Subject: [Mgs] Goodbye Peter Egan

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 15:59:18 -0400

Shall we observe a moment of silence on this list for the retirement of Peter
Egan from his Side Glances column in Road & Track?  He has been a source of
enjoyment especially for British car ownerts for as long as I remember.
Frank Krajewski
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 13:24:04 -0700

Really? He has been my favorite part of the magazine for many years. I'll
miss his column, and his road trip features.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 09:41:16 -0700

I was skeptical when R&T moved to Detroit and completely revamped the layout
and features -- I too thought they had gone terminally trendy. But actually,
now that I'm used to the look, I think it's a better magazine now than it
was a couple of years ago, when it seemed pretty tired. Egan will be sorely
missed, however.

It was sad when they stopped covering F1, but really, with their lead times,
it was ancient history by the time it was published, and couldn't compete in
the age of live Speedvision and streaming web video. I wish I could find
that level of in-depth insider reporting somewhere, though -- F1 websites
seem to be all gossip, snarkiness, and uninformative driver interviews. It
was a remarkable circumstance to have an actual team owner (Walker) -- and
one who knew absolutely everybody -- providing candid race reports. We'll
never see that again.

I couldn't stand C&D after the mid-seventies -- the cigar-chomping machismo
attitude was so juvenile. Even Car Craft ("Loud. Fast. Real.") is more
tolerable.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 9/4/13 6:42 AM, [email-masked] at [email-masked] wrote:

> He was the only reason I maintained my subscription and now I have let it
> expire.  Lately it has tried  to get too trendy and appeal to a younger
> crowd which leaves me out!
> Frank Krajewski
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Paul Root" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "MG List" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 7:39 PM
> Subject: Re: [Mgs] Goodbye Peter Egan
> 
> 
>> Oh horrible news.
>> 
>> Unfortunately, I dropped my subscription to R&T years ago. To me, there
>> was nothing worth reading other than Peter.
>> 
>> Sent from my iPad
>> 
>> On Sep 3, 2013, at 2:59 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 

[email-masked]