Subject: [Mgs] roving burglars looking for MGs?

From: Don <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 19:55:18 -0800

On Monday night, or very early Tuesday morning, intruders came into 
our yard and did some mischief.  My MGs were in a garage, which was 
closed but unlocked.  Apparently they did not go into the garage at 
all, so the MGs were not tampered with nor was anything taken from 
inside the garage..  But, owner's manuals and keys were taken from 
three of my Japanese cars; two of the cars were in a carport, and one 
was outside.  It's a mystery as to what they were up to, as valuables 
were not taken, nor any of the cars taken.  Perhaps they could not 
drive a standard shift and that stopped 'em from taking a car.  I do 
live in a rural area, and until this happened, felt comfortable 
leaving keys in cars, and door unlocked.

Below is an email I got from my brother-in-law.  You must read the 
article that is linked in his email about a fellow back east who had 
a hoarding habit, and the hoarding included MGs.  My brother-in-law 
has a great sense of humor, and he knows that at one time I had about 
eight MGs in various states of repair or disrepair in my yard.

Don Scott,  Calistoga
1955 MGTF, 1962 MGA Mk 2, 1967 MGB, 1963-7 MGB (seeking), Misc. Japanese cars

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email from my brother-in-law:

Subject: roving burglars looking for MGs?
To: Anne Scott <[email-masked]>, don <[email-masked]>
         boundary="-1172831624-764119559-1359764264=:83630"

Hi Anne & Don,

I'm sorry to hear about the burglary. It doesn't sound as if they 
made off with much of yours, and I'm grateful to hear that.

Wouldn't you know it but I just came across this article about some 
burglars who are targeting people with lots of MGs. (nothing in the 
article about Miatas) They were in VT so unless it's a nationwide 
ring, I doubt it's the same people.

<http://news.yahoo.com/looters-steal-200k-coins-hoarders-death-205449015.html>http://news.yahoo.com/looters-steal-200k-coins-hoarders-death-205449015.html

 From the photos in the article, do you recognize any of them?

Danny

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email that I sent to my neighbors:

Subject:  Burglaries on Scott Way
To:  undisclosed recipients

Friends and neighbors,
Last night someone or someones, broke into the Bazzoli house (located 
near us on Scott Way) and stole two guns.  He/they also came into our 
yard and stole the owner's manuals from two cars, and the keys from 
three cars.  Strange things to take from us, but maybe they were 
intoxicated or something.  The keys to my Miata were in Dan Bazzoli's 
truck, and the sheriff's deputy gave them back to me.  The car books 
are gone, along with all the repair receipts in them.  Maybe the 
thief collects owner's manuals and keys?  Guns can be sold at least 
for quick cash.
So, keep your eyes and ears open for mischief in the area, and car 
keys and manuals scattered on the ground.
Don Scott 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: David Breneman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 09:50:20 -0800 (PST)

--- On Fri, 2/1/13, Don <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Apparently they did not
go into
> the garage at 
> all, so the MGs were not tampered with nor was
anything
> taken from 
> inside the garage..  But, owner's manuals and keys
were
> taken from 
> three of my Japanese cars; two of the cars were in a
>
carport, and one 
> was outside.  It's a mystery as to what they were up
> to,
as valuables 
> were not taken, nor any of the cars taken. 

About a dozen
years ago, some kids came into my
yard and rooted through my car at the time,
an S-10
Chevy Blazer.  They left a portable CD player, my
Valentine One radar
detector and my checkbook.  They
opened and looked at a Webster wire recorder
that
was in back.  They took a ring of keys, a laser
pointer, a canvas satchel
I used as a brief case
(after dumping the contents out), and a London Fog
rain
coat.  It was December, and when the Christmas
lights on the garage (on a
timer) came on, it scared
them off.  The car doors closing woke me up.  From
that point on, I put in a motion-sensing yard light
(which since has been
turned on numerous times by
deer and raccoons, but never by burglars).  I also
lock my car at night.  Sad to have to do that in
your own yard, but this was
the second time this had
happened in 15 years.  My MGA in locked in the
garage, as prescribed by Hagerty.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]