Subject: Re: [Mgs] OT - F1 (besides, its too quiet here

From: Barrie Robinson via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 09:18:29 -0500

I watch F1 avidly as a long time ago used to field a TR2 in the Far 
East when I worked for a British import company.  I find adverts most 
annoying and I never buy anything that appears on television.  But as 
to F1, I remember when F1 was about cars and drivers not rules and 
regulations.  The current events are just technology squeezed through 
a sieve.   Why restrict tyres, why restrict overtaking and why 
restrict car weight.   Why not just restrict engine weight !   I 
still get goose bumps viewing Fangio negotiating the down bend at 
Monte Carlo.   Nothing like that now.  All cars look the same, all 
cars sound the same. Events such as the screaming 12 cylinder Honda 
that burst on the scene way back when will not happen again,  We just 
get processed stodge overseen by highly paid F1 controllers.   With 
all the technology now how long will it be before F1 cars drive themselves?

My project sits in the garage in freezing minus 17 degrees Celsius.

At 07:31 AM 1/17/2015 -0600, Rick Lindsay via Mgs wrote:
>Hello Friends,
>
>In the quiet hours of this morning,  I have chosen to share some OT 
>thoughts. Please delete now if you find this offensive. I promise it 
>won't happen often. But if you also follow Formula1, please read on.
>
>I just read that the FIA has agreed to allow Honda in-season engine 
>development for the 2015 F1 season. Could this be the first sane FIA 
>decision in recent years? The article didn't say specifically if 
>Honda would be afforded the same development opportunities as the 
>other teams. Only that they had won their appeal with the FIA. That 
>alone is a quantum change!
>
>What are your thoughts regarding the 2015 season? I know some of 
>you, like many in the general public, feel that F1 is living on 
>borrowed time. I too have noticed the half-empty grandstands and the 
>increased frequency of TV commercials, in the States anyway. But it 
>seems that the message may have gotten through to the organizers. 
>Healthy changes may be coming. Often it takes a bit of time, plus a 
>significant financial hit, to overcome an owner's arrogance. Only 
>then do they learn that one can't just force feed their customers 
>silliness for very long before those customers are no longer customers!
>
>Counter to trend, I expect McLaren to come on strong and stay 
>strong. The chassis last year, wasn't bad. And this isn't Honda's 
>first rodeo. Jensen is a very smooth driver. As such, he doesn't add 
>a lot of 'noise' to the data stream coming off of the car. Same with 
>tires. One might even view his drives as in-season testing, while 
>still capable of gathering up points. And of course, Fred is good.
>
>I hope to see Williams continue the progress they showed in the 
>later half of 2014. They too can be strong. Massa may have lost that 
>chip from his shoulder by now, so the whining may subside. I hope 
>so. He's a good driver but I fear his championship aspirations are 
>behind him. Still, good for points.
>
>I believe Ferrari's public statements about hoping to win two races 
>this season, is an 'under promise, over deliver' scheme. That 
>psychological approach rallies the fans around the underdog. But, 
>"Have no fear, Underdog is here!" Below are my thoughts on the 2015 
>season for the red cars.
>
>Kimi will just keep on doing whatever he does. But, what will Seb do 
>in a red fire suit? Personally, I care very little about the 
>drivers. I like the cars - but you may know that. What I do follow 
>is how the driver influences car development.
>
>Seb's self-described driving style is 'point-n-squirt'. That works 
>great in a chassis that handles the rest of the issues. Witness the 
>earlier Red Bulls. But make the chassis a pig to drive, like most of 
>the cars last last season, and that go-kart style of driving doesn't 
>work. One has to actually drive the car from braking point through 
>to exit, rather than just ride it out. The big question in my mind 
>remains: Even if Ferrari can build enough power into the hybrid 
>abortion energy system (or whatever politically correct name 
>chosen), can they build a chassis, within the current formula, that 
>fits Seb's point-n-squirt driving style? That, my friends, is what 
>will define Ferrari's performance in 2015. Remember, Adrian Newey 
>couldn't do it last year and he is arguably the preeminent designer. 
>That said, I feel that the key element in the instability is that 
>stupid rear brake-by-wire, not aerodynamics.
>
>Mercedes will be strong, no doubt. The chassis is a work of art and 
>the engine is excellent. But this season, it may not stand out so 
>far above the crowd. What they made work is the braking. That let 
>them take full advantage of the power available.
>
>And the other teams? Predicting their performance is as reliable as 
>predicting roulette. Well, except perhaps for Lotus. They may bring 
>some nice surprises for us. I'd love to see them gather a bunch of 
>constructor points, perhaps even a few wins!
>
>Personally, I want Minardi and the innovative offerings of Ken 
>Tyrrell back. But alas...
>
>Thanks for sharing my aside,
>
>-rick
>PS: Reassembly of the until-now stalled TD, resumes this week! Woohoo!
>_______________________________________________
>
>[email-masked]
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

Regards,
Barrie

Barrie Robinson                         Go with the flow - but paddle hard
MGB GT V8 in concours condition
Aston Martin DB 2/4 MkII under restoration
www.AMFClub.com
www.britcot.com
www.vectisgroup.ca
[email-masked]
Barrie, Ontario
705-721-9060 

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 14:44:31 -0000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============5408446240977236738==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00E0_01D03264.1A3EB520"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00E0_01D03264.1A3EB520
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I didn't see the reasoning behind Honda not having the same development =
opportunities as everyone else, so if they now do then I see no problem.

Increased frequency of TV commercials (ugh) is surely a sign of =
increased TV audience, isn't it?  Emptying grandstands may just be a =
sign of increasing consumer resistance to pricing.  I see Silverstone's =
director wants to reduce prices, saying they have been far too high.  =
Other commentators have said that the quieter engines have brought a =
wider audience, families with children, as there is less risk of harm to =
their hearing.  I have not been able to understand the fuss and =
complaints about them being less noisy.

As for Ferrari, a documentary on John Surtees this week described how as =
a Ferrari driver he was given an untested car at Sebring (I think) at =
the last minute over his planned car, as the team manager wanted an =
Italian to win.  In the event Surtees still won, despite being partly =
poisoned by exhaust fumes.  The team manager then raised an objection =
saying he hadn't done enough laps, but was overruled as Surtees's wife's =
lap charts coincided exactly with the organisers.  Was ever thus.

A superb season last year, the best for many.  I hadn't been so keyed up =
as for that last race since probably the 80s.  I hope the commentators =
grow up a bit though and don't try to blow the competitiveness between =
Hamilton and Rosberg out of all proportion like they did last year.

PaulH.

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rick Lindsay via Mgs=20
  To: Dan DiBiase via Mgs ; [email-masked]=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2015 1:31 PM
  Subject: [Mgs] OT - F1 (besides, its too quiet here

  Hello Friends,

  In the quiet hours of this morning,  I have chosen to share some OT =
thoughts. Please delete now if you find this offensive. I promise it =
won't happen often. But if you also follow Formula1, please read on.
------=_NextPart_000_00E0_01D03264.1A3EB520
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=EF=BB=BF<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUTF-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I didn't see the reasoning behind Honda not having =
the same=20
development opportunities as everyone else, so if they now do then I see =
no=20
problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Increased frequency of TV commercials (ugh) is =
surely a sign=20
of increased TV audience, isn't it?&nbsp; Emptying grandstands may just =
be a=20
sign of increasing consumer resistance to pricing.&nbsp; I see =
Silverstone's=20
director wants to reduce prices, saying they have been far too =
high.&nbsp; Other=20
commentators have said that the quieter engines have brought a wider =
audience,=20
families with children, as there is less risk of harm to their =
hearing.&nbsp; I=20
have not been able to understand the fuss and complaints about them =
being less=20
noisy.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As for Ferrari, a documentary on John Surtees this =
week=20
described how as a Ferrari driver he was given an untested car at =
Sebring (I=20
think) at the last minute over his planned car, as the team manager =
wanted an=20
Italian to win.&nbsp; In the event Surtees still won, despite =
being&nbsp;partly=20
poisoned by exhaust fumes.&nbsp; The team manager then raised an =
objection=20
saying he hadn't done enough laps, but was overruled as Surtees's wife's =
lap=20
charts coincided exactly with the organisers.&nbsp; Was ever =
thus.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>A superb season last year, the best for many.&nbsp; =
I hadn't=20
been so keyed up as for that last race&nbsp;since probably the =
80s.&nbsp; I hope=20
the commentators grow up a bit though and don't try to&nbsp;blow the=20
competitiveness between Hamilton and Rosberg out of all proportion like =
they did=20
last year.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=[email-masked] href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Rick =
Lindsay via=20
  Mgs</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
  href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Dan DiBiase via Mgs</A> ; <A=20
  title=[email-masked]=20
  href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, January 17, =
2015 1:31=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Mgs] OT - F1 =
(besides, its too=20
  quiet here</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>Hello Friends,
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>In the quiet hours of this morning, &nbsp;I have chosen to share =
some OT=20
  thoughts. Please delete now if you find this offensive. I promise it =
won't=20
  happen often. But if you also follow Formula1, please read=20
on.</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00E0_01D03264.1A3EB520--

--===============5408446240977236738==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5408446240977236738==--