Subject: [Mgs] Difficulty Shifting into 1st and Reverse

From: "Ray Graham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 07:26:10 -0500

Folks,

I have been experiencing difficulty shifting my 1966 MGB into 1st and
Reverse gears.  Shifting into all other gears are fine, including down
shifting.  No hydraulic leaks, however, I replaced the brake master cylinder
yesterday, fully bled the system.  Didn't solve the problem.  Seems to be
worse the hotter the engine and longer it is driven.

Wonder if the small hose feeding the slave cylinder could be defective?

Appreciate the advice,

Ray

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:52:40 GMT

The hose is often a problem. While you are underneath the car, why not
rebuild the slave cylinder too. It can leak/bypass internally without leaking
fluid to the outside.   Problem can worsen when engine and gearbox are warm,
as the gears turn easier. If clutch is not releasing completely, its drag will
turn these unsynchronised gears faster when they are warm. Same problem; it's
just a bit worse when warm.   Check that the bleed screw is in the upper hole.
Hose and bleed screw will fit either hole, but hose should be in the lower
hole in order that an air bubble is not trapped.Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Ray Graham" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mgs] Difficulty Shifting into 1st and Reverse
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 07:26:10 -0500

Folks,

Appreciate the advice,

Ray

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 15:43:43 +0100

If it's grinding when going into reverse then it's the clutch failing to 
fully disengage, which could be hydraulics or mechanical, and that should 
always be the first test.

If it's grinding in reverse but in forward gears still engaging with the 
pedal at the normal position off the floor, then it's mechanical inside the 
bell-housing not hydraulic.  Hydraulic problems i.e. air in the system will 
make it engage lower.

If it's not grinding in reverse, just stiff to engage then it is mechanical 
with the gearbox.  Lift the lever boot and check the lever isn't fouling the 
sides of the hole in the tunnel.  If that's clear then it's do with the 
shift linkage or mechanism, unfortunately.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> Reverse gears. 

[email-masked]