Subject: Re: [Mgs] ZB Magnette Gas Tank

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 08:34:50 +0100

Firstly I know nowt about Magnettes

But by the 'hex head bolt' do you mean the banjo union as here?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fLg6x6Q8Qk0/UdR7VQ9MbYI/AAAAAAAADIs/ecq6w4bKdGk/s640/2013-07-02+Magnette+gas+tank+refurbish+017+(640x480).jpg

I'd have said that must be sealed to the bolt and the tank as even if got as 
far as sucking fuel up from the bottom of the tank it would leak out of the 
union joints, so yes there should be gaskets (or maybe O-rings, later SU 
pumps have these).

What do you mean by running a wire down?  There has to be a tube going down 
from the union to the bottom of the tank or it won't pick up any fuel.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> There was nothing attached to the nut but I could see inside the top of 
> the
> tank just below the hex nut a matting that had a hole in it.  Ran a wire 
> down
> to the bottom of  tank... 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Just Brits Shop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 08:54:22 -0500

<< On 10/14/2013 5:52 PM, John Marcell wrote:
> Am I missing something?>>
John, I think we are all 'missing' something:  language/terminology -:)  
-:) ! !

Would/could you take a couple pictures ? ?  Identify each [by *.jpg #] with
your description ? ?  You may send to me (just hit "Reply All:" & delete 
List
Addy <G>] and I'll put up immediately for all ! !

This is most likely the best way for all of us to be "on same page" 
<VBG> ! ! !

Ed
Please visit MY site at:                    www.justbrits.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 12:14:25 -0400

John,

I've attached a picture from my parts manual.  It looks like it's the 
standard banjo with washers above and below, like at the 
carburetors.  The pickup tube itself is not shown.  I imagine it is a 
permanent internal part of the tank.  First thing I would do is make 
sure I have the banjo fitting correctly arranged with washers above 
and below.  Then I would rig something to be able to blow some air 
down the line, into the tank.  No major pressure.  Just mouth 
pressure should do it.  Open the tank filler and listen for 
bubbles.  If you hear bubbles, I would think everything is fine in 
the tank.  You can also try suction on the line, but I wouldn't do 
that by mouth.  If it fails these tests, then you have a problem 
inside the tank that I really don't know how to address, other than 
by replacing the tank.  I'm thinking that problems with the pickup 
inside the tank are unlikely.  I haven't looked inside a Magnette 
tank, but I have cut open an MGA tank.  Tank was perforated with 
rust, but the pickup looked good as new.

Of course, the other thing that would cause this symptom is being out 
of fuel.  You did check that, right?

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]

At 06:52 PM 10/14/2013, John Marcell wrote:
>Need some help.
>
>Ran across a rough RR track & fuel pump stopped picking up fuel.  first
>thought it was the pump but same problem with another one.  Took the hex head
>bolt off the top thinking it must have dropped the pick up tube.  nothing in
>manual about the tank.
>
>There was nothing attached to the nut but I could see inside the top of the
>tank just below the hex nut a matting that had a hole in it.  Ran a wire down
>to the bottom of  tank.  Is this the connection that mates up to the hex nut.
>There was no gasket between the two and that looks like it would suck air &
>not allow gas to feed up to te pump.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name of magnette fuel tank.jpg]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 12:17:54 -0400

OK, well, the list doesn't seem to want to let me attach the 
picture.  I've sent it directly to your email as well.

-Steve

At 12:14 PM 10/15/2013, Steven Trovato wrote:
>John,
>
>I've attached a picture from my parts manual.

[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 11:51:42 -0500

I put a hose into top of take where the banjo bolt mates up & got a mouth full
of fuel so there if fuel in tank.  I'm going to add more just in case there
was not enough when I stopped.  Fuel gauge showed 3/4 full & has always been
correct.  Turned key on today & it shows empty.
That bump sure made things go haywire.

Will have to wait till tomorrow & let everyone know results.

Was headed to a 3 day MG meet where we got 7 inches of rain.  Maybe the car
knew she didn't want to go!

Thanks

Phil

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 15, 2013, at 11:14 AM, Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
> I've attached a picture from my parts manual.  It looks like it's the
standard banjo with washers above and below, like at the carburetors.  The
pickup tube itself is not shown.  I imagine it is a permanent internal part of
the tank.  First thing I would do is make sure I have the banjo fitting
correctly arranged with washers above and below.  Then I would rig something
to be able to blow some air down the line, into the tank.  No major pressure.
Just mouth pressure should do it.  Open the tank filler and listen for
bubbles.  If you hear bubbles, I would think everything is fine in the tank.
You can also try suction on the line, but I wouldn't do that by mouth.  If it
fails these tests, then you have a problem inside the tank that I really don't
know how to address, other than by replacing the tank.  I'm thinking that
problems with the pickup inside the tank are unlikely.  I haven't looked
inside a Magnette tank, but I have cut open an MGA tank.  Tank was perforated
with rust, but the pickup looked good as new.
>
> Of course, the other thing that would cause this symptom is being out of
fuel.  You did check that, right?
the
down
> <magnette fuel tank.jpg>

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 12:57:35 -0400

Yuck.  That was what I was saying NOT to do.  Gasoline tastes 
terrible and it's not very good for you.  I'll look for your progress 
report tomorrow.

-Steve

At 12:51 PM 10/15/2013, [email-masked] wrote:
>I put a hose into top of take where the banjo bolt mates up & got a 
>mouth full of fuel so there if fuel in tank.

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 13:24:17 -0600

> Would/could you take a couple pictures ? ? Identify each [by *.jpg #] 
with your description?
 > You may send to me (just hit "Reply All:" & delete List Addy

There is also the MG forum at  http://www.team.net/forums for pictures.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: John Marcell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:33:38 -0500

Evidently the 1/2 gal i gave it wasn't enough.  added 3 gal & it picked up
fine.

Before I hit The RR Tracks gauge read 3/4 full,  after it it still showed 3/4.
After taking everything loose & sucking up some gas it showed Empty!   Need to
check if there there  Lucas somewhere in this circuit!!

Thanks everyone for help.

Phil

> But by the 'hex head bolt' do you mean the banjo union as here?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fLg6x6Q8Qk0/UdR7VQ9MbYI/AAAAAAAADIs/ecq6w4bKdGk/s64
0/2013-07-02+Magnette+gas+tank+refurbish+017+(640x480).jpg
far as sucking fuel up from the bottom of the tank it would leak out of the
union joints, so yes there should be gaskets (or maybe O-rings, later SU pumps
have these).
the
down

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 10:56:52 +0100

Tanks usually have a significant amount left that the pickup cannot ... pick 
up.  Sounds like the sender could be sticking.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]