Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 13:37:48 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============0438714680187343458==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0E08_01D0B4CC.498C6490"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0E08_01D0B4CC.498C6490
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I don=E2=80=99t know what it would be from, but I don=E2=80=99t think it =
is. These are knock-off wirewheels  with left and right hand threads. =
They look like the ones in the manual and on Moss.

=20

crk

=20

From: Max Heim [mailto:[email-masked]]=20
Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2015 1:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

=20

That hub is from a different car?

=20

--

Max Heim

'66 MGB GHN3L76149

If you're near Menlo Park, CA,

it's the primer red one with chrome wires

And now 67 MGB GHN3U137949G

Old English White, off-premises for restoration

=20

On Jul 2, 2015, at 12:50 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs =

=20

Returning to our story=E2=80=A6. The consensus for the wire wheel hubs =
was that the inner and outer bearings were to tightly crimp the =
single-chamfered spacer between them by pressing the bearings in. That =
makes the three pieces essentially one, strengthing the three into one, =
eliminating any side forces on the bearings. I took my two spindles and =
associated bearings and center spacer to the machine shop. Guy says that =
the outer bearing was loose in its proper placement and I agree. He said =
the solution was a new spindle and bearings. Ok. The second spindle, =
however, is a different story: he pressed the two bearing in to their =
limit shoulders and the inner spacer still was flopping around inside, =
absolutely not crimped in place. He and I don=E2=80=99t understand this =
problem. Any insight??? There is a quarter inch thick spacer that I read =
as being outside of the bearings. Or is this supposed to be inside??

=20

At this point, it looks like I will be ordering both spindle and =
bearings. Fortunately, Moss has the parts on sale:<)++++

=20

TIA,

=20

Clayton

_______________________________________________

Archive:  <http://www.team.net/archive> http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  <http://www.team.net/forums> http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]> =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

=20

------=_NextPart_000_0E08_01D0B4CC.498C6490
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Verdana;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.apple-converted-space
	{mso-style-name:apple-converted-space;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>I don=E2=80=99t know what it would be from, but I don=E2=80=99t think =
it is. These are knock-off wirewheels=C2=A0 with left and right hand =
threads. They look like the ones in the manual and on =
Moss.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>crk<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>From:</span><=
/b><span style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'> =
Max Heim [mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> Thursday, July 02, =
2015 1:02 PM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: =
[Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension =
issues<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>That hub is =
from a different car?<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>--<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div=
><p class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>Max =
Heim<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>'66 MGB =
GHN3L76149<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>If you're near Menlo Park, =
CA,<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>it's the primer red one with =
chrome wires<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>And now 67 MGB =
GHN3U137949G<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>Old English White, off-premises =
for restoration<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>On Jul 2, 2015, at 12:50 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Returning to =
our story=E2=80=A6. The consensus for the wire wheel hubs was that the =
inner and outer bearings were to tightly crimp the single-chamfered =
spacer between them by pressing the bearings in. That makes the three =
pieces essentially one, strengthing the three into one, eliminating any =
side forces on the bearings. I took my two spindles and associated =
bearings and center spacer to the machine shop. Guy says that the outer =
bearing was loose in its proper placement and I agree. He said the =
solution was a new spindle and bearings. Ok. The second spindle, =
however, is a different story: he pressed the two bearing in to their =
limit shoulders and the inner spacer still was flopping around inside, =
absolutely not crimped in place. He and I don=E2=80=99t understand this =
problem. Any insight??? There is a quarter inch thick spacer that I read =
as being outside of the bearings. Or is this supposed to be =
inside??<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>&nbsp;<o:p></=
o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>At this =
point, it looks like I will be ordering both spindle and bearings. =
Fortunately, Moss has the parts on =
sale:&lt;)++++<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>&nbsp;<o:p></=
o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>TIA,<o:p></o:=
p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>&nbsp;<o:p></=
o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Clayton<o:p><=
/o:p></span></p></div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif'>______________=
_________________________________<br><br></span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#954F72'>=
[email-masked]</span></a><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif'><br>Donate:<sp=
an class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#954F72'>=
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif'><br>Suggested =
annual donation &nbsp;$12.75<br>Archive:<span =
class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#954F72'>=
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif'><br>Forums:<sp=
an class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#954F72'>=
http://www.team.net/forums</span></a><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif'><br>Unsubscrib=
e:<span class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]"><span=
 =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#954F72'>=
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</span></a><o:p=
></o:p></p></div></blockquote></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0E08_01D0B4CC.498C6490--

--===============0438714680187343458==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============0438714680187343458==--

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 11:11:55 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2149305584684811389==
 boundary="------------080304040107040303050702"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------080304040107040303050702
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Sounds like you've left the shims out.  The end play of the bearings is 
set by the thickness of the shims between the bearings and the spacer.  
The more shim thickness, the less end play and vice-versa. The shims 
come in various thicknesses, you select the thicknesses to combine i 
order to arrive at the proper end play.

Suggest you buy the factory shop manual and read up on it.

CR

On 7/2/2015 2:50 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs wrote:
>
> Returning to our story…. The consensus for the wire wheel hubs was 
> that the inner and outer bearings were to tightly crimp the 
> single-chamfered spacer between them by pressing the bearings in. That 
> makes the three pieces essentially one, strengthing the three into 
> one, eliminating any side forces on the bearings. I took my two 
> spindles and associated bearings and center spacer to the machine 
> shop. Guy says that the outer bearing was loose in its proper 
> placement and I agree. He said the solution was a new spindle and 
> bearings. Ok. The second spindle, however, is a different story: he 
> pressed the two bearing in to their limit shoulders and the inner 
> spacer still was flopping around inside, absolutely not crimped in 
> place. He and I don’t understand this problem. Any insight??? There is 
> a quarter inch thick spacer that I read as being outside of the 
> bearings. Or is this supposed to be inside??
>
> At this point, it looks like I will be ordering both spindle and 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--------------080304040107040303050702
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    Sounds like you've left the shims out.  The end play of the bearings
    is set by the thickness of the shims between the bearings and the
    spacer.  The more shim thickness, the less end play and vice-versa. 
    The shims come in various thicknesses, you select the thicknesses to
    combine i order to arrive at the proper end play.<br>
    <br>
    Suggest you buy the factory shop manual and read up on it.<br>
    <br>
    CR<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 7/2/2015 2:50 PM, Clayton Kirkwood
      via Mgs wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered
        medium)">
      <style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal">Returning to our story…. The consensus for
          the wire wheel hubs was that the inner and outer bearings were
          to tightly crimp the single-chamfered spacer between them by
          pressing the bearings in. That makes the three pieces
          essentially one, strengthing the three into one, eliminating
          any side forces on the bearings. I took my two spindles and
          associated bearings and center spacer to the machine shop. Guy
          says that the outer bearing was loose in its proper placement
          and I agree. He said the solution was a new spindle and
          bearings. Ok. The second spindle, however, is a different
          story: he pressed the two bearing in to their limit shoulders
          and the inner spacer still was flopping around inside,
          absolutely not crimped in place. He and I don’t understand
          this problem. Any insight??? There is a quarter inch thick
          spacer that I read as being outside of the bearings. Or is
          this supposed to be inside??<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">At this point, it looks like I will be
          ordering both spindle and bearings. Fortunately, Moss has the
          parts on sale:&lt;)++++<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">TIA,<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Clayton<o:p></o:p></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------080304040107040303050702--

--===============2149305584684811389==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2149305584684811389==--

---

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 09:55:19 -0700

--===============7949555709851214898==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0F18_01D0B576.5F0BED90"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0F18_01D0B576.5F0BED90
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I believe there are no shims on the MGA like there are on the MGB, according
to a previous post from someone. I've got the manual and I didn't see
anything about shims. The slop on that inner spacer is around 3/8 inch,
unlikely such a large shim requirement.

Clayton

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 9:12 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

Sounds like you've left the shims out.  The end play of the bearings is set
by the thickness of the shims between the bearings and the spacer.  The more
shim thickness, the less end play and vice-versa.  The shims come in various
thicknesses, you select the thicknesses to combine i order to arrive at the
proper end play.

CR

Returning to our story.. The consensus for the wire wheel hubs was that the
inner and outer bearings were to tightly crimp the single-chamfered spacer
between them by pressing the bearings in. That makes the three pieces
essentially one, strengthing the three into one, eliminating any side forces
on the bearings. I took my two spindles and associated bearings and center
spacer to the machine shop. Guy says that the outer bearing was loose in its
proper placement and I agree. He said the solution was a new spindle and
bearings. Ok. The second spindle, however, is a different story: he pressed
the two bearing in to their limit shoulders and the inner spacer still was
flopping around inside, absolutely not crimped in place. He and I don't
understand this problem. Any insight??? There is a quarter inch thick spacer
that I read as being outside of the bearings. Or is this supposed to be
inside??

At this point, it looks like I will be ordering both spindle and bearings.
Fortunately, Moss has the parts on sale:<)++++

TIA,

Clayton

------=_NextPart_000_0F18_01D0B576.5F0BED90
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:Consolas;
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body bgcolor=3Dwhite =
lang=3DEN-US link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I believe there are no shims on the MGA like =
there are on the MGB, according to a previous post from someone. =
I&#8217;ve got the manual and I didn&#8217;t see anything about shims. =
The slop on that inner spacer is around 3/8 inch, unlikely such a large =
shim requirement.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Clayton<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext'>From:</span></b><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext'> Charley &amp; Peggy Robinson =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, July 03, 2015 9:12 =
AM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]; =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 =
suspension issues<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Sounds like you've left the shims =
out.&nbsp; The end play of the bearings is set by the thickness of the =
shims between the bearings and the spacer.&nbsp; The more shim =
thickness, the less end play and vice-versa.&nbsp; The shims come in =
various thicknesses, you select the thicknesses to combine i order to =
arrive at the proper end play.<br><br>Suggest you buy the factory shop =
manual and read up on it.<br><br>CR<span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p></o:p></span></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>On 7/2/2015 2:50 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Returning to our story&#8230;. The consensus for the =
wire wheel hubs was that the inner and outer bearings were to tightly =
crimp the single-chamfered spacer between them by pressing the bearings =
in. That makes the three pieces essentially one, strengthing the three =
into one, eliminating any side forces on the bearings. I took my two =
spindles and associated bearings and center spacer to the machine shop. =
Guy says that the outer bearing was loose in its proper placement and I =
agree. He said the solution was a new spindle and bearings. Ok. The =
second spindle, however, is a different story: he pressed the two =
bearing in to their limit shoulders and the inner spacer still was =
flopping around inside, absolutely not crimped in place. He and I =
don&#8217;t understand this problem. Any insight??? There is a quarter =
inch thick spacer that I read as being outside of the bearings. Or is =
this supposed to be inside??<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>At this =
point, it looks like I will be ordering both spindle and bearings. =
Fortunately, Moss has the parts on sale:&lt;)++++<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>TIA,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Clayton<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><br><br><br><o:p></o:p></span></p><pre>____________________=
___________________________<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre><=
pre><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><o:p></o:p></pre=
><pre>Donate: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html<=
/a><o:p></o:p></pre><pre>Suggested annual donation&nbsp; =
$12.75<o:p></o:p></pre><pre>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><o:p>=
</o:p></pre><pre>Forums: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a><o:p></=
o:p></pre><pre>Unsubscribe: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http:=
//autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a><o:p></o:p></pre=
></blockquote><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0F18_01D0B576.5F0BED90--

--===============7949555709851214898==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7949555709851214898==--

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 13:05:13 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4119703123078722645==
 boundary="------------040900050604030007050102"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------040900050604030007050102
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

See here:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/4024526937_b73ecbdd94.jpg

The shims are included with item #40.

CR

On 7/3/2015 11:55 AM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs wrote:
>
> I believe there are no shims on the MGA like there are on the MGB, 
> according to a previous post from someone. I’ve got the manual and I 
> didn’t see anything about shims. The slop on that inner spacer is 
> around 3/8 inch, unlikely such a large shim requirement.
>
> Clayton
>
> *From:*Charley & Peggy Robinson [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *Sent:* Friday, July 03, 2015 9:12 AM
> *To:* [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> *Subject:* Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues
>
> combine i order to arrive at the proper end play.
>
>     single-chamfered spacer between them by pressing the bearings in.
>     That makes the three pieces essentially one, strengthing the three
>     into one, eliminating any side forces on the bearings. I took my
>     two spindles and associated bearings and center spacer to the
>     machine shop. Guy says that the outer bearing was loose in its
>     proper placement and I agree. He said the solution was a new
>     spindle and bearings. Ok. The second spindle, however, is a
>     different story: he pressed the two bearing in to their limit
>     shoulders and the inner spacer still was flopping around inside,
>     absolutely not crimped in place. He and I don’t understand this
>     problem. Any insight??? There is a quarter inch thick spacer that
>     I read as being outside of the bearings. Or is this supposed to be
>     inside??
>
>     Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
>
>     Archive:http://www.team.net/archive
>
>     Forums:http://www.team.net/forums
>
>     Unsubscribe:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
>
>
>

--------------040900050604030007050102
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    See here:<br>
    <br>
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/4024526937_b73ecbdd94.jpg">http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/4024526937_b73ecbdd94.jpg</a><br>
    <br>
    The shims are included with item #40.<br>
    <br>
    CR<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 7/3/2015 11:55 AM, Clayton Kirkwood
      via Mgs wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered
        medium)">
      <style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:Consolas;
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:#1F497D">I believe there
            are no shims on the MGA like there are on the MGB, according
            to a previous post from someone. I’ve got the manual and I
            didn’t see anything about shims. The slop on that inner
            spacer is around 3/8 inch, unlikely such a large shim
            requirement.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:#1F497D">Clayton<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <div>
          <div style="border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1
            1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in">
            <p class="MsoNormal"><b><span style="color:windowtext">From:</span></b><span
                style="color:windowtext"> Charley &amp; Peggy Robinson
                [<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:[email-masked]</a>] <br>
                <b>Sent:</b> Friday, July 03, 2015 9:12 AM<br>
                <b>To:</b> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>; <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
                <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622
                suspension issues<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          </div>
        </div>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:12.0pt">Sounds like
          you've left the shims out.  The end play of the bearings is
          set by the thickness of the shims between the bearings and the
          spacer.  The more shim thickness, the less end play and
          vice-versa.  The shims come in various thicknesses, you select
          the thicknesses to combine i order to arrive at the proper end
          play.<br>
          <br>
          Suggest you buy the factory shop manual and read up on it.<br>
          <br>
          CR<span style="font-size:12.0pt"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <div>
          <p class="MsoNormal">On 7/2/2015 2:50 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via
            Mgs wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
        </div>
        <blockquote style="margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt">
          <p class="MsoNormal">Returning to our story…. The consensus
            for the wire wheel hubs was that the inner and outer
            bearings were to tightly crimp the single-chamfered spacer
            between them by pressing the bearings in. That makes the
            three pieces essentially one, strengthing the three into
            one, eliminating any side forces on the bearings. I took my
            two spindles and associated bearings and center spacer to
            the machine shop. Guy says that the outer bearing was loose
            in its proper placement and I agree. He said the solution
            was a new spindle and bearings. Ok. The second spindle,
            however, is a different story: he pressed the two bearing in
            to their limit shoulders and the inner spacer still was
            flopping around inside, absolutely not crimped in place. He
            and I don’t understand this problem. Any insight??? There is
            a quarter inch thick spacer that I read as being outside of
            the bearings. Or is this supposed to be inside??<o:p></o:p></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal"> <o:p></o:p></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal">At this point, it looks like I will be
            ordering both spindle and bearings. Fortunately, Moss has
            the parts on sale:&lt;)++++<o:p></o:p></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal"> <o:p></o:p></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal">TIA,<o:p></o:p></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal"> <o:p></o:p></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal">Clayton<o:p></o:p></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
              Roman&quot;,serif"><br>
              <br>
              <br>
              <o:p></o:p></span></p>
          <pre>_______________________________________________<o:p></o:p></pre>
          <pre><o:p> </o:p></pre>
          <pre><a moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><o:p></o:p></pre>
          <pre>Donate: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><o:p></o:p></pre>
          <pre>Suggested annual donation  $12.75<o:p></o:p></pre>
          <pre>Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><o:p></o:p></pre>
          <pre>Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a><o:p></o:p></pre>
          <pre>Unsubscribe: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a><o:p></o:p></pre>
        </blockquote>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
            Roman&quot;,serif"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

--------------040900050604030007050102--

--===============4119703123078722645==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4119703123078722645==--

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 13:14:08 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8800292099189721679==
 boundary="------------060304030904030803000106"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------060304030904030803000106
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Additionally, see here: 
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/books/wsm/wsm_k_front_susp.pdf

Look at section KKK.3 for info on the shimming.

CR

>     bearings. Fortunately, Moss has the parts on sale:<)++++

--------------060304030904030803000106
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    Additionally, see here:
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/books/wsm/wsm_k_front_susp.pdf">http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/books/wsm/wsm_k_front_susp.pdf</a><br>
    Look at section KKK.3 for info on the shimming.<br>

--------------060304030904030803000106--

--===============8800292099189721679==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8800292099189721679==--

---

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 11:24:18 -0700

--===============7564426236732978092==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0F5E_01D0B582.CD6B6D90"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0F5E_01D0B582.CD6B6D90
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Um, Charley, that's a nice picture of a plane, but I don't think it has the
shims you speak of:<)))

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 11:05 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

See here:

CR

Clayton

CR

TIA,

Clayton

 

------=_NextPart_000_0F5E_01D0B582.CD6B6D90
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Times New Roman \,serif";
	panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";
	color:black;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:Consolas;
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle21
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body bgcolor=3Dwhite =
lang=3DEN-US link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Um, Charley, that&#8217;s a nice picture of a =
plane, but I don&#8217;t think it has the shims you speak =
of:&lt;)))<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext'>From:</span></b><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext'> Charley &amp; Peggy Robinson =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, July 03, 2015 11:05 =
AM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]; =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 =
suspension issues<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>See here:<br><br><a =
href=3D"http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/4024526937_b73ecbdd94.jpg">ht=
tp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/4024526937_b73ecbdd94.jpg</a><br><br>Th=
e shims are included with item #40.<br><br>CR<span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p></o:p></span></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>On 7/3/2015 11:55 AM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I believe there are no =
shims on the MGA like there are on the MGB, according to a previous post =
from someone. I&#8217;ve got the manual and I didn&#8217;t see anything =
about shims. The slop on that inner spacer is around 3/8 inch, unlikely =
such a large shim requirement.</span><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Clayton</span><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext'>From:</span></b><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext'> Charley &amp; Peggy Robinson [<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:[email-masked]</a>] =
<br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, July 03, 2015 9:12 AM<br><b>To:</b> <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>; <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br><b>Subject:<=
/b> Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension =
issues</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Sounds like you've left the shims =
out.&nbsp; The end play of the bearings is set by the thickness of the =
shims between the bearings and the spacer.&nbsp; The more shim =
thickness, the less end play and vice-versa.&nbsp; The shims come in =
various thicknesses, you select the thicknesses to combine i order to =
arrive at the proper end play.<br><br>Suggest you buy the factory shop =
manual and read up on it.<br><br>CR<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>On 7/2/2015 2:50 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Returning to our story&#8230;. The consensus for the =
wire wheel hubs was that the inner and outer bearings were to tightly =
crimp the single-chamfered spacer between them by pressing the bearings =
in. That makes the three pieces essentially one, strengthing the three =
into one, eliminating any side forces on the bearings. I took my two =
spindles and associated bearings and center spacer to the machine shop. =
Guy says that the outer bearing was loose in its proper placement and I =
agree. He said the solution was a new spindle and bearings. Ok. The =
second spindle, however, is a different story: he pressed the two =
bearing in to their limit shoulders and the inner spacer still was =
flopping around inside, absolutely not crimped in place. He and I =
don&#8217;t understand this problem. Any insight??? There is a quarter =
inch thick spacer that I read as being outside of the bearings. Or is =
this supposed to be inside??<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>At this =
point, it looks like I will be ordering both spindle and bearings. =
Fortunately, Moss has the parts on sale:&lt;)++++<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>TIA,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Clayton<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman =
,serif",serif'><br><br><br><br></span><o:p></o:p></p><pre>_______________=
________________________________<o:p></o:p></pre><pre>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></=
pre><pre><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><o:p></o:p></pre=
></blockquote><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman =
,serif",serif'>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><br><br><br><o:p></o:p></span></p><pre>____________________=
___________________________<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre><=
pre><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><o:p></o:p></pre=
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0F5E_01D0B582.CD6B6D90--

--===============7564426236732978092==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7564426236732978092==--

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 13:25:21 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============6752729124907486239==
 boundary="------------050708040900050504070308"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------050708040900050504070308
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

You might want to look at the KK.3 parts exploded view to see if you 
have all the parts in your hubs.

CR

>     bearings. Fortunately, Moss has the parts on sale:<)++++

--------------050708040900050504070308
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    You might want to look at the KK.3 parts exploded view to see if you
    have all the parts in your hubs.<br>

--------------050708040900050504070308--

--===============6752729124907486239==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6752729124907486239==--

---

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 11:32:41 -0700

--===============1151455628284541537==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0F63_01D0B583.F9874740"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0F63_01D0B583.F9874740
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I know I confused things a couple of weeks ago, but I have recanted: I don't
have a deluxe or twin cam, I only have a 1622 which has the regular disks up
front. From the picture that you provided, which matches my own, the regular
1600 doesn't have any shims; the deluxe does and they are part of the Dunlop
brakes.

crk

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 11:14 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

Additionally, see here:

CR

Clayton

CR

TIA,

Clayton

 

------=_NextPart_000_0F63_01D0B583.F9874740
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I know I confused things a couple of weeks ago, =
but I have recanted: I don&#8217;t have a deluxe or twin cam, I only =
have a 1622 which has the regular disks up front. From the picture that =
you provided, which matches my own, the regular 1600 doesn&#8217;t have =
any shims; the deluxe does and they are part of the Dunlop =
brakes.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>crk<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, July 03, 2015 11:14 =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Additionally, see here: <a =
href=3D"http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/books/wsm/wsm_k_front_susp.pdf">http://=
mgaguru.com/mgtech/books/wsm/wsm_k_front_susp.pdf</a><br><br>Look at =
section KKK.3 for info on the shimming.<br><br>CR<span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0F63_01D0B583.F9874740--

--===============1151455628284541537==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1151455628284541537==--

---

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 11:40:46 -0700

--===============5930907846258286342==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0F74_01D0B585.1A460A60"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0F74_01D0B585.1A460A60
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I have all of the pieces. The relevant pieces are the hub, inner spacer, and
two bearings, no shims. The hub is supposed to have shoulders so the
bearings are limited to how far they go in. What has been discussed in the
past is that the bearings should bind against the inner spacer, therefore
before one or both of the bearing are seated against the hub inner
shoulders. The machinist says he pressed the bearing until he hit the
shoulders. Therefore, the inner spacer is flopping around inside with tons
of endplay.

crk

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 11:25 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

You might want to look at the KK.3 parts exploded view to see if you have
all the parts in your hubs.

CR

Clayton

CR

TIA,

Clayton

 

------=_NextPart_000_0F74_01D0B585.1A460A60
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I have all of the pieces. The relevant pieces =
are the hub, inner spacer, and two bearings, no shims. The hub is =
supposed to have shoulders so the bearings are limited to how far they =
go in. What has been discussed in the past is that the bearings should =
bind against the inner spacer, therefore before one or both of the =
bearing are seated against the hub inner shoulders. The machinist says =
he pressed the bearing until he hit the shoulders. Therefore, the inner =
spacer is flopping around inside with tons of =
endplay.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, July 03, 2015 11:25 =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>You might want to look at the KK.3 parts =
exploded view to see if you have all the parts in your =
hubs.<br><br>CR<span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0F74_01D0B585.1A460A60--

--===============5930907846258286342==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5930907846258286342==--

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 15:11:30 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============9189896602175037914==
 boundary="------------040509050103090507000806"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------040509050103090507000806
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Argh!  Here's the intended page:

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29224

I looked more carefully.  There is a different spacer, outer bearing & 
the shims for the Mk II DeLuxe & Twin Cam.

Trying to find the right MGA is a PITA.  It looks like the Mk.II DeLuxe 
had a 1622cc engine but it's still located as a MGA 1600 in most of the 
manuals.  I wish Barney would check in.

CR

On 7/3/2015 1:24 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs wrote:
>
> Um, Charley, that’s a nice picture of a plane, but I don’t think it 
> has the shims you speak of:<)))
>
>

--------------040509050103090507000806
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    Argh!  Here's the intended page:<br>
    <br>
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29224">http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29224</a><br>
    <br>
    I looked more carefully.  There is a different spacer, outer bearing
    &amp; the shims for the Mk II DeLuxe &amp; Twin Cam.<br>
    <br>
    Trying to find the right MGA is a PITA.  It looks like the Mk.II
    DeLuxe had a 1622cc engine but it's still located as a MGA 1600 in
    most of the manuals.  I wish Barney would check in.<br>
    <br>
    CR<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 7/3/2015 1:24 PM, Clayton Kirkwood
      via Mgs wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered
        medium)">
      <style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Times New Roman \,serif";
	panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";
	color:black;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:Consolas;
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle21
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:#1F497D">Um, Charley,
            that’s a nice picture of a plane, but I don’t think it has
            the shims you speak of:&lt;)))<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <br>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------040509050103090507000806--

--===============9189896602175037914==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============9189896602175037914==--

---

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 13:39:51 -0700

--===============3702026153305897181==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0023_01D0B595.CAA8D080"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01D0B595.CAA8D080
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Yep. From what I've learned here, one of the big differences between a 1600
and 1622 MkI and MkII v. the deluxe and twin cam, is the brakes. Up front,
the deluxe and twin cam have the Dunlop braking which do require the shims.
It isn't shown in the picture you quoted, but below in the listing, there
are shims listed for the deluxe and twin cam.

crk

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 1:12 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

I looked more carefully.  There is a different spacer, outer bearing & the
shims for the Mk II DeLuxe & Twin Cam.

Trying to find the right MGA is a PITA.  It looks like the Mk.II DeLuxe had
a 1622cc engine but it's still located as a MGA 1600 in most of the manuals.
I wish Barney would check in.

CR

 

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01D0B595.CAA8D080
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";
	color:black;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:Consolas;
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle21
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle22
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body bgcolor=3Dwhite =
lang=3DEN-US link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Yep. From what I&#8217;ve learned here, one of =
the big differences between a 1600 and 1622 MkI and MkII v. the deluxe =
and twin cam, is the brakes. Up front, the deluxe and twin cam have the =
Dunlop braking which do require the shims. It isn&#8217;t shown in the =
picture you quoted, but below in the listing, there are shims listed for =
the deluxe and twin cam.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>crk<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext'>From:</span></b><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext'> Charley &amp; Peggy Robinson =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, July 03, 2015 1:12 =
PM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]; =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 =
suspension issues<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Argh!&nbsp; Here's the intended =
page:<br><br><a =
href=3D"http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=3D2=
9224">http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=3D292=
24</a><br><br>I looked more carefully.&nbsp; There is a different =
spacer, outer bearing &amp; the shims for the Mk II DeLuxe &amp; Twin =
Cam.<br><br>Trying to find the right MGA is a PITA.&nbsp; It looks like =
the Mk.II DeLuxe had a 1622cc engine but it's still located as a MGA =
1600 in most of the manuals.&nbsp; I wish Barney would check =
in.<br><br>CR<span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p></o:p></span></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>On 7/3/2015 1:24 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Um, Charley, =
that&#8217;s a nice picture of a plane, but I don&#8217;t think it has =
the shims you speak of:&lt;)))</span><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></blockquote><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0023_01D0B595.CAA8D080--

--===============3702026153305897181==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3702026153305897181==--

---

From: Barney Gaylord via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 15:41:11 -0600

--===============2844691334899005259==
	boundary="=====================_433658968==.ALT"

--=====================_433658968==.ALT

As requested, checking in.

The MGA Twin Cam cars and the "Deluxe" cars  with pin drive steel 
wheels and Dunlop all wheel disc brakes use tapered rolller bearings 
up front and do require shims.

The MGA 1500, 1600 and 1600-MK-II with Lockheed brakes all use ball 
bearings in the front hubs.  These do not use shims.  Distance 
between shoulders in the rotating hub is eactly same as length of the 
inner race spacer.  This holds inner and outer bearing races exactly 
same distance apart when the spindle nut is tight.  Internal bearing 
clearance is then a function of quality of construction of the ball 
bearings.  If the bearings are loose they need to be replaced.  If 
the outer races get loose in the rotating hub thebn the hub needs to 
be replaced.  If wear in the hub bore is not too bad, you might set 
the bearings into the hub with Loctite 620 bearing set adhesive.  The 
adhesive may require heat for future disassembly.

With inner race spacer in place, and both bearings pressed in with 
outer races firmly against the hub shoulders, the inner races should 
touch the spacer.  Since there is a bit of internal clearance in the 
bearings, the spacer may move around.  If you squeeze the inner races 
together with the spacer, this shoud hold the spacer in 
suspension.  If there is clearance between inner races and the spacer 
when pressed together, then there is a mismatch of parts (spacer 
length not matching distance between shoulders of the hub).

I don't have parts in hand to measure at the moment.  Perhaps someone 
can measure and post length of the inner race spacer for reference.

Barney (in Utah today).

At 01:39 PM 7/3/2015 -0700, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs wrote:
>....
>Yep. From what I've learned here, one of the big differences between 
>a 1600 and 1622 MkI and MkII v. the deluxe and twin cam, is the 
>brakes. Up front, the deluxe and twin cam have the Dunlop braking 
>which do require the shims. It isn't shown in the picture you 
>quoted, but below in the listing, there are shims listed for the 
>deluxe and twin cam.
>
>crk

>.... Here's the intended page:
><http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29224>http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29224
>
>& the shims for the Mk II DeLuxe & Twin Cam.
>
>most of the manuals.  I wish Barney would check in.
>
>CR

--=====================_433658968==.ALT

<html>
<body>
As requested, checking in.<br><br>
The MGA Twin Cam cars and the &quot;Deluxe&quot; cars&nbsp; with pin
drive steel wheels and Dunlop all wheel disc brakes use tapered rolller
bearings up front and do require shims.<br><br>
The MGA 1500, 1600 and 1600-MK-II with Lockheed brakes all use ball
bearings in the front hubs.&nbsp; These do not use shims.&nbsp; Distance
between shoulders in the rotating hub is eactly same as length of the
inner race spacer.&nbsp; This holds inner and outer bearing races exactly
same distance apart when the spindle nut is tight.&nbsp; Internal bearing
clearance is then a function of quality of construction of the ball
bearings.&nbsp; If the bearings are loose they need to be replaced.&nbsp;
If the outer races get loose in the rotating hub thebn the hub needs to
be replaced.&nbsp; If wear in the hub bore is not too bad, you might set
the bearings into the hub with Loctite 620 bearing set adhesive.&nbsp;
The adhesive may require heat for future disassembly.<br><br>
With inner race spacer in place, and both bearings pressed in with outer
races firmly against the hub shoulders, the inner races should touch the
spacer.&nbsp; Since there is a bit of internal clearance in the bearings,
the spacer may move around.&nbsp; If you squeeze the inner races together
with the spacer, this shoud hold the spacer in suspension.&nbsp; If there
is clearance between inner races and the spacer when pressed together,
then there is a mismatch of parts (spacer length not matching distance
between shoulders of the hub).<br><br>
I don't have parts in hand to measure at the moment.&nbsp; Perhaps
someone can measure and post length of the inner race spacer for
reference.<br><br>
Barney (in Utah today).<br><br>
<br><br>
At 01:39 PM 7/3/2015 -0700, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite="">....<br>
Yep. From what I’ve learned here, one of the big differences between a
1600 and 1622 MkI and MkII v. the deluxe and twin cam, is the brakes. Up
front, the deluxe and twin cam have the Dunlop braking which do require
the shims. It isn’t shown in the picture you quoted, but below in the
listing, there are shims listed for the deluxe and twin cam.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
crk</blockquote><br><br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite=""><b>From:</b> Charley &amp; Peggy
Robinson
[<a href="mailto:[email-masked]" eudora="autourl">
mailto:[email-masked]</a>] <br>
<b>Sent:</b> Friday, July 03, 2015 1:12 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked]; [email-masked]<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues<br>
&nbsp;<br>
....  Here's the intended page:<br>
<a href="http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29224">
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29224</a>
<br><br>
I looked more carefully.&nbsp; There is a different spacer, outer bearing
&amp; the shims for the Mk II DeLuxe &amp; Twin Cam.<br><br>
Trying to find the right MGA is a PITA.&nbsp; It looks like the Mk.II
DeLuxe had a 1622cc engine but it's still located as a MGA 1600 in most
of the manuals.&nbsp; I wish Barney would check in.<br><br>
CR</blockquote></body>
</html>

--=====================_433658968==.ALT--

--===============2844691334899005259==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2844691334899005259==--

---

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 15:17:23 -0700

--===============1964653016496715203==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_003E_01D0B5A3.69169A10"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01D0B5A3.69169A10
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

The car=E2=80=99s been running for years. What started all of this is at =
high highway speeds, I=E2=80=99d get a bit of shimmy and knocking. In =
the Land Rover West Coast list, I got infected with Nigel=E2=80=99s =
disease, whereby if I have a problem and go to fix it, another problem =
presents itself ad infinitum. So I took the knock off wire wheels off =
and bought a complete suspension kit from Moss. To put some of the new =
parts on, I had to remove the hub (specifically for the new oil seal). =
In doing that, one hub came off with both bearings attached to the hub =
with the spacer inside flopping around. This is the side the machinist =
pressed the bearings in until the hit the =E2=80=9Csupposed=E2=80=9D =
shoulder inside the hub. After he was done, the inner spacer still =
flopped around. The other hub came off with the inner bearing staying =
with the spindle. He started to press this inner bearing back in, but it =
was sloppy and kind of slipped in, and therefore I have to buy a new hub =
and bits. The manual says that the bearing may not come out with the =
hub. It also says that the bearings shouldn=E2=80=99t be removed unless =
absolutely necessary as it causes wear as the bearing come in and out. =
In the process, I found that neither front brake caliper seemed to work: =
the pistons wouldn=E2=80=99t move manually and trying to move them =
deeper was too difficult. The whole cylinder looked kind of welded to =
the piston, the disk looked like it hadn=E2=80=99t seen action on either =
side. I then also measured the thickness and it is under spec, so new =
parts all around for brakes. Then the top and bottom swivels =
weren=E2=80=99t wide enough, when trying to press out those bearing, so =
let=E2=80=99s buy some really expensive swivels. Nigel=E2=80=99s =
disease: find one problem and then find more, and more=E2=80=A6

=20

Clayton

=20

From: Max Heim [mailto:[email-masked]]=20
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 1:03 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

=20

I have to concur with your lack of confidence in this machinist. But =
I=E2=80=99m struck by the fact that the problem manifests differently on =
either side. That=E2=80=99s why I asked if you might possibly have =
mismatched parts. Was this a running car? What was the symptom that made =
you disassemble the hubs?

=20

=20

--

Max Heim

'66 MGB GHN3L76149

=20

On Jul 3, 2015, at 12:23 PM, Clayton Kirkwood <[email-masked] =

=20

I took both sides in to the machinist; one side had a bearing in but the =
other bearing came out along with the then free inner spacer with the =
chamfered end. The other hub came out intact, but the inner spacer was =
flopping around between the bearings. The first hub, he pressed the =
bearings back in fully to the shoulder, so he says, but the inner spacer =
was still floppy inside. On the second hub, he inserted the inner spacer =
and then tried to press in the free bearing but it wasn=E2=80=99t snug: =
the bearing was easily slipping in and out of the hub. He said this hub =
needed to be completely replaced. I don=E2=80=99t have the greatest =
confidence in this guy, I don=E2=80=99t know if he tried to press this =
second bearing in all the way where it may be snug, or he may have just =
inserted the bearing into the hub and initially it was loose and he =
assumed pressing the bearing in all the way would still be loose. Since =
this bearing came out when I removed the hub from the spindle, I think =
it reasonable that it wasn=E2=80=99t going to be tight all the way in on =
the spindle, otherwise, it would have stayed in the hub.

So one side the bearing won=E2=80=99t go up tight to the inner spacer, =
and the second side=E2=80=99s bearing won=E2=80=99t press in tight in =
the hub.

=20

crk

=20

From: Max Heim [mailto:[email-masked]]=20
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

=20

You mention a second spindle. Are you saying that this problem only =
exists on one side?

=20

--

Max Heim

'66 MGB GHN3L76149

=20

On Jul 3, 2015, at 11:40 AM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs < =

=20

I have all of the pieces. The relevant pieces are the hub, inner spacer, =
and two bearings, no shims. The hub is supposed to have shoulders so the =
bearings are limited to how far they go in. What has been discussed in =
the past is that the bearings should bind against the inner spacer, =
therefore before one or both of the bearing are seated against the hub =
inner shoulders. The machinist says he pressed the bearing until he hit =
the shoulders. Therefore, the inner spacer is flopping around inside =
with tons of endplay.

=20

crk

=20

mailto:[email-masked]]=20
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

=20

You might want to look at the KK.3 parts exploded view to see if you =
have all the parts in your hubs.

CR

I believe there are no shims on the MGA like there are on the MGB, =
according to a previous post from someone. I=E2=80=99ve got the manual =
and I didn=E2=80=99t see anything about shims. The slop on that inner =
spacer is around 3/8 inch, unlikely such a large shim requirement.

=20

Clayton

=20

mailto:[email-masked]]=20
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

=20

Sounds like you've left the shims out.  The end play of the bearings is =
set by the thickness of the shims between the bearings and the spacer.  =
The more shim thickness, the less end play and vice-versa.  The shims =
come in various thicknesses, you select the thicknesses to combine i =
order to arrive at the proper end play.

CR

=20

=20

TIA,

=20

Clayton

_______________________________________________
=20
Archive:  <http://www.team.net/archive> http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  <http://www.team.net/forums> http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]> =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

=20

_______________________________________________
=20
Archive:  <http://www.team.net/archive> http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  <http://www.team.net/forums> http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]> =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

=20

=20

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01D0B5A3.69169A10
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

	font-family:"Courier New";}
	font-family:Consolas;}
>The car=E2=80=99s been running for years. What started all of this is =
at high highway speeds, I=E2=80=99d get a bit of shimmy and knocking. In =
the Land Rover West Coast list, I got infected with Nigel=E2=80=99s =
disease, whereby if I have a problem and go to fix it, another problem =
presents itself ad infinitum. So I took the knock off wire wheels off =
and bought a complete suspension kit from Moss. To put some of the new =
parts on, I had to remove the hub (specifically for the new oil seal). =
In doing that, one hub came off with both bearings attached to the hub =
with the spacer inside flopping around. This is the side the machinist =
pressed the bearings in until the hit the =E2=80=9Csupposed=E2=80=9D =
shoulder inside the hub. After he was done, the inner spacer still =
flopped around. The other hub came off with the inner bearing staying =
with the spindle. He started to press this inner bearing back in, but it =
was sloppy and kind of slipped in, and therefore I have to buy a new hub =
and bits. The manual says that the bearing may not come out with the =
hub. It also says that the bearings shouldn=E2=80=99t be removed unless =
absolutely necessary as it causes wear as the bearing come in and out. =
In the process, I found that neither front brake caliper seemed to work: =
the pistons wouldn=E2=80=99t move manually and trying to move them =
deeper was too difficult. The whole cylinder looked kind of welded to =
the piston, the disk looked like it hadn=E2=80=99t seen action on either =
side. I then also measured the thickness and it is under spec, so new =
parts all around for brakes. Then the top and bottom swivels =
weren=E2=80=99t wide enough, when trying to press out those bearing, so =
let=E2=80=99s buy some really expensive swivels. Nigel=E2=80=99s =
disease: find one problem and then find more, and =
more=E2=80=A6<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Clayton<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>From:</span><=
/b><span style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'> =
Max Heim [mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, July 03, =
2015 1:03 PM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: =
[Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension =
issues<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I have to =
concur with your lack of confidence in this machinist. But I=E2=80=99m =
struck by the fact that the problem manifests differently on either =
side. That=E2=80=99s why I asked if you might possibly have mismatched =
parts. Was this a running car? What was the symptom that made you =
disassemble the hubs?<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>--<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div=
class=3DMsoNormal>On Jul 3, 2015, at 12:23 PM, Clayton Kirkwood &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
>I took both sides in to the machinist; one side had a bearing in but =
the other bearing came out along with the then free inner spacer with =
the chamfered end. The other hub came out intact, but the inner spacer =
was flopping around between the bearings. The first hub, he pressed the =
bearings back in fully to the shoulder, so he says, but the inner spacer =
was still floppy inside. On the second hub, he inserted the inner spacer =
and then tried to press in the free bearing but it wasn=E2=80=99t snug: =
the bearing was easily slipping in and out of the hub. He said this hub =
needed to be completely replaced. I don=E2=80=99t have the greatest =
confidence in this guy, I don=E2=80=99t know if he tried to press this =
second bearing in all the way where it may be snug, or he may have just =
inserted the bearing into the hub and initially it was loose and he =
assumed pressing the bearing in all the way would still be loose. Since =
this bearing came out when I removed the hub from the spindle, I think =
it reasonable that it wasn=E2=80=99t going to be tight all the way in on =
the spindle, otherwise, it would have stayed in the =
hub.</span><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>So one side the bearing won=E2=80=99t go up tight to the inner spacer, =
and the second side=E2=80=99s bearing won=E2=80=99t press in tight in =
the hub.</span><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
>crk</span><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>From:</span><=
/b><span class=3Dapple-converted-space><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>&nbsp;</span>=
</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Max Heim [<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:[email-masked]</a>]<span =
class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span><br><b>Sent:</b><span =
class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span>Friday, July 03, 2015 12:00 =
PM<br><b>To:</b><span class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br><b>Subject:<=
/b><span class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span>Re: [Mgs] follow up =
on mga 1622 suspension =
issues</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>You mention a second spindle. Are you saying that this =
problem only exists on one side?<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>--</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div>=
<p class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Max =
Heim</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>'66 MGB =
GHN3L76149</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>If you're near Menlo =
Park, CA,</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>it's the primer red =
one with chrome wires</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>And now 67 MGB =
GHN3U137949G</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Old English White, =
off-premises for =
restoration</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div></div></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>On Jul 3, 2015, at 11:40 AM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"><span =
style=3D'color:purple'>[email-masked]</span></a>&gt; =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>I have all of the pieces. The relevant pieces are the hub, inner =
spacer, and two bearings, no shims. The hub is supposed to have =
shoulders so the bearings are limited to how far they go in. What has =
been discussed in the past is that the bearings should bind against the =
inner spacer, therefore before one or both of the bearing are seated =
against the hub inner shoulders. The machinist says he pressed the =
bearing until he hit the shoulders. Therefore, the inner spacer is =
flopping around inside with tons of =
endplay.</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>crk</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>From:</span><=
/b><span class=3Dapple-converted-space><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>&nbsp;</span>=
</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Charley =
&amp; Peggy Robinson [<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"><span =
style=3D'color:purple'>mailto:[email-masked]</span></a>]<span =
class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span><br><b>Sent:</b><span =
class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span>Friday, July 03, 2015 11:25 =
AM<br><b>To:</b><span class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"><span =
style=3D'color:purple'>[email-masked]</span></a>;<span =
class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"><span =
style=3D'color:purple'>[email-masked]</span></a><br><b>Subject:</b><s=
pan class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span>Re: [Mgs] follow up on =
mga 1622 suspension =
issues</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div></div></div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>&nbsp;</span>=
<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt;background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>You might =
want to look at the KK.3 parts exploded view to see if you have all the =
parts in your hubs.<br><br>CR</span><o:p></o:p></p><div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>On 7/3/2015 =
11:55 AM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs =
wrote:</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div></div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>I believe there are no shims on the MGA like there are on the MGB, =
according to a previous post from someone. I=E2=80=99ve got the manual =
and I didn=E2=80=99t see anything about shims. The slop on that inner =
spacer is around 3/8 inch, unlikely such a large shim =
requirement.</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Clayton</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>From:</span><=
/b><span class=3Dapple-converted-space><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>&nbsp;</span>=
</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Charley =
&amp; Peggy Robinson [<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"><span =
style=3D'color:#954F72'>mailto:[email-masked]</span></a>]<span =
class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span><br><b>Sent:</b><span =
class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span>Friday, July 03, 2015 9:12 =
AM<br><b>To:</b><span class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"><span =
style=3D'color:#954F72'>[email-masked]</span></a>;<span =
class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"><span =
style=3D'color:#954F72'>[email-masked]</span></a><br><b>Subject:</b><=
span class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span>Re: [Mgs] follow up on =
mga 1622 suspension =
issues</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div></div></div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>&nbsp;</span>=
<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt;background:white;background-position:initia=
l initial;background-repeat:initial initial'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Sounds like =
you've left the shims out.&nbsp; The end play of the bearings is set by =
the thickness of the shims between the bearings and the spacer.&nbsp; =
The more shim thickness, the less end play and vice-versa.&nbsp; The =
shims come in various thicknesses, you select the thicknesses to combine =
i order to arrive at the proper end play.<br><br>Suggest you buy the =
factory shop manual and read up on =
it.<br><br>CR</span><o:p></o:p></p><div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>On 7/2/2015 =
2:50 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs =
wrote:</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div></div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Returning to =
our story=E2=80=A6. The consensus for the wire wheel hubs was that the =
inner and outer bearings were to tightly crimp the single-chamfered =
spacer between them by pressing the bearings in. That makes the three =
pieces essentially one, strengthing the three into one, eliminating any =
side forces on the bearings. I took my two spindles and associated =
bearings and center spacer to the machine shop. Guy says that the outer =
bearing was loose in its proper placement and I agree. He said the =
solution was a new spindle and bearings. Ok. The second spindle, =
however, is a different story: he pressed the two bearing in to their =
limit shoulders and the inner spacer still was flopping around inside, =
absolutely not crimped in place. He and I don=E2=80=99t understand this =
problem. Any insight??? There is a quarter inch thick spacer that I read =
as being outside of the bearings. Or is this supposed to be =
inside??</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>&nbsp;</span>=
<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>At this =
point, it looks like I will be ordering both spindle and bearings. =
Fortunately, Moss has the parts on =
sale:&lt;)++++</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>&nbsp;</span>=
<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>TIA,</span><o=
:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>&nbsp;</span>=
<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Clayton</span=
><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><span style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman =
,serif",serif'><br><br><br><br><br><br></span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div>=
<pre style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial =
initial'>_______________________________________________<o:p></o:p></pre>=
<pre style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial initial'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></pre><pre =
style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial initial'><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"><span =
style=3D'color:#954F72'>[email-masked]</span></a><o:p></o:p></pre><pr=
e style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial initial'>Donate: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"><span =
style=3D'color:#954F72'>http://www.team.net/donate.html</span></a><o:p></=
o:p></pre><pre style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial initial'>Suggested annual =
donation&nbsp; $12.75<o:p></o:p></pre><pre =
style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial initial'>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"><span =
style=3D'color:#954F72'>http://www.team.net/archive</span></a><o:p></o:p>=
</pre><pre style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial initial'>Forums: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"><span =
style=3D'color:#954F72'>http://www.team.net/forums</span></a><o:p></o:p><=
/pre><pre style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial initial'>Unsubscribe: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]"><span=
 =
style=3D'color:#954F72'>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/ccrobin=
[email-masked]</span></a><o:p></o:p></pre></blockquote><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'background:white'><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman =
,serif",serif'>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'><br><br><br><br><br><o:p></o:p></p></div></div=
><pre style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial =
initial'>_______________________________________________<o:p></o:p></pre>=
<pre style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial initial'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></pre><pre =
style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial initial'><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"><span =
style=3D'color:#954F72'>[email-masked]</span></a><o:p></o:p></pre><pr=
e style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial initial'>Donate: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"><span =
style=3D'color:#954F72'>http://www.team.net/donate.html</span></a><o:p></=
o:p></pre><pre style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial initial'>Suggested annual =
donation&nbsp; $12.75<o:p></o:p></pre><pre =
style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial initial'>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"><span =
style=3D'color:#954F72'>http://www.team.net/archive</span></a><o:p></o:p>=
</pre><pre style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial initial'>Forums: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"><span =
style=3D'color:#954F72'>http://www.team.net/forums</span></a><o:p></o:p><=
/pre><pre style=3D'background:white;background-position:initial =
initial;background-repeat:initial initial'>Unsubscribe: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]"><span=
 =
style=3D'color:#954F72'>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/ccrobin=
[email-masked]</span></a><o:p></o:p></pre></blockquote><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'background:white'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;background:whit=
e'>_______________________________________________</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif'><br><br><span =
style=3D'background:white'><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"><span =
style=3D'color:purple'>[email-masked]</span></a></span><br><span =
style=3D'background:white'>Donate:<span =
class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"><span =
style=3D'color:purple'>http://www.team.net/donate.html</span></a></span><=
br><span style=3D'background:white'>Suggested annual donation =
&nbsp;$12.75</span><br><span style=3D'background:white'>Archive:<span =
class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"><span =
style=3D'color:purple'>http://www.team.net/archive</span></a></span><br><=
span style=3D'background:white'>Forums:<span =
class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"><span =
style=3D'color:purple'>http://www.team.net/forums</span></a></span><br><s=
pan style=3D'background:white'>Unsubscribe:<span =
class=3Dapple-converted-space>&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]"><span=
 =
style=3D'color:purple'>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/mvheim@s=
onic.net</span></a></span></span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div></blockquote>=
</div></div></div></blockquote></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_003E_01D0B5A3.69169A10--

--===============1964653016496715203==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1964653016496715203==--

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 19:33:37 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============6589381458674791551==
 boundary="------------010703090703000309060308"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------010703090703000309060308
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I found this thread on  MGE : http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,2109993

Post #11 is from Barney Gaylord.  It has a link to the Dunlop brake 
section KKK.  Looks like if you have tapered roller bearings, you need 
the shims.  If the spacer in one of your hubs is rattling around 3/8", 
it may not be the right spacer.
I've been trying to help.  Sorry for the confusion on the link to the 
airplane.

CR

On 7/3/2015 3:39 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs wrote:
> 1600 and 1622 MkI and MkII v. the deluxe and twin cam, is the brakes. 
> Up front, the deluxe and twin cam have the Dunlop braking which do 
> require the shims. It isn’t shown in the picture you quoted, but below 
> in the listing, there are shims listed for the deluxe and twin cam.
>
> crk
>
> *Sent:* Friday, July 03, 2015 1:12 PM
>     Um, Charley, that’s a nice picture of a plane, but I don’t think
>     it has the shims you speak of:<)))
>
>
>

--------------010703090703000309060308
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    I found this thread on  MGE : 
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,2109993">http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,2109993</a><br>
    <br>
    Post #11 is from Barney Gaylord.  It has a link to the Dunlop brake
    section KKK.  Looks like if you have tapered roller bearings, you
    need the shims.  If the spacer in one of your hubs is rattling
    around 3/8", it may not be the right spacer.  <br>
    I've been trying to help.  Sorry for the confusion on the link to
    the airplane.<br>
    <br>
    CR<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 7/3/2015 3:39 PM, Clayton Kirkwood
      via Mgs wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered
        medium)">
      <style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";
	color:black;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:Consolas;
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle21
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle22
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:#1F497D">Yep. From what
            I’ve learned here, one of the big differences between a 1600
            and 1622 MkI and MkII v. the deluxe and twin cam, is the
            brakes. Up front, the deluxe and twin cam have the Dunlop
            braking which do require the shims. It isn’t shown in the
            picture you quoted, but below in the listing, there are
            shims listed for the deluxe and twin cam.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:#1F497D">crk<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <div>
          <div style="border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1
            1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in">
            <p class="MsoNormal"><b><span style="color:windowtext">From:</span></b><span
                style="color:windowtext"> Charley &amp; Peggy Robinson
                [<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:[email-masked]</a>] <br>
                <b>Sent:</b> Friday, July 03, 2015 1:12 PM<br>
                <b>To:</b> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>; <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
                <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622
                suspension issues<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          </div>
        </div>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:12.0pt">Argh!  Here's
          the intended page:<br>
          <br>
          <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29224">http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29224</a><br>
          <br>
          I looked more carefully.  There is a different spacer, outer
          bearing &amp; the shims for the Mk II DeLuxe &amp; Twin Cam.<br>
          <br>
          Trying to find the right MGA is a PITA.  It looks like the
          Mk.II DeLuxe had a 1622cc engine but it's still located as a
          MGA 1600 in most of the manuals.  I wish Barney would check
          in.<br>
          <br>
          CR<span style="font-size:12.0pt"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <div>
          <p class="MsoNormal">On 7/3/2015 1:24 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via
            Mgs wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
        </div>
        <blockquote style="margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt">
          <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:#1F497D">Um, Charley,
              that’s a nice picture of a plane, but I don’t think it has
              the shims you speak of:&lt;)))</span><o:p></o:p></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:#1F497D"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
              Roman&quot;,serif"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        </blockquote>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
            Roman&quot;,serif"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

--------------010703090703000309060308--

--===============6589381458674791551==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6589381458674791551==--

---

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 17:54:24 -0700

--===============1343910154725229918==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0074_01D0B5B9.5261C220"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0074_01D0B5B9.5261C220
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Your description is as I understand things. I did some measurements and a
few comments about them.

I used a caliper gauge with inner and outer depth as well as length
abilities, accurate to .01 inches. My depth gauge wasn't long enough to
measure the entire length of the hub but I could measure length from inner
end of hub to outer bearing pressed all the way in to the shoulder and can
provide all numbers. As follows:

Depth from outer end of hub to shoulder: 3.25

Depth from inner end of hub to inner shoulder: 1.1

Depth from inner end of hub to outer shoulder and outer bearing race: 3.125

Length of chamfered spacer: 2

With these numbers, I come up with total length of 3.25 + 3.125 = 6.375.
>From shoulder to shoulder the length is 6.375 - 1.1 - 3.25 =2.025. This is
slightly longer than the length of the spacer. Also, the spacer has a
chamfer and the inner race is rounded. Combined, this provides more slop.
When I had both bearings in to the shoulder the spacer flopped around with
much more than the numbers above suggest, maybe .25 inch. I couldn't
perceive much movement of the inner races from the outer races (side thrust
movement), I am sure there is enough give there, so when the nut is
tightened the washer pushes against that inner race of the outer bearing
helping to tighten things up.

I inspected the inner spacers and they didn't show any wear, the ends still
looked machined and not worn.

I know of some instances when engineers allow the outer race to rotate
freely, but I don't believe this to be one of those situation. The inside of
the both ends still have the micro machining of circles, but none of the
bearing outer races seem worn by the machining, although it is perfectly
possible that they have been very smoothly worn down allowing the movement.
The manual suggests that these bearing are supposed to be tight: don't
remove bearing unless absolutely necessary.

Unfortunately, I don't know what parts to replace. As you suggest below,
maybe using an adhesive will help, but I don't know what the tolerances
should be to ensure success. The one outer bearing I can get to show wear.
The one spindle I looked at showed some wear on the inner race face
especially on one side. Moss doesn't have any spindles and I am tired of
buying expensive parts.

Clayton

From: Barney Gaylord [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 2:41 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

The MGA Twin Cam cars and the "Deluxe" cars  with pin drive steel wheels and
Dunlop all wheel disc brakes use tapered rolller bearings up front and do
require shims.

The MGA 1500, 1600 and 1600-MK-II with Lockheed brakes all use ball bearings
in the front hubs.  These do not use shims.  Distance between shoulders in
the rotating hub is eactly same as length of the inner race spacer.  This
holds inner and outer bearing races exactly same distance apart when the
spindle nut is tight.  Internal bearing clearance is then a function of
quality of construction of the ball bearings.  If the bearings are loose
they need to be replaced.  If the outer races get loose in the rotating hub
thebn the hub needs to be replaced.  If wear in the hub bore is not too bad,
you might set the bearings into the hub with Loctite 620 bearing set
adhesive.  The adhesive may require heat for future disassembly.

With inner race spacer in place, and both bearings pressed in with outer
races firmly against the hub shoulders, the inner races should touch the
spacer.  Since there is a bit of internal clearance in the bearings, the
spacer may move around.  If you squeeze the inner races together with the
spacer, this shoud hold the spacer in suspension.  If there is clearance
between inner races and the spacer when pressed together, then there is a
mismatch of parts (spacer length not matching distance between shoulders of
the hub).

I don't have parts in hand to measure at the moment.  Perhaps someone can
measure and post length of the inner race spacer for reference.

Barney (in Utah today).

....
 
crk

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson [ mailto:[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

CR

------=_NextPart_000_0074_01D0B5B9.5261C220
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

>Your description is as I understand things. I did some measurements and =
a few comments about them.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>I used a caliper gauge with inner and outer depth as well as length =
abilities, accurate to .01 inches. My depth gauge wasn&#8217;t long =
enough to measure the entire length of the hub but I could measure =
length from inner end of hub to outer bearing pressed all the way in to =
the shoulder and can provide all numbers. As =
follows:<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Depth from outer end of hub to shoulder: 3.25<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
>Depth from inner end of hub to inner shoulder: =
1.1<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Depth from inner end of hub to outer shoulder and outer bearing race: =
3.125<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Length of chamfered spacer: 2<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
>With these numbers, I come up with total length of 3.25 + 3.125 =3D =
6.375. From shoulder to shoulder the length is 6.375 &#8211; 1.1 &#8211; =
3.25 =3D2.025. This is slightly longer than the length of the spacer. =
Also, the spacer has a chamfer and the inner race is rounded. Combined, =
this provides more slop. When I had both bearings in to the shoulder the =
spacer flopped around with much more than the numbers above suggest, =
maybe .25 inch. I couldn&#8217;t perceive much movement of the inner =
races from the outer races (side thrust movement), I am sure there is =
enough give there, so when the nut is tightened the washer pushes =
against that inner race of the outer bearing helping to tighten things =
up.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>I inspected the inner spacers and they didn&#8217;t show any wear, the =
ends still looked machined and not worn.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>I know of some instances when engineers allow the outer race to rotate =
freely, but I don&#8217;t believe this to be one of those situation. The =
inside of the both ends still have the micro machining of circles, but =
none of the bearing outer races seem worn by the machining, although it =
is perfectly possible that they have been very smoothly worn down =
allowing the movement. The manual suggests that these bearing are =
supposed to be tight: don&#8217;t remove bearing unless absolutely =
necessary.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Unfortunately, I don&#8217;t know what parts to replace. As you suggest =
below, maybe using an adhesive will help, but I don&#8217;t know what =
the tolerances should be to ensure success. The one outer bearing I can =
get to show wear. The one spindle I looked at showed some wear on the =
inner race face especially on one side. Moss doesn&#8217;t have any =
spindles and I am tired of buying expensive =
parts.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>From:</span><=
/b><span style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'> =
Barney Gaylord [mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, =
July 03, 2015 2:41 PM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]; =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 =
suspension issues<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>As =
requested, checking in.<br><br>The MGA Twin Cam cars and the =
&quot;Deluxe&quot; cars&nbsp; with pin drive steel wheels and Dunlop all =
wheel disc brakes use tapered rolller bearings up front and do require =
shims.<br><br>The MGA 1500, 1600 and 1600-MK-II with Lockheed brakes all =
use ball bearings in the front hubs.&nbsp; These do not use shims.&nbsp; =
Distance between shoulders in the rotating hub is eactly same as length =
of the inner race spacer.&nbsp; This holds inner and outer bearing races =
exactly same distance apart when the spindle nut is tight.&nbsp; =
Internal bearing clearance is then a function of quality of construction =
of the ball bearings.&nbsp; If the bearings are loose they need to be =
replaced.&nbsp; If the outer races get loose in the rotating hub thebn =
the hub needs to be replaced.&nbsp; If wear in the hub bore is not too =
bad, you might set the bearings into the hub with Loctite 620 bearing =
set adhesive.&nbsp; The adhesive may require heat for future =
disassembly.<br><br>With inner race spacer in place, and both bearings =
pressed in with outer races firmly against the hub shoulders, the inner =
races should touch the spacer.&nbsp; Since there is a bit of internal =
clearance in the bearings, the spacer may move around.&nbsp; If you =
squeeze the inner races together with the spacer, this shoud hold the =
spacer in suspension.&nbsp; If there is clearance between inner races =
and the spacer when pressed together, then there is a mismatch of parts =
(spacer length not matching distance between shoulders of the =
hub).<br><br>I don't have parts in hand to measure at the moment.&nbsp; =
Perhaps someone can measure and post length of the inner race spacer for =
reference.<br><br>Barney (in Utah today).<br><br><br><br>At 01:39 PM =
7/3/2015 -0700, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs =
wrote:<br><br><o:p></o:p></p><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>....<br>Yep. From what I&#8217;ve learned here, one of =
the big differences between a 1600 and 1622 MkI and MkII v. the deluxe =
and twin cam, is the brakes. Up front, the deluxe and twin cam have the =
Dunlop braking which do require the shims. It isn&#8217;t shown in the =
picture you quoted, but below in the listing, there are shims listed for =
the deluxe and twin cam.<br>&nbsp;<br>crk<o:p></o:p></p></blockquote><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><br><br><br><o:p></o:p></p><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> Charley &amp; Peggy Robinson [<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"> mailto:[email-masked]</a>] =
<br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, July 03, 2015 1:12 PM<br><b>To:</b> <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>; <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br><b>Subject:<=
/b> Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues<br>&nbsp;<br>.... =
Here's the intended page:<br><a =
href=3D"http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=3D2=
9224">http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=3D292=
24</a> <br><br>I looked more carefully.&nbsp; There is a different =
spacer, outer bearing &amp; the shims for the Mk II DeLuxe &amp; Twin =
Cam.<br><br>Trying to find the right MGA is a PITA.&nbsp; It looks like =
the Mk.II DeLuxe had a 1622cc engine but it's still located as a MGA =
1600 in most of the manuals.&nbsp; I wish Barney would check =
in.<br><br>CR<o:p></o:p></p></blockquote></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0074_01D0B5B9.5261C220--

--===============1343910154725229918==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1343910154725229918==--

---

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 18:18:34 -0700

--===============1397488407682893121==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0088_01D0B5BC.B246D510"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01D0B5BC.B246D510
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

No problem. Confusion is always entertaining, especially when it has
pictures:<)))) Again, I don't have a KKK or deluxe twin cam, I have a mkII
which is a KK.

crk

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 5:34 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

I found this thread on  MGE :
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,2109993

Post #11 is from Barney Gaylord.  It has a link to the Dunlop brake section
KKK.  Looks like if you have tapered roller bearings, you need the shims.
If the spacer in one of your hubs is rattling around 3/8", it may not be the
right spacer.  
I've been trying to help.  Sorry for the confusion on the link to the
airplane.

CR

crk

CR

 

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01D0B5BC.B246D510
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Times New Roman \,serif";
	panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";
	color:black;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:Consolas;
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle21
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle22
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle23
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body bgcolor=3Dwhite =
lang=3DEN-US link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>No problem. Confusion is always entertaining, =
especially when it has pictures:&lt;)))) Again, I don&#8217;t have a KKK =
or deluxe twin cam, I have a mkII which is a KK.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>crk<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext'>From:</span></b><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext'> Charley &amp; Peggy Robinson =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, July 03, 2015 5:34 =
PM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]; =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 =
suspension issues<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>I found this thread on&nbsp; MGE :&nbsp; =
<a =
href=3D"http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,2109993">http://www.mgexp.=
com/phorum/read.php?2,2109993</a><br><br>Post #11 is from Barney =
Gaylord.&nbsp; It has a link to the Dunlop brake section KKK.&nbsp; =
Looks like if you have tapered roller bearings, you need the =
shims.&nbsp; If the spacer in one of your hubs is rattling around =
3/8&quot;, it may not be the right spacer.&nbsp; <br>I've been trying to =
help.&nbsp; Sorry for the confusion on the link to the =
airplane.<br><br>CR<br><br><br><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p></o:p></span></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>On 7/3/2015 3:39 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Yep. From what =
I&#8217;ve learned here, one of the big differences between a 1600 and =
1622 MkI and MkII v. the deluxe and twin cam, is the brakes. Up front, =
the deluxe and twin cam have the Dunlop braking which do require the =
shims. It isn&#8217;t shown in the picture you quoted, but below in the =
listing, there are shims listed for the deluxe and twin =
cam.</span><o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>crk</span><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext'>From:</span></b><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext'> Charley &amp; Peggy Robinson [<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:[email-masked]</a>] =
<br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, July 03, 2015 1:12 PM<br><b>To:</b> <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>; <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br><b>Subject:<=
/b> Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension =
issues</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Argh!&nbsp; Here's the intended =
page:<br><br><a =
href=3D"http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=3D2=
9224">http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=3D292=
24</a><br><br>I looked more carefully.&nbsp; There is a different =
spacer, outer bearing &amp; the shims for the Mk II DeLuxe &amp; Twin =
Cam.<br><br>Trying to find the right MGA is a PITA.&nbsp; It looks like =
the Mk.II DeLuxe had a 1622cc engine but it's still located as a MGA =
1600 in most of the manuals.&nbsp; I wish Barney would check =
in.<br><br>CR<o:p></o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>On 7/3/2015 1:24 =
PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Um, Charley, =
that&#8217;s a nice picture of a plane, but I don&#8217;t think it has =
the shims you speak of:&lt;)))</span><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman ,serif",serif'>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p></blockquote><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman ,serif",serif'>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><br><br><br><o:p></o:p></span></p><pre>____________________=
___________________________<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre><=
pre><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><o:p></o:p></pre=
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0088_01D0B5BC.B246D510--

--===============1397488407682893121==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1397488407682893121==--

---

From: Gordie Bird via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 11:43:42 +0000 (UTC)

--===============5294255513426989723==
	boundary="----=_Part_6228013_1131082946.1436010222320"

------=_Part_6228013_1131082946.1436010222320
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Guys, the differences in the deluxe/twin cam and the 1600/1622 are all in t=
he brakes (other than the motor in the twinkie). Deluxe/twinkie have dunlop=
 disks on all four corners and have a different master cyl. 1600/1622 have =
Lockheed disks up front and drums in the rear. The "deluxe" was born when M=
G discontinued the twin cam and still had a number of twin cam chassis left=
 over. They made no note at the time of which cars received the twin cam ch=
assis'.=20
The Moss catalog has a section in the back specifically for the twin cam an=
d deluxe which includes the braking system. Refer to that section to see wh=
at parts are different. I have always had slop in the spacer inside of the =
hub until the nut is tightened on my MKII. If your spindle has too much wea=
r that the inner bearing race spins on it, you may be able to repair it wit=
h a speedy sleeve.=20
HTH=20

Gordie Bird=20
'62 MGA=20

----- Original Message -----

From: "Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs" <[email-masked]>=20
To: [email-masked]=20
Sent: Friday, July 3, 2015 4:39:51 PM=20
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues=20

Yep. From what I=E2=80=99ve learned here, one of the big differences betwee=
n a 1600 and 1622 MkI and MkII v. the deluxe and twin cam, is the brakes. U=
p front, the deluxe and twin cam have the Dunlop braking which do require t=
he shims. It isn=E2=80=99t shown in the picture you quoted, but below in th=
e listing, there are shims listed for the deluxe and twin cam.=20

crk=20

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson [mailto:[email-masked]]=20
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 1:12 PM=20
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]=20
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues=20

Argh! Here's the intended page:=20

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=3D29224=20

I looked more carefully. There is a different spacer, outer bearing & the s=
hims for the Mk II DeLuxe & Twin Cam.=20

Trying to find the right MGA is a PITA. It looks like the Mk.II DeLuxe had =
a 1622cc engine but it's still located as a MGA 1600 in most of the manuals=
. I wish Barney would check in.=20

CR=20

On 7/3/2015 1:24 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs wrote:=20

Um, Charley, that=E2=80=99s a nice picture of a plane, but I don=E2=80=99t =
think it has the shims you speak of:<)))=20

_______________________________________________=20

[email-masked]=20
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive=20
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]=
t=20

------=_Part_6228013_1131082946.1436010222320
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #0000=
00"><div>Guys, the differences in the deluxe/twin cam and the 1600/1622 are=
 all in the brakes (other than the motor in the twinkie).&nbsp; Deluxe/twin=
kie have dunlop disks on all four corners and have a different master cyl.&=
nbsp; 1600/1622 have Lockheed disks up front and drums in the rear.&nbsp; T=
he "deluxe" was born when MG discontinued the twin cam and still had a numb=
er of twin cam chassis left over.&nbsp; They made no note at the time of wh=
ich cars received the twin cam chassis'.<br></div><div>The Moss catalog has=
 a section in the back specifically for the twin cam and deluxe which inclu=
des the&nbsp; braking system.&nbsp; Refer to that section to see what parts=
 are different.&nbsp; I have always had slop in the spacer inside of the hu=
b until the nut is tightened on my MKII.&nbsp; If your spindle has too much=
 wear that the inner bearing race spins on it, you may be able to repair it=
 with a speedy sleeve.<br></div><div>HTH<br></div><div><br></div><div>Gordi=
e Bird<br></div><div>'62 MGA<br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><hr id=
=3D"zwchr"><div style=3D"color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;te=
xt-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;">=
<b>From: </b>"Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>To=
: </b>[email-masked]<br><b>Sent: </b>Friday, July 3, 2015 4:39:51 PM<br=
><b>Subject: </b>Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues<br><div>=
<br></div><style><!--

@font-face
=09{font-family:"Cambria Math";
=09panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
=09{font-family:Calibri;
=09panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
=09{font-family:Consolas;
=09panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}

p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
=09{margin:0in;
=09margin-bottom:.0001pt;
=09font-size:11.0pt;
=09font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
=09color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
=09{mso-style-priority:99;
=09color:#0563C1;
=09text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
=09{mso-style-priority:99;
=09color:#954F72;
=09text-decoration:underline;}
pre
=09{mso-style-priority:99;
=09mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
=09margin:0in;
=09margin-bottom:.0001pt;
=09font-size:10.0pt;
=09font-family:"Courier New";
=09color:black;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
=09{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
=09mso-style-priority:99;
=09mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
=09font-family:Consolas;
=09color:black;}
span.EmailStyle19
=09{mso-style-type:personal;
=09font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
=09color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle20
=09{mso-style-type:personal;
=09font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
=09color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle21
=09{mso-style-type:personal;
=09font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
=09color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle22
=09{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
=09font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
=09color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
=09{mso-style-type:export-only;
=09font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
=09{size:8.5in 11.0in;
=09margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
=09{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><div class=3D"WordSection1"><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=
=3D"color:#1F497D">Yep. From what I=E2=80=99ve learned here, one of the big=
 differences between a 1600 and 1622 MkI and MkII v. the deluxe and twin ca=
m, is the brakes. Up front, the deluxe and twin cam have the Dunlop braking=
 which do require the shims. It isn=E2=80=99t shown in the picture you quot=
ed, but below in the listing, there are shims listed for the deluxe and twi=
n cam.</span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"color:#1F497D">&nbsp=
;</span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"color:#1F497D">crk</span>=
</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"color:#1F497D">&nbsp;</span></p><=
div><div style=3D"border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt =
0in 0in 0in"><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><b><span style=3D"color:windowtext">Fro=
m:</span></b><span style=3D"color:windowtext"> Charley &amp; Peggy Robinson=
 [mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, July 03, 2015 1:12 PM<b=
r><b>To:</b> [email-masked]; [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: =
[Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues</span></p></div></div><p clas=
s=3D"MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-bottom:12.=
0pt">Argh!&nbsp; Here's the intended page:<br></p><div><br></div><a href=3D=
"http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=3D29224" tar=
get=3D"_blank">http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexI=
D=3D29224</a><br><div><br></div>I looked more carefully.&nbsp; There is a d=
ifferent spacer, outer bearing &amp; the shims for the Mk II DeLuxe &amp; T=
win Cam.<br><div><br></div>Trying to find the right MGA is a PITA.&nbsp; It=
 looks like the Mk.II DeLuxe had a 1622cc engine but it's still located as =
a MGA 1600 in most of the manuals.&nbsp; I wish Barney would check in.<br><=
div><br></div>CR<span style=3D"font-size:12.0pt"></span><p></p><div><p clas=
s=3D"MsoNormal">On 7/3/2015 1:24 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs wrote:</p></d=
iv><blockquote style=3D"margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt"><p class=3D"M=
soNormal"><span style=3D"color:#1F497D">Um, Charley, that=E2=80=99s a nice =
picture of a plane, but I don=E2=80=99t think it has the shims you speak of=
:&lt;)))</span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"color:#1F497D">&nb=
sp;</span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:12.0pt;font-f=
amily:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">&nbsp;</span></p></blockquote><p c=
lass=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Times =
New Roman&quot;,serif">&nbsp;</span></p></div><br>_________________________=
______________________<br><div><br></div>[email-masked]<br>Donate: http=
://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75<br>Ar=
chive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<br=
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]=
et<br></div><div><br></div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_6228013_1131082946.1436010222320--

--===============5294255513426989723==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5294255513426989723==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 08:24:17 +0100

--===============5985749152809552871==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_005D_01D0B7C5.26B8F400"

------=_NextPart_000_005D_01D0B7C5.26B8F400
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Compare with the other side?  Or does that have the same problem?
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  Your description is as I understand things. I did some measurements =
and a few comments about them.

  ...

  Unfortunately, I don't know what parts to replace.

------=_NextPart_000_005D_01D0B7C5.26B8F400
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:v =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Calibri;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman",serif; FONT-SIZE: =
12pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman",serif; FONT-SIZE: =
12pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman",serif; FONT-SIZE: =
12pt
}
A:link {
	COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: #1f497d; mso-style-type: =
personal-reply
}
.MsoChpDefault {
	FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.WordSection1 {
	page: WordSection1
}
</STYLE>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue bgColor=3D#ffffff vLink=3Dpurple>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Compare with the other side?&nbsp; Or does that have =
the same=20
problem?</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><BR></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DWordSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri',sans-serif; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: =
11pt">Your=20
  description is as I understand things. I did some measurements and a =
few=20
  comments about them.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri',sans-serif; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: =
11pt">...</SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri',sans-serif; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: =
11pt"></SPAN>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri',sans-serif; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: =
11pt">Unfortunately,=20
  I don=92t know what parts to =
replace.</SPAN></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_005D_01D0B7C5.26B8F400--

--===============5985749152809552871==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5985749152809552871==--