Subject: [Healeys] List notes

From: Mark Bradakis via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2025 03:01:06 -0700

There was some discussion on another list regarding list activity of 
late.  This is what I wrote, thought some of you might be interested.

=====

A lot has changed over the last 35 years or so.  When I took over from 
Jim Muller, who took over from Dale Cook, back in the late 80s the 
"Internet" was still a wet behind the ears baby.  These days, wow, 
completely different!

This list is a fragment of the original british-cars list.  But one 
thing has not changed, and that is my commitment to providing this 
content as best I can, free of charge.  Sure there were times when I did 
*everything* by hand, one request at a time, for email address changes, 
additions, deletions.  There were times I was belittled for making what 
seemed like arbitrary decisions to the unaware observer. There were 
times I worked 20 - 30 hours a week on Team dot Net, even before it was 
Team dot Net.

These days my workload is way down, thanks to automated email list 
software.  But things are always changing when it comes to computers. 
These days it is all still running, but who knows for how long.

Mailman 2, the version I have running on the Team Net server, was 
released in April of 2004.  It has long since been shuffled off to 
inactive status as far as the folks maintaining it are concerned.  But 
still it chugs along, these days pieced together with chewing gum and 
baling wire.

In case you are wondering:

  [root@autox data]# uptime
  15:13:45 up 876 days, 21:00,  1 user,  load average: 0.61, 0.55, 0.59
  [root@autox data]# uname -a
  Linux autox 5.3.11-100.fc29.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 12 20:41:25 UTC 2019 
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Yes, the server has not been booted for about 2 and a half years.  The 
fc29 in the uname output is the level of Fedora running, last updated in 
2019.  My personal computer is at revision 41.  A LOT has changed.  I 
fear that if the server goes down, it may never come back up cleanly on 
its own.  I am hoping to make it go for at least 1,000 days of 
continuous running.  But I'll burn that bridge before we cross it, or 
however the saying goes.

For now, there are people who still enjoy these old lists, still finding 
them useful, and a lot more appealing than mass market social media 
outlets, with advertising you need to wade through to find anything 
worthwhile.

And as long as I am able, I will keep it that way.  Enjoy the coming 
festive season!

mjb.

ps:  A week before the winter solstice, and I just got back from a top 
down drive with the British Motor Club of Utah.  Sunny, mid 50s here in 
the Salt Lake area.  Unreal!

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys