Subject: [Mgs] Tires... Bah

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:41:56 -0700

Had a blowout on the freeway today, so I'm down one tire. There are several
annoying aspects to this.

1. Tread was fine on all 4, but now I am going to have to buy 4 new tires,
because...
2. ...this particular tire is no longer available (Sumitomo HTR 200).
3. Moreover, NO summer performance tire OF ANY BRAND is available in this
size (175/70R-14), so I can't even mix axles if I wanted to (IMO it would be
suicidal to mix summer hi-perf tires on one axle with an all-season tire on
the other, at the beginning of the rainy season, when I'm temporarily down
to one car).
4. The only tires available in 175/70-14 or 185/70-14 are all-season touring
tires (i.e. minivan/econobox tires).
 
Out of this extremely limited selection, does anyone have a recent
recommendation?

Treadwear is not a factor -- I don't think I've ever worn out a set of tires
on the MG. Old age or road hazards have killed them first.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires
And now GHN3U137949G
(not going anywhere anytime soon)
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:39:51 +0100

I think you are being over-cautious not wanting to mix axles (if you could 
get any, that is), particularly with rain.  As long as the ones with the 
best grip are on the rear you should be fine.  Over 40 years ago when I 
first changed from crossply to radial I couldn't afford four, and it was 
really frustrating to put a pair on the back then wait until I could afford 
another pair for the front to get the full benefit.  I'm surprised you don't 
have online specialists available to you.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:58:24 -0700

Hmm. The first time I hit a wet spot with these Sumitomos, I realized it was
a whole different ball game. The problem is that the "best grip" would
entirely depend on road conditions -- in a puddle, the "best grip" woud be
the all season tire, but as soon as they dried off, it would be the summer
tire. I don't think that would be a safe way to drive, unless I was just
tootling around at 10 under the limit like Mr. Magoo.

I can afford to buy four, I just hate to waste all that tread life, and I
got used to the dry road traction. Now I have to go back to a compromise,
just when it may never rain again around here.

My frustration with the all season tires is that when you read the reviews,
90% of the reviewers live in the snow belt, drive Subarus, and all they talk
about is snow and rain traction, or tread wear and road noise. That
information is not germane, so the reviews and ratings are basically
useless.

So, what are you people using? Vredestein Sprints? By the time I get them
shipped, they were running something like $150 apiece, IIRC.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 08:18:20 +0100

On a dry road the best grip would be slicks!  Road tyres are always a 
compromise, that is why we drive to the road conditions ... I hope, leaving 
Mr Magoo well behind wet or dry.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]