Subject: Re: [Mgs] 79 MGB handbrake

From: Steve Shoyer via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 12:52:39 -0400

The rectangular box is suspended rather than bolted to the car.  Tightening
the handbrake cable basically shortens the length of the cable between the
handbrake levers on each rear brake, pulling them toward each other and
distributing the force evenly.

--Steve

-----Original Message-----
Subject: [Mgs] 79 MGB handbrake

Why does it look like the way the cable is configured, only the drivers side
wheel will brake, not the passenger side? It has no compensator, only a
rectangular box mtg.

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 08:16:55 +0100

That 'box' should be attached to the left hand half of the axle casing by a 
rubber flap 
http://www.paulhunt73.webspace.virginmedia.com/mgb-stuff/images/handbrake2.jpg. 
The inner comes from there to the left hand brake, and that tends to pull 
the outer towards the left hand brake when the cabin lever is pulled up. 
But the 'box' also has a steel rod going to the right hand brake, so 
movement of the outer pulls that on as well, and equal force is applied to 
both brakes.

PaulH.

----- Original Message -----

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 09:07:58 -0500

That sounds intriguing. I have a '69 Tourer w/wire wheels.  The cable 
for it doesn't have a rectangular box, AIR.  The repro cable - from Moss 
yrs ago - was a tad too long.  Moss called it specification drift, fer 
Pete's sake.  The only way I've been able to keep the handbrake working 
is to keep the rear shoes pretty tight.  I wonder if I could use the 
later cable.  What does it look like?  Pics?

CR

On 7/16/2015 11:52 AM, Steve Shoyer via Mgs wrote:
> -

[email-masked]

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 15:42:58 +0100

The 'box' only applies to 77 and later MGBs.  Before that the outer ends at 
a pivoting lever on the diff casing, the inner extends to the left-hand 
wheel, and a short cable goes back from the right-hand wheel.  Other than 
that both types work the same, i.e. the end of the outer moves to a position 
where the same force is applied to both brakes when the cabin lever is 
pulled up.

I posted a link to a picture of the later system.

There were no less than 10 handbrake cables for the MGB - banjo, Mk1 tube, 
Mk2 chrome, rubber bumper to September 76, and September 76 on, and each of 
these had variations for wire wheels and stud wheels.  So plenty of scope 
for manufacturers getting it wrong.  The first four pairs all vary in length 
and the last pair has the different compensation arrangement, as well as a 
different length to most if not all of the others.  If yours is only 
slightly too long i.e. the cabin lever comes up too far and you have used up 
all the adjustment at the cabin lever end, you can clamp a spacer or 
'shortener' onto the short cable at the compensation lever, between the 
nipple and where it comes out of the trunnion on the free end of the 
compensation lever 
http://www.paulhunt73.webspace.virginmedia.com/mgb-stuff/images/handbrake.jpg

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

> That sounds intriguing. I have a '69 Tourer w/wire wheels.  The cable for 
> it doesn't have a rectangular box, AIR. 

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 10:07:05 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0142466475948617610==
 boundary="------------000602020706070803050100"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------000602020706070803050100
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Thanks, I have the WW cable.

CR

On 7/17/2015 9:24 AM, Osborne, Paul wrote:
> Hi,  If you have wire wheels the cable needs to be shorter, should 
> like you have the cable for steel wheels.
>
>
> paul
> Paul Osborne
> Department of Electrical and Computer Eng.
> University of Rochester
> 201 Hopeman Building RC
> Rochester NY 14627
> 585-275-5226
>
>
>
> On Jul 17, 2015, at 10:07 AM, Charley & Peggy Robinson via Mgs 
>
>> for it doesn't have a rectangular box, AIR.  The repro cable - from 
>> Moss yrs ago - was a tad too long.  Moss called it specification 
>> drift, fer Pete's sake.  The only way I've been able to keep the 
>> handbrake working is to keep the rear shoes pretty tight.  I wonder 
>> if I could use the later cable.  What does it look like?  Pics?
>>
>> CR
>>
>> Donate: 
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.team.net_donate.html&d=BQICAg&c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&r=j_uK0-rtrtcKZ8O0aGq-Y5ZUDfHjCD_Cv57WMn_czag&m=7rdpcUL9R69rl77M69sN-qA5ybge73ASTX3jELVJW4w&s=z9m2N5RHNHKnh1pmo0DlEpMjFGHmNPoG566ij1SFNi0&e= 
>> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>> Archive: 
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.team.net_archive&d=BQICAg&c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&r=j_uK0-rtrtcKZ8O0aGq-Y5ZUDfHjCD_Cv57WMn_czag&m=7rdpcUL9R69rl77M69sN-qA5ybge73ASTX3jELVJW4w&s=m9gH47Wb_GBC7dBxN0dG44Duv6IrYGtmbeQLsiPC37E&e= 
>> Forums: 
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.team.net_forums&d=BQICAg&c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&r=j_uK0-rtrtcKZ8O0aGq-Y5ZUDfHjCD_Cv57WMn_czag&m=7rdpcUL9R69rl77M69sN-qA5ybge73ASTX3jELVJW4w&s=9HHj5mftVUKiXkQqMPE6lbJiSeZVSOVFeITeSAo0m4Y&e= 
>> Unsubscribe: 
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__autox.team.net_mailman_options_mgs_paul-40ece.rochester.edu&d=BQICAg&c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&r=j_uK0-rtrtcKZ8O0aGq-Y5ZUDfHjCD_Cv57WMn_czag&m=7rdpcUL9R69rl77M69sN-qA5ybge73ASTX3jELVJW4w&s=UtqT-NZ81MtOnK-fiPBsV9SHkHWC8IirEn4zPKgswdY&e=
>

--------------000602020706070803050100
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    Thanks, I have the WW cable.<br>
    <br>
    CR<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 7/17/2015 9:24 AM, Osborne, Paul
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      Hi,  If you have wire wheels the cable needs to be shorter, should
      like you have the cable for steel wheels.   
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>paul<br>
        <div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="border-collapse:
            separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica;
            font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight:
            normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal;
            orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px;
            text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2;
            word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px;
            -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px;
            -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;
            -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width:
            0px; ">
            <div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family:
                'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 16px; ">Paul Osborne</span><span
                class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'Times New
                Roman', serif; font-size: 16px; "><br>
              </span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family:
                'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 16px; ">Department
                of Electrical and Computer Eng.</span><span
                class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'Times New
                Roman', serif; font-size: 16px; "><br>
              </span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family:
                'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 16px; ">University
                of Rochester </span><span class="Apple-style-span"
                style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; font-size:
                16px; "><br>
              </span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family:
                'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 16px; ">201 Hopeman
                Building RC</span><span class="Apple-style-span"
                style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; font-size:
                16px; "><br>
              </span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family:
                'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 16px; ">Rochester
                NY 14627</span><span class="Apple-style-span"
                style="font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; font-size:
                16px; "><br>
              </span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family:
                'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 16px; ">585-275-5226</span></div>
            <div><br>
            </div>
          </span><br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
        </div>
        <br>
        <div>
          <div>On Jul 17, 2015, at 10:07 AM, Charley &amp; Peggy
            Robinson via Mgs &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
            wrote:</div>
          <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
          <blockquote type="cite">That sounds intriguing. I have a '69
            Tourer w/wire wheels.  The cable for it doesn't have a
            rectangular box, AIR.  The repro cable - from Moss yrs ago -
            was a tad too long.  Moss called it specification drift, fer
            Pete's sake.  The only way I've been able to keep the
            handbrake working is to keep the rear shoes pretty tight.  I
            wonder if I could use the later cable.  What does it look
            like?  Pics?<br>
            <br>
            CR<br>
            <br>
            On 7/16/2015 11:52 AM, Steve Shoyer via Mgs wrote:<br>
            <blockquote type="cite">The rectangular box is suspended
              rather than bolted to the car.  Tightening<br>
              the handbrake cable basically shortens the length of the
              cable between the<br>
              handbrake levers on each rear brake, pulling them toward
              each other and<br>
              distributing the force evenly.<br>
              <br>
              --Steve<br>
              <br>
              -<br>
            </blockquote>
            <br>
            _______________________________________________<br>
            <br>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
            Donate:
            <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.team.net_donate.html&amp;d=BQICAg&amp;c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&amp;r=j_uK0-rtrtcKZ8O0aGq-Y5ZUDfHjCD_Cv57WMn_czag&amp;m=7rdpcUL9R69rl77M69sN-qA5ybge73ASTX3jELVJW4w&amp;s=z9m2N5RHNHKnh1pmo0DlEpMjFGHmNPoG566ij1SFNi0&amp;e=">https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.team.net_donate.html&amp;d=BQICAg&amp;c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&amp;r=j_uK0-rtrtcKZ8O0aGq-Y5ZUDfHjCD_Cv57WMn_czag&amp;m=7rdpcUL9R69rl77M69sN-qA5ybge73ASTX3jELVJW4w&amp;s=z9m2N5RHNHKnh1pmo0DlEpMjFGHmNPoG566ij1SFNi0&amp;e=</a>

            Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
            Archive:
            <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.team.net_archive&amp;d=BQICAg&amp;c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&amp;r=j_uK0-rtrtcKZ8O0aGq-Y5ZUDfHjCD_Cv57WMn_czag&amp;m=7rdpcUL9R69rl77M69sN-qA5ybge73ASTX3jELVJW4w&amp;s=m9gH47Wb_GBC7dBxN0dG44Duv6IrYGtmbeQLsiPC37E&amp;e=">https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.team.net_archive&amp;d=BQICAg&amp;c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&amp;r=j_uK0-rtrtcKZ8O0aGq-Y5ZUDfHjCD_Cv57WMn_czag&amp;m=7rdpcUL9R69rl77M69sN-qA5ybge73ASTX3jELVJW4w&amp;s=m9gH47Wb_GBC7dBxN0dG44Duv6IrYGtmbeQLsiPC37E&amp;e=</a>

            Forums:
            <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.team.net_forums&amp;d=BQICAg&amp;c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&amp;r=j_uK0-rtrtcKZ8O0aGq-Y5ZUDfHjCD_Cv57WMn_czag&amp;m=7rdpcUL9R69rl77M69sN-qA5ybge73ASTX3jELVJW4w&amp;s=9HHj5mftVUKiXkQqMPE6lbJiSeZVSOVFeITeSAo0m4Y&amp;e=">https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.team.net_forums&amp;d=BQICAg&amp;c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&amp;r=j_uK0-rtrtcKZ8O0aGq-Y5ZUDfHjCD_Cv57WMn_czag&amp;m=7rdpcUL9R69rl77M69sN-qA5ybge73ASTX3jELVJW4w&amp;s=9HHj5mftVUKiXkQqMPE6lbJiSeZVSOVFeITeSAo0m4Y&amp;e=</a>

            Unsubscribe:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__autox.team.net_mailman_options_mgs_paul-40ece.rochester.edu&amp;d=BQICAg&amp;c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&amp;r=j_uK0-rtrtcKZ8O0aGq-Y5ZUDfHjCD_Cv57WMn_czag&amp;m=7rdpcUL9R69rl77M69sN-qA5ybge73ASTX3jELVJW4w&amp;s=UtqT-NZ81MtOnK-fiPBsV9SHkHWC8IirEn4zPKgswdY&amp;e=">https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__autox.team.net_mailman_options_mgs_paul-40ece.rochester.edu&amp;d=BQICAg&amp;c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&amp;r=j_uK0-rtrtcKZ8O0aGq-Y5ZUDfHjCD_Cv57WMn_czag&amp;m=7rdpcUL9R69rl77M69sN-qA5ybge73ASTX3jELVJW4w&amp;s=UtqT-NZ81MtOnK-fiPBsV9SHkHWC8IirEn4zPKgswdY&amp;e=</a><br>
          </blockquote>
        </div>
        <br>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------000602020706070803050100--

--===============0142466475948617610==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0142466475948617610==--

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 10:09:43 -0500

Thanks,

After I get over this sinus infection I'll have to get under Her Majesty 
to see if all the bits are there.

CR

On 7/17/2015 9:42 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:
> The 'box' only applies to 77 and later MGBs.  Before that the outer 
> ends at a pivoting lever on the diff casing, the inner extends to the 
> left-hand wheel, and a short cable goes back from the right-hand 
> wheel.  Other than that both types work the same, i.e. the end of the 
> outer moves to a position where the same force is applied to both 
> brakes when the cabin lever is pulled up.
>
> There were no less than 10 handbrake cables for the MGB - banjo, Mk1 
> tube, Mk2 chrome, rubber bumper to September 76, and September 76 on, 
> and each of these had variations for wire wheels and stud wheels.  So 
> plenty of scope for manufacturers getting it wrong. The first four 
> pairs all vary in length and the last pair has the different 
> compensation arrangement, as well as a different length to most if not 
> all of the others.  If yours is only slightly too long i.e. the cabin 
> lever comes up too far and you have used up all the adjustment at the 
> cabin lever end, you can clamp a spacer or 'shortener' onto the short 
> cable at the compensation lever, between the nipple and where it comes 
> out of the trunnion on the free end of the compensation lever 
>> for it doesn't have a rectangular box, AIR. 
>
>

[email-masked]