Subject: [Mgs] question about steering rebuild

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 19:04:31 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7608883510663157734==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0037_01D0919D.7921B6D0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01D0919D.7921B6D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

When I hit the road in my 62 II deluxe, especially on bumpy roads, I get a
lot of rumbling , clunking and shaking. She goes down the highway smoothly;
no veering and only above 70 do I start to get some shimmying. I am planning
to put in a major suspension kit and steering bits in on my 62 II deluxe. My
rack seals are fine, I will put in new tie-rod ends. I am interested in any
input about other parts that should be replaced. I am thinking specifically
about any steering ball parts, or shims. Suspension springs front and rear,
rebound buffers. Although there is no problem that I am aware of, I am also
thinking of putting new bearings in. This is because I don't know how long
it's been since any of these steering and suspension bits and pieces have
been replaced and because I am going to be there anyway. Seems like shocks
shouldn't normally need replacing, but is there any reasonable R&R (I expect
draining and replacing with some kind of oil, but should shims be put in
under the internal spring?)? Pushing down on a corner of the car tends to
bounce more than modern shocks.

Any input welcome and helpful to all:<)))

TIA,

Clayton

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01D0919D.7921B6D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>When I hit the road in my 62 II deluxe, especially on =
bumpy roads, I get a lot of rumbling , clunking and shaking. She goes =
down the highway smoothly; no veering and only above 70 do I start to =
get some shimmying. I am planning to put in a major suspension kit and =
steering bits in on my 62 II deluxe. My rack seals are fine, I will put =
in new tie-rod ends. I am interested in any input about other parts that =
should be replaced. I am thinking specifically about any steering ball =
parts, or shims. Suspension springs front and rear, rebound buffers. =
Although there is no problem that I am aware of, I am also thinking of =
putting new bearings in. This is because I don&#8217;t know how long =
it&#8217;s been since any of these steering and suspension bits and =
pieces have been replaced and because I am going to be there anyway. =
Seems like shocks shouldn&#8217;t normally need replacing, but is there =
any reasonable R&amp;R (I expect draining and replacing with some kind =
of oil, but should shims be put in under the internal spring?)? Pushing =
down on a corner of the car tends to bounce more than modern =
shocks.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Any input welcome and helpful to =
all:&lt;)))<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>TIA,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Clayton<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0037_01D0919D.7921B6D0--

--===============7608883510663157734==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============7608883510663157734==--