Subject: [Mgs] Advance curve for MGA 1500

From: "W. David Houser via Mgs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 17:33:51 -0400

Listers,
Anyone have the information or a website where a friend can find this information?
Seems to me it should be published somewhere….
My friend is looking for….."the advance curve for the 1500, be able to figure out the spring force needed to restrain the mechanism at any given angular shift.”
He has not been able to find springs for same at a reasonable price and is attempting to make his own!
Can anyone help?
Cheers in advance,
Dave Houser
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 08:38:29 +0100

Distributor Doctor http://www.distributordoctor.com/ has spring sets for 
named 25D4 distributors, for the MGB at least.

A huge amount of timing data here http://www.starchak.ca/tech/pdfs/lucas.pdf

But the thing to bear in mind is that even with the correct springs (or 
making your own to meet the original factory curve), the fuel in use today 
is very different from when these cars were originally specced by the 
factory.  In the UK at least it is not unusual to be unable to run factory 
specs without pinking, and it has to be retarded slightly, even with higher 
octane fuels.

Unless he intends to spend a long time on a rolling road determining exactly 
what curve his engine needs now on his fuel, he would be better off simply 
setting the timing to give just the faintest trace of pinking when 
accelerating from 30 to 50 at full throttle in top gear.

The other option is to get a programmable timing module, which uses a locked 
distributor, then you can design your own curve.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

> My friend is looking for….."the advance curve for the 1500, be able to 
> figure out the spring force needed to restrain the mechanism at any given 
> angular shift.”
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
> 

[email-masked]