Subject: Re: [Mgs] Poor start

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:24:34 GMT

Hi Monte,  First thing to check is ignition.  After months of rest, there
could be some corrosion on the points. Pull a piece of card or paper between
them. That may suffice. More difficult to deal with is the possibility that
the fuel has gone stale in the carb bowls. It will burn, but not as easily as
when fresh. Engine may be difficult to start, but run more or less OK when
warm. If you can get the car to drive well enough to burn off fuel in the tank
and then buy new, that problem may go away. If you had H or HS carbs, I would
suggest opening them and having a look inside the bowls, but one prefers to
avoid doing that to HIFs.Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Monte Jane Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mgs] Poor start
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 08:52:53 -0600

Hi all,
I've been lurking for years without a problem to research, but one has
recently cropped up.
For the past 8 years, our B sits idle 6-8 months per year. It usually
starts right up after the fuel pump fills the bowls but this year is
different.
I had to crank and crank and it flooded. I waited until the next day and
cranked for a while and then it started and ran fine. Yesterday, it was
again hard to start but ran fine on the way to town. If you turn it off for
a few minutes, it will start right up but if you let it set 10 minutes or
more it requires cranking about 3 times for 15-20 seconds each. I don't
notice the fuel pump clicking excessively when this happens (in fact, I
don't notice it clicking at all but it probably shouldn't in this short
amount of time). Once it starts, it runs fine both in town and on the
highway.
This B has always started right up with no excessive cranking. Any thoughts
where I start looking?
Thanks,
Monte

1979B, de-smogged with HIF's, carbon canisters, and a points dizzy
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]