Subject: Re: [Mgs] Speed kills

From: David Breneman via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 01:55:46 +0000 (UTC)

From: Allan Thompson via Mgs <[email-masked]>

> The slogan 'Speed kills' comes from a road safety
> campaign in the UK. Scrutiny of accident statistics
> shows that on public roads, when speeds rise, more
> people die in accidents than in low speed accidents.

There was a similar campaign in the US decades ago,
and of course it's total BS.  Bad driving kills.
Driving too fast for conditions is dangerous, but
driving faster, or slower, than a posted speed limit
is in and of itself neither safe nor unsafe.  The
US had s similar campaign to celebrate the benighted
55 MPH speed limit, "55 Saves Lives."  The fact that
it was demonstrably untrue, that accident rates
actually went up after the law's passage, did not 

deter the ad campaign one bit.

"Safety Fast"
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 09:38:03 -0000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============7707017305556652306==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0028_01D03302.74AD4CD0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01D03302.74AD4CD0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Except that the roads with the highest speeds and the greatest volume of =
traffic i.e. motorways have the lowest collision (no such thing as =
'accidents') and death rates.  After decades of falling death rates =
despite rapidly growing vehicle miles, numbers of deaths are now going =
up in the UK, because the quality of driving is falling faster than =
safety features can be introduced.  Roll-on autonomous cars - except for =
me of course.  Oh, I momentarily forgot, they only work in California, =
not when it's raining.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  The slogan 'Speed kills' comes from a road safety campaign in the UK.
  Scrutiny of accident statistics shows that on public roads, when =
speeds rise, more people die in accidents than in low speed accidents.
------=_NextPart_000_0028_01D03302.74AD4CD0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=EF=BB=BF<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUTF-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Except that the roads with the highest speeds and =
the greatest=20
volume of traffic&nbsp;i.e. motorways have the lowest&nbsp;collision (no =
such=20
thing as 'accidents')&nbsp;and death rates.&nbsp; After decades of =
falling death=20
rates despite rapidly growing vehicle miles, numbers of deaths are now =
going up=20
in the UK, because the quality of driving is falling faster than safety =
features=20
can be introduced.&nbsp; Roll-on autonomous cars - except for me of=20
course.&nbsp; Oh, I momentarily forgot, they only work in California,=20
not&nbsp;when it's&nbsp;raining.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>The slogan 'Speed kills' comes from a road safety campaign in the =

  UK.</DIV>
  <DIV>Scrutiny of accident statistics shows that on public roads, when =
speeds=20
  rise, more people die in accidents than in low speed=20
accidents.</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01D03302.74AD4CD0--

--===============7707017305556652306==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7707017305556652306==--