Subject: [Mgs] Follow up to MGA 1600 MkII front end suspension suspense

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 15:54:55 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============6445840410981966926==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0384_01D0C172.17A8DF00"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0384_01D0C172.17A8DF00
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hello Barney.

I read with great interest Barney's The Nature of ROLLING ELEMENT BEARINGS
-- UT-106 at mgaguru.com, regarding the loading and tightness of bearing in
the front hub. If the Gentle Reader remembers, we were last reviewing the
problems of my hubs, bearings and various other components of suspension and
brakes. A quick recap: wire wheels with unmovable brake caliper pistons
(shot) and both inner and outer bearings a variable tightness in hubs. The
inner spacer was not tight, it wobbled around inside the hub more than the
.0125" free that adding up the numbers in the repair manual suggest (more
like .15 inch short) although the bearings were against the shoulders and
neither bearings nor inner spacer appeared worn axially. I found that the
last assembly was missing the oil seal spacers on both side. There is some
definite wear at the outer bearing spindle suggesting problems with
solidarity of bearings and inner spacers, very possibly because of missing
oil seal spacer.

Barney's explanation is worth the read just to better understand bearings in
general, but front MGA bearings specifically. My greatest difficulty in
reading his missive was regarding the fit of the bearings on the spindle and
inside the hubs. The suggestion is that the outer races should be press fit
or close, while the inner races on the spindle should only by hand
application tight. Barney, I don't really understand why the inner races can
be so relatively loose. Because of the relative damage to the spindle, a
noticeable wear on one side of the spindle especially on the outer bearings,
I would think that a slip fit inner race, even with axial compression, would
allow potential spinning on the spindle causing wear similar to what I am
seeing. Will I have a problem with gluing the inner races to the spindle? I
realize this may make it difficult to dismantle later but perhaps a small
amount of glue would be acceptable given the current wear? Moss doesn't have
replacement spindle knuckles, only hubs, which, with the new bearings I am
buying, may still need to be purchased.

At this point, I am purchasing bearings, all new spacers, oil seals, brake
calipers, pads, disks, suspension kit, swivel links, bolts and side washers
and associated swivel pins, tie rod ends. Expensive.

Thanks for any illumination.

Clayton

------=_NextPart_000_0384_01D0C172.17A8DF00
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:dt=3D"uuid:C2F41010-65B3-11d1-A29F-00AA00C14882" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Hello Barney.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I read with =
great interest Barney&#8217;s <b><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>The =
Nature of ROLLING</span></b><b><span style=3D'font-size:13.5pt'> ELEMENT =
BEARINGS -- UT-106 at mgaguru.com, </span></b>regarding the loading and =
tightness of bearing in the front hub. If the Gentle Reader remembers, =
we were last reviewing the problems of my hubs, bearings and various =
other components of suspension and brakes. A quick recap: wire wheels =
with unmovable brake caliper pistons (shot) and both inner and outer =
bearings a variable tightness in hubs. The inner spacer was not tight, =
it wobbled around inside the hub more than the .0125&#8221; free that =
adding up the numbers in the repair manual suggest (more like .15 inch =
short) although the bearings were against the shoulders and neither =
bearings nor inner spacer appeared worn axially. I found that the last =
assembly was missing the oil seal spacers on both side. There is some =
definite wear at the outer bearing spindle suggesting problems with =
solidarity of bearings and inner spacers, very possibly because of =
missing oil seal spacer.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Barney&#8217;s explanation is worth the read just to =
better understand bearings in general, but front MGA bearings =
specifically. My greatest difficulty in reading his missive was =
regarding the fit of the bearings on the spindle and inside the hubs. =
The suggestion is that the outer races should be press fit or close, =
while the inner races on the spindle should only by hand application =
tight. Barney, I don&#8217;t really understand why the inner races can =
be so relatively loose. Because of the relative damage to the spindle, a =
noticeable wear on one side of the spindle especially on the outer =
bearings,&nbsp; I would think that a slip fit inner race, even with =
axial compression, would allow potential spinning on the spindle causing =
wear similar to what I am seeing. Will I have a problem with gluing the =
inner races to the spindle? I realize this may make it difficult to =
dismantle later but perhaps a small amount of glue would be acceptable =
given the current wear? Moss doesn&#8217;t have replacement spindle =
knuckles, only hubs, which, with the new bearings I am buying, may still =
need to be purchased.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>At this =
point, I am purchasing bearings, all new spacers, oil seals, brake =
calipers, pads, disks, suspension kit, swivel links, bolts and side =
washers and associated swivel pins, tie rod ends. =
Expensive.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks for any illumination.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Clayton<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0384_01D0C172.17A8DF00--

--===============6445840410981966926==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============6445840410981966926==--