Subject: Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 76, Issue 18

From: Glenn Schnittke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 19:27:50 -0500

The crank will fit. There was some reason I think the older slabside 
crank is a better design, but I can't think what it is right now. The 
only thing that changed, that I'm aware of,  was the shape of the 
counterweightsand I can't see how it would have been cheaperto retool 
for the angled onesso they must have had another reason. Less metal? New 
union steward?

Glenn

On 9/25/2013 1:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 00:38:44 -0500
> From:<[email-masked]>
> To:<[email-masked]>
> Subject: [Mgs] MGB crankshaft interchange
> Message-ID: <B8D821C997C24A2A899FB8351F277475@rileyPC>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>      I need to replace the crankshaft in the 18GB engine.
> Is there any reason the 18V crankshaft would not fit ?
>
> Can anybody help with info or direction ?
>
> Mr. Gaylord ?
>
> Thank You,
>
> Ron Sanborn
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 22:49:56 -0500

Glenn,

   You lost me with the "slabside" reference.  Want to tell me what that 
means?

I have a GB block and a 5-main crank that's std.  I had both a GB and a 
GV block and their lower ends.  AIR, I used the GV block and the GB 
crank with the offset GB rods in the engine I built for my present '69 
B.   I don't know now how to tell the later crank from the older one.  
It's PITA to geT old!

CR

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 00:25:30 -0500

>  I don't know now how to tell the later crank from the older one.  It's 
> PITA to geT old!

> for the angled onesso they must have had another reason. Less metal? New

The  MGB  GB/ GD/ GG/ ect. series crankshafts were cast  iron with two oil 
feed holes .
The 18V cranks were forged steel with only one oil feed hole.
The cast crank is considered superior because of this , but the later crank 
can have
the extra oil passages drilled.

Thanks to All for refreshing my failing memory and confirming my suspicions.
I dug into my organized storage (piles of parts) and found several 
candidates for replacement.
Please keep the thread going as I found little about cranks in the archives.

Ron Sanborn

[email-masked]