Subject: [Mgs] Refinishing the diff.

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 12:43:12 -0500

Hello Friends,

Yesterday I commented that my quest for this morning was to clean more
of the rear axle and the diff.  That plan went well, leaving the
garage AND me uber-messy.  Allow me to share a few pictures.

Here's how the rear of the diff looked when I started.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130530_161508.jpg

Here's how it looks today.  Notice the brake fluid 3-way fitting.  It
has been cleaned, inside and out, polished and clear-coated.  Its
awaiting the new flex line and the hard lines out to the wheel
cylinders.  The flex is in hand, the hard lines will be here Tuesday.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130531_113303.jpg

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130531_113312.jpg

Once the paint dries, I'll drain the diff. fluid and replace it with
fresh, new Redline 90 weight hypoid oil.  (Yes, I have learned the
hard way; ALWAYS verify that the filler port can be opened BEFORE
draining the oil!)

And as I worked on the pumpkin, I realized that I couldn't complete
this work properly without cleaning up the U-joint too.  Here's how it
looked when I started.  That's A LOT of grimy grease!

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130530_161527.jpg

Here's a look after degreasing and refinishing.  I'll finish the prop
shaft later.  I'll also pump new grease into the U-joint once the
paint dries.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130531_120351.jpg

I'm debating whether to clean up the front U-joint and expansion slide
now or refurbish it later when I pull the gearbox.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130530_161518.jpg

I think I'll wait.  Either way, I now have to clean up the garage!!!

-rick
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]