Subject: [Mgs] Replacement Keys

From: Andrew Lundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 13:51:27 -0600

The '78 B I just bought came with one set of keys and a story.

The guy who was keeping the car for the guy I bought the car from lost 
the keys.

They called in a lock smith some time ago to make a replacement set.  He 
didn't have the correct blanks.  Rather than order them, he made some 
out of what he had lying about that could be wiggled about into the locks.

I want to get the correct keys now, but am not sure where the lock 
series numbers are located.

Do I pull the cowl off to get to the number off the lock, or is it 
someplace else?

I can see the pattern well enough by looking at the key I have, but as 
it is a jimmied (my apologies to any Jim's out there) key, I am not 
really positive the key will be any better than the one I have.

 From Mosses page here:

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=30369&SortOrder=50

It looks like an FS to me...

Thanks!

--
Andrew
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 13:01:52 -0700

Seems plausible -- that profile matches my set. But it's not like you have
to be too accurate. My 66 MGB came with three keys -- glovebox, gas cap,
trunk -- all three of which work in the ignition. None of these unlock the
doors, however.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires

[email-masked]

---

From: "Douglas McKinnie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 19:52:52 -0400

You probably know this already, but many MGB's still have a copy of the
original key bolted to the passenger side fender well inside the engine
compartment.

Douglas McKinnie
'70 BGT

[email-masked]