Subject: Re: [Mgs] 54 TF ammeter question

From: Barney Gaylord via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 10:43:11 -0500

--===============0863346394640034334==
	boundary="=====================_301717140==.ALT"

--=====================_301717140==.ALT

I will guess that when you "switched" the two wires you actually 
reinstalled them the same as before.  Want to try it again?

At 03:24 PM 1/18/2015 +0000, dontoy--- via Mgs wrote:
>Dear listers,
>I have a 1954 TF which my father drove home from Pittsburgh in 1971. 
>After an electrical problem way back then the ammeter got fried, 
>along with damaging the temperature gauge. In an effort to go back 
>to original I sent both units out for restoration to MoMa. I 
>installed the temperature gauge first and it went up to 185* and 
>held it there. That made me smile. Then I installed the ammeter. 
>Since I had did the polarity switch (now a negative ground car) I 
>wasn't sure which wire went on which terminal. I just guessed and 
>put the brown with white on the left terminal, the solid brown on 
>the right.  Of course upon starting the car, the ammeter ran in the 
>negative side. 50% chance and I guessed wrong. So I thought. After 
>reversing the wires I got the same result. I know I'm charging since 
>I have never had a problem. I don't run a trickle charger and can 
>start the car anytime in go out into the garage, even after months. 
>Is this just one of the effects of switching the polarity or is 
>there something I'm missing. I was showing a charge on the 
>aftermarket unit that I was trying to replace. Ideas?
>Don Toy
>....

--=====================_301717140==.ALT
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<body>
I will guess that when you &quot;switched&quot; the two wires you
actually reinstalled them the same as before.&nbsp; Want to try it
again?<br><br>
<br>
At 03:24 PM 1/18/2015 +0000, dontoy--- via Mgs wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=3Dcite class=3Dcite cite=3D"">
<font face=3D"Helvetica, Helvetica">Dear listers, <br>
I have a 1954 TF which my father drove home from Pittsburgh in 1971.
After an electrical problem way back then the ammeter got fried, along
with damaging the temperature gauge. In an effort to go back to original
I sent both units out for restoration to MoMa. I installed the
temperature gauge first and it went up to 185* and held it there. That
made me smile. Then I installed the ammeter. Since I had did the polarity
switch (now a negative ground car) I wasn't sure which wire went on which
terminal. I just guessed and put the brown with white on the left
terminal, the solid brown on the right.&nbsp; Of course upon starting the
car, the ammeter ran in the negative side. 50% chance and I guessed
wrong. So I thought. After reversing the wires I got the same result. I
know I'm charging since I have never had a problem. I don't run a trickle
charger and can start the car anytime in go out into the garage, even
after months. Is this just one of the effects of switching the polarity
or is there something I'm missing. I was showing a charge on the
aftermarket unit that I was trying to replace. Ideas? <br>
Don Toy<br>
....</font></blockquote></body>
</html>

--=====================_301717140==.ALT--

--===============0863346394640034334==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============0863346394640034334==--

---

From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:50:46 -0000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============1211993035384570352==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0024_01D03336.8606D670"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0024_01D03336.8606D670
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Are you *sure* you reversed?  And didn't just put them back on the same =
terminals?  A typical ammeter and especially one used in a car of the =
era of the TF is a simple moving iron arrangement, in a coil with just =
two terminals.  Reverse the direction of the current in the coil and you =
reverse the magnetism, and hence the needle movement.  That's why =
ammeters work  - current flows one way to indicate a charge, and the =
other way to indicate a discharge.  Incidentally you could have done =
something else such that it was charging when you originally connected =
it, and now you have reversed it it isn't.  You need to confirm it *is* =
charging with a voltmeter.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: dontoy--- via Mgs=20
  To: [email-masked]=20
  Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2015 3:24 PM
  Subject: [Mgs] 54 TF ammeter question

  Dear listers,=20
  I have a 1954 TF which my father drove home from Pittsburgh in 1971. =
After an electrical problem way back then the ammeter got fried, along =
with damaging the temperature gauge. In an effort to go back to original =
I sent both units out for restoration to MoMa. I installed the =
temperature gauge first and it went up to 185* and held it there. That =
made me smile. Then I installed the ammeter. Since I had did the =
polarity switch (now a negative ground car) I wasn't sure which wire =
went on which terminal. I just guessed and put the brown with white on =
the left terminal, the solid brown on the right.  Of course upon =
starting the car, the ammeter ran in the negative side. 50% chance and I =
guessed wrong. So I thought. After reversing the wires I got the same =
result. I know I'm charging since I have never had a problem. I don't =
run a trickle charger and can start the car anytime in go out into the =
garage, even after months. Is this just one of the effects of switching =
the polarity or is there something I'm missing. I was showing a charge =
on the aftermarket unit that I was trying to replace. Ideas?=20
  Don Toy
  " all great men are dead... And I'm not feeling well"

  Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----

  [email-masked]
  Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
  Suggested annual donation  $12.75
  Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
  Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
  Unsubscribe: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_0024_01D03336.8606D670
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=EF=BB=BF<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Are you *sure* you reversed?&nbsp; And didn't just =
put them=20
back on the same terminals?&nbsp; A typical ammeter and especially one =
used in a=20
car of the era of the TF is a simple moving iron arrangement, in a coil =
with=20
just two terminals.&nbsp; Reverse the direction of the current in the =
coil=20
and&nbsp;you reverse the magnetism, and hence the needle movement.&nbsp; =
That's=20
why ammeters work&nbsp; - current flows one way to indicate a charge, =
and the=20
other way to indicate a discharge.&nbsp; Incidentally you could have =
done=20
something else such that it was charging when you originally connected =
it, and=20
now you have reversed it it isn't.&nbsp; You need to confirm it *is* =
charging=20
with a voltmeter.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=[email-masked] =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">dontoy--- via=20
  Mgs</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
  href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, January 18, 2015 =
3:24=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Mgs] 54 TF ammeter=20
  question</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=3DHelvetica>Dear listers, <BR>I have a 1954 =
TF which=20
  my father drove home from Pittsburgh in 1971. After an electrical =
problem way=20
  back then the ammeter got fried, along with damaging the temperature =
gauge. In=20
  an effort to go back to original I sent both units out for restoration =
to=20
  MoMa. I installed the temperature gauge first and it went up to 185* =
and held=20
  it there. That made me smile. Then I installed the ammeter. Since I =
had did=20
  the polarity switch (now a negative ground car) I wasn't sure which =
wire went=20
  on which terminal. I just guessed and put the brown with white on the =
left=20
  terminal, the solid brown on the right. &nbsp;Of course upon starting =
the car,=20
  the ammeter ran in the negative side. 50% chance and I guessed wrong. =
So I=20
  thought. After reversing the wires I got the same result. I know I'm =
charging=20
  since I have never had a problem. I don't run a trickle charger and =
can start=20
  the car anytime in go out into the garage, even after months. Is this =
just one=20
  of the effects of switching the polarity or is there something I'm =
missing. I=20
  was showing a charge on the aftermarket unit that I was trying to =
replace.=20
  Ideas? <BR>Don Toy<BR>" all great men are dead... And I'm not feeling=20
  well"<BR><BR>Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App</FONT>
  <P>
  <HR>

  =
<P></P>_______________________________________________<BR><BR>[email-masked]=
eam.net<BR>Donate:=20
  http://www.team.net/donate.html<BR>Suggested annual donation&nbsp;=20
  $12.75<BR>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<BR>Forums:=20
  http://www.team.net/forums<BR>Unsubscribe:=20
  =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]<BR><=
/BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0024_01D03336.8606D670--

--===============1211993035384570352==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1211993035384570352==--