt73 via Mgs wrote:
> You don't say anything about rolling the car back and fore so you use 
> the same point on the tyre for both measurements.  If you don't do 
> that, but measure different points on the tyre, you are dependent on 
> the shape and fitment of the tyre.
> PaulH.
>
>     ----- Original Message -----
>
>     I have the same alignment tool.   Place the tool behind the front
>     wheels and set the pointer to zero.   Then place the tool in front
>     of the front wheels and the pointer should indicate toe in of
>     1/16” ( I think this is the spec -  check you manual).  Make sure
>     that your steering wheel is centered.  If the toe in is not within
>     spec, turn the tie rod ends on each side equally until you have
>     the correct measurement.  Lots of trial and error involved.  It
>     may take you a while to get it correct.
>
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--------------000000080104070904020902
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    I have a similar, if not the same, toe-in measuring tool.  What I'm
    leery of is finding a way to insure that each front wheel has the
    same toe-in angle compared the the rear wheel on the same side.  Not
    easy to ascertain.  The tool is rather flexible.<br>
    <br>
    CR<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 7/28/2015 2:06 AM, PaulHunt73 via
      Mgs wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:E990CD59D94A47DF82C34F13F49BD831@paul"
      type="cite">
      <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
        http-equiv="Content-Type">
      <meta name="GENERATOR" content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
      <style>@font-face {
	font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Calibri;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; }
P.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
A:link {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: windowtext; mso-style-type: personal-compose
}
.MsoChpDefault {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.WordSection1 {
	page: WordSection1
}
</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div><font size="2">You don't say anything about rolling the car
          back and fore so you use the same point on the tyre for both
          measurements.  If you don't do that, but measure different
          points on the tyre, you are dependent on the shape and fitment
          of the tyre.</font></div>
      <div> </div>
      <div><font size="2">PaulH.</font></div>
      <div> </div>
      <blockquote style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT:
        5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
        <div style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </div>
        <div style="FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color:
          black"><o:p> </o:p></div>
        <div class="WordSection1">
          <p class="MsoNormal">I have the same alignment tool.   Place
            the tool behind the front wheels and set the pointer to
            zero.   Then place the tool in front of the front wheels and
            the pointer should indicate toe in of 1/16” ( I think this
            is the spec -  check you manual).  Make sure that your
            steering wheel is centered.  If the toe in is not within
            spec, turn the tie rod ends on each side equally until you
            have the correct measurement.  Lots of trial and error
            involved.  It may take you a while to get it correct.     <o:p></o:p></p>
        </div>
      </blockquote>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------000000080104070904020902--

--===============6882782936576632650==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6882782936576632650==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 14:26:17 +0100

--===============8453629754942117915==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_003F_01D0C941.5DE21820"

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01D0C941.5DE21820
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

It's not a factor on solid/live axle cars such as the MGB.  There are no =
figures for it and it isn't adjustable as the axle to spring and spring =
to body mountings are 'fixed'.  Unlike the front wheels a solid axle =
should always be zero toe, if not there is something wrong.
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  ....  What I'm leery of is finding a way to insure that each front =
wheel has the same toe-in angle compared the the rear wheel on the same =
side.
------=_NextPart_000_003F_01D0C941.5DE21820
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dwindows-1252" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff text=3D#000000>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It's not a factor on solid/live axle cars such as =
the=20
MGB.&nbsp; There are no figures for it and it isn't adjustable as the =
axle to=20
spring and spring to body mountings are 'fixed'.&nbsp; Unlike the front =
wheels a=20
solid axle should always be zero toe, if not there is something=20
wrong.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT><BR></DIV>....&nbsp; =
What I'm=20
  leery of is finding a way to insure that each front wheel has the same =
toe-in=20
  angle compared the the rear wheel on the same side.<!--[if gte mso =
9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01D0C941.5DE21820--

--===============8453629754942117915==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8453629754942117915==--