Subject: Re: [Mgs] Another 74 MGB starter-related question

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 09:04:40 -0000

Yes.

----- Original Message ----- 
> What role does the white/brown wire play? Is it responsible for activating 
> the
> starter solenoid?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 09:27:02 -0000

It could be, but if you can hear the click of the solenoid operating then 
no.  However a 74 has a starter relay which clicks as well, albeit a lot 
quieter than the solenoid, so you need to be sure which you can hear.  If 
it's the solenoid then the problem is as described earlier i.e. it is either 
the solenoid contacts or the motor itself.  Some starters have a copper link 
between the two which allows you to test with a meter for voltage, no 
voltage means it is the solenoid, 12v means it is the motor.

If it is the relay you can hear then it could be that connection, but it 
could also be the relay contacts, solenoid winding, or any of the other 
connections around them, you would need to test at various points with a 
voltmeter.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

So, if its connection is dodgy, could it be possible that the solenoid is 
not getting fully activated, causing a no-start condition?

On Mar 21, 2013, at 5:04 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:

>> What role does the white/brown wire play? Is it responsible for 
>> activating the
>> starter solenoid?

[email-masked]