Subject: Re: [Mgs] Floating axle hub seals leaking

From: Dan DiBiase <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 03:59:41 -0700 (PDT)

Maybe the brake cylinders anyway...... Hate to see them leak and ruin the new
shoes.... Especially if you don't know how old they are.

Dan D
'76B
'65B
Central NJ USA

________________________________
 From: Andrew B. Lundgren
<[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> 
Sent:
Monday, May 20, 2013 11:41 PM
Subject: [Mgs] Floating axle hub seals leaking
While investigating the rear brakes on my new to me '78 B, I discovered 
that
the rear castle nuts are loose (finger tight would be an 
overstatement...)
and that oil has leaked out onto the shoes.

One of the screws holding the
drum on was missing, two were stripped so 
badly that if they had been
tightened at all then I would have had to 
drill them out and the last screw
as damaged, though much less. One 
rebound strap is also torn out.

The drums
look like they are in good shape and the brake pistons expand 
without issue.
I am expecting to replace the seals, the drum screws, the shoes and the
rebound straps.  I am also considering doing the rear bearing since I am 
in
there anyway.  Anything else I should do while I have it open?

--
Andrew
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate:
Archive:
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 12:47:09 +0100

If you mean the rear hub nuts they are supposed to be 150 ft lb!  I wouldn't 
replace the bearings unless they need it, they really need to be pressed off 
and back on again, a much bigger job than replacing the oils seal.  If you 
do replace the bearings then grease them prior to installation, even though 
they run in axle oil.

Check the collar that the oil seal rides on, if that shows any damage i.e. 
grooving they will need to be replaced.

The drum screws are only there to stop the drums falling off before the 
wheels are fitted, the stud wheels hold the drums in the correct position 
anyway.  I always slacken mine by a quarter-turn when refitting to stop them 
seizing.

Rebound straps are very iffy, nothing more than elastic bands from most 
places as they have no reinforcing.  If you are lucky they will stretch 
until the axle is hanging on the dampers (assuming you have the dampers 
fitted ...) but often they simply snap the first time they are asked to take 
the weight of the axle.  Some time ago Moss US reckoned to have sourced 
correct straps and a test rig to check them, but I've not heard anything 
more about that.  I've reinforced mine with parcel strapping, but there are 
braided ones available from Strapping Lad, although I've been told his 
response to emails is iffy.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> that the rear castle nuts are loose (finger tight would be an 
> overstatement...) and that oil has leaked out onto the shoes.
> ... 

[email-masked]