Subject: [Mgs] MG2013 - Oregon

From: "David Councill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 12:31:45 -0700

The odds are fairly good that I will attend the MG2013 car show in Oregon as
I am now moving to the adjacent state of Washington and will only be maybe
450 miles away. I have a few questions but I need to put in a bit of context
first. I have owned several MGBs and MGBGTs almost continuously over the
past 37 years. They have proven to be economical and fun vehicles to drive.
On the car show side, I have had some limited exposure. I attended the
Colorado Conclave British car show once about 10-12 years ago and have been
to the Portland (Oregon) British Field Meet twice over the past five years,
all as an observer (and to buy car parts). I have never put a car in a car
show, although people have asked me about it - my cars have always been to
drive. Technically, there isn't anything really show worthy about them, they
are mostly kept original and not necessarily pretty. As this is a NAMGBR
event, I would guess that there could be hundreds  (??) of cars, all MGBs
(GTs and Midgets?). I am looking for some insights from those who have been
to these events in the past relative to some of my many questions below?

What would be included in the $100 registration besides 1 car and two
people? Is there a charge just for observers? (I ask because at the Portland
meet, there is a charge for attendees such that I am probably better off
going in with a car plus two - me and my son).

When are the swap meet events typically held since I'd mostly be looking for
parts?

And I have noticed that some people sell or try to sell their cars at these
meets. Would MG2013 be a good place to sell a car to get a good sell price?
This I ask because I am moving into a smaller house/lot in Washington since
my kids have grown up and left. I have 3 MGs currently plus my son has 2 for
restoration so I am thinking about thinning it out a bit. In particular, I
have a 1967 BGT mostly original including very faded paint, restored
interior, strong original engine/drive train that I have been thinking of
selling (but may change my mind). It is hard to say its value using the
recently posted link from Don but if I could get at least $3500 USD for it,
I'd probably sell it right away, but the lower the price under that, the
greater the reluctance to part with it. I just have too many cars right now,
it is hard to truly enjoy all of them although that will change when I am a
bit further away from where I work.

David Councill

64 B

67 BGT

72 B

01 Land Rover Discovery II
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: David Breneman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 14:28:18 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 5/25/13, David Councill <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 450 miles away. I have a few questions...

I've got a question - when and where is it?

First I've heard of it.

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 09:46:50 -0700

Read the event literature or web site to see what is provided for the
registration fee. Based on past events, this probably includes a t-shirt and
other tchotkes, a tour or road run of some kind, and a dinner or BBQ. It's
not $100 for just a one-day show entry.

British car meets always include a range of cars from survivors, drivers and
barn finds to concours contenders, and the participants have a similar range
of interests. Yes, there are people who are only interested in "pefect"
cars, but there are plenty of people who aren't comfortable talking about
concours points, but are willing to swap breakdown yarns and family
histories.

This is the national meet for one of the two nationwide MGB organizations
(why we need two is another question), so I would expect a good turnout from
the west coast, at least. It would probably be a very good place to show a
car for sale.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires

[email-masked]