Subject: Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 70, Issue 22

From: Glenn Schnittke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 23:54:28 -0500

Could possibly have saved MG... What's more important here?

On 3/26/2013 1:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> From: Murray Arundell<[email-masked]>
> To: "David F. Darby"<[email-masked]>
> Cc: 'MG List'<[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [Mgs] Stupid movie coming up
> Message-ID:<[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> 11 Triumph Stags would have definitely saved the planet....
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Glenn Schnittke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 00:20:55 -0500

It also tallies with the two wrecks I've been in with B's. The first one 
I rear-ended at forty mph a full sized Buick at a dead stop after the 
guy between us swerved to reveal him. (My fault, I admit) I walked away 
without injury and no one else was hurt, thankfully. I was actually able 
to re-use some of the front suspension bits and the engine survived.

In the other *I* was rear ended, at a dead stop waiting for a light, by 
a kid with a cell phone but no insurance or skid marks at about 35 or 40 
mph. I limped away but didn't require a hospital visit. I'm still using 
the rear end, prop shaft and transmission from that car. And the engine 
is in the bay waiting a rebuild.

And they were both roadsters. Sturdy little cars. I have a suspicion 
that the rust formed crush zones that Sid or the factory hadn't thought 
about.

The other thing I noticed in the photos was WOW, what a slick way to do 
a paint job!

Think about it - do the smoothing, and apply a polymer plastic film that 
has an underlayment of POR-15 to stop the rust! And that's only for the 
first layer! You could have rip-off colors!

Glenn "Too old to see it through" Schnittke

On 3/26/2013 1:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> From: "PaulHunt73"<[email-masked]>
> To: "Hans Duinhoven"<[email-masked]>,<[email-masked]>
> Message-ID:<1F82BDA202744500B6A73333BE764F17@paul>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> 	reply-type=original
>
> The thing that struck me was the relatively small amount of damage, which
> tallies with the crash-tests of the day.  This car, however, is probably
> more than 40 years old and in poor condition externally at least.
> Originally the tests were 30mph square on to a concrete block.  Hitting the
> front of lorry I would have expected the chassis rails to go under the
> bumper and the damage to extend a lot further back on the upper parts of the
> car.
>
> PaulH.

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 02:16:49 -0500

It's all in your point of view.  To the film makers it's just a prop.

CR

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 06:54:15 -0500

My guess is that that film doesn't even make a good 10 foot car.

I did kind of like the look without the chrome strip.

On Mar 27, 2013, at 12:20 AM, Glenn Schnittke wrote:

>
> The other thing I noticed in the photos was WOW, what a slick way to do a
paint job!
>
> Think about it - do the smoothing, and apply a polymer plastic film that has
an underlayment of POR-15 to stop the rust! And that's only for the first
layer! You could have rip-off colors!

[email-masked]