Subject: [Mgs] Dead in the water

From: Monte Jane Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 15:41:28 -0500

The 79B (with points and HIF's) had to be trailered 4 miles home today:(.

I noticed when I started it to go to town that the ignition light didn't
come on, but it started fine and I figured the bulb was out. It ran great
the 8 miles to town. Shut it off and ran into the store for 10 minutes and
it wouldn't start. It cranked once or twice and then no sounds but the door
buzzer and the electric fans. All gauges were working; again NO ignition
light. I pushed it to get it started and it started to miss a little, then
after 4 miles it started missing a lot and then died completely. The door
buzzer and the electric fans still worked, but not even a click from the
starter. I checked coil, alternator, and dizzy connections as well as the
fan belt and they seem OK.

We're leaving in the morning and will be gone until November, so I won't
have time to work on it now; not even check to see if the battery is good.
We're frantically packing:)  But I thought I'd appeal to the knowledge of
the list while the symptoms are fresh in my mind. Ideas? Alternator? Would
a dead alt causing it to miss before dieing? Thanks.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 08:35:56 +0100

Sounds like it wasn't charging so the battery is flat.  Could just be the 
plug fallen out, I've never known an ignition warning light bulb fail.  Even 
when they are disconnected in my experience a used alt will start to charge 
when revved to 2-3000rpm or so, then charge normally down to the usual 
600rpm or so, a useful 'get you home' feature when the problem is a 
disconnection in the warning light circuit.

Get it started with a battery pack and measure the voltage on the brown at 
the fusebox with it running at 2000rpm or so and you should see about 14.5v. 
If you have removed the battery pack and yours does happen to be charging 
and it was the battery flat for some reason it will probably be lower while 
it charges your battery.  If you only see about 12.5v then it isn't 
charging.  In which case check the voltage on the brown and brown/yellow 
(ignition on) at the alternator plug.  You should see battery voltage on 
both, if so it is almost certainly the alternator that has failed.  As a 
final check you can earth the brown/yellow (be careful NOT to earth the 
brown!) and check the warning light glows, ignition on.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> come on,... 

[email-masked]