Subject: Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 78, Issue 22

From: Glenn Schnittke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:31:43 -0600

Mark,

If I recall *most* of the springs and pips at the end of the shaft are 
interchangeable between the marques, but don't hold me to that. It may 
boil down to the length of the spring. If you can find a used whole 
switch you can transfer the parts. I'd recommend against tapping it and 
going to a grub screw. That would be silly.

As far as the valve goes, I found a trick at the Chicagoland MG Club 
website about taking a new valve apart and adding a washer under a 
grommet and I did it and it helped considerably in a former car and 
never leaked. I don't remember the exact gag right now, but it does 
increase waterflow through the valve and did not leak when I was done. 
It does involve voiding the warranty.

At the start of winter and spring I change the setting on the heater 
switch from one side to the other and go to the valve and physically 
take it to the end of its travel and wire it into place. It ain't a 
Honda. Still doesn't do me any good. I still freeze my butt off on the 
way home from work all winter. In the summer I put the top down or top 
up and rear window zipped down. You can put your top down with a 
sawzall,  but putting it back up might be a job.

Glenn

On 11/25/2013 1:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:34:54 -0600
> From: Mark<[email-masked]>
> To: MG List<[email-masked]>
> Subject: [Mgs] Heater Air Control
> Message-ID:<[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Here is my first post regarding my recently acquired 67 BGT.  I was
> sorting out the heater air flow control mechanical switch this weekend
> and ran into a problem.  The spring on the shaft of the air control that
> holds the knob is missing.  Someone in the past had put a set screw in
> the plastic knob that fit poorly in hole in the shaft that held the
> detent.  The switch works but not well.  I see that the usual sources
> don't have the replacement switch and the plastic won't hold the set
> screw for long.  are there any good options to fix the shaft?  Maybe a
> replacement spring and detent?  I also have minimal flow of hot water
> through the heater core and have ordered a new heater control valve.  I
> need to flush the cooling system anyway so I will replace the valve when
> empty the radiator.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
> Nashville
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]