Subject: [Mgs] banjo axle breather dilemma

From: dcouncill via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 17:00:11 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7584927864354410634==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_003A_01D0BBFB.0D202420"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_003A_01D0BBFB.0D202420
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I am working on the rear axle of a 64 MGB. After a routine check of the =
car,
I had noticed a small oil leak from the oil seals on both sides which =
lead
me to suspect pressure buildup due to a plugged breather. First sign of
trouble was that I couldn=92t locate the breather because there wasn=92t =
one
with the hole buried under an oil/dirt buildup. I cleaned off the sludge =
and
located the breather hole and cleaned it out as best possible with the =
axle
in the car. Then I went to install Moss part 267-040 rear axle breather =
but
it wouldn=92t fit =96 too large. A check of Moss catalog shows it to be =
the
correct part for both banjo and Salisbury axles. The hole is threaded =
but
too small for a 5/16=94 bolt but too large for =BC=94. Also, the 5/16=94 =
bolt fits
just within the inner diameter of Moss part 267-040.

=20

I happen to have a couple of spare banjo rear axles so I checked them =
and
both of them have the larger holes and the Moss part fits. However, they =
are
also wire wheel banjo axles whereas the one on the 64B is for disc =
wheels.
Does anyone have an idea what thread size this early banjo axle might be
using? Or suggestions on how I can establish a vent with another part of
some kind?=20

=20

David Councill

64 B

67 BGT

72 B

------=_NextPart_000_003A_01D0BBFB.0D202420
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word =
14 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>I am =
working on the rear axle of a 64 MGB. After a routine check of the car, =
I had noticed a small oil leak from the oil seals on both sides which =
lead me to suspect pressure buildup due to a plugged breather. First =
sign of trouble was that I couldn&#8217;t locate the breather because =
there wasn&#8217;t one with the hole buried under an oil/dirt buildup. I =
cleaned off the sludge and located the breather hole and cleaned it out =
as best possible with the axle in the car. Then I went to install Moss =
part 267-040 rear axle breather but it wouldn&#8217;t fit &#8211; too =
large. A check of Moss catalog shows it to be the correct part for both =
banjo and Salisbury axles. The hole is threaded but too small for a =
5/16&#8221; bolt but too large for =BC&#8221;. Also, the 5/16&#8221; =
bolt fits just within the inner diameter of Moss part =
267-040.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I happen to have a couple of spare banjo rear axles so =
I checked them and both of them have the larger holes and the Moss part =
fits. However, they are also wire wheel banjo axles whereas the one on =
the 64B is for disc wheels. Does anyone have an idea what thread size =
this early banjo axle might be using? Or suggestions on how I can =
establish a vent with another part of some kind? <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>David =
Councill<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>64 B<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>67 BGT<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>72 =
B<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_003A_01D0BBFB.0D202420--

--===============7584927864354410634==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============7584927864354410634==--

---

From: mgbob--- via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 00:10:32 GMT

--===============6224806336297751030==

----__JWM__J7fc9f55b.7b917568S.51387d0eM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

  The vent holes in the axles of T-series cars are protected by the stra=
p that secures brake line to the axle. It seems crude, but I can think o=
f no complaints about dirt in the axle tube.     If you can not find the=
 fitting that threads in, you might try covering the hole using a hose c=
lamp, perhaps with a piece of scotch-brite to provide a bit better air p=
ressure adjustment and dirt exclusion. =

Bob
---------- Original Message ----------
From: dcouncill via Mgs <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mgs] banjo axle breather dilemma
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 17:00:11 -0700

I am working on the rear axle of a 64 MGB. After a routine check of the =
car, I had noticed a small oil leak from the oil seals on both sides whi=
ch lead me to suspect pressure buildup due to a plugged breather. First =
sign of trouble was that I couldn&rsquo;t locate the breather because th=
ere wasn&rsquo;t one with the hole buried under an oil/dirt buildup. I c=
leaned off the sludge and located the breather hole and cleaned it out a=
s best possible with the axle in the car. Then I went to install Moss pa=
rt 267-040 rear axle breather but it wouldn&rsquo;t fit &ndash; too larg=
e. A check of Moss catalog shows it to be the correct part for both banj=
o and Salisbury axles. The hole is threaded but too small for a 5/16&rdq=
uo; bolt but too large for =BC&rdquo;. Also, the 5/16&rdquo; bolt fits j=
ust within the inner diameter of Moss part 267-040.
 =

I happen to have a couple of spare banjo rear axles so I checked them an=
d both of them have the larger holes and the Moss part fits. However, th=
ey are also wire wheel banjo axles whereas the one on the 64B is for dis=
c wheels. Does anyone have an idea what thread size this early banjo axl=
e might be using? Or suggestions on how I can establish a vent with anot=
her part of some kind?
 =

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT
72 B

----__JWM__J7fc9f55b.7b917568S.51387d0eM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>&nbsp; The vent holes in the axles of T-series cars are prote=
cted by the strap that secures brake line to the axle. It seems crude, b=
ut I can think of no complaints about dirt in the axle tube. &nbsp;&nbsp=
;</div><div>&nbsp; If you can not find the fitting that threads in, you =
might try covering the hole using a hose clamp, perhaps with a piece of =
scotch-brite to provide a bit better air pressure adjustment and dirt ex=
clusion.&nbsp;<br>Bob</div><div><br>---------- Original Message --------=
--<br>From: dcouncill via Mgs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: &lt;mgs@=
autox.team.net&gt;, &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: [Mgs] ban=
jo axle breather dilemma<br>Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 17:00:11 -0700<br><br=
></p><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--><div class=3D"WordSection1"><p class=3D=
"MsoNormal">I am working on the rear axle of a 64 MGB. After a routine c=
heck of the car, I had noticed a small oil leak from the oil seals on bo=
th sides which lead me to suspect pressure buildup due to a plugged brea=
ther. First sign of trouble was that I couldn&rsquo;t locate the breathe=
r because there wasn&rsquo;t one with the hole buried under an oil/dirt =
buildup. I cleaned off the sludge and located the breather hole and clea=
ned it out as best possible with the axle in the car. Then I went to ins=
tall Moss part 267-040 rear axle breather but it wouldn&rsquo;t fit &nda=
sh; too large. A check of Moss catalog shows it to be the correct part f=
or both banjo and Salisbury axles. The hole is threaded but too small fo=
r a 5/16&rdquo; bolt but too large for &frac14;&rdquo;. Also, the 5/16&r=
dquo; bolt fits just within the inner diameter of Moss part 267-040.</p>=
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">I happen to have=
 a couple of spare banjo rear axles so I checked them and both of them h=
ave the larger holes and the Moss part fits. However, they are also wire=
 wheel banjo axles whereas the one on the 64B is for disc wheels. Does a=
nyone have an idea what thread size this early banjo axle might be using=
? Or suggestions on how I can establish a vent with another part of some=
 kind?</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">David =
Councill</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">64 B</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">67 BGT=
</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">72 B</p></div></html>

----__JWM__J7fc9f55b.7b917568S.51387d0eM--

--===============6224806336297751030==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6224806336297751030==--