Subject: [Mgs] backing up shudder

From: Mike Duvall via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 12:28:20 -0500

Both my A and TD started jumping or shuddering when backing up.    I had this happen before-  seems odd it started again on 2 cars but coincidence I’m sure.

I searched and can’t find much so I want to know if I’m missing anything…

Possible:
front engine mount
transmission mount  (do I have to take it out to see on the TD?) 
axle U bolts 

TD engine stabilizer

TD clutch (seems like might have been the problem last time but what do I adjust here)

Other ideas or what am I missing?   I read pilot bearings but were replaced so I doubt much wear. 

Thanks, Mike
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: mgbob--- via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 20:39:03 GMT

--===============8330087776945196105==

----__JWM__J7bd5619.166bf383S.84a37c1M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

  Welcome back to the judder club.    In the TD, causes can be all you l=
isted:   Front mount-possible, I suppose you could use a pry bar gently =
and life engine to see if rubber has un-stuck from the metal. Originals =
lasted 50 years. Today's improved replacements about 1/5 of that. Lift g=
ently, though, as you don't want to cause separation if it has not alrea=
dy happened.  Stabiliser-check that movement of engine is about 1/8 inch=
, which is about the "give" in the rubbers. If more, look further, to ad=
justing the bar if there is evidence that the turnbuckle has moved (not =
likely), and inspection of the rubbers.   Transmission mount--from under=
neath, push up and pull down on the gearbox tail or at the flange. There=
 should not be much movement. If the rubbers are bulged and cracked, the=
y may be bad. Changing them is not complicated, but can be time taking a=
nd messy. Oil mess from engine is usual cause of their deterioration, th=
ough. No need to remove it; just shove the gearbox around to judge free =
movement, of which there should be less than 1/8 inch.   Axle U bolts--t=
he usual cause. If you have not already installed those wear plates on t=
op of the axle, remove one bolt and feel for groove worn where the U bol=
t passes over axle tube. Buy a pair of the wear plates if there is any g=
roove, and not a bad thing to have them installed anyway. MGA and later =
had them on the axles from new.  Best of luck finding it--this can be a =
challenge. I have been chasing it for a decade.Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Mike Duvall via Mgs <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mgs] backing up shudder
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 12:28:20 -0500

Both my A and TD started jumping or shuddering when backing up.    I had=
 this happen before-  seems odd it started again on 2 cars but coinciden=
ce I&rsquo;m sure.

I searched and can&rsquo;t find much so I want to know if I&rsquo;m miss=
ing anything&hellip;

Possible:
front engine mount
transmission mount  (do I have to take it out to see on the TD?) =

axle U bolts =

TD engine stabilizer

TD clutch (seems like might have been the problem last time but what do =
I adjust here)

Other ideas or what am I missing?   I read pilot bearings but were repla=
ced so I doubt much wear. =

Thanks, Mike

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

----__JWM__J7bd5619.166bf383S.84a37c1M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>&nbsp; Welcome back to the judder club. &nbsp;</div><div>&nbs=
p; In the TD, causes can be all you listed:</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;Front=
 mount-possible, I suppose you could use a pry bar gently and life engin=
e to see if rubber has un-stuck from the metal. Originals lasted 50 year=
s. Today's improved replacements about 1/5 of that. Lift gently, though,=
 as you don't want to cause separation if it has not already happened.</=
div><div>&nbsp; Stabiliser-check that movement of engine is about 1/8 in=
ch, which is about the "give" in the rubbers. If more, look further, to =
adjusting the bar if there is evidence that the turnbuckle has moved (no=
t likely), and inspection of the rubbers.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp; Transmi=
ssion mount--from underneath, push up and pull down on the gearbox tail =
or at the flange. There should not be much movement. If the rubbers are =
bulged and cracked, they may be bad. Changing them is not complicated, b=
ut can be time taking and messy. Oil mess from engine is usual cause of =
their deterioration, though. No need to remove it; just shove the gearbo=
x around to judge free movement, of which there should be less than 1/8 =
inch.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp; Axle U bolts--the usual cause. If you have =
not already installed those wear plates on top of the axle, remove one b=
olt and feel for groove worn where the U bolt passes over axle tube. Buy=
 a pair of the wear plates if there is any groove, and not a bad thing t=
o have them installed anyway. MGA and later had them on the axles from n=
ew.</div><div>&nbsp; Best of luck finding it--this can be a challenge. I=
 have been chasing it for a decade.</div><div>Bob</div><div><br><br>----=
------ Original Message ----------<br>From: Mike Duvall via Mgs &lt;mgs@=
autox.team.net&gt;<br>To: [email-masked]<br>Subject: [Mgs] backing u=
p shudder<br>Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 12:28:20 -0500<br><br><br>Both my A =
and TD started jumping or shuddering when backing up. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
I had this happen before- &nbsp;seems odd it started again on 2 cars but=
 coincidence I&rsquo;m sure.<br><br>I searched and can&rsquo;t find much=
 so I want to know if I&rsquo;m missing anything&hellip;<br><br>Possible=
:<br>front engine mount<br>transmission mount &nbsp;(do I have to take i=
t out to see on the TD?) <br>axle U bolts <br><br>TD engine stabilizer<b=
r><br>TD clutch (seems like might have been the problem last time but wh=
at do I adjust here)<br><br><br>Other ideas or what am I missing? &nbsp;=
&nbsp;I read pilot bearings but were replaced so I doubt much wear. <br>=
<br>Thanks, Mike<br>_______________________________________________<br><=
br>[email-masked]<br>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Sugg=
ested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75<br>Archive: http://www.team.net/archi=
ve<br>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<br>Unsubscribe: http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</p></html>

----__JWM__J7bd5619.166bf383S.84a37c1M--

--===============8330087776945196105==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8330087776945196105==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 08:24:19 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============1854938287875091491==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_002F_01D0ABFB.AB881E70"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01D0ABFB.AB881E70
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Any above plus oil on the clutch.  Mine started only after clutch =
replacement, which was annoying, and has been doing it for 50k.  I  just =
use higher revs then I normally would when slipping for reversing, =
others say lower revs reduces it.  C'est la vie.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: mgbob--- via Mgs=20
  To: [email-masked]=20
  Cc: [email-masked]=20
  Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2015 9:39 PM
  Subject: Re: [Mgs] backing up shudder

    Welcome back to the judder club. =20
    In the TD, causes can be all you listed:
     Front mount-possible, I suppose you could use a pry bar gently and =
life engine to see if rubber has un-stuck from the metal. Originals =
lasted 50 years. Today's improved replacements about 1/5 of that. Lift =
gently, though, as you don't want to cause separation if it has not =
already happened.
    Stabiliser-check that movement of engine is about 1/8 inch, which is =
about the "give" in the rubbers. If more, look further, to adjusting the =
bar if there is evidence that the turnbuckle has moved (not likely), and =
inspection of the rubbers.=20
    Transmission mount--from underneath, push up and pull down on the =
gearbox tail or at the flange. There should not be much movement. If the =
rubbers are bulged and cracked, they may be bad. Changing them is not =
complicated, but can be time taking and messy. Oil mess from engine is =
usual cause of their deterioration, though. No need to remove it; just =
shove the gearbox around to judge free movement, of which there should =
be less than 1/8 inch.=20
    Axle U bolts--the usual cause. If you have not already installed =
those wear plates on top of the axle, remove one bolt and feel for =
groove worn where the U bolt passes over axle tube. Buy a pair of the =
wear plates if there is any groove, and not a bad thing to have them =
installed anyway. MGA and later had them on the axles from new.
    Best of luck finding it--this can be a challenge. I have been =
chasing it for a decade.
  Bob

  ---------- Original Message ----------
  From: Mike Duvall via Mgs <[email-masked]>
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [Mgs] backing up shudder
  Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 12:28:20 -0500

  Both my A and TD started jumping or shuddering when backing up.    I =
had this happen before-  seems odd it started again on 2 cars but =
coincidence I'm sure.

  I searched and can't find much so I want to know if I'm missing =
anything.

  Possible:
  front engine mount
  transmission mount  (do I have to take it out to see on the TD?)=20
  axle U bolts=20

  TD engine stabilizer

  TD clutch (seems like might have been the problem last time but what =
do I adjust here)

  Other ideas or what am I missing?   I read pilot bearings but were =
replaced so I doubt much wear.=20

  Thanks, Mike

  [email-masked]
  Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
  Suggested annual donation  $12.75
  Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
  Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
  Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----

  [email-masked]
  Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
  Suggested annual donation  $12.75
  Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
  Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
  Unsubscribe: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01D0ABFB.AB881E70
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Any above plus oil on the clutch.&nbsp; Mine started =
only=20
after clutch replacement, which was annoying, and has been doing it for=20
50k.&nbsp; I&nbsp; just use higher revs then I normally would when =
slipping for=20
reversing, others say lower revs reduces it.&nbsp; C'est la =
vie.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"=20
dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=[email-masked] =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">mgbob--- via=20
  Mgs</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
  href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Cc:</B> <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
  href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, June 20, 2015 =
9:39=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Mgs] backing up=20
  shudder</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp; Welcome back to the judder club. &nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp; In the TD, causes can be all you listed:</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp; &nbsp;Front mount-possible, I suppose you could use a pry =
bar=20
  gently and life engine to see if rubber has un-stuck from the metal. =
Originals=20
  lasted 50 years. Today's improved replacements about 1/5 of that. Lift =
gently,=20
  though, as you don't want to cause separation if it has not already=20
  happened.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp; Stabiliser-check that movement of engine is about 1/8 =
inch, which=20
  is about the "give" in the rubbers. If more, look further, to =
adjusting the=20
  bar if there is evidence that the turnbuckle has moved (not likely), =
and=20
  inspection of the rubbers.&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp; Transmission mount--from underneath, push up and pull down =
on the=20
  gearbox tail or at the flange. There should not be much movement. If =
the=20
  rubbers are bulged and cracked, they may be bad. Changing them is not=20
  complicated, but can be time taking and messy. Oil mess from engine is =
usual=20
  cause of their deterioration, though. No need to remove it; just shove =
the=20
  gearbox around to judge free movement, of which there should be less =
than 1/8=20
  inch.&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp; Axle U bolts--the usual cause. If you have not already =
installed=20
  those wear plates on top of the axle, remove one bolt and feel for =
groove worn=20
  where the U bolt passes over axle tube. Buy a pair of the wear plates =
if there=20
  is any groove, and not a bad thing to have them installed anyway. MGA =
and=20
  later had them on the axles from new.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp; Best of luck finding it--this can be a challenge. I have =
been=20
  chasing it for a decade.</DIV>
  <DIV>Bob</DIV>
  <DIV><BR><BR>---------- Original Message ----------<BR>From: Mike =
Duvall via=20
  Mgs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<BR>To: [email-masked]<BR>Subject: =
[Mgs]=20
  backing up shudder<BR>Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 12:28:20 =
-0500<BR><BR><BR>Both my=20
  A and TD started jumping or shuddering when backing up. =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I=20
  had this happen before- &nbsp;seems odd it started again on 2 cars but =

  coincidence I=92m sure.<BR><BR>I searched and can=92t find much so I =
want to know=20
  if I=92m missing anything=85<BR><BR>Possible:<BR>front engine=20
  mount<BR>transmission mount &nbsp;(do I have to take it out to see on =
the TD?)=20
  <BR>axle U bolts <BR><BR>TD engine stabilizer<BR><BR>TD clutch (seems =
like=20
  might have been the problem last time but what do I adjust=20
  here)<BR><BR><BR>Other ideas or what am I missing? &nbsp;&nbsp;I read =
pilot=20
  bearings but were replaced so I doubt much wear. <BR><BR>Thanks,=20
  =
Mike<BR>_______________________________________________<BR><BR>Mgs@autox.=
team.net<BR>Donate:=20
  http://www.team.net/donate.html<BR>Suggested annual donation=20
  &nbsp;$12.75<BR>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<BR>Forums:=20
  http://www.team.net/forums<BR>Unsubscribe:=20
  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
  <P></P>
  <P>
  <HR>

  =
<P></P>_______________________________________________<BR><BR>[email-masked]=
eam.net<BR>Donate:=20
  http://www.team.net/donate.html<BR>Suggested annual donation&nbsp;=20
  $12.75<BR>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<BR>Forums:=20
  http://www.team.net/forums<BR>Unsubscribe:=20
  =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]<BR><=
/DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01D0ABFB.AB881E70--

--===============1854938287875091491==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1854938287875091491==--