Subject: Re: [Mgs] Front End Re-Bushing (Late B)

From: "Hans Duinhoven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 12:22:34 +0100

I have V8 bushings for 20 years in my GT and these last very well.
No sounds are produced, because it still is based on a rubber compound.
ProThane bushings are very hard, so hardly absorb any vibrations.

I used to press them in with a B&D Workmate, after applying Vaseline to the
outer side of the bushing and the place where it is pressed into.
Vaseline also is good against the rubber to dry out.

Cheers,
Hans
71 BGT 

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Namens
[email-masked]
Verzonden: zaterdag 9 maart 2013 3:08
Aan: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]
Onderwerp: Re: [Mgs] Front End Re-Bushing (Late B)

Gene,
  Choose anything other than the OEM rubber bushings. My experience with the
replacement bushings, the rubber two-piece and the V8, is that five years is
all you can expect from them, less if you take the car out of the garage and
enjoy it.
   I hesitated, twice, to use the red ProThane bushings because my present
MGB is a GT, and the catalogue notes that the ProThane bushings may transmit
more noise. Cabin resonance in the GT I a concern.
  For the third buying replacement, I installed the ProThane and have been
delighted with them. There is no additional noise that I can detect, and the
improvement in ride and handling is significant. I always liked the GT, but
always felt that this car was both stiff and lumbering. That feeling is
banished. It handles much better and is much more taut under all conditions.
   I am changing my TD to synthetic bushings too, as the present five year
old front bushings appear to be as worn as the sixty year old bushings in
rear springs and shackles.
   Assuming that the nuts and bolts separate without damage, you won't need
any new parts. But check bushing for anti sway bar and all the other bits in
the front, as you don't want to remove control arms and springs any more
often than necessary. It's not complicated (there are instructions easily
found) but you do have to release a spring, and the spring, even on its
rebound rubbers, has a lot of energy.
   If alignment is ok now, it should remain ok.
Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Eugene Balinski" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mgs] Front End Re-Bushing  (Late B)
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 20:02:59 -0500

All,

   I need to replace the rubber FE bushings on my 1980 B.
They are egg shaped and I think are ready to break through.
I have a couple of questions;

Moss has a several types of bushings.  Is there one type that is preferred,
and why ? I am an average driver that puts on about 1-2 k miles a year,
mostly back roads.

Regarding the actual replacement  - are there any "gotchas"?  Any special
tools required ?  Should I replace the hardware as well as the bushings ?
Will the FE need to be realigned.

Thanks in advance,

   Gene
80 B
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 13:54:43 -0000

Ditto, I've done 100k in the V8 and not changed them, and the car has done 
over 200k.  If they were bad it would be an MOT failure.  I replaced the 
A-arms on the roadster and use V8 bushes on that, they are probably still 
just bedding-in after 15 years and 30k or so.

Still, one man's, erm, rubber is possibly different to another's.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 08:29:23 -0600

I redid my suspension, 9 years ago, the year after I got it. The a-arms were
also bad and I replaced them, and of course, the king pins. My poor car had
been neglected. I got the negitive camber a-arms.

It had V8 bushings that were still in good shape, I have them in a box
somewhere.

I replaced everything with the red prothane, and have be very happy with them.
They are not harsh in my opinion.

If I remember correctly, I got all the bushings at Summit Racing. At the time,
Moss only had the a-arm bushes.

Paul.

On Mar 9, 2013, at 5:22 AM, Hans Duinhoven wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 09:34:23 -0500

I used the V8 bushings from Moss because I did not like the 
murmurings that polywally things would be noisy.   This despite me 
soundproofing my GT V8 with a lot of stuff (my own developed 
soundproofing which is 1/4 the price of Dynamat and twice as 
effective).  They are fine after 5 or more years and no signs of 
deterioration.

It may be that those pollywally things are pushed by suppliers 
because the markup is so high.   You can make them yourself for 
pennies so in bulk they probably are less than a penny each but sold 
for relatively big wallops of cash.

At 01:54 PM 3/9/2013 +0000, PaulHunt73 wrote:
>Ditto, I've done 100k in the V8 and not changed them, and the car 
>has done over 200k.  If they were bad it would be an MOT failure.  I 
>replaced the A-arms on the roadster and use V8 bushes on that, they 
>are probably still just bedding-in after 15 years and 30k or so.
>
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

Regards

Barrie
[email-masked]
705-721-9060 

[email-masked]

---

From: Matt Trebelhorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 11:08:15 -0500

V8 bushings -- even if assembled with anti-sieze -- can and do rust  
to the pivot shaft.  Disassembly is not simple.

After learning that lesson, the only choice for me is the poly  
bushings.  No complaints about how they feel, they seem to have a  
decent life span, and -- having no metal -- aren't going to rust in  
place.

Matt

[email-masked]