Subject: [Mgs] Alternate alternator for 71 MGB?

From: "Bob Donahue" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 20:20:56 -0500 s=q20121106; t=1384996810; bh=nIObFIuZEouVoFQxE+3Rmp3pd+tmcvdritNYWbO8Q3I=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=KlkJBakDoQQC/L85QFdv9YKMwzVdbs+AoMdzJTYYV2ikFjxzDHBTA20ZOlBN0Kttj z1w08pA/K2F9sKap1WAFKXq8KJtproUL21dnxeQOzVSMHpOeHjoHw7JFT0OmHG4gou nJMo5GiAymL6Ac2z6rI9vS98rPyJVuuksteZ4KQehpQY3aLVJtBs4l2slY5Y5St12m yIeexvfOQF0bGGjDC5a38QlAiOBFYFqWRVu7pw2uUZYWUlCA18QFT8rb6f3qI1nV1j /TUzZYQ8EM3mwrD2lMRSSJiy/WWjvs7n1t7XPeTX1qORCvIoE33dIRkc5AMJtu7J62 Re4Y21JFiKBEA==

Lucas joking aside, I have not had good luck with their alternators, and now I
need another. What are the non-Lucas alternatives? I'm more interested in ease
of installation than cost.

Bob Donahue (Still Stuck in the '50s)
Email - [email-masked]
Cars:       52 MGTD - #17639
               71 MGB - #GHN5UB254361
Member:  NEMGTR #11470
               NAMGBR # 7-3336
               Hoosier MGB Club
               Olde Octagons of Indiana
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:40:04 -0800

I am using a Bosch or Delco/Remy alternator sourced from a Ford Fiesta. I
believe this is a fairly common substitution. Uses the same block bracket
and belt, but I had to fab a new slotted adjuster bracket to get enough
range of adjustment (I suppose a shorter belt would have had the same
effect, but then I'd have had to remember THAT application). I was
converting from a generator, so YMMV.

1980 FORD FIESTA 1.6L 1598cc 98cid L4 2BBL OHV
REMY 13107
$43.99 + $5 core charge (in 2011)

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]