Subject: [Mgs] Fuel starvation issues (or at least I think it is)

From: Aaron Whiteman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 13:40:52 -0700

The other day, driving home, I nearly didn't make it. Car would come to a
sputtering halt every time I had to climb a hill, then would come back to life
after I sat for a minute or so.

I checked fuel flow and found it lacking. Thinking it was the (aftermarket)
pump, I replaced it today with a new one. New pump is rated at 1-4PSI,
25gallons/hr. But I'm not seeing that. I'm still getting about 3 gallons an
hour (at the carbs). It took 2 and a half minutes to fill a 16oz cup. I've
verified that the fuel filter isn't clogged (I get the same flow without the
filter installed).

I'm assuming I've got debris somewhere. I'll check the outflow of the pump at
the pump soonish (I've got commitments in the next half hour, or I'd have
already done it). Obviously, if the flow is bad at the pump body, then the
problem is in the tank (or very nearly). But if I get good flow at the pump,
what's the best way to try to restore flow to the hard line. I don't see any
obvious kinks or damage. And if I get poor performance at the pump, just how
miserable is it to get the tank off and fixed?

--
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 11:46:02 GMT

If you find good flow at the pump outlet, try blowing out the fuel line from
pump to carbs with compressed air. Though it seems unlikely that the line has
something solid in it, blowing it to test is quick and easy.  Also check the
flex line from hard fuel pipe to the carb. They can peel internally, impeding
flow, yet not leak externally.Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Aaron Whiteman <[email-masked]>
To: "<[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mgs] Fuel starvation issues (or at least I think it is)
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 13:40:52 -0700

The other day, driving home, I nearly didn't make it. Car would come to a
sputtering halt every time I had to climb a hill, then would come back to
life
after I sat for a minute or so.

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Aaron Whiteman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 07:11:15 -0700

[email-masked]

---

From: Aaron Whiteman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 11:21:00 -0400 (EDT)

I don't know what it is, but every message I send to the list from my
Mac or iPhone get eaten by Mark's defang script. So I'm sending this
message old-school, using an ancient unix shell program. Hopefully it
works. The frustrating part is that only I know that the whole message
made it through.

When I last successfully wrote, I said I would check at the pump. I
did, and got 16oz in about a minute (7.5ga/hr) at the pump. That's not
great, but a lot better than the 2:30 it took to fill the same cup at
the carbs. I removed the rubber hose for the fuel filter/carbs and
blew out the line forward into a old water bottle... didn't see any
sediment of note, but once done, I got better numbers at the carb.
5ga/hr. I'm reasonably satisfied the fuel line isn't the problem.
FWIW, there was no difference is the fuel cap was on or off.

So I went ahead and took the suggestions to blow air backwards into
the tank (with the cap off!). That did it. I now fill a 16oz cup in
about 20 seconds. That's right close to the rated capacity of the
pump, so it's pretty clear I've got tank sediment.

I see moss sells a Canadian made (using US Steel) nickle-plated repro
tank that doesn't require prep or paint for less than $200 for 70-75
model years. I have a '75.  Anybody have experience with these tanks? 
At that price it might be  worth it to me to avoid the hassle of 
cleaning and reselling mine.

If you got this far, the whole message made it to you this time.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]