Subject: Re: [Mgs] UK List Users

From: Mike Duvall via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 13:19:43 -0600

Reality tv:  a genre of programming that documents unscripted situations and actual occurrences with a documentary style.  Much of the criticism focuses on the term reality as they attempt to present themselves as a straightforward  recounting of events.  Low production costs and high popularity is a formula for high profits.  

> 
>> 
>> Do the guys really drive the cars?
>> Here in the U.S. we never see programs where the cars are driven flat out. 
>> I was surprised to hear about Clarkson's lack of knowledge.
>> I agree that 5th Gear is one hot hatch after another. Years ago I thought 
>> it was pretty good.  Wheeler Dealers does have a lot of US cars being 
>> worked on by Ed.
>> One of our better shows is Fantom Works. I went to see their operation and 
>> they are very much the real thing.
>> _______
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Simon Matthews via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 19:57:54 -0800

You don't really think that "reality" programs are unscripted do you?

Simon

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 11:19 AM, Mike Duvall via Mgs
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 08:39:52 -0000

Top Gear is NOT 'reality' TV, in the way that 'reality' TV is on UK TV at 
least.  They all rely on a succession of people desperate for their 15 
minutes of fame.  The participants are unscripted but the situations and 
occurrences are - very carefully, for health and safety reasons at the very 
least.  Neither they nor TG can be considered to have a 'documentary style', 
going by any documentary that I have watched.  Yes, 'reality' shows have low 
production costs - "line ten people up and let's see how big a fool they can 
make out of themselves", incomparable with TG costs said to be £7M per 
series, and that's before the Big Three have been paid.  Some of stunts TG 
have pulled cost a lot of money, unlike seeing how long someone can sit in a 
bath of poo eating cockroaches, while pretending to be in an equatorial 
jungle.

----- Original Message ----- 
> Reality tv:  a genre of programming that documents unscripted situations
> and actual occurrences with a documentary style.  Much of the criticism
> focuses on the term reality as they attempt to present themselves as a
> straightforward  recounting of events.  Low production costs and high
> popularity is a formula for high profits.

[email-masked]