Subject: Re: [Mgs] [MG-MGB] No Start

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 15:17:30 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============7384517853920565445==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0175_01D09AEB.BEC555A0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0175_01D09AEB.BEC555A0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Filter is not an indicator, it can be anything from full to empty with =
the car running as it should.  Why I don't know, but I've seen both on =
mine, and so have others.

PaulH.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  Re: the fuel pump - it's an aftermarket 'black box' electric pump that =
clicks all the time, albeit not as loudly as an SU pump. But I did check =
it when I was at the side of the road and
  it was operating as it usually does, and there was fuel sitting in the =
filter in the engine bay. 
------=_NextPart_000_0175_01D09AEB.BEC555A0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=EF=BB=BF<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff" bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Filter is&nbsp;not an indicator, it can be anything =
from full=20
to empty with the car running as it should.&nbsp; Why I don't know, but =
I've=20
seen both on mine, and so have others.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">Re: the fuel pump - it's an =
aftermarket 'black=20
  box' electric pump that clicks all the time, albeit not as loudly as =
an SU=20
  pump. But I did check it when I was at the side of the road and</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"POSITION: relative" id=3Dygrp-mlmsg>
  <DIV style=3D"Z-INDEX: 1" id=3Dygrp-msg>
  <DIV id=3Dygrp-text>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff; FONT-FAMILY: HelveticaNeue, Helvetica =
Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif; COLOR: #000; =
FONT-SIZE: 13px">
  <DIV dir=3Dltr id=3Dyui_3_16_0_1_1432991068514_7432>it was operating =
as it usually=20
  does, and there was fuel sitting in the filter in the engine bay.=20
  </DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0175_01D09AEB.BEC555A0--

--===============7384517853920565445==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============7384517853920565445==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 10:40:48 +0100

--===============2225466334242435799==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_006B_01D09AC5.17542650"

------=_NextPart_000_006B_01D09AC5.17542650
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Do not overhaul your carbs at this stage, it may be nothing to do with =
them.

The first check should have been to look at the tach the instant this =
started happening, and before you did anything else like turned off, =
dipped the clutch etc.  If the tach has dropped to zero when the =
momentum of the car is still spinning the engine, then you have an =
ignition LT fault.  Additionally if the ignition warning light was on =
you have lost the supply from the ignition switch.

If the tach still registers then it is either HT, fuel, or possibly =
condenser if it has points, so check the spark while cranking with a =
spare plug laying on the block.

What do you mean by 'fuel pump is clicking away'?  If it's clicking all =
the time the ignition is on, and it's an SU, then either the pump is =
faulty or it can't pick up fuel, possibly because the pickup pipe inside =
the tank has corroded through above the fuel level.  The first check for =
that is to remove the fuel delivery pipe from the carb, direct it into a =
container and switch on the ignition.  It should deliver at least one =
Imperial pint per minute and in practice more than double that, in a =
continuous series of pulses with minimal bubbling.

If the idle drops below 600 rpm the ignition warning light does usually =
come back on, although later MGB usually don't drop that low.  It won't =
be the alternator that caused this if there was still enough power to =
crank.

PaulH.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  Ok, need a start on where to look here.... Was out driving the '76B =
(w/'75 engine and Z-S) and was going up a slight hill - car seemed to =
lose power
  and died after going down an exit ramp and stopping at a stop sign =
(car actually shut off when I pushed out clutch approaching the stop). =
Would not
  restart.
------=_NextPart_000_006B_01D09AC5.17542650
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=EF=BB=BF<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff" bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Do not overhaul your carbs at this stage, it may be =
nothing to=20
do with them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The first check should have been to look at the tach =
the=20
instant this started happening, and before you did anything else like =
turned=20
off, dipped the clutch etc.&nbsp; If the tach has dropped to zero when =
the=20
momentum of the car is still spinning the engine, then you have an =
ignition LT=20
fault.&nbsp; Additionally if the ignition warning light was on you have =
lost the=20
supply from the ignition switch.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If the tach still registers then it is either HT, =
fuel, or=20
possibly condenser if it has points, so check the spark while cranking =
with a=20
spare plug laying on the block.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>What do you mean by 'fuel pump is clicking =
away'?&nbsp; If=20
it's clicking all the time the ignition is on, and it's an SU, then =
either the=20
pump is faulty or it can't pick up fuel, possibly because the pickup =
pipe inside=20
the tank has corroded through above the fuel level.&nbsp; The first =
check for=20
that is to remove the fuel delivery pipe from the carb, direct it into a =

container and switch on the ignition.&nbsp; It should deliver at least =
one=20
Imperial pint per minute and in practice more than double that, in a =
continuous=20
series of pulses with minimal bubbling.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If the idle drops below 600 rpm the ignition warning =
light=20
does usually come back on, although later MGB usually don't drop that =
low.&nbsp;=20
It won't be the alternator that caused this if there was still enough =
power to=20
crank.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV>Ok, need a start on where to look here.... Was out driving the =
'76B=20
  (w/'75 engine and Z-S) and was going up a slight hill - car seemed to =
lose=20
  power</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"POSITION: relative" id=3Dygrp-mlmsg>
  <DIV style=3D"Z-INDEX: 1" id=3Dygrp-msg>
  <DIV id=3Dygrp-text>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff; FONT-FAMILY: HelveticaNeue, Helvetica =
Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif; COLOR: #000; =
FONT-SIZE: 13px">
  <DIV dir=3Dltr id=3Dyui_3_16_0_1_1432910621327_12584>and died after =
going down an=20
  exit ramp and stopping at a stop sign (car actually shut off when I =
pushed out=20
  clutch approaching the stop). Would not</DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr=20
  =
id=3Dyui_3_16_0_1_1432910621327_12595>restart.</DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></D=
IV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_006B_01D09AC5.17542650--

--===============2225466334242435799==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2225466334242435799==--