Subject: Re: [Mgs] The End of Car Culture

From: "Bob Holton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 18:21:50 -0400

Good on ya Norm, Thanks..

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Norm
Sent: October-28-13 3:35 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] The End of Car Culture

Despite what some on this list may think, the "Car Culture" we have grown up
with is NOT what it was.  It has morphed.  No more drag racing with American
cars from the '50's & '60's.  It's now cars from the '90's, etc.  They are
now from Japan, not Detroit.

The old guys with their '30's to '50's hot rods are getting older.  I was at
a gathering yesterday where the newest cars were from the '60's.  The owners
were from 40 to 80 years old.  How much longer do you think the 80-year-olds
will be driving?

As for the "Liberal east coast media and their pronouncements" spreading
fear of the dinouement of the car culture - remember it is the signature
philosophy of the conservative movement fostered by Gingrich to promote
"fear and anger."  That's what he based his political climb on, and that's
what the "Down-stream" conservative media promotes.  So, please keep
politics out of our Car Culture and get out there and PROMOTE LBC's and
other cool cars.

I started with drag racing and customs, went through many LBC's eventually
vintage racing a few, and am now, in my "old age," content with taking my
exotic or sports car to the track for an occasional "Driver Education"
session.  (Sebring was a blast!)

What can we do to foster more interest in old or "fun" cars?  Take the kids
in your neighborhood for a ride now & then. I've taken some out in my exotic
& they are in awe.  When I offer them the keys after they have been driving
safely for a while, they gain a new appreciation for our hobby and our cars.
When they start driving, tell their parents & them about the Tire Rack
"Street Survival" schools that clubs like the BMW CCA put on.  Take them to
a vintage race, or a car show.  Make cars exciting for them.  It is up to
ALL OF US to pass on our deep interest in cars.  Leave it to the general
media & it won't happen.  All they do is report on data.  And, that data
DOES show fewer, by percentage, driving and more waiting longer to get a
license.  Don't blame the media, blame too many people who are focused on
other things.  So, it's up to US to foster interest in our hobby.

Norm
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Murray Arundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 10:20:28 +1100

Interesting how people always say "let's keep politics off the list" then go
on to detail a particular political party's supposed manifesto.  If you want
to keep it out begin by not mentioning it at all... Just sayin that's all.

Murray Arundell
Brisbane Australia

Sent from my iPhone

> On 29 Oct 2013, at 9:21, "Bob Holton" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]