Subject: [Mgs] New No-Name Dipper Switch may burn your wiring harness

From: Barney Gaylord <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 19:12:50 -0500

Heads up to a faulty new part with possible serious 
consequences.   Some new no-name dipper switches have an internal 
fault that will short power to ground when depressed.  If held in the 
depressed position it could burn up your main wiring harness. The 
part is widely used on many brands of British cars, especially in the 
1950 to 1965 production period.

The switch is patterned after Lucas type FS22. but it is not a Lucas 
part.  It is a replacement part for BMC part number 1G2007.  Known 
bad parts came from Moss Motors (171-900) and Scarborough 
Faire.  They have been notified.  Moss has placed a stop on sales of 
the part pending investigation.

If you have one of these no-name dipper switches, use a continuity 
tester or ohm meter to check resistance from the center input 
terminal to the housing when the switch is depressed.  Check it 
through at least two switching cycles, because it only shorts on 
every second cycle of the switch.  If you have one of the switches 
that has this ground fault, please let me know, and also the name of 
the supplier if possible.

For pictures and more information see here: 
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/faulty/ft063.htm

Best cautious regards,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]