Subject: Re: [Mgs] 70 Fuel Pump question

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:53:26 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============1279523942589913173==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_041E_01D0A36B.ADC28920"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_041E_01D0A36B.ADC28920
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

If the pump is continually chattering then fuel isn't getting through to =
fill the float chamber, shut the float valves, and pressurise the system =
to shut off the pump.  But if you only get the occasional tick as normal =
then something else is wrong.

First take a fuel delivery pipe off a carb, direct it into a container, =
and switch on the ignition.  It should deliver at least one Imperial =
pint per minute and in practice more than double that, in a continual =
series of pulses with minimal bubbling.

That will tell you whether you need to go back towards the pump etc., or =
forwards to the carbs etc.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  So I installed a new OEM SU this morning, purchased from Moss. Started =
right up, pulled out of the garage and it stopped running and =
won=E2=80=99t start now. I get the =E2=80=9Cticks=E2=80=9D but not sure =
why no fuel, gas is in the tank?
------=_NextPart_000_041E_01D0A36B.ADC28920
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=EF=BB=BF<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If the pump is continually chattering then fuel =
isn't getting=20
through to fill the float chamber, shut the float valves, and pressurise =
the=20
system to shut off the pump.&nbsp; But if you only get the occasional =
tick as=20
normal then something else is wrong.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>First take a fuel delivery pipe off a carb, direct =
it into a=20
container, and switch on the ignition.&nbsp; It should deliver at least =
one=20
Imperial pint per minute and in practice more than double that, in a =
continual=20
series of pulses with minimal bubbling.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>That will tell you whether you need to go back =
towards the=20
pump etc., or forwards to the carbs etc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: =
12pt">
  <DIV>So I installed a new OEM SU this morning, purchased from Moss. =
Started=20
  right up, pulled out of the garage and it stopped running and =
won=E2=80=99t start now.=20
  I get the =E2=80=9Cticks=E2=80=9D but not sure why no fuel, gas is in =
the=20
  tank?</DIV></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_041E_01D0A36B.ADC28920--

--===============1279523942589913173==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============1279523942589913173==--

---

From: Barney Gaylord via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:11:02 -0500

Check alignment of the contact points.  This is quite likely an 
ongoing quality problem hanging around for several years.  When 
originally discovered, Burlen refused to acknowledge any problem and 
would not fix it  See here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/faulty/ft037.htm

On 6/7/2015, dave willner<!-davewillner at pa.net-> wrote:
>So I installed a new OEM SU this morning, purchased from Moss. 
>Started right up, pulled out of the garage and it stopped running 
>and won't start now. I get the ticks but not sure why no fuel, gas 
>is in the tank? I couldn't have swapped the outlet and inlet pipes 
>could I, I'm assuming that might be it?  Any other ideas before I 
>pull things apart again would be appreciated, thanks
>....

[email-masked]