Subject: [Mgs] Stuff and nonsense

From: Max Heim via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 20:10:17 -0800

Sometimes it's not just one thing, or even two things.

I have been struggling with the B for awhile. First I decided it needed front wheel bearings and it took a while to get them in and find time to install them. In the meantime the battery went flat. It turned out to have joined the choir invisible, as they say, so I installed a new battery. I thought while it was sitting around I would install the Lucas Sport Coil that I had acquired for the new project. 

Finally, today the weather was splendid and I had the time to go for a jaunt. The first 15 miles of highway driving went well, then I exited to do some shopping. The B sputtered to stop within a few blocks. I pushed it into a parking lot and popped the bonnet. Nothing looked particularly amiss, but the coil was too hot to touch. Hmm. The old coil didn't do that. I redid the connections just in case, then went into McD's to wash up. After that it fired right up. Huh.

I took a longer route home to avoid the bridge. It made it within 4 blocks of my house. This time I said to myself "That is the fuel pump crapping out." As I was on a quiet street I just grabbed my hammer from the boot and confidently gave the pump a few taps. No clicks. So I reached in to feel the hot lead, and it came off in my hand -- just the wire, leaving the female connector on the pump. Oh. So I started pushing it up the middle of the street. This was a little tough as it is a slight uphill, and my calves were tired from 18 miles on my bike earlier. Fortunately a young guy pulled up and asked if I needed help. I replied "Yeah, just for three blocks." That was cool.

Not so cool: about midway up the next block, a guy in a Bimmer stopped and gushed "What a cool car! Are those Melee stickers? Awesome! What a perfect thing to be pushing. I'm an old car guy, too!"...and proceeded to drive on without helping. Thanks, dude. I guess the reputation is well deserved.

Anyway, once it was in the carport, I got a new end crimped on, but it still wouldn't start. So I changed out the coil for the old one. That did the trick. Faulty out of the box?

While I was under the fuel pump I discovered the flex hose was seeping fuel. So it's kind of a good thing I had a reason to look under there. But a bad thing to have a loose power wire under a fuel drip. So it goes. It's still not roadworthy until I get that replaced.

Sent from my iPad
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 09:36:38 -0000

Sounds to me like you might have installed a coil for ballasted ignition on 
an unballasted circuit.  Chrome bumper cars originally had unballasted 
ignition and a 3 ohm coil.  Rubber bumper cars originally had ballasted 
ignition and a 1.5 ohm coil, but owners may have bypassed the ballast so it 
now needs a coil for an unballasted system.  Put the 1.5 ohm coil on an 
unballasted system and it will take twice the current and get twice as hot. 
Sport coils for unballasted systems may measure about 2.4 ohms and for 
ballasted systems about 1.2 ohms, and so get a little hotter than standard 
coils.  You have to ignore what anything on the coil might say, or what is 
on the box, or what the bloke behind the counter and told you, and measure 
the resistance to be sure what you have.

What ignition system do you have?  If the points gap is too small i.e. dwell 
too high that will make the coil run hotter.  Some under-cap fixed-dwell 
electronic triggers have a higher dwell than points and again result in 
hotter coils.  A variable dwell system - if it is working correctly - should 
result in a much cooler coil.  Coils on unballasted systems run hotter than 
coils on ballasted systems.  As to temperatures, I have a ballasted and an 
unballasted.  In winter i.e 10C/50F they have measured about 40C/104F which 
is not much more than warm.  In summer at temps of 27C/80F the unballasted 
was about 67C/152F and the ballasted was about 62C/144F.  If the electrical 
conditions don't change the temperature of a coil is solely dependant on 
ambient temperature - it has to be higher than the air around it in order to 
dissipate the energy that the electrical circuit is putting in to it.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Lindsay via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 07:20:49 -0600

--===============2715655010010859977==

----_com.android.email_82688660752810
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_82688660752810
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_82688660752810--

--===============2715655010010859977==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2715655010010859977==--