Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor

From: "Truxtun Southworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 14:59:19 -0800 (PST)

If you like the dizzy rebuilt you should look into the cam shafts that Len
produces.IMHO they are the best available.B 
b
Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Richard Lindsay
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hey Gang,
> Today I got my TD's distributor back from Len Fanelli. He did a full
> rebuild for me. I haven't yet installed it in the TD's XPAG engine,
> but will do so in the next day, or three (chilly here). Thanks Lenny.
> More info when I have it.
> -rick
> ______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 17:02:52 -0600

That's what I have heard, Truxtun! Unfortunately (for Len), I don't
plan on turning my TD into a hotrod. I already have five of those. My
TD is just for puttering around. Glad he has a good product though -
and thank you for the endorsement.

-rick

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Truxtun Southworth
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> produces.
> IMHO they are the best available.
> 
<[email-masked]>
> wrote:

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 09:50:48 +0200 (IST) refid=tid=0001.0A0C0303.52C27759.0042, actions=TAG refid=str=0001.0A0C0205.52C27759.01A3, ss=1, re=0.000, recu=0.000, reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0, ip=192.115.83.5, so=2012-12-31 14:30:00, dmn=2013-03-21 17:37:32, mode=multiengine refid=str=0001.0A0C0205.52C27759.01A3, ss=1, re=0.000, recu=0.000, reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0, ip=192.115.83.5, so=2012-12-31 14:30:00, dmn=2013-03-21 17:37:32

I'm not convinced that the advent of black box solid state 
electronics will mark the end of the classic car era. Sure, 
the custom, manufacturer correct parts will become NLA, and 
these type of electronics are basically unserviceable once 
they go.
But consider just how much computing power you can get today 
in a form factor the size of, say, a phone, and compare that 
to what was possible even five years ago.  
It's not too far fetched to start to create a programmable 
aftermarket 'universal car computer'. All you would need to 
fabricate are the proper wiring connectors for your specific 
car. The computer would have programmable software modules for 
any automotive system that might be computer controlled (from 
ignition to entertainment, and everything in between), and you 
would update it with the software profile of your specific 
car.
Ideally, it would be open source and highly configurable, so 
that not only could you precisely match the specs of the 
original computer, but you could also customize as well - 
modify engine controls to better match a no-longer-stock 
engine, for example.

Even the really complex electronics of, say, a Hybrid Lexus, 
are just sensors and software in the end. Getting the 
manufacturers on board would help in creating the software 
profile for specific cars, but it wouldn't truly be necessary.
If the software was reasonably well designed, a basic 
understanding of the required functions should be enough to 
backwards engineer the programming for any given model. And of 
course, you only have to do each model once. Once somebody has 
figured it out, sharing the programming is as easy as 
downloading a file from the internet.

There will probably be a cottage industry of software mods as 
well, like the 'go-faster' chips you can buy in the magazines, 
only far more sophisticated and customizable.

Hmm, I think I may have just found my million-dollar-idea...

---- WWWWW"W WWW'WW(WW* ----
>W*WW(WW:B B  Mon, 30 Dec 2013 18:20:18 -0600
>WWW*:B B  Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>  
>W WW)W:B B  Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor  
>WW:B B  Paul Root <[email-masked]>
>W"WW*W':B B  "[email-masked] List" <[email-masked]>, "mg-
[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
>
>What a topic, Paul!
>
>I wonder which cars will be the classics of tomorrow - if 
any. We just
>had this discussion over on a Ferrari list. The general 
opinion is
>that the last Ferrari that will be a classic is the 328GTB or 
328GTS.
>Those are the last cars that have limited electronics in the 
fuel
>injection and ignition. After that, the cars use limited 
production
>unique computers.
>
>Consider this: If your Toyota computer fails, there are 
original AND
>aftermarket parts to repair it. That's because they sell 
MILLIONS. But
>what will one do when one gets in a limited production 360, 
458 (or
>similar) and presses the 'START' button ... and nothing 
happens?! You
>may just have discovered a really expensive parts car! Say it 
can't
>happen? Try to buy a simple MAF for a 1999 348GTS. Used ones 
go for
>over $600 and new ones are NLA. And the 348 uses TWO of these
>expensive little buggers!
>
>Perhaps I'm just old and grumpy but I just think the classic 
car hobby
>is to have only one future outcome: The classics get older 
and more
>costly, without replacements following them. In my 
discussions with
>brokers, the general opinion is to hold on to your classics 
because
>they're going to climb in value. Seven of my nine cars fit 
this
>definition! The other two are daily drivers...
>
>-rick
>
>> It's getting chilly up here in Minnesota too. So cold my 16 
year old actually wore a jacket to basketball practice.
>>
>> Tomorrow, high of -4F. He may even button the jacket up 
then.
>
>I didn't grow up in Houston so I understand! The confusion 
seems to
>abound. I like cold weather. I don't like to be cold. Folks 
here seem
>to assume that one is the same as the other. :-P
>
>Happy Monday! I'm now 63 years and one day old!
>
>-rick
>Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 11:20:20 -0600

very well said.  let's get together on this!  who knows linux?

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:50 AM 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor 

[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 11:35:44 -0600

>  who knows linux?

me

-rick

[email-masked]

---

From: "FrankK" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 14:58:10 -0500

Isn't that Charley Brown's dog? 

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:50 AM 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor 

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 17:06:53 -0600

Charlie Brown's best friend.  is he on TV tonite?

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:50 AM 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor 

[email-masked]