Subject: [Mgs] Spurned an offer

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 16:12:59 -0700

Driving through Hayward today, a Buick full of people pulls up beside my
MGB. I could see they were pointing, then a guy leans out the back window
and asks "Hey, you wanna sell your car?"

I shook my head, and mumbled "No, thanks, my project, you know..."

But afterward, I was thinking, if someone really wants to give me money for
it, I should take it. But then I thought, no, I couldn't in conscience sell
it to someone that would put 20-inch rims on it.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 19:31:37 -0500

I had a guy stop behind me when I had broken down. I thought to help. He
was just fishing to buy the car from a frustrated owner. I told him that
everything is for sale, but the buyer might not like the price. That got
him to leave.

It was just a frayed wire in the dizzy. My son found it. We were back on
the road in no time after the guy left and we could concentrate on the car.
 On Mar 16, 2013 6:13 PM, "Max Heim" <[email-masked]> wrote:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 0:48:37 +0000

I am appreciative when I drive my MG and someone not only says "nice car, yada, yada, yada" but also inquires about "buying"  I've had this one around 30 years but when I sell it I don't care what they change, modify or alter.  And if it stopped running and broke down, unlike Paul, cash would be king. Fortunately, mine does not break down (yet) Mel
-
--- Paul Root <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 20:48:46 -0400

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 16:58:31 +0000 (UTC)

My father drove my TF home from Pittsburgh in 1971 for $1750. The TF was the thing that bonded my father and I. He golfed and played cards. I never did get bit by the golf bug. We sure did enjoy our wrench turning sessions in the garage. I can't imagine any circumstances that would cause me to sell the MG, his spirit lives there. It lives in all the bodges that I still work to undo, it lives in the Moss red vinyl interior he installed. People used to inquire about me selling. No one has for years. I think they can tell. Might have something to do with the shit eating grin I'm sporting while behind the wheel. 

Donald J. Toy 
"all great men are dead...and I'm not feeling well" 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:26:02 -0700

Maybe I should have included a little context.

Back when my MG actually looked nice, yeah, I was flattered when people
wanted to buy it. Probably some of them were sincere. But I really suspect
they would have backed off after closer inspection.

But now that it's in primer (mostly), with rust bubbles and a bashed-up
front end, I figure that any unsolicited offers coming from persons that
don't even know what kind of car it is are not to be taken seriously.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 3/16/13 5:48 PM, [email-masked] at [email-masked]
wrote:

> I am appreciative when I drive my MG and someone not only says "nice car,
> yada, yada, yada" but also inquires about "buying"  I've had this one around
> 30 years but when I sell it I don't care what they change, modify or alter.
> And if it stopped running and broke down, unlike Paul, cash would be king.
> Fortunately, mine does not break down (yet) Mel
> -

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 18:56:57 -0400

Well said dontoy. I admire and respect your response.  Sadly, my dad was more about bonding over lawn maintainance.  My children have no interest in cars except as transportation.  Our youngest is 31 and never cared to learn how to drive a straight shift.  Still, I've had old British cars since HS and 50 years later they are still a special treat to own and drive....Mel
----

[email-masked]