Subject: [Mgs] BGT Resurrected

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 15:31:07 -0500

Thanks for the replies.  All I want to do is drive the car for fun running
errands, etc.  I figure the more reliable, the more I'll use it for
transportation. I got new valves because number two & three cylinders had weak
compression and the car backfired terribly. I suspected the valves needed
adjusted after so many (albeit not very many) miles, plus I had this miss or
sporadic cut-out of the engine.  The speedo reads 30k.  It has headers, later
model seats and the weber, so anything could have happened to the car in the
past.  The carb appeared to be requiring attention, so I cleaned it and
installed a K&N air filter.  The single carb mixture screws didn't seem too
difficult, either.  The car is solid and roadworthy.  The distributor is not
is the best condition, but I do have a Mallory Unilite that came with the car.
I understand that Lucas additives are beneficial to an engine's health and is
thicker than 20-50, so oil pressure could improve, plus internal parts (rings,
lifters, con-rods, bearings, etc.) might unstick and perform better. I
appreciate very much thoughts on this.  I intend to run it for some time and
adjust, test, and see how much I can tolerate before doing more complicated
work on the bearings, rings, etc.  I was having fun the way it was, simple
improvements will make me (& wife) happier rather than time consuming and
costly refinements. One thing I didn't mention initially was the clutch has a
fairly drastic shudder.  I have to keep RPMs up to avoid the shudder.  I
intend to bleed the slave cylinder to maybe help this.

Thanks again, Steve H.
'73 TR6
'72 MGB
'59 Morris Minor
'68 BGT
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 20:36:42 GMT

Hi Steve,  Keep us posted on the improvements you make.  Clutch judder can be
internal, but an obstruction in the slave-cylinder hose can cause slow,
erratic release, sometimes judder.   Less frequent with MGBs than T-series
cars, though still possible, clutch judder because the rear axle U-bolts are
loose.   That's a quick & easy check to perform.Bob
---------- Original Message ----------
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mgs] BGT Resurrected
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 15:31:07 -0500

transportation. I got new valves because number two & three cylinders had
weak
is the best condition, but I do have a Mallory Unilite that came with the
car.
thicker than 20-50, so oil pressure could improve, plus internal parts
(rings,

Thanks again, Steve H.
'73 TR6
'72 MGB
'59 Morris Minor
'68 BGT

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 11:13:39 -0000

Thicker isn't better, you are only kidding yourself with the higher oil 
pressure, all it means is that the flow rate of oil through the engine 
including the bearings has been reduced.  To clean the engine internally one 
would normally be thinking of a pre-change flush, which is a solvent and 
thins the oil.  However that can be counter-productive in an old engine of 
unknown history as it could dislodge lumps of gunge that then block oilways.

Your wet and dry figures indicate a problem with rings/bores on the one 
cylinder rather than valves, but it isn't horrendous.  Just drive it more, 
that does more good for these cars than anything else.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> lifters, con-rods, bearings, etc.) might unstick and perform better. 

[email-masked]