Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA generator bracket failure

From: Barney Gaylord <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 22:19:25 -0500

If it was an aluminum body water pump that failure is common.  I 
broke two of those myself in 1997.  Kind of suprised the rear bracket 
broke.  If it was an iron body water pump I'm way more suprised, as I 
have never heard of one of those breaking like that.

At 05:48 PM 5/12/2013 -0500, Robert J. Guinness wrote:
>My MGA 1600 seemed to be overheating a bit more than usual at stop
>lights.  So I opened the bonnet and lo and behold  -- both the water
>pump and rear brackets to the generator had sheared off.  What could
>cause this?  Do I need to (or should I) replace the water pump or can it
>be welded (after removal)?
>....
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 21:49:03 -0500

When I ran a repair shop the most common cause for this failure was that 
the belt pulleys didn't run in the same plane.  Careful attention has to 
be paid to ensuring that the pulley are aligned and not cocked.

CR

[email-masked]