Subject: Re: [Mgs] First drive of the year/Fuel smells

From: mgbob--- via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 21:23:37 GMT

--===============4013229516009498935==

----__JWM__J246cefd4.5721ff7dS.49c5b50bM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

Further to Barney's notes:   if the metal line going forward to the adso=
rbtion cannister is clogged, pressure can build in the un-vented tank an=
d push vapors through any of the hose connections. Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Barney Gaylord via Mgs <[email-masked]>
To: Aaron Whiteman <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked] List" <mgs@=
autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] First drive of the year/Fuel smells
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:43:25 -0600

 Check the filler pipe rubber connector hose first.

 Late model MGBs have fuel vapor recovery system.  This includes an expa=
nsion tank high inside the RR fender (in the boot)  with a flex hose bet=
ween the expansion tank and the fuel tank.  This hose appeaars to connec=
t to the boot floor near the filler pipe.  If this hose leak it will spi=
ll a bit of fuel into the boot, especially just after filling the tank.

 There is another connection to the expansion tank going forward.  If th=
is one leaks it can contribute fuel fumes into the boot space.

 The later model MGB also has flat top fuel tank.  These tend to rust ou=
t on top like Swiss cheese, then will spill fuel from the top surface wi=
th the tank is filled or near full.

 Barney Gaylord
 1958 MGA with an attitude
 http://MGAguru.com

 =

 At 07:59 AM 4/16/2015 -0700, Aaron Whiteman via Mgs wrote:

On Apr 15, 2015, at 6:31 AM, Paul Root via Mgs <[email-masked]> wrot=
e:

 I got my MG out a couple weeks ago, then it turned cold again, so it sa=
t in the garage. ....
 ....
 The only thing really wrong right now is that my trunk smells of gasoli=
ne. Not a lot, but it=E2&euro;&trade;s there. The tank is new (one of th=
ose Canadian made nickel-plated tanks), but the plumbing isn=E2&euro;&tr=
ade;t. I suspect the filler neck is cracked. Any other likely candidates=
? It=E2&euro;&trade;s not overwhelming, but it=E2&euro;&trade;s enough t=
hat if I leave a shirt in the boot overnight, it has to be aired out for=
 a while before I can stand to wear it.
----__JWM__J246cefd4.5721ff7dS.49c5b50bM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>Further to Barney's notes: &nbsp; if the metal line going for=
ward to the adsorbtion cannister is clogged, pressure can build in the u=
n-vented tank and push vapors through any of the hose connections.&nbsp;=
</div><div>Bob</div><div><br><br>---------- Original Message ----------<=
br>From: Barney Gaylord via Mgs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: Aaron =
Whiteman &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, "[email-masked] List" &lt;mgs@a=
utox.team.net&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [Mgs] First drive of the year/Fuel sme=
lls<br>Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:43:25 -0600<br><br><br> Check the fille=
r pipe rubber connector hose first.<br><br> Late model MGBs have fuel va=
por recovery system.&nbsp; This includes an expansion tank high inside t=
he RR fender (in the boot)&nbsp; with a flex hose between the expansion =
tank and the fuel tank.&nbsp; This hose appeaars to connect to the boot =
floor near the filler pipe.&nbsp; If this hose leak it will spill a bit =
of fuel into the boot, especially just after filling the tank.<br><br> T=
here is another connection to the expansion tank going forward.&nbsp; If=
 this one leaks it can contribute fuel fumes into the boot space.<br><br=
> The later model MGB also has flat top fuel tank.&nbsp; These tend to r=
ust out on top like Swiss cheese, then will spill fuel from the top surf=
ace with the tank is filled or near full.<br><br> Barney Gaylord<br> 195=
8 MGA with an attitude<br> <a href=3D"http://mgaguru.com/">http://MGAgur=
u.com<br><br> <br><br> </a>At 07:59 AM 4/16/2015 -0700, Aaron Whiteman v=
ia Mgs wrote:<br><br></p><blockquote class=3D"cite" cite=3D""><blockquot=
e class=3D"cite" cite=3D"">On Apr 15, 2015, at 6:31 AM, Paul Root via Mg=
s &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; w=
rote:<br><br> I got my MG out a couple weeks ago, then it turned cold ag=
ain, so it sat in the garage. ....</blockquote><br> ....<br> The only th=
ing really wrong right now is that my trunk smells of gasoline. Not a lo=
t, but it&acirc;&euro;&trade;s there. The tank is new (one of those Cana=
dian made nickel-plated tanks), but the plumbing isn&acirc;&euro;&trade;=
t. I suspect the filler neck is cracked. Any other likely candidates? It=
&acirc;&euro;&trade;s not overwhelming, but it&acirc;&euro;&trade;s enou=
gh that if I leave a shirt in the boot overnight, it has to be aired out=
 for a while before I can stand to wear it.</blockquote></html>

----__JWM__J246cefd4.5721ff7dS.49c5b50bM--

--===============4013229516009498935==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============4013229516009498935==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:15:22 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============0556860587744930615==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_004E_01D078E6.A6809440"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01D078E6.A6809440
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

That's usually noticed first as fuel starvation as air can't get back =
from the canister to replace the fuel as it is used.  Of course it could =
have both issues ...

The vapour recovery system was used from 1970 and 71, not particularly =
late.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  Further to Barney's notes:   if the metal line going forward to the =
adsorbtion cannister is clogged, pressure can build in the un-vented =
tank and push vapors through any of the hose connections.=20

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01D078E6.A6809440
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>That's usually noticed first as fuel starvation as =
air can't=20
get back from the canister to replace the fuel as it is used.&nbsp; Of =
course it=20
could have both issues ...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The vapour recovery system was used from 1970 and =
71, not=20
particularly late.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"=20
dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV>Further to Barney's notes: &nbsp; if the metal line going forward =
to the=20
  adsorbtion cannister is clogged, pressure can build in the un-vented =
tank and=20
  push vapors through any of the hose connections.&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01D078E6.A6809440--

--===============0556860587744930615==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0556860587744930615==--