Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB V8 rear end noise

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:14:32 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============8032406380948403913==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00E9_01D081CE.694E9C70"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00E9_01D081CE.694E9C70
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I know nowt about Ford rear ends and little enough of MGB, but are they =
even adjustable?

Incidentally the propshaft should always be at an angle to both the =
gearbox output shaft and the diff input shaft under steady running =
conditions so as to force the UJ bearings to rotate back and fore as the =
propshaft rotates.  If they are always dead in line the UJ bearings will =
wear rapidly.

http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/files/Universal_Joint_Alignment_Proc_1116=
06.pdf

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  ... I am guessing that the pinion angle may be off. Does anyone have a =
suggestion to what the proper angle should be? 
------=_NextPart_000_00E9_01D081CE.694E9C70
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=EF=BB=BF<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3Dcontent-type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff text=3D#000000>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I know nowt about Ford rear ends and little enough =
of MGB, but=20
are they even adjustable?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Incidentally the propshaft should always be at an =
angle to=20
both the gearbox output shaft and the diff input shaft under steady =
running=20
conditions&nbsp;so as to&nbsp;force the UJ bearings to&nbsp;rotate back =
and fore=20
as the propshaft rotates.&nbsp; If they are always dead in line the UJ =
bearings=20
will wear rapidly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/files/Universal_Joint_Alignment_P=
roc_111606.pdf">http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/files/Universal_Joint_Ali=
gnment_Proc_111606.pdf</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><FONT size=3D2 =
face=3DArial>..</FONT>. I am=20
  guessing that the pinion angle may be off. Does anyone have a =
suggestion to=20
  what the proper angle should be? =
</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00E9_01D081CE.694E9C70--

--===============8032406380948403913==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============8032406380948403913==--

---

From: Max Heim via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:07:30 -0700

The pinion angle is adjustable by rotating the whole axle in the u-bolts. It’s only a matter of a degree or two.

--
Max Heim
[email-masked]

> On Apr 28, 2015, at 8:14 AM, PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I know nowt about Ford rear ends and little enough of MGB, but are they even adjustable?
>  
> Incidentally the propshaft should always be at an angle to both the gearbox output shaft and the diff input shaft under steady running conditions so as to force the UJ bearings to rotate back and fore as the propshaft rotates.  If they are always dead in line the UJ bearings will wear rapidly.
>  
> http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/files/Universal_Joint_Alignment_Proc_111606.pdf
>  
>> ----- Original Message ----- 
>> ... I am guessing that the pinion angle may be off. Does anyone have a suggestion to what the proper angle should be? 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Dan DiBiase via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 23:44:15 +0000 (UTC)

--===============9078369648860021995==
	boundary="----=_Part_66366_547891479.1430264655566"

------=_Part_66366_547891479.1430264655566
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Jim, you might want to try the MGB Experience web site, they have a forum o=
n swapped B's that might be of help.
Dan D'76B, '65BCentral NJ USA     From: Jim Ray via Mgs <[email-masked]=
 To: MG-V8 List <[email-masked]>; MG Digest <[email-masked]>=20
 Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 9:35 AM
 Subject: [Mgs] MGB V8 rear end noise
  =20
  My 1980 MGB V8 conversion has a Ford 8" rear end that makes a terrible wh=
ining noise. I have replaced the crown and pinion gears but saw no improvem=
ent. I am guessing that the pinion angle may be off. Does anyone have a sug=
gestion to what the proper angle should be? Any suggestions would be greatl=
y appreciated.
=20
 Jim Ray
 =20
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

------=_Part_66366_547891479.1430264655566
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"color:#000; background-color:#fff; font-family:He=
lveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif;fo=
nt-size:13px"><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1430253664049_16488">Jim, you might w=
ant to try the MGB Experience web site, they have a forum on swapped B's th=
at might be of help.</div><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1430253664049_16489"><br>=
</div><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1430253664049_16490" dir=3D"ltr">Dan D</div><=
div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1430253664049_16491" dir=3D"ltr">'76B, '65B</div><di=
v id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1430253664049_16492" dir=3D"ltr">Central NJ USA</div><=
div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1430253664049_16496" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica=
Neue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif; font-siz=
e: 13px;"> <div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1430253664049_16495" style=3D"font-famil=
y: HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-ser=
if; font-size: 16px;"> <div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1430253664049_16494" dir=3D"=
ltr"> <hr id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1430253664049_16493" size=3D"1">  <font id=3D"=
yui_3_16_0_1_1430253664049_16497" face=3D"Arial" size=3D"2"> <b><span style=
=3D"font-weight:bold;">From:</span></b> Jim Ray via Mgs &lt;[email-masked].=
net&gt;<br> <b><span style=3D"font-weight: bold;">To:</span></b> MG-V8 List=
 &lt;[email-masked]&gt;; MG Digest &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br> <=
b><span style=3D"font-weight: bold;">Sent:</span></b> Tuesday, April 28, 20=
15 9:35 AM<br> <b><span style=3D"font-weight: bold;">Subject:</span></b> [M=
gs] MGB V8 rear end noise<br> </font> </div> <div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_143025=
3664049_16498" class=3D"y_msg_container"><br><div id=3D"yiv0698966634">
 =20

   =20
 =20
  <div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1430253664049_16500">
    <font id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1430253664049_16499" face=3D"Times New Roman">=
My 1980 MGB V8 conversion has a Ford 8"
      rear end that makes a terrible whining noise. I have replaced the
      crown and pinion gears but saw no improvement. I am guessing that
      the pinion angle may be off. Does anyone have a suggestion to what
      the proper angle should be? Any suggestions would be greatly
      appreciated.<br>
      <br>
      Jim Ray<br>
    </font>
  </div>

</div><br>_______________________________________________<br><br><a ymailto=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Mgs@autox=
.team.net</a><br>Donate: <a id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1430253664049_16501" href=3D=
"http://www.team.net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/don=
ate.html</a><br>Suggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.75<br>Archive: <a id=3D=
"yui_3_16_0_1_1430253664049_16502" href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" tar=
get=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Forums: <a href=3D"http:/=
/www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>U=
nsubscribe: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/d_dibiase@=
yahoo.com" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/d_di=
[email-masked]</a><br><br><br></div> </div> </div>  </div></body></html>
------=_Part_66366_547891479.1430264655566--

--===============9078369648860021995==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============9078369648860021995==--

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 20:24:45 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============9116845675878167459==
 boundary="------------000704070500030405030900"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------000704070500030405030900
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Even a new ring & pinion set will whine if the gear lash is not set 
correctly.  Who installed the parts & set them up?  Another thing to 
look for is wear in the isolator pads between the axle & the springs.  
You don't want metal-to-metal contact.

CR

On 4/28/2015 8:35 AM, Jim Ray via Mgs wrote:
> My 1980 MGB V8 conversion has a Ford 8" rear end that makes a terrible 
> whining noise. I have replaced the crown and pinion gears but saw no 
> improvement. I am guessing that the pinion angle may be off. Does 
> anyone have a suggestion to what the proper angle should be? Any 
> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jim Ray
>
>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--------------000704070500030405030900
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    Even a new ring &amp; pinion set will whine if the gear lash is not
    set correctly.  Who installed the parts &amp; set them up?  Another
    thing to look for is wear in the isolator pads between the axle
    &amp; the springs.  You don't want metal-to-metal contact.<br>
    <br>
    CR<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 4/28/2015 8:35 AM, Jim Ray via Mgs
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:[email-masked]" type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <font face="Times New Roman">My 1980 MGB V8 conversion has a Ford
        8" rear end that makes a terrible whining noise. I have replaced
        the crown and pinion gears but saw no improvement. I am guessing
        that the pinion angle may be off. Does anyone have a suggestion
        to what the proper angle should be? Any suggestions would be
        greatly appreciated.<br>
        <br>
        Jim Ray<br>
      </font> <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------000704070500030405030900--

--===============9116845675878167459==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============9116845675878167459==--