Subject: [Mgs] A little TD work

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 10:03:13 -0500

Hi Friends, and good morning,

Here's a picture of the now repaired and refinished middle access
board from over the TD's differential.  The old holes have been
plugged, the new ones drilled, countersunk, and the the final coat of
semi-gloss black paint is drying.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1291.JPG

When I make the changes on the mount location, I'll post some more pictures.

And just for fun, here's a picture of a pile of assorted rusty bolts -
some to be reused, some to be archived, and a few trashed!

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1290.JPG

Following that, here are a couple more pictures, just for
documentation, as the engine tear-down begins.  These are taken
specifically to answer some of the niggling questions upon reassembly.
 For example; Which way did the bolt go in?  Which end had the
lockwasher? etc..  That said, it is a mistake to believe without
question, that the way an old car is assembled TODAY is the the way
the mechanics assembled it 60 years ago!  These kinds of pictures and
exploded views in the workshop and parts manuals (and of course, the
MG-T List) should all be used together! :-)

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1293.JPG

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1292.JPG

One area needing attention is the fan spacer.  It is broken and a new
piece from Moss will be ordered as soon as I have all the engine parts
needs in hand.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130517_101329.jpg

Here's a picture of the fan blades with the rusty metal primer drying.
 Yes, they were rusty but I cleaned away all the rust.  Still, rust
makes pits and this primer is better for that situation.  I also
straightened both blades where they were a bit distorted, probably by
impact with something.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130517_094605.jpg

I painted the fan blades with gloss black engine paint.  And as I have
said before, 'gloss' paint from a spray can dries to the desired
semi-gloss.

And while the paint was drying, I repaired more wood and screw holes.
Cracks in the wood where over-sized screws were used by some PO, are
repaired.  Once fully dry, the toothpicks are cut off and proper screw
holes will be drilled.   BTW, MinWax brand wood hardener does a nice
job of strengthening the body timbers - especially where screw holes
are drilled.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130517_092008.jpg

That's it for this morning.  This work was done yesterday.  Today,
I'll get a little more time working on the old boy.

-rick
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]