Subject: [Mgs] Spring from clutch pedal

From: "Douglas McKinnie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:58:32 -0400

Yesterday as I was driving along, I heard a "sprong" and was hit in the leg
by
some object that then flew across into the passenger footwell.

After pulling to the side and investigating, I found under the seat a spring
-- about two -inches long, the broken end of which was still attached to the
arm of the clutch pedal. An identical spring is attached to the brake pedal.

The clutch pedal seems perfectly springy without this spring. Do I need to be
concerned about driving without it? I'm commuting in the MGB-GT because both
of our modern Fords are off the road with electrical problems.

Douglas
Newly in Potsdam NY
'70 BGT
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:23:42 +0100

I would replace it when you can, or it will only be the springs in the 
clutch slave and the master that will be pushing the pedal back.  This could 
increase wear on the release bearing, and the pedal is likely to rattle up 
and down.  I've had two go boing on the same car in 55k, but not (so far!) 
in the other one over 100k.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:38:05 GMT

Commuting in the GT is better than commuting in the Fords. A suitable spring
is likely to be available at the local hardware store. I have bought a couple
there. Paul notes that of his is original and the others have lasted much
less. I have had the same experience.  The replacements seem to cut through
the loop that passes through the welded tab. When mine have broken, I made
another loop for them of some nondescript wire in the garage. Seems to work
fine. Cheap, too.Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Douglas McKinnie" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mgs] Spring from clutch pedal
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:58:32 -0400

Douglas
Newly in Potsdam NY
'70 BGT

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:51:38 -0700

I believe it is called an "anti-rattle spring" for this reason.

on 9/22/14 8:23 AM, PaulHunt73 at [email-masked] wrote:

> and the pedal is likely to rattle up and down

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]