Subject: [Mgs] float & aircare

From: "Aubrey Schneider" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 19:07:01 -0700

Hello all,

Have been floating in the background for a while, after being off for a long
time. The site seems to have changed but maybe there is still someone who can
help this OF.

In British Columbia, Canada, we have to go thru' what is known as AirCare,
much the same as smog testing. To get my
75 B thru' I have to get the carb ( Stromberg ) lean enough to pass. Besides
adjusting the mixture on the carb to lean it out, does the float have any
significant adjustments to assist in achieving the lean mixture.

Also, once I have passed the test ( holding thumbs ) what do I have to do to
bring up the performance to where it should be. I have had the vehicle looked
at & worked upon by 3 different dealers & now it seems all over the place. The
dist is now 5 BTDC.

Thanks in advance.

Aubrey

75 B
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Aubrey Schneider" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 21:01:55 -0700

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Aubrey Schneider" <[email-masked]>
To: "mg list" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:07 PM
Subject: [Mgs] float & aircare

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 12:06:44 GMT

In mid 1980s, I had a 1975 MGB with the Stromberg, but no catalyst.
   For it to pass emissions testing in Connecticut required careful tweaking.
The settings on the label did not suffice.
   Bob Wanta, a name that may be remembered by some long- time readers, would
poke the sensor of his tester into the tailpipe and work with mixture and
timing until emissions were barely within emissions requirements.
   Then ,with bonnet propped open several inches for additional cooling, I
would drive gently to the testing station. There, if waiting in line, it was
necessary to shut the engine off and on to keep its coolant temp about where
it was when Wanta got it within specs.   Hotter or cooler, it was out of
spec.
   Once through the test, it was a gentle drive back to the shop to adjust so
engine would run properly. The mixture was very lean, and the spark plugs
would show it. Wanta also told me to fill with 91 or 93 octane fuel the two
tanks before testing.
   You might find that the label specs do not get your engine to pass either.
Try his method, and good luck.
Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Aubrey Schneider" <[email-masked]>
To: "mg list" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mgs] Fw:  float & aircare
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 21:01:55 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aubrey Schneider" <[email-masked]>
To: "mg list" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:07 PM
Subject: [Mgs] float & aircare

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Dan DiBiase <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 05:08:54 -0700 (PDT)

John Twist has a publication on tuning the Z-S carb - might want to check that
out....
http://www.sterlingbritishmotoringsociety.org/files/zenith%20stromberg%20tech
%20tips.pdf

Dan D
'76B
'65B
Central NJ USA
________________________________
 From: Aubrey Schneider <[email-masked]>
To: mg list <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 12:01 AM
Subject:
[Mgs] Fw:  float & aircare

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Aubrey
Schneider" <[email-masked]>
To: "mg list" <[email-masked]>
Sent:
Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:07 PM
Subject: [Mgs] float & aircare

> Hello all,
>
> Have been floating in the background for a while, after being off for a 
>
long
> time. The site seems to have changed but maybe there is still someone
who 
> can
75 B thru' I have to get the carb ( Stromberg ) lean enough to pass. 
Besides
> Also, once I have passed the test ( holding thumbs ) what do I have to do 
>
to
> bring up the performance to where it should be. I have had the vehicle 
>
looked
> at & worked upon by 3 different dealers & now it seems all over the
place. 
> The

[email-masked]
Donate:
Archive:
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Schauss, Peter (ESS)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 12:55:53 +0000

Aubrey,

On my 1980 B, once I had a working catalytic converter, the car had no
problems passing the New York tailpipe (idle) emissions test.  A few years
after I bought the car, I replaced the Zenith-Stromberg carb with two HS-4s
and spliced an aftermarket catalyst into the exhaust system between the head
pipe and the front muffler. I always tuned the carburetors for best idle and
emissions were always within spec.

Is your air pump connected?

Do you know that your catalyst is good?  Shortly after I bought my car I
discovered that one of the previous owners had removed the guts of my catalyst
in addition to disconnecting the air pump.

Fortunately, New York does not require an emissions test for cars over 25
years old so I do not have to worry about this now.

HTH,
Peter Schauss

-----Original Message-----

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 19:07:01 -0700
From: "Aubrey Schneider" <[email-masked]>
To: "mg list" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mgs] float & aircare

Hello all,

Also, once I have passed the test ( holding thumbs ) what do I have to do to
bring up the performance to where it should be. I have had the vehicle looked
at & worked upon by 3 different dealers & now it seems all over the place.
The
dist is now 5 BTDC.

Thanks in advance.

Aubrey

75 B

[email-masked]

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 08:50:30 -0500

<< On 5/24/2013 7:06 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

  Wanta also told me to fill with 91 or 93 octane fuel the two tanks before testing. >>

ABSOLUTELY ! ! !   Over the years and because somebody told me <G> I have told Customers
(after leaning carb out approx = between running great and hardly running - LOL -) to fill-up
with SHELL (only) Hi-test and go drive about 170 miles south and fill up with SHELL (ONLY) Hi-test and come back;  re-fill & do same drive & then go directly to Testing Station & get tested.  "If" car fails
(which has proved to be in serious minority <G>) go around block and lean-out further and return to Station.
Cars have NOT failed after the foregoing <G> <G> <G> ! ! !

I have had ONE (1) Customer that "knew better" and used Amoco Hi-test and did above then FAILED.
He did the "further lean out" to the point car would hardly run and barely made it into Test Lane;
he STILL FAILED ! ! !

He did the above Shell + drives and PASSED <VBG> ! ! !   He stopped by later same day and told me
"PLEASE go ahead and say 'I TOLD YOU SO' ".  We had a great laugh ! ! !

AND  << On 5/24/2013 7:55 AM, Schauss, Peter (ESS) wrote:
Shortly after I bought my car I discovered that one of the previous owners had removed the guts of
my catalyst ....>>

Common 'operation' around here.  Easier to just replace with "Test Pipe" (see Moss Catalog <G>) as long
as 'visual' doesn't count <VBG> !  Additional benefit is dissipation of exhaust heat ! ! !  Empty cats RETAIN
*HEAT* (read CHERRY RED & directly under carb <F>) ! ! !

Also, be SURE you have some sort of Heat Shield;  even if you have to make one (roofing flashing tin
works GREAT <G>),

Ed
Please visit MY site at:					www.justbrits.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Eugene Balinski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 12:35:41 -0400

Has anyone on the list actually used this procedure to tune
their Z-S carb ?   If so, how did it go ? 

This is the same technique as published in the Moss
catalog.  I wish John Twist had made a video of it.

Gene
80 B

On Fri, 24 May 2013 05:08:54 -0700 (PDT)
> > adjusting the mixture on the carb to lean it out, does
> the float
> have any
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
> http://www.team.net/donate.html
> http://www.team.net/archive
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Web mail provided by NuNet, Inc. The Premier National provider.
http://www.nni.com/
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 09:52:14 -0700

I'm glad Shell seems to work for you in your area. But here in Northern
California, the Chevron refinery sells gasoline to all the stations, so it
doesn't matter whose name is on the sign. It all has 10% ethanol, anyway,
and tops out at 91.

All things considered, it saves a lot of hassle to own a 74 or older MG in
California, and avoid the whole smog test rigmarole. I like to think one
gets a "purer" MG experience, also.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires

on 5/24/13 6:50 AM, [email-masked] at [email-masked] wrote:

> with SHELL (only) Hi-test and go drive about 170 miles south and fill up with
> SHELL (ONLY) Hi-test and come back;  re-fill & do same drive & then go
> directly to Testing Station & get tested.  "If" car fails

[email-masked]