Subject: [Mgs] '72 MGB Starter Problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 11:31:20 -0400

Good Morning, MGers,

I just returned from an exciting spin to the local park
about five miles away.  My wife stepped out for a little while & I thought I'd
get a ride in before she returned and I could pretend I was doing lawn work
the whole time.  Once I was ready to return home, I didn't even get a click
from the solenoid.  I got kinda concerned.

I don't consider myself an expert
mechanic like many on this list, but I've owned LBCs for 30 years and that
gave me some confidence to just fix the problem.  I tried battery connections
first, then found the solenoid on the starter and jumped the two big bolts
with pliers, but just got a spin.

I did notice a white wire had broken from
the small spade terminal on the solenoid.  I thought:  that's the problem for
sure and removed the front wheel for better access!

Well, the car started
once the white wire was reconnected, but I was surprised by the continuous
operation of the starter.  I simply disconnected the white wire; the starter
stopped and I drove home.

It took me twenty minutes to do all this and I was
home maybe five minutes after my wife returned.  I felt good for two reasons:
I fixed the car and got home and my wife didn't know in the least.

Without
any research, I think the solenoid is sticking.  I think the starter and
solenoid is one unit and I'll have to replace it.  I do intend to try to
service the unit.

Any thoughts?   (I think I might be at the point where I
can help others on the list rather than always seeking help myself.)
Comments?

Thanks
Steve Hughes
Gainesville, FL
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]