Subject: Re: [Mgs] XPAG engine + gearbox weight

From: "David F. Darby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:39:04 -0500

Hello Rick,

My advice, which might be worth 2p on a good day, is to purchase a unit with
much more capacity than you think you might need. The difference in cost
won't be that much and you will have a greater safety margin and increased
capability. My reasoning is that it's better to have and not need than to
need and not have.

Good luck,

David

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Rick Lindsay
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 4:50 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Mgs] XPAG engine + gearbox weight

Hello Friends,

I'm about to buy a hoist for my garage but I don't want to buy one much
bigger than I will ever need. B This leads me to ask the weight of an XPAG
engine with gearbox attached, but otherwise stripped as per the workshop
manual. B 

Please advise if you know the weight, or have a good estimate. B Thank you.

-rick, in Houston.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 09:54:23 -0000

Didn't see the question but if this is a trolley hoist and not a roof hoist 
I'd also advise comparing the width and height of the legs of the hoist with 
your front suspension, a pal has had to put his front wheels on blocks so 
the legs would fit under the spring pans.  Also check the extension of the 
boom, when getting the engine out of a rubber bumper B I had to go in from 
the side as even at full extent the hoist hit the front of the car before 
the hook was over the middle of the engine.  That entailed dragging the 
whole lot sideways, against the run of the wheels of course, to get the 
engine on and off the gearbox shaft.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> much more capacity than you think you might need.... 

[email-masked]